Tasmania set to apply for a provisional AFL licence (aiming to enter competition by 2025)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Herald Sun had a story talking about the AFL making 40 million out of the grand final and said some of the money would likely go into Tasmania's AFL bid. I honestly can't see the AFL using some of the money on a Tassie team when they don't really have any concrete plans for a Tassie team.

Outtatym

Senior List
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Herald Sun had a story talking about the AFL making 40 million out of the grand final and said some of the money would likely go into Tasmania's AFL bid. I honestly can't see the AFL using some of the money on a Tassie team when they don't really have any concrete plans for a Tassie team.
Why are you so negative about everything and things that havent even happened?

The_Wookie

Queenslander
Jul 2, 2010
Scamander
AFL Club
Carlton
The article I can see doesnt say that, just that if the AFL breaks even this season, it will help alleviate financial concerns leading up to any expansion.

The AFL has also put off an AFL club vote on an expanded competition until around August next season.

The league said recently it would not be financially prudent to make a decision on Tasmania’s bid for a stand-alone team this year with $700 million in lost earnings from clubs and the AFL over the pandemic.

But a break-even result this season for the AFL and a return to strong profits next year would ease club concerns about profitability as they voted on a 19th team.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why are you so negative about everything and things that havent even happened?
I'm pretty positive with most things in life but most people in Tasmania have a pretty negative view on Tassie's chances of getting a team considering how the AFL has constantly knocked a Tassie team back.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The article I can see doesnt say that, just that if the AFL breaks even this season, it will help alleviate financial concerns leading up to any expansion.

Ok understood
Negativity and misquoting seem to be Mr taswegians favourite things.
I think you will find a large amount of people are negative about Tasmania's chance's of getting a team because they have been given so much hope we would get a team from the AFL in the past and then see it not happen.

Outtatym

Senior List
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm pretty positive with most things in life but most people in Tasmania have a pretty negative view on Tassie's chances of getting a team considering how the AFL has constantly knocked a Tassie team back.
I understand as a Tasmanian you have been burnt a few times but fmd it's like you are cheering for them to reject you so you can have a whinge. Just relax mate it's a long process but it will happen eventually

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I understand as a Tasmanian you have been burnt a few times but fmd it's like you are cheering for them to reject you so you can have a whinge. Just relax mate it's a long process but it will happen eventually
Fair enough,i guess I need to change my mindset,I'm only in my twenties so it's not as if I don't have plenty of time.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough,i guess I need to change my mindset,I'm only in my twenties so it's not as if I don't have plenty of time.
Some of us are older. We maybe don't have so much time. ;)

Remember, footy isn't a matter of life or death. its far more important than that!!!

Anyway, pointless worrying when we have no control over it.

Bjo187

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I can generally forecast what the AFL are up to and if they are up to something dodgey. If the Tasmanian team wasn't favoured in-house you would have Caroline Wilson and the likes being the mouthpiece as to why it isn't viable in the media. Also you wouldn't have Gills mate Alastair Clarkson appointed as a Tasmanian new team representative. If the AFL didn't want this it would have been snuffed out already via a targeted media campaign pushing strongly against it. I agree it is intentionally being delayed but that is smart business as making big decisions during a pandemic isn't sensible. Also they know to get somebody like Clarkson involved assists in getting all the other clubs to vote yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The Tas. economy, for the 7th Quarter in a row, leads all the other States for general economic growth, in % terms.
It is also performing very well in population growth, in relative % terms (Raw pop. growth nos. OK also).

These economic performances, which are expected to continue in the near term at least, are propitious for its chances of becoming the 19th AFL club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad