BIFF62

Debutant
Jun 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I posted this on the Footy Jumpers & Graphic Design Forum/What Footy Jumpers Do you own thread hoping to get some information about the two pictured jumpers. A few weeks now and no response. So now I brought the post across to this Forum hoping some of the local Tassie members can help. Original post shown below. So for the long winded post and new thread.
________________________________________________________________________________________
This is one for the Tassie members. I’m trying to obtain some information about these two Tasmanian jumpers. I have googled myself to death and haven’t been able to find much information or images of use for them. Information I received from the seller about the first jumper was that it was issued for use in a Tasmania Under23 game against a South Australian Amateur side in 2008. He didn’t get to use it as he was injured? As can be seen the jumper is made by Kombat and has the VFL logo. It also has the Tru Energy sponsorship logo. As far as I know this sponsorship was only used until the end of the 2007 VFL season not being renewed for 2008. I have found information which suggests this maybe a Tassie Devils jumper that was used during a Heritage type round when they played Sandringham on 7th July, 2007. The logo on the left breast says “Darryl Baldock’s Tassie Greats.” Information suggests these jumpers were available to the public for purchase after the match. Apparently the Devils wore the Tasmania Map jumper during two VFL rounds in 2006 and 2007, not sure if they did during any other season. Can anyone confirm if this is a player issue Devils jumper from 2007 or maybe a replica made for merchandising. If it is a player issue devils jumper could it have been re-used for the under23 game mentioned above. However homework suggests Tassie played WA in Devonport on 01/06/2008 and may have worn jumpers made by Cougar sports. I saw another mention of an Under23 regional squad playing against South Australia on 11/07/2008. Again I can’t confirm or find any exact info.

The next jumper I have been told by Beargrills16 and others on the TSL Board that this jumper is a TFC Under23 side jumper which played South Australia Amateur League on 11/06/2009. I’m happy with this information but again can’t find any images of it being worn in a game. I was also curious as to why white numbering were used on these jumpers as opposed to the standard gold usually seen on the Tasmania jumper. I’ve also seen white numbering on what appeared to be a 2013 TFC Under23 jumper. Can anyone advise why the white numbers were used and for how long and when they reverted back to the gold. Sorry for the long winded post
325636_fe5bacb1df01484f261bc8a302ee3351.jpg
325637_7b26e1eb3d3bda246207247329f05b3c.jpg
325638_e4d82336cbb6576faf3f15bcf370476b.jpg
325639_119f3df7bdedcf02af7edd5f7ac4abad.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

I used to have a Tassie Devils website, and in my materials I came across the Tassie Greats promotion. Each current Devils player was issued with a jumper corresponding to a famous player, and I might have the list buried somewhere. As you say, these matches were played in 2006-07.

I also recall seeing the U23 jumper. Can't explain the numbering other than to say this isn't the official state jumper - the little logos within the Tassie map on the heart represent the leagues which the team was drawn from, such as the NTFL and the NTFA. So in the same way the Vic country jumper has a big V but not the same colouring, the Tassie U23 jumper has differences to distinguish it from the main one - it's not "TFL", as such. Also, the Devils themselves went to white numbering from 2004, and wore a map version jumper with white numbers and trim from 2007 for a bit...adding white everywhere to the Tassie jumper was in vogue at this time, and even when the team folded the map guernseys were still used in some under age teams...

I'll have a look for more info. It's a beautiful sight, the Map, by far the greatest thing in Australian football - I'm assuming this one was a tribute to Alistair Lynch. What would it cost for you to part with it...!?!

Thanks for the info. I don't know who the players in your photo are but the list I have seen said Adam DERBYSHIRE was issued with number 11 and Jason Ling Number 15?

You could very well be right. Brodie Moles is on the left and Jason Ling on the right in the photo, but there's nothing to say they are necessarily wearing their assigned jumpers for the match. Derbyshire was a bustling ff in the style of Alistair Lynch, and looking through the 2006 list you can see clear examples where they've matched player types with allocated jumpers (I don't have the 2007 list)...

Can anybody give me the years these jumpers may have been worn. I think the Tassie Devils jumper was 2008? but I'm not sure about the state jumpers. I had some info about possible years worn but I lost it.

Attachments

• Tasmania Player Issue #19.JPG
    Tasmania Player Issue #19.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 348
  • Tasmania Player Issue #19 (2).JPG
    Tasmania Player Issue #19 (2).JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 275
  • Tasmania Player Issue #26.JPG
    Tasmania Player Issue #26.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Tasmania Player Issue #26 (2).JPG
    Tasmania Player Issue #26 (2).JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 2008 Tassie Devils Player Issue #46.JPG
    2008 Tassie Devils Player Issue #46.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 443
  • 2008 Tassie Devils Player Issue #46 (2).JPG
    2008 Tassie Devils Player Issue #46 (2).JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 336
That one with Cacade Lager on it looks like mid to late 80s. The Devils one was probably 2007 or 8.👍

Devils 2007, a Darryn Cresswell "initiative". They went back to the two-headed mascot in 2008, and wore a white version of the above map as a clash. No.46 was worn by Tom James in 2006, but he doesn't appear to have made it onto the 2007 list...

There was no Tru Energy sponsorship below the VFL logo so I thought they could have been worn after that sponsorship finished at the end of 2007. So was the predominantly green devils jumper only worn for one season? I see the white was around for at least three?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cresswell replaced Matt Armstrong who left after 2006, and one of his stipulations was that the team wore a new jumper that looked more like the state guernsey. Lasted one season, but they kept the white one. After 2008, the map jumpers were used for the Mariners...

The photos - 2007, the co-captains pre season model the new jumpers, Tassie beat West Adelaide in a practice match wearing a yellow version of the two-headed devil, and then photos from Rounds 2-3-4. You can see in the Geelong game there was no blue sponsorship logo, and the round three photo (Leigh Adams, the red head) it seems they didn't have it then either. They definitely had it for Round 4 v Frankston, and it stayed for the season. The last two photos are from 2008, another jumper modelling and the practice match v Collingwood...

07 Co-Captains Scott Stephens and Brett Geappen.jpg 07-PRA Adam Derbyshire v West Adelaide.jpg 07-R02 Paul Koulouriotis.jpg 07-R03 Leigh Adams.jpg 07-R04 Matthew Smith.jpg New Devils jumpers worn by Lachlan George and Tom Langf.jpg PRA1-08 Collingwood captain Scott Burns puts a hard tackle on the Devils' Rhys Long.jpg

Gibbke. Did they use the Devils white version in 2006 also? and confirming the green one only in 2007?

I'm missing photos from about 5 of the matches in 2006, but in all of them (aside from the heritage match where they wore your original post) they are in the Devils logo design, the jumper they had for the majority of their existence. They used the yellow version for practice games. They never had a white version of the logo, and the only other jumper they ever had from 2002 was a red one with Patrick written on the front. The inaugural 2001 jumper was the same template as the Footscray 1996 away strip, and is currently used by the Mariners. The map jumper was brought in by Darryn Cresswell in 2007, so it didn't exist in 2006. In 2007, they wore the white version of the map in Round 6 and the heritage in R13 and that's it, with 3 games missing. All of the rest were the green map...

Thanks again Gibbke. The only reason I mentioned the White Map being used in 2006 was that I found some images on the Getty Images website showing a round 6 match against Werribee on 12/05/2006 with the Devils wearing the white map. This must be incorrectly labelled and is probably the Round 6 2007 game you mentioned. Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back