Tasmania set to apply for a provisional AFL licence (aiming to enter competition by 2025)

Remove this Banner Ad

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Only 1 Tasmanian, S. Banks, was drafted (no. 29) in 2021- ironically from the same, very small rural local club, Woodsdale, as VFL/AFL legend R. Hart.

Banks said

" I grew up training and playing footy with the Woodsdale Footy Club on a little old paddock, pretty much.”

“For my home ground to now be the MCG, it’s a big step but it’s unbelievable. I can’t wait.”

1639780753685.png

Woodsdale FC oval

Tas. is greatly overrepresented, per capita, in the AFL Team Of The Century, & AFL Hall Of Fame- but Tas. Draft nos., in quality as well as quantity, have been poor in recent years, due to AFL neglect.

Furthermore, adding to Tas.'s Draft woes, all States are having difficulty in competing against the growing nos. drafted from Vic. private schools: an increasingly fierce private schools' "football war", where many private schools have an AF hard work/AF pursuit of excellence policy.
This achieves school "glory"; & also, importantly, helps promote their Old Boys (& quickly increasing Old Girls) growing no. of adult school teams in the VAFA...& networking.

It is my understanding that other "low level AF" private schools in Vic. have enviously noted this trend; &, also, that many fathers like to watch their private school daughters play AF, cf them playing other sports.

2. AFL Tasmania 24.11.21 said

"Earlier this year, AFL Tasmania embarked on its Football Futures Project to establish a long-term vision for football across the state...

AFL Tasmania’s plan from the start was to keep the project separate to the ongoing work around the AFL license submission, to set up community football for success irrespective of what transpires with the push for a team for Tasmania. What wasn’t anticipated at the time was that Tasmania would have clarity on when a decision would be made on whether an AFL license would be granted, expected at some stage in the back half of 2022 when the AFL finalises its club funding arrangements.

It’s become clear that it is in the best interests of the game to align both pieces of work and for AFL Tasmania to work more closely with the Tasmanian Government and the Tasmanian AFL License Taskforce, an approach which is endorsed by the Government and the Taskforce".

This unity of the various AF advocates in Tasmania is also a very welcome development- & improves Tas.'s chances of becoming the 19th AFL club, c.2025.

3. I found these AFL Tas. 24.11 comments interesting, re Tas.'s chances of becoming the 19th club.
I suspect the AFL wants the Tas. govt. to provide much more funding, & on a guaranteed, long term basis, for the their 19th club.

"All parties continue to undertake the steps recommended by the Carter Review, including investigating potential models, locking down Government funding for a potential team for Tasmania and stadia investment and the AFL would work through those with the Tasmanian Government ahead of putting a final position to club presidents for a decision.

“We are at a very important juncture in the continued assessment of modelling for a potential team in Tasmania and the announcement today reflects the importance it has within AFL head office,” AFL Chief Executive Officer Gillon McLachlan said.

“Travis and Sam will lead our work, Travis having recently played a crucial leadership role in ensuring the last two AFL and AFLW seasons were successfully navigated throughout the Covid pandemic and Sam, previously holding key leadership roles across Game development and our growth in NSW, will solely focus on this project, ensuring we have a preferred position to take to the AFL Club Presidents next year (All emphases mine)”.

Last edited:

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
“Travis and Sam will lead our work, Travis having recently played a crucial leadership role in ensuring the last two AFL and AFLW seasons were successfully navigated throughout the Covid pandemic and Sam, previously holding key leadership roles across Game development and our growth in NSW, will solely focus on this project, ensuring we have a preferred position to take to the AFL Club Presidents next year (All emphases mine)”.

Using NSW & Tas to grow HQ management is questionable .... its similar to Gold Coast home games being played in China/Darwin.

Bipolarbear

It's me, it's me it's BPB
Jul 29, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns Parramatta Eels
My first post in this topic today remains valid - most mainland population growth is from immigrants who are unlikely to follow AFL, and that any perceived disadvantage the Tasmania has from having less immigration (historically, not recently) should not be a factor in whether they should have a team. The rest is you talking in circles.
I did this about 6 months ago. Save yourself the pain. Talks about growth rate in Tasmania compared to the mainland, but doesn't want to use percentage as measurement. You know, the metric that growth is measured in, in almost any context? Have fun rofl

Johnny Bananas

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2010
A sugar refinery
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My first post in this topic today remains valid - most mainland population growth is from immigrants who are unlikely to follow AFL, and that any perceived disadvantage the Tasmania has from having less immigration (historically, not recently) should not be a factor in whether they should have a team. The rest is you talking in circles.
I maintain many South Asian and East Asian immigrants could be drawn to the game with the right outreach programs. But it isn't going to just happen due to them becoming absorbed into the dominant culture the way it did for Greek and Italian immigrants. The AFL hierarchy need to make a real effort on that one.

