Draft Profile Tarryn Thomas [NGA for North Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL draft guru Kevin Sheehan has labelled outrageously talented Tasmanian Tarryn Thomas’s championships better than any he has seen by an individual in his time covering the under-18s.

Thomas underlined his talents with five goals in another best-afield performance in Tasmania’s 42-point win over the GWS Giants Academy at the Twin Ovals on Saturday.

Sheehan said it capped off a remarkable unbeaten series for the team, with Thomas the standout.

“If there has been a better display at under-18 level, I can’t remember it,” Sheehan said.

“He has been just brilliant.

“He was best on the ground outright in four of the five matches and certainly in the best players in the fifth. He really dominated the series.”

Sheehan said Thomas, from North Launceston, fitted comfortably beside a handful of players for the No.1 national draft pick, especially given his versatility, but appears set to go to North Melbourne as part of the Roos Next Generation Academy selection.

“You only have to go back a couple of years where he was the most valuable player in the under-16s and in the under-18s in the same year — no one has ever done that,” Sheehan said.

“He’s continued that form into his 18th year and looks an outstanding prospect wherever you might play him.”

MORE: MARINERS COMPLETE CLEAN SWEEP

He said that in the forward line Thomas would have any defender nervous with his evasiveness, goal sense and strong marking.

“We saw that on Saturday [against the Giants] with his five goals and then he could play off half-back and set the play up or he could play in the middle and win contested ball,” Sheehan said.

“His marking is strong one on one, he can take pack marks, he’s got good speed — he’s got all the attributes to be a future star of the game.”

Sheehan is part of the Allies selection panel that has already nominated 12 Tasmanians for the upcoming division one championships — Thomas, Fraser Turner, Baxter Norton, Chayce Jones, Nick Baker, Mitch Anderton, Matt McGuinness, Rhyan Mansell, Tim Auckland, Blair Rubock, Mitch O’Neill and Lachie Gadomski.

But Sheehan said another name could be added when the initial squad was announced on Wednesday.

“All of the boys that get through and play for the Allies are in the running to be drafted,” he said.

“There is obviously a dozen or more contenders in the squad. We’ll cut it probably to 30 to 32 who will play and, if you get into that, it is all a matter of how you perform,” he said.

Fun fact. Shares name with someone else who has plenty of videos on the internet. Great ball handling skills. Willingness to take on multiple opponents. Applies frontal and rear pressure. I cannot help but giggle every time I see this name. So immature.

Fun fact. Shares name with someone else who has plenty of videos on the internet. Great ball handling skills. Willingness to take on multiple opponents. Applies frontal and rear pressure. I cannot help but giggle every time I see this name. So immature.
That post is hard to swallow

Have read a bit about this kid over the past few months. Based on that video against a poor standard of opposition Im going with 20-30 draft range at best.

Nah being way too optimistic there I reckon. Late draft/rookie selection. If I was other clubs I wouldn't waste time following him or bidding on him.

#46 Tarryn Thomas

Another game, another best on performance for Thomas who starred, winning the ball in each of the thirds – defence, midfield and attack. He started on the defensive side of the centre and moved through the midfield before finishing at full-forward. He booted just the one goal later in the match after getting goal side, but was able to impact the contest in multiple ways. In one instant he stopped Will Kelly in his tracks with a fantastic tackle, put pressure on Xavier O’Halloran as he tried to take him on, and showed great vision to bring his teammates into the game on multiple occasions. The best example of his class is his cleanliness which he showed in one instance where he spoiled an opponent with one hand, picked it up cleanly with the other all in one-grab and then hand-balled to space as if he had all the time in the world. Unbelievable piece of play.

25 disposals (18 contested), 2 marks, 11 tackles, 1 goal, 1 behind for Thomas against VM.

25 disposals (18 contested), 2 marks, 11 tackles, 1 goal, 1 behind for Thomas against VM.

I think he will manage to skate past the draftee contested/uncontested ratio factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems the Swans style policy of a few quiet games and an injury didn't work so it's on to the 'off field concerns'. The old Jack Darling ploy.

Skipping school? Every day he turns up is a day more than Jack Higgins did.

Absolutely.

Our first pick is apparently off the table with Port and there is no way a club is bidding on Thomas before our first.

Potential for a Polec/Gaff/Rozee/Thomas offseason.

Absolutely.

Our first pick is apparently off the table with Port and there is no way a club is bidding on Thomas before our first.

Potential for a Polec/Gaff/Rozee/Thomas offseason.
How do you intend to get Polec without your first pick

How do you intend to get Polec without your first pick

Rumours of Sam Durdin wanting a return to SA.

I imagine some future picks may be involved.

This will be one of the more drawn out deals of trade week imo.

You are delusional.

On which part?

I'm perfectly comfortable using our first on Polec.

However, this is the scuttlebutt getting around at the moment.

North doing what every other club with a father son / academy player has.

Talk him down publically and be non-commital.

They will get him. I wouldn’t be surprised if we bid on him with our first if there but it will already have happened by then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back