Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to prove that an AFL side can survive in Tasmania, well actually thrive and be successful, is to support the Tasmanian team which should be going into the VFL very soon. Make what is behind this team what AFL clubs wish they had and when 2025 comes around they will be allowing the Tasmanian side into the AFL.

omCH1HM.jpg

We're not saying the team has to win the premiership every year, it has to have a supporter base behind the team that an AFL club would want. If you can make the Tasmanian Devils into this sort of team, they will have to let you in. Prove us wrong, show us that a Tasmanian team can have enough support to become an AFL team. The AFL won't want to keep backing the Gold Coast Suns if they can see a Tasmanian team that can take there place.

The AFL want North to be the 1 team in Tasmania,I believe North will stay over Hawthorn.

They want Hawthorn out. The politics in Launceston wants them to stay.

That fact that 'Launceston' wants Hawthorn to stay will Trump whatever North might want to do. That's the politics of it in Tasmania.

North will go before Hawthorn will, unless Hawthorn decide to go first for some reason.

I'm hoping its an amicable outcome, The AFL give us the pathway we want & North/Hawthorn leave in 2024.

The best way to prove that an AFL side can survive in Tasmania, well actually thrive and be successful, is to support the Tasmanian team which should be going into the VFL very soon. Make what is behind this team what AFL clubs wish they had and when 2025 comes around they will be allowing the Tasmanian side into the AFL.

omCH1HM.jpg

We're not saying the team has to win the premiership every year, it has to have a supporter base behind the team that an AFL club would want. If you can make the Tasmanian Devils into this sort of team, they will have to let you in. Prove us wrong, show us that a Tasmanian team can have enough support to become an AFL team. The AFL won't want to keep backing the Gold Coast Suns if they can see a Tasmanian team that can take there place.

Tasmania is most definitely NOT going into the VFL again, unless its part of the signed, sealed & delivered pathway into the AFL.

We're not falling for that crap again.

omCH1HM.jpg

Already proven

Ironic considering how much of the money from the "Tassie taxpayer" is actually money redistributed from the mainland.
You’re the definition of a broken record 😂Pryor to the corona virus Tasmania was in the best position it’s been in for decades I mean one of the smartest and most successful businessman in the country Larry kestleman has decided to make a large investment down here but what would he know that an expert like you doesn’t

I don't personally believe a merger would be on the cards for Southport and the Suns now. Whilst the Power and Magpies were separate entities, spiritually it was still the same club whereas Southport and GC are just too distinct from each other. A takeover of the Suns by the Sharks could work in theory but it would need s**t tonnes of ground work to go into it to make it feasible. It would also rule out any merger with a struggling Vic side which I think would be more suitable considering the position certain clubs are at. I'm still of the opinion that the Gold Coast Kangaroos (with Tassie added to keep it at 18) would be the best way forward.

The time for Southport becoming GC17 was in 2008 and it would have gone a fair way to remedy a lot of the problems the Suns have experienced which you mentioned along with a proper culture which could have prevented K. Hunt and others going off the deep end due to the lifestyle up there. People have to remember that Southport did try getting into the AFL for 20 years before the Suns were established by the AFL and were without doubt the richest state league club in the country (although pokies inflated the finances a bit) along with having over 20,000 members when they tried getting a team in 96. How the AFL didn't have the sense to just promote the Sharks really shows how inept they were at expansion when it comes to the Gold Coast (and GWS to a lesser extent).

The AFL have done a really good job of ******* up expansion since 1987 and Tasmania and GC are the two most prominent examples of that.
Southport get all their money from pokies. So they will be in financial trouble soon enough.

The AFL own GC so of they want the. To survive, they will.
Personally, I would merge GC into a club like St Kilda. Just how Brisbane took over Fitzroy but in reverse.
Keep the Saints name, colours, home base at Moorabbin but get them to play six home games on the GC. Or more if they expand the season.

Just ignore this guy mate for some strange reason him and a few other posters on bigfooty seem to think he is some type of expert because he cuts and pastes some figures and tables/graphs that he finds on line and reposts them on bigfooty all of a sudden his in expert 😀

lol

no one thinks Im an expert. I dont think Im an expert. But I mean yeah I rip off tables and graphs I find online - usually after I post them online elsewhere myself. Most of the tables and graphs i post or are asked for, I make myself or have to troll through data for. You can feel free to deal with the requests yourself if you like.