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I maintain many South Asian and East Asian immigrants could be drawn to the game with the right outreach programs. But it isn't going to just happen due to them becoming absorbed into the dominant culture the way it did for Greek and Italian immigrants. The AFL hierarchy need to make a real effort on that one.

Kids playing the game at school was a big driver for post war (WW2) migrant families. The talented sports person usually can turn their skills to multiple sports, see ;) Sam Kerrs hip & shoulder to a pitch invader.

Tasmanian saint

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sam Graham was formerly in charge of AFLNSW/ACT- where he attracted praise for the major growth of GR AF nos. in NSW & ACT under his reign.
He is fully aware of the power of tribalism, & the impact of having one's own local elite team & local elite pathways; & how the Swans & GWS have been a massive contributor to AF growth in NSW & ACT.

Graham was promoted to AFL HQ in 2020.
It will be very advantageous for Tas., therefore, that he will be one of the 2 joint representitives from the AFL HQ assessing the merits of adding a Tas. team as the 19th club.

(Scroll down to point 2)

Yes.

I find it very strange that the big majority of sports' fans readily acknowledge the huge importance of tribalism/GR emotional connections for the progress of their local elite team & sport- but many claim these 2 factors are not relevant to the significant decline in male GR AF in Tasmania.
Absolute madness that the afl are letting Travis Auld have anything to do with potential expansion the bloke made a terrible mess setting up the suns.

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
gold coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
This thread is always entertaining, but the suggestion that NBL is a high standard of basketball on a global scale takes the cake. 😀

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
What was the crowd like for the Hobart test? Didn’t look too great considering it’s a historic event

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The first three days sold out in about five minutes (10.5k for each day). There is this thing called COVID that has reduced capacity at venues.

I read an article that said around 8k was there for one of the days, is that wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I read an article that said Collingwood have the record for the most grand final losses in the history of the AFL. Is that wrong?

They've played in plenty of GFs, when near on all other clubs were mothballed. Dont hear anything about the mothballed clubs.

Jazny

Watching the Sunset
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They've played in plenty of GFs, when near on all other clubs were mothballed. Dont hear anything about the mothballed clubs.
I think if you mothball 27 grand finals you should lose your AFL license. That's about as valid an opinion as crowd attendances at an old boring sport, in a dead rubber, in the middle of a pandemic being a basis to question Tasmania's entry into the AFL.

Walshawk

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I read an article that said around 8k was there for one of the days, is that wrong?
Hang on, your posted asking what the crowds were, when you already new. So boring. Once again, there is this thing called cOVID, which means that many who bought tickets could not go because they are sick, or in iso, or don’t want to catch it.
Your anti Tassie schtick is really, really, really boring. Come up with something new or interesting.

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I think if you mothball 27 grand finals you should lose your AFL license. That's about as valid an opinion as crowd attendances at an old boring sport, in a dead rubber, in the middle of a pandemic being a basis to question Tasmania's entry into the AFL.

You genius, on GF day 2021, there were 16 clubs in mothballs. The Bulldogs lost, the mothballed clubs were no chance, my mob were no chance, only the Bulldogs & D's were a chance. Trying to slag the losing team on GF day is a step below pathetic.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hang on, your posted asking what the crowds were, when you already new. So boring. Once again, there is this thing called cOVID, which means that many who bought tickets could not go because they are sick, or in iso, or don’t want to catch it.
Your anti Tassie schtick is really, really, really boring. Come up with something new or interesting.

You said there were 10.5k there each day, was this a lie?

Jazny

Watching the Sunset
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You genius, on GF day 2021, there were 16 clubs in mothballs. The Bulldogs lost, the mothballed clubs were no chance, my mob were no chance, only the Bulldogs & D's were a chance. Trying to slag the losing team on GF day is a step below pathetic.
I struck a nerve with facts. Interesting... :rolleyes:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

According to the above they had 9002, 8711 and 8088. I'm not sure what restrictions were in place but if it is the 10500 mentioned earlier they have had 90%, 87% and 80% capacity across the three days. That seems pretty good to me.

Thanks for the facts, shame the poster earlier couldn't post them.

It's an okay turn out, 8000 is super small for a once in a lifetime opportunity of watching the Ashes.

The AFL certainly wouldn't be happy with 8000 crowds... You'd have to DOUBLE that at least for them to even sustain an AFL team.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad