Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Get off the high horse with that entitled garbage.

How was what I’m saying a troll or even having a go at Tassie?

I’ve state numerous times that the support for the expansion clubs would take time and would be generational, I think that’s probably what will end up being for the Tassie side as well because people already have clubs for the national comp.

Unlike when the Crows or Eagles came in and it was just state based competitions.

Hell even Freo took time to be where they are now popularity wise.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As I said it’s entirely POSSIBLE that the fans in Tassie would stay loyal to the national clubs they already have, I know it’s happened up here as have many mates who stuck solid with their original clubs down south.

I’m sure there has been and it’s entirely possible they will. It’s also entirely possible that they stick solid with their current clubs and it’s a generational plan like other expansion clubs.

Only that I know plenty of people who stuck loyal with their original clubs instead of jumping on The Giants, as such we have the AFLs generational plan.

You seem to think I don’t want a Tassie side. Nowhere have I said that, as I do and think it’ll happen soon. Just pointing out that it may not be a case of everyone jumping on board straight away and instead building a fan base for the club instead.

this is quite a contradicting post compared to a lot you have made on other threads where you have always claimed that afl support was basically nonexistent in western Sydney Pryor to the giants coming in due to it being nrl and soccer heartland now you’re claiming there was decent support for afl football there Pryor but they have stuck with there original clubs and not taken on gws so which one is it ??

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
this is quite a contradicting post compared to a lot you have made on other threads where you have always claimed that afl support was basically nonexistent in western Sydney Pryor to the giants coming in due to it being nrl and soccer heartland now you’re claiming there was decent support for afl football there Pryor but they have stuck with there original clubs and not taken on gws so which one is it ??

I’ve been saying that the Giants started with zero support and were outnumbered at home games(not now). Grassroots wasn’t that much better. Hence the generational plan by the AFL.

There were plenty of fans for the traditional clubs down south.

Been up front about that since the beginning.

But please continue making stuff up.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I doubt you have any evidence for this comment- if you do, please produce it here.

Also, for those Tasmanians who might decide to only follow their current AFL club, it is virtually certain their kids will follow their own Tasmanian club.
I assume you accept the well known, & very universally accepted, principles , of "footy tribalism"- & the need for many to be part of a self-affirming group.

My understanding is that there have been many opinion polls in Tasmania, showing a majority there wanted their own team in the VFL or AFL- & would be a fan of this new Tasmanian club.

Can you produce evidence of this- or is it only anecdotal/intuitive?

On the thread on a possible 3rd Sydney team, you were a broken record because you just kept repeating the same comment continuously that:-

. GWS should have had large crowds & independent financial success instantly. Not be an unproductive imposition on the AFL.
. Sydney's WS & ACT significant GR AF growth, since GWS was created in 2012, wasn't sufficiently important to justify its inclusion over Tasmania.

I suggested these unreasonable arguments could be used against a Tas. team- either before, or after after, it was created, to denigrate it. Be careful!

The Bid team will be using GWS promotion of significant GR growth in barren WS, as evidence of the huge benefits for AF if an area has its own AFL team.

Tasmania also deserves its own AFL team for religious reasons.

Adams later said he felt compelled to depart Melb. permanently, because he didn't believe in, or could abide by, this religion.
I hope we don't see Tasmanian refugees.

Lovely stuff Philip Adams.:)

I wonder what their thoughts on the wall to wall footy we virtually have now??

Also now we've added NBL, HAL, BBL, US sports, Womens sports etc etc to the TV diet??

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Flawed logic coming from someone that doesn’t have a great understanding of the history of the sport no offence the vfl/afl was not new been around for decades when west coast Adelaide came in a lot of people in those states already followed one of the traditional vfl clubs as well as a local wafl or sanfl club its funny when I make a comment like you just have on one of the gws expansion threads I get labeled a troll or a broken record does that title fit for you as well I mean you have commented about support thing numerous times

I don't know whether Tasmanians would switch, but I can tell you it's a very different environment to WA and SA in the late 80s. The VFL was nowhere near the main game in those states then, most people had at best a loose affiliation with a VFL club, which was generally based on where their favourite WAFL players were at the time.
You can't seriously say the same about Tassie in 2020, their loyalties are firmly with an AFL club first and foremost.

But I will say that if they want a viable team, they need at least 2/3rds of footy fans to switch. Probably more.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Herald Sun M. Warner 27.1.20

Talks to commence soon between Tas. govt, HFC & NMFC over what might happen after 2021.
Report says that even if HFC & NMFC depart at end of 2021, there will probably be other Vic. teams playing in Tas. for a few years until Tas. gets its own team.