You be you though

Last edited:
The AFL own GC so of they want the. To survive, they will.
Personally, I would merge GC into a club like St Kilda. Just how Brisbane took over Fitzroy but in reverse.
Keep the Saints name, colours, home base at Moorabbin but get them to play six home games on the GC. Or more if they expand the season.
So you want to rob two fanbases of a full-time team? How is reducing the number of home games and the eradication of the Suns identity supposed to grow the game on the Gold Coast?

So you want to rob two fanbases of a full-time team? How is reducing the number of home games and the eradication of the Suns identity supposed to grow the game on the Gold Coast?
No sporting team can survive full time on the Gold Coast. The titans will he first go when the NRL reduces teams as a result of this.
How will it grow the game on the GC? Winning some games will help.
The Saints would still play half their games in Melbourne (same as every interstate club).

No sporting team can survive full time on the Gold Coast. The titans will he first go when the NRL reduces teams as a result of this.
The Saints would still play half their games in Melbourne (same as every interstate club).

Like Hawthorn in Tassy?

No sporting team can survive full time on the Gold Coast.
That's impossible to say into the future. All you can say is that none have succeeded yet, partly because all of them have been losers. The Gold Coast gets out in force every year for car racing, where they actually have GC locals that win events.

They don't need a merger for that. They simply need concessions, which the AFL have now provided.

But that's not what you're proposing. You're asking for them to be based in Melbourne and play 5 home games outside the GC, presumably in Melbourne. There is no other non-Victorian team with that arrangement.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. As everyone has a lot of time on their hands, & are miserable because of no footy, here is a full game for you!

1990 short highlights version of above (5 mins.), it's here.

1991- short highlights version (8 mins.) Tasmania v. Victoria

2. All I8 AFL captains were recently asked to respond, anonymously, to a range of questions put to them by espn. Nine captains decided to participate in the poll.

Q. "Would you play for a Tasmanian AFL team, if one comes into the League"?
8 of the 9 captains were very positive about Tasmanian entry and/or would play for a Tasmanian AFL team.

3. Eddie McGuire, a few weeks ago (before full personal quarantines etc. began, & season 2020 shut down) said Club presidents were supportive of Tas. joining the AFL.

Last edited:
That's impossible to say into the future. All you can say is that none have succeeded yet, partly because all of them have been losers. The Gold Coast gets out in force every year for car racing, where they actually have GC locals that win events.

They don't need a merger for that. They simply need concessions, which the AFL have now provided.

But that's not what you're proposing. You're asking for them to be based in Melbourne and play 5 home games outside the GC, presumably in Melbourne. There is no other non-Victorian team with that arrangement.
Correct. As per my post they would play half of their games in Melbourne. Five home, seven away. Plus six home games @ Gold Coast.

Similar, but a step further. Absorb the Suns, take their players, academy, put their logo on your jumper, become the St Kilda - Gold Coast Saints. Be a two city club like St George Illawarra in the NRL.

Slight difference as StGeorge and Illawarra are fairly close to being neighbours.

StKilda and the Gold Coast are not anywhere near each other. Hell you have to go through NSW to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. As per my post they would play half of their games in Melbourne. Five home, seven away. Plus six home games @ Gold Coast.

Would those home games in Melbourne be guaranteed by the AFL in perpetuity? How would you guarantee a game in SE Qld each week, which is the preference of the television networks?

Which brings me back to my original response, you want to rob two fanbases of a full-time team. How do you expect to keep the interest of people on the Gold Coast in AFL by taking away their team and replacing them with a glorified FIFO squad?

Tasmania is most definitely NOT going into the VFL again, unless its part of the signed, sealed & delivered pathway into the AFL.

We're not falling for that crap again.

When was the Tasmanian Devils in the VFL was seen as a pathway for a Tasmanian team in the AFL.

Also, haven't you heard the message behind the Devils going the nab League. It was to see a team in the VFL as well. This was written about the Tasmanian Devils team in the VFL.
Tasmania Devils (2021 or 2022)
The AFL plans on fielding a Tasmanian team in the Victorian Football League in 2021 or 2022 as a potential precursor to a team entering the Australian Football League.

But what has the first Tasmanian Devils shown us about what a Tasmanian AFL team and what they will do. Again we will look at what was written about the side in those years.
The Devils established home grounds in both Hobart and Launceston to deal with the long-standing north-south rivalry. Originally northern home games were played at Ulverstone, Devonport, Burnie and at Launceston's Aurora Stadium while North Hobart Oval hosted games in the south. At the end of the 2005 season the team moved from North Hobart Oval to Bellerive Oval for home games in the south and began playing all northern home games at Aurora Stadium.

