Workshop Tasmania Kangaroos Logo/Jersey Designs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think moving a team works. Give Tasmanians a team of their own, and don't crush long term North supporters. Nobody wins with an arrangement like that. It's actually a worse move than the Brisbane Lions, because Brisbane lost effectively nothing while Fitzroy lost everything. Moving North means that Tasmania never really get a Tasmanian team, they get a relocated Victorian team.

I don't think moving a team works. Give Tasmanians a team of their own, and don't crush long term North supporters. Nobody wins with an arrangement like that. It's actually a worse move than the Brisbane Lions, because Brisbane lost effectively nothing while Fitzroy lost everything. Moving North means that Tasmania never really get a Tasmanian team, they get a relocated Victorian team.
While I agree with your sentiment that no side would win in this arrangement, I can't see Tasmania getting a team for at least 15+ years with the current financial situation of the AFL. So it's more a question of if Tasmanians are willing to wait that long in order to get a team. I think it's unfair that North Melbourne gets thrown around a lot in this relocation debate but then again they are the ones playing games and promoting their brand over in Tassie so they are sort of bringing the 'unofficial Tassie club' title upon themselves and at the moment they are probably the most realistic choice of any club. I think a North Melbourne relocation to Tassie would benefit them financially, but is it worth selling the soul of your club? Well I guess that's up to the club and supporters to decide when the situation gets dire enough. But the club has been through tougher times so im sure they will get through.

Get in, then you deal with the issues.

Get in, then you deal with the issues.

Starting a club in an area like Western Sydney with no real Footy history & maybe a slight feeling for the Swans when they win, is different to transplanting some established Melbourne team to a mature footy area like Tasmanian.

It wont work. It'll be regarded as North Melbourne. Not Tasmania. Established footy folk who have strong connection to current AFL teams won't take much interest. Waiting a few generations will be a waste of resources.

A proper TasTeam is all that will get the desired support of maximising bums on seats ie memberships. ie paying customers.

Its the paying customers, not media rights or business sponsorships, that'll get the clubs through the next year or two.

Starting a club in an area like Western Sydney with no real Footy history & maybe a slight feeling for the Swans when they win, is different to transplanting some established Melbourne team to a mature footy area like Tasmanian.

It wont work. It'll be regarded as North Melbourne. Not Tasmania. Established footy folk who have strong connection to current AFL teams won't take much interest. Waiting a few generations will be a waste of resources.

A proper TasTeam is all that will get the desired support of maximising bums on seats ie memberships. ie paying customers.

Its the paying customers, not media rights or business sponsorships, that'll get the clubs through the next year or two.
It may not be perfect, but is the offer on the table. I would take it.

It may not be perfect, but is the offer on the table. I would take it.

You might.

I just think it a fraught idea.

I mean how'd it be, if due to circumstance, Port were forced to join North Melbourne, 'Port Roos' a Blue V on a white jumper.??

If somehow it became an option on the table, I think it'd be silly move from the AFL & for Tasmania.

IMHO

they are the ones playing games and promoting their brand over in Tassie so they are sort of bringing the 'unofficial Tassie club' title upon themselves and at the moment they are probably the most realistic choice of any club.
Aren't the Hawks doing that too?

I understand every argument to send us over there but no one seems to recognise that we've got * all debt and are pretty strong off-field. the only reason we still get thrown out there is cos it's the easy headline after we almost (was never actually happening but) went to the Gold Coast.
Tasmania don’t want North Melbourne. They’d rather have Hawthorn
They'll want what the AFL wants them to want and they'll like it!

Tassie have been granted a provisional VFL licence back in 2018. They were planning on entering the league in 2021, but that's probably going to get pushed out now, if the VFL survives at all.

I appreciate that you can be worried about the move. Keep in mind that in the case of the Lions it was a financial decision and the rest of the league clubs objecting to the other offer (a merger with North) creating a "super club". Also the Bears brand disappeared, so the kids that grew up with that (myself included) lost that part of their team as well.