No further info. on the Bid documentation- but it is expected t be formally presented to the Tas. Parliament soon, where its contents will be analysed & debated.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Differ from what?

The WA and SA fans came in at the beginning of Nationalising the competition and so didn’t already have a rusted on club they followed in the national comp, for the most part.

The national comp has been going on long enough now the fans everywhere have their clubs in it. Which is why both the Giants and Suns were a generational plan as fans based in those cities already had clubs and the majority didn’t jump onto their new local club. We would be selling out Giants stadium every week if they did.

Will that happen to Tassie? It’s a possibility, We will find out either way soon enough I’m sure.

If you're argument is that 'maybe' Tas fans won't adopt a club in the AFL then there'd be argument that wa and sa fans 'may' not have adopted their new teams in the vfl/afl at the time. But they collectively jumped on in droves.

We're both speculating agreed, but it's a pretty fair speculation that a footy state will adopt a new team in the afl as their own. Highly likely on face value I would've thought.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
AFL Canberra is conducting a "stakeholder" survey on the health of GR AF in the ACT.
It is asking ACT GR players, administrators, volunteers, clubs, umpires & AF supporters to complete the survey.
One of the questions asks

" Please rank the following elements (one of the long list includes "Strategic Direction") based on what you think AFL Canberra is doing well".

I wonder if Tas. GR AF stakeholders have ever been surveyed? Would the AFL dare!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If you're argument is that 'maybe' Tas fans won't adopt a club in the AFL then there'd be argument that wa and sa fans 'may' not have adopted their new teams in the vfl/afl at the time. But they collectively jumped on in droves.

We're both speculating agreed, but it's a pretty fair speculation that a footy state will adopt a new team in the afl as their own. Highly likely on face value I would've thought.

Different time and different setup back then.

Anyway,

Fingers crossed they do.

But either way think they will be a success long term as the AFL will have patience for non Victorian clubs to build their fan base.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

As I said before, it's not even remotely comparable.

The VFL simply wasn't that popular in WA and SA then.

To be fair, just about every Tasmanian on bigfooty admits they won't switch. Some say they'll buy a membership as their 2nd team, but that will struggle to last.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL Canberra is conducting a "stakeholder" survey on the health of GR AF in the ACT.
It is asking ACT GR players, administrators, volunteers, clubs, umpires & AF supporters to complete the survey.
One of the questions asks

" Please rank the following elements (one of the long list includes "Strategic Direction") based on what you think AFL Canberra is doing well".

I wonder if Tas. GR AF stakeholders have ever been surveyed? Would the AFL dare!

Never heard of any sort of AFLTas survey. They tend to just make demands on clubs.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

To be fair, just about every Tasmanian on bigfooty admits they won't switch. Some say they'll buy a membership as their 2nd team, but that will struggle to last.

Actually I haven't seen a post from Tasmanian on here that said they wouldn't switch to the new team, it's certainly not overwhelming noise.

I'm not so certain that it wouldn't get public backing, if there was too much doubt then we wouldn't be talking about it, certainly not HQ.

Regardless of the VFL's popularity at the time, the wa fans jumped on wc big time so did sa fans when Ade stepped in. Why do you think that is? And why would you think Tas fans won't do the same?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Regardless of the VFL's popularity at the time, the wa fans jumped on wc big time so did sa fans when Ade stepped in. Why do you think that is? And why would you think Tas fans won't do the same?

The Eagles and the Crows etc weren’t playing against their old clubs in the state league.

The new Tassie side will be playing against the clubs they’ve followed in the national comp all along.

That’s the difference.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The Eagles and the Crows etc weren’t playing against their old clubs in the state league.

The new Tassie side will be playing against the clubs they’ve followed in the national comp all along.

That’s the difference.

And that makes it a given that the Tas populace won't publicly support a new team in the AFL, a team that represents Tas. I think that's unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that makes it a given that the Tas populace won't publicly support a new team in the AFL, a team that represents Tas. I think that's unlikely.

For what it's worth, I think the vast majority of people in Tas would switch allegiance, or at least have dual support.

Question is, would even that be enough?

Best case estimates have Tas being a small club with marginal finances (both for themselves and as a value add to the AFL) and the further ahead you project, the more iffy those figures get.

Were they to miss on some of these best case estimates however...

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
For what it's worth, I think the vast majority of people in Tas would switch allegiance, or at least have dual support.

