Draft Profile Tarryn Thomas [NGA for North Melbourne]

Pykie

10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
Leeds United

Thread to discuss arguably the best Tasmanian u/18 prospect since Jack Riewoldt & Kade Kolodjashnij.

Tall aboriginal midfielder in the mold of Shaun Burgoyne.

2018 highlights (courtesy giantroo):

Pykie

10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
Leeds United
Have read a bit about this kid over the past few months. Based on that video against a poor standard of opposition Im going with 20-30 draft range at best.

He looks at this stage a top 15 pick and as high as top 6-7, will have to see how he gos this year.

MaddAdam

10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
Sounds like he is developing very very nicely indeed, abd could well slot straight into the North side next year given his pace and outside class.

Jordie_tackles

Jun 25, 2009
G-town
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Sounds like he is developing very very nicely indeed, abd could well slot straight into the North side next year given his pace and outside class.
Your only worry is that he gets too good and forces you to use your first (unlikely) but still

MaddAdam

10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Your only worry is that he gets too good and forces you to use your first (unlikely) but still

I don't understand this logic - if he's good enough for us to have to use the relevant pick, then so what, we've got a great prospect.

I actually think we'll get him for unders - he'll pick a pick 6-8 type and we'll have pick 9/10, maybe later by the time yet more draft handouts are given to clubs like Carlton and St Kilda.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I don't understand this logic - if he's good enough for us to have to use the relevant pick, then so what, we've got a great prospect.

I actually think we'll get him for unders - he'll pick a pick 6-8 type and we'll have pick 9/10, maybe later by the time yet more draft handouts are given to clubs like Carlton and St Kilda.
Glad to see the worst club over the last 4 years doesn’t get a hand out.

MaddAdam

Jun 8, 2011
Glad to see the worst club over the last 4 years doesn’t get a hand out.

You actually deserve it and show some signs, and would be a lot better off had players not racked off on you.

Jordie_tackles

Jun 25, 2009
G-town
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC

Would be nicer if he is nominated just after your first and you can use your 2nd and 3rd on him. But agree if he is such a great prospect then that's great too.

HBFlanker

Jul 23, 2008
I reckon he will get nominated around pick 10.

hard to judge where north will finish, but if we have pick 5 to 7, i reckon we could be safe and get a gun prospect + Thomas.

Makes it hard to get the points together for Blakey, Scott and Crocker though

Jordie_tackles

Jun 25, 2009
G-town
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC

hard to judge where north will finish, but if we have pick 5 to 7, i reckon we could be safe and get a gun prospect + Thomas.

That would be a huge win.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Blakey : pick 4-8 = 1550-2000 points
Thomas: pick 8-12 = 1250-1550 points
Scott: 20-25 = 750-900 points
Crocker: 30+ = 500-600 points

= max: 5250 point - 20% = 4200 points.
= min: 2925 point - 20% = 2340 points.

North finish 12th: = 1644 + 629 + 700 (West Coast 5th & StKilda 15th) + 80 = 3053 points, then there's up to 1700 odd points available for 2019 picks.

North could theoretically get it done. We'd probably have to trade up if we managed to make the finals.

HBFlanker

Jul 23, 2008
Blakey : pick 4-8 = 1550-2000 points
Thomas: pick 8-12 = 1250-1550 points
Scott: 20-25 = 750-900 points
Crocker: 30+ = 500-600 points

= max: 5250 point - 20% = 4200 points.
= min: 2925 point - 20% = 2340 points.

North finish 12th: = 1644 + 629 + 700 (West Coast 5th & StKilda 15th) + 80 = 3053 points, then there's up to 1700 odd points available for 2019 picks.

North could theoretically get it done. We'd probably have to trade up if we managed to make the finals.

Awesome post mate. Fingers crossed we can get this done

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
iu

MaddAdam

Jun 8, 2011
That goal is just ridiculous.

We're getting an absolute steal here.