I would liken this more to the South Melbourne > Sydney move, except North has already an established fan base (like what they were trying with Canberra before GWS).

Tassie have been granted a provisional VFL licence back in 2018. They were planning on entering the league in 2021, but that's probably going to get pushed out now, if the VFL survives at all.
I appreciate that you can be worried about the move. Keep in mind that in the case of the Lions it was a financial decision and the rest of the league clubs objecting to the other offer (a merger with North) creating a "super club". Also the Bears brand disappeared, so the kids that grew up with that (myself included) lost that part of their team as well.

I would liken this more to the South Melbourne > Sydney move, except North has already an established fan base (like what they were trying with Canberra before GWS).
Keep in mind too, the AFLW team is the North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might.

I just think it a fraught idea.

I mean how'd it be, if due to circumstance, Port were forced to join North Melbourne, 'Port Roos' a Blue V on a white jumper.??

If somehow it became an option on the table, I think it'd be silly move from the AFL & for Tasmania.

IMHO
Port had to accept being split in two, losing its nickname and colours, getting controlled by the SANFL, etc., in order to join the AFL. Still, it was the right decision.

I'd rather the league expand to 20 teams than have either North Melbourne or Tasmania have to compromise on what they should rightfully be able to have without compromise.

Don't ruin the lives of North supporters. Give Tassie a team that is genuinely their own. We all get a 10th game each week.

I'd rather the league expand to 20 teams than have either North Melbourne or Tasmania have to compromise on what they should rightfully be able to have without compromise.

Don't ruin the lives of North supporters. Give Tassie a team that is genuinely their own. We all get a 10th game each week.
Only issue is timing really. I don't think we should be going to 20 teams until around 2030 so, simply due to how much of an effect it would have in further diluting the player pool.

Tasmania should get their own team, definitely. But I still see why people are so quick to send North over the Strait, they want the financial and marketing benefits of being Tasmania's team without actually being there, as well as having a significantly lower membership base compared to other Tasmania suitors in Hawthorn.

Only issue is timing really. I don't think we should be going to 20 teams until around 2030 so, simply due to how much of an effect it would have in further diluting the player pool.

Tasmania should get their own team, definitely. But I still see why people are so quick to send North over the Strait, they want the financial and marketing benefits of being Tasmania's team without actually being there, as well as having a significantly lower membership base compared to other Tasmania suitors in Hawthorn.
The whole Tasmania situation is a very interesting one. Traditionally and by way of the fans, Tasmania should have a team. But by way of generating profits and through the vision of the AFL, Tasmania isn't the right place for expansion, simply because as you said, it will drain the talent pool. The prime example of this is with the NHL. Canadians love Hockey more than anyone else but only have 7 teams. The NHL sees more profits with the American market, and so when the time comes for expansion, the NHL looks to America. Gold Coast is the equivalent to Arizona, and Tasmania is basically the Quebec Nordiques. I want the Nordiques back as many others do, but it simply won't happen for a long, long while.

No its been rejected by the Tas AFL team. We've been there done that for no good reason or result. The ONLY way it will be supported is if their is a certain outcome on an AFL TasTeam attached to a certain time line.

Otherwise far cough Gill.

I think keeping it 80% the same but adding some minor green to represent tassie would strike the best balance for both north supporters and new tassie supporters to feel like its their team.View attachment 867281
This doesn't look too bad actually. What a way to kick off your first post on BigFooty aswell.
Welcome to the Footy Jumper & Graphic Design Board, always good to see some new faces on here.

I think keeping it 80% the same but adding some minor green to represent tassie would strike the best balance for both north supporters and new tassie supporters to feel like its their team.View attachment 867281
I think the change would have to be much more drastic. Tasmanians would look at this and still see North Melbourne. Perhaps the blue gets replaced with bottle green?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back