Question is, would even that be enough?

Best case estimates have Tas being a small club with marginal finances (both for themselves and as a value add to the AFL) and the further ahead you project, the more iffy those figures get.

Were they to miss on some of these best case estimates however...

Well typically let's say half the population get behind it in some way shape or form, that's 250k that you could argue are going to be in it to some degree. It's fair speculation that 50k would buy a membership and a lot of them continue.

Let's also speculate that nationally it's going to attract a tv audience.

My best case estimates sees Tas as a medium size club and if it has immediate support there's no reason it can't continue like other new clubs that entered the comp and have continued to be sustainable from other footy states. Tas is a footy state.

Well typically let's say half the population get behind it in some way shape or form, that's 250k that you could argue are going to be in it to some degree. It's fair speculation that 50k would buy a membership and a lot of them continue.

Let's also speculate that nationally it's going to attract a tv audience.

My best case estimates sees Tas as a medium size club and if it has immediate support there's no reason it can't continue like other new clubs that entered the comp and have continued to be sustainable from other footy states. Tas is a footy state.

For a football state, 250k supporters, 50k members is a small club (especially when fewer than usual would be full members, let alone premium members...you know, where the real money is).

TV audience...will they grow the audience in any way, or are they just taking it off other clubs? (if it's the latter, it'd add nothing to the media rights).

The other footy states are MANY times bigger than Tas (SA 3.5 times, WA 5 times), have a clear center of population and many potential sponsors at all levels. Yet your 'best case' still has you smaller than Port (who aren't exactly financially healthy).

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
For a football state, 250k supporters, 50k members is a small club (especially when fewer than usual would be full members, let alone premium members...you know, where the real money is).

TV audience...will they grow the audience in any way, or are they just taking it off other clubs? (if it's the latter, it'd add nothing to the media rights).

The other footy states are MANY times bigger than Tas (SA 3.5 times, WA 5 times), have a clear center of population and many potential sponsors at all levels. Yet your 'best case' still has you smaller than Port (who aren't exactly financially healthy).

Of course it would be a smaller club to begin with, but it would already be bigger than some vic clubs, gc and gws almost certainly. That does not mean it would not be viable. The vibe is it will have an immediate and sustainable fan base i:e in a generation they'll likely have a new generation of fans and then so on. That's fair speculation.

I'd be willing to bet most footy fans will tune if their team is playing or not, that already happens, ask Tasmanians they already turn on the telly for footy. Friday night footy is boomtime and captures an audience that aren't just fans of the teams competing, same with any televised game to be honest.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

I do hope a Tassie team does take the audience off Vic clubs.

They've been taking everything else off Tassie for far too long. ;)

Of course it would be a smaller club to begin with, but it would already be bigger than some vic clubs,

and this is the problem...'success' means being about the same level as perennial strugglers that some already want to cut....Why on earth would the AFL want to add more such clubs?

As for 'to begin with'...going by 100 years of history, it's only going to get (relatively) worse from there as the gap widens.

gc and gws almost certainly.

Completely different scenario. They were built knowing they'd take a long time to develop their markets, but would expand over that time and with them, expand the game.

Tas will be pretty much 100% from day 1, and are unlikely to add (or retain) more than a few thousand genuinely NEW fans.

I do hope a Tassie team does take the audience off Vic clubs.

They've been taking everything else off Tassie for far too long. ;)

Yes, we should stop letting you have football at a discounted price.

So much charity is just making you expect more.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Question for you Madmug, being a Tasmanian - would buy a membership for a new Tas AFL club? Would you dump the Pies? Would you support both?

I'd buy a Tas membership no worries.

I will always have a magpie soft spot but I gave up the membership a few seasons ago. Because of Demitriou's attitude.

I certainly haven't spent much money on Hawthorn or North games. 2 north games I think. Against Swans & saints I recall.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Very ill informed post I lived in the the pilbra / Kimberly area of wa for a number of years working and was amazed how large support the traditional clubs like Essendon Richmond has up there especially with the older generation and indigenous communities so there obviously must have been a decent support before west coast and I’ve also spoken to a number of crow supporters over the years who followed one of the traditional vfl clubs Pryor to the crows I understand it’s different level now but I think you’re understating quite a lot the level of support there was for the vfl back then as for opinion on Tasmanian support we are averaging crowds of 14,000 over the two stadiums for fifo clubs generally playing against interstate clubs as you say there is large support for the traditional clubs down here how big will the crowds be for a local team playing against the traditional clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back