Pykie

Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
Leeds United

Rockstar6

Dec 23, 2012
Manchester United, Utah Jazz
We have. It's not like he just popped out of a sprinkler head and all of a sudden he was on our radar and North just happened to be the sole beneficiary. We have been watching him for years, had him training with us when permitted, is going to play with our VFL team at some point this year and will ultimately land at North fair and square.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
We have. It's not like he just popped out of a sprinkler head and all of a sudden he was on our radar and North just happened to be a beneficiary. We have been watching him for years, had him training with us when permitted, is going to play with our VFL team at some point this year and will ultimately land at North fair and square.
Tell me, when did North set up their Tasmanian NGA academy and run their first training session?

Fact is Thomas has had less than two years contact with your club, and was a gun at U16 & U18 level before he had any involvement with your club.

Rockstar6

Dec 23, 2012
Tell me, when did North set up their Tasmanian NGA academy and run their first training session?

Fact is Thomas has had less than two years contact with your club, and was a gun at U16 & U18 level before he had any involvement with your club.
What does starting of NGA training sessions got to do with him? Was he not allowed to be scouted by our among other recruiters? Thomas would have been on the radar ever since we signed a deal to play home games in Tasmania which was alot longer than 2 years ago. There has been a bit of behind the scenes stuff between him and the club. All this is a bit rich coming from someone who's club also has an academy. You must be a tad jealous of how good Thomas will be compared to Keays, Ballanden even though Thomas is yet to be drafted!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
What does starting of NGA training sessions got to do with him? Was he not allowed to be scouted by our among other recruiters? Thomas would have been on the radar ever since we signed a deal to play home games in Tasmania which was alot longer than 2 years ago. There has been a bit of behind the scenes stuff between him and the club. All this is a bit rich coming from someone who's club also has an academy. You must be a tad jealous of how good Thomas will be compared to Keays, Ballanden even though Thomas is yet to be drafted!
Believe you are missing the point. Might want to go back through the discussion to understand the actual point.

Yes we have a academy. Our kids have to spend 5 years in our system to be eligible.

All I was saying is you guys have been gifted a gun by the AFL, without having to put in any of the development.

Every clubs recruiters had Thomas on their radar from the U16 champs in 2016. Cause the kid went on and played in the U18 champs for Tasmania that same year.

North only set up their NGA academy in Tasmania after those champs.

Pykie

Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
Leeds United
Believe you are missing the point. Might want to go back through the discussion to understand the actual point.

Yes we have a academy. Our kids have to spend 5 years in our system to be eligible.

All I was saying is you guys have been gifted a gun by the AFL, without having to put in any of the development.

Every clubs recruiters had Thomas on their radar from the U16 champs in 2016. Cause the kid went on and played in the U18 champs for Tasmania that same year.

Let’s end the no development line then.

We didn’t put any development into him before he was 15, since then we have. I’d argue we’ve put more time into him than most of the kids in the northern academies not from metro Sydney/Brisbane areas. We fly him over to Melbourne regularly.

Let me roll out the line that you guys love to do in the academy thread.

He might not of been as good as he is now (article today in herald sun saying he’s now firming as a top 3 pick) without our involvement, so it’s great for the competion as a whole to have a very highly ranked Tasmanian after their recent troubles.

Some kids are naturally talented, like Nick Blakey.

Rockstar6

Dec 23, 2012

So your saying we set up a NGA just for Thomas? The AFL only let us set up this NGA after those champs. It's not like we said, oh look there is this gun kid in Tassie who looks like in instant star lets go ask the AFL for a NGA for that kids zone/area. We had been connected to Tassie for a much longer time than that. I guarantee we have been looking at and working with Thomas for more than 24 months. What development can he do without him being on the list and living in Melbourne full time? He has been training with us for years. He is on a similar path to Luke McDonald who trained with us as an under 18, eventually played for our reserves side and then a spot on our list. Again, your just jealous that "little old North" are starting to reap benefits of the hard work and commitment they put into Tassie and for not lingering at the bottom of the ladder for 10 years straight.