At the end of the 2008 season, AFL Tasmania decided to withdraw the Devils from the VFL competition in favour of restarting a new Tasmanian league encompassing the entire state.

The previous performance of the Tasmanian Devils showed the Devils tried to solve a long-standing north-south rivalry by playing games north and south. The club soon move from the south and played all games in the north. Then at the end of 2008 the AFL Tasmania withdrew the team to restart a state league. That state league is losing teams, and isn't showing that Tasmanians like working together to get a good game of football started.

First thing to do is to get the Tasmanian State League running well and producing footballers that could play for an Tasmanian AFL side. Then have the new Tasmanian Devils side running like an AFL, showing the AFL and the AFL clubs that Tasmania can run a team. The former Devils team showed us that Tasmanians have a north-south rivalry which could cause the team to play games in one town. The north-south rivalry would have to be solved. The SANFL and the SACA solved their feud and saw the Adelaide Oval redeveloped. Could the north and south of Tasmania solve their feud to allow a Tasmanian team to form. Why give you a AFL licence if you can't live together. We don't want a team to start up and been seen as a team that is too one end of the state, so the other half don't follow it.

You may not want to fall for this crap again, but what did you prove last time with a team in the VFL. Take the next opportunity to form a side to represent the state and take it to the VFL and prove that it belongs in the AFL.

When was the Tasmanian Devils in the VFL was seen as a pathway for a Tasmanian team in the AFL.

Also, haven't you heard the message behind the Devils going the nab League. It was to see a team in the VFL as well. This was written about the Tasmanian Devils team in the VFL.
Tasmania Devils (2021 or 2022)
The AFL plans on fielding a Tasmanian team in the Victorian Football League in 2021 or 2022 as a potential precursor to a team entering the Australian Football League.

But what has the first Tasmanian Devils shown us about what a Tasmanian AFL team and what they will do. Again we will look at what was written about the side in those years.
The Devils established home grounds in both Hobart and Launceston to deal with the long-standing north-south rivalry. Originally northern home games were played at Ulverstone, Devonport, Burnie and at Launceston's Aurora Stadium while North Hobart Oval hosted games in the south. At the end of the 2005 season the team moved from North Hobart Oval to Bellerive Oval for home games in the south and began playing all northern home games at Aurora Stadium.

At the end of the 2008 season, AFL Tasmania decided to withdraw the Devils from the VFL competition in favour of restarting a new Tasmanian league encompassing the entire state.

The previous performance of the Tasmanian Devils showed the Devils tried to solve a long-standing north-south rivalry by playing games north and south. The club soon move from the south and played all games in the north. Then at the end of 2008 the AFL Tasmania withdrew the team to restart a state league. That state league is losing teams, and isn't showing that Tasmanians like working together to get a good game of football started.

First thing to do is to get the Tasmanian State League running well and producing footballers that could play for an Tasmanian AFL side. Then have the new Tasmanian Devils side running like an AFL, showing the AFL and the AFL clubs that Tasmania can run a team. The former Devils team showed us that Tasmanians have a north-south rivalry which could cause the team to play games in one town. The north-south rivalry would have to be solved. The SANFL and the SACA solved their feud and saw the Adelaide Oval redeveloped. Could the north and south of Tasmania solve their feud to allow a Tasmanian team to form. Why give you a AFL licence if you can't live together. We don't want a team to start up and been seen as a team that is too one end of the state, so the other half don't follow it.

You may not want to fall for this crap again, but what did you prove last time with a team in the VFL. Take the next opportunity to form a side to represent the state and take it to the VFL and prove that it belongs in the AFL.

Oh dear. So much rubbish here.

On this & so many other threads we're discussed all this stuff over & over & over.

Tasmania doesn't have to prove anything anymore. Its been done to death.

The first VFL team was NEVER a pathway to the AFL. It was very successful with crowds & overall support. The AFL's Tas office killed it with crap management. The alignment with North Melbourne was the end of its value to Tasmania & the public voted with their feet.

This second VFL team, as like the first, as proposed by Gil, has NO pathway to anywhere. It has no purpose other than maybe generate some draft picks & ruin whats left of club footy here.

Just go & read the Tasmanian AFL bid. That's all that matters now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back