Tas AFL team potential membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reported that 50k have signed up as of 9:30. Incredible.
While that's great, we need to keep a lid on expectations. At $10 a membership, they're only made the revenue of what would equate to 800-900 11 Game GA memberships at other clubs.

While that's great, we need to keep a lid on expectations. At $10 a membership, they're only made the revenue of what would equate to 800-900 11 Game GA memberships at other clubs.
How many of these foundation members would likely sign up as true members in your opinion.

yeah this feel like a baby west coast. where the creation of the team is associated with state patriotism. thus everyone and their dog has a fondness and love for a team.

thus lots of people sign on. generating a very talented club, good finances and playing talent quickly.

yeah this feel like a baby west coast. where the creation of the team is associated with state patriotism. thus everyone and their dog has a fondness and love for a team.

thus lots of people sign on. generating a very talented club, good finances and playing talent quickly.
There's the issue that WA has more than 5x the population, is far more concentrated in one area (Perth has ~70% of the state population), and West Coast nationalised the VFL. Unfortunately Tassie doesn't have these advantages. More likely we see a smaller diehard fanbase develop, rapidly overtaking GC / GWS but, without fudging the numbers through dirt cheap memberships, I can't see it hitting even North Melbourne levels any time in the next decade

There's the issue that WA has more than 5x the population, is far more concentrated in one area (Perth has ~70% of the state population), and West Coast nationalised the VFL. Unfortunately Tassie doesn't have these advantages. More likely we see a smaller diehard fanbase develop, rapidly overtaking GC / GWS but, without fudging the numbers through dirt cheap memberships, I can't see it hitting even North Melbourne levels any time in the next decade

There is a time for realisim, its not today. ;-)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The higher cost will bring the numbers down significantly, but twenty to thirty thousand in year one will be a great effort.
Yes logically. Though I admit even if the founding membership had of been 10 times the cost I still would have got one.

But I guess you wouldn't be seeing people get one for their whole families etc.

People have to remember its difficult to get people to even sign a petition, let alone sign up and spend $10. This huge membership number shows we have so much more support than I think anyone even dreamed of!

Of course we won't get 70,000 full paid members in our first year, but I think 30-40k is now the minimum. It won't be lower than 30k. Remember not every member of all existing clubs are full paid. There will be a lot of different membership offers. Every single game at the Hobart stadium will be sold out.

Last edited:
They’re gunning for 100,000 today. If even a quarter of those sign up to be full season members all won’t get a seat in a supposed new stadium.

They’re gunning for 100,000 today. If even a quarter of those sign up to be full season members all won’t get a seat in a supposed new stadium.

I suspect that this isn't a "real" membership. As in, this isn't at all hooked up to the Ticketmaster system that the other clubs use.

How many foundation members are from other clubs? Based in Adelaide, I'm a Port Adelaide member first and foremost but I also signed up as a Tassie foundation member.

I have no plans to sign up to a game day membership but will consider a low tier membership going forward if available.

How many foundation members are from other clubs? Based in Adelaide, I'm a Port Adelaide member first and foremost but I also signed up as a Tassie foundation member.

I have no plans to sign up to a game day membership but will consider a low tier membership going forward if available.
There is simply no way of knowing. Most Tasmanians support another club, myself included, but will either switch to the Devils or have two teams.

ibd77 I am from Perth and I am a Carlton interstate member. Like you, I would not get a full Devils membership once they are playing in the AFL but I could potentially get an interstate membership for the Devils if the deal was attractive.

Last edited:

I'm obviously a North supporter. I hope they do a Melbourne-based membership option. Lots of Tasmanians here who will attend the games, but maybe don't want to shell out for a full membership.

I'm obviously a North supporter. I hope they do a Melbourne-based membership option. Lots of Tasmanians here who will attend the games, but maybe don't want to shell out for a full membership.

No doubt they will have interstate memberships. I am from Perth and our whole family are Carlton interstate members.

I note around 10% of Victorians have some sort of AFL membership. If that is replicated in Tasmania, that gives us some 57,000 members. That doesn't include expats.
So lets say around 50,000 in Tasmania. they never all go, but its still seems that a 23,000 capacity stadium will be a little under the odds. Also UTas seemingly will need an upgrade as well. Both really need to be up to the 30,000 mark to allow for some AFL tourists as well. It;ll thus also be likely a 35,000 capacity for concerts & events will be just a little more attractive.
Anyway, we have an election to get through yet. With 70.000 foundation members by then, at least! All the successful politicians will need to think about this quite amazing response to the start up of Tasmania F.C.
70.000 people vote!!! ( Well those in Tassie anyway) :D

People have to remember its difficult to get people to even sign a petition, let alone sign up and spend $10. This huge membership number shows we have so much more support than I think anyone even dreamed of!

Of course we won't get 70,000 full paid members in our first year, but I think 30-40k is now the minimum. It won't be lower than 30k. Remember not every member of all existing clubs are full paid. There will be a lot of different membership offers. Every single game at the Hobart stadium will be sold out.
That’s right and it shows the Tasmania government that the Tasmanian people want and deserve this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back