Draft Profile Tarryn Thomas [NGA for North Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

You've got 1677 points all up (or ~2098 points in picks after factoring in the 20%).

If TT is a top 10 pick as North fans keep telling us, that's ~1400 pts (1395 for pick 10)...703 remaining would be pick 27 for Scott (27 is exactly 703, and again, that pick is well within what you guys say he's worth). Those 2 picks would leave you with 0 pts left, and still needing to use a bunch of late picks to round out your list.

Anything higher than those picks and it gets interesting (which is the possibility I'm talking about).

Worse however, is what do you do if another club goes with a high pick for TT (especially)...The picks you have leave you in a position where you really can't NOT match almost any bid. What would your club do if, just for example, GC bid on him with pick 3, or pick 6?

Turns out he IS a top ten pick and we matched it hey.

Nothing is a big win until they actually perform.

Gloating this early rarely pays off. Luke McDonald was a “big win” at the time too

Yeah, it isn't like he's been delisted. Didn't have his best year this year, but he has played some really really good footy and is still all of 22/23.

So we’ve now covered the points for Scott.

Shock horror the North recruiting team knew what they were doing over a Richmond numpty.

Turns out that trading Polec for our first was even more of an outstanding decision than initially thought. Effectively Polec and 8 (Thomas) for 11 and a few later picks.

Turns out he IS a top ten pick and we matched it hey.

Indeed, and it sets things up quite interestingly for the deficit scenario I've mentioned.

By my reckoning, if Scott goes before pick 35, and North match, they will be 'owing' next year and their 2nd rounder will drop accordingly.

As I've said, Collingwood is in a similar situation if they have to match for Kelly (in their case, it's before pick 39).

Indeed, and it sets things up quite interestingly for the deficit scenario I've mentioned.

By my reckoning, if Scott goes before pick 35, and North match, they will be 'owing' next year and their 2nd rounder will drop accordingly.

As I've said, Collingwood is in a similar situation if they have to match for Kelly (in their case, it's before pick 39).

Your reckoning is wrong.

We’ve already covered the points if he goes at the very next pick.

We have 839 points if you include the 197pt discount for matching outside the first round.

Pick 23 = 815

If Scott goes at around 30, we will actually get a residual pick back around the low 50’s

Last edited:

Pick 39 for Kelly? We currently have 554 points total.

If West Coast bid for him at 23, worth 815 points, we get a discount of 197 which takes it down to 618. We'd go into deficit by 64 points. Not much. Only takes until 25 to match and not be in deficit.

Assuming Eagles bid pick 23 (845 points), the minimum father son discount is 197 points which means we would need 648 points. We have picks 50 (273), 52 (246) and 62 (123) for a total of 642 points. In that scenario our 2nd round pick next year would be discounted by 6 points. Any other pick other than 23 and we wont go into deficit. I am assuming nobody will bid on Crocker.

Assuming Eagles bid pick 23 (845 points), the minimum father son discount is 197 points which means we would need 648 points. We have picks 50 (273), 52 (246) and 62 (123) for a total of 642 points. In that scenario our 2nd round pick next year would be discounted by 6 points. Any other pick other than 23 and we wont go into deficit. I am assuming nobody will bid on Crocker.
Pick 23 is 815.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 23 = 815

Yeah but nah.

Ah well, you'll always have Dusty re-signing.

So in a round about way it's been:

Pick 11 (Caldwell), 42, 47, 48 for Pick 8 (Thomas), #62 & Polec.

Pretty good I would of thought.

Come on, lighten up and have a laugh. I’m not taking away your chance to gloat about winning at the draft.

We both know Essendon have won the draft because they paid more than Hawthorn were willing to for a small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back