Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A different aspect for why the AFL should expand into Tasmania now before it is too late, could actually be one of the reasons why people are saying the AFL shouldn’t do it.

If there is such a small amount of corporate dollars available in the Tasmanian market, wouldn’t the AFL rather capture it rather than losing it to another sport like the A-League?

A-League teams are cheaper to run than AFL teams. So they might be able to slot into the Tasmanian market and take up all of the available corporate dollars. That would definitely prevent an AFL team from being established in the Tasmanian market.

It may mean the AFL would have to support the team, but that is still more corporate dollars coming into the business than what would have otherwise have been coming without an AFL team, or could have even gone into supporting a rival code.
The Tasmania NBL bid has already secured some big corporate dollars for the team too,so that means some potential corporates have already been taken.

The people pointing out the market size are probably the same dipsh*ts who think playing games in China is a genius move 'because there's like a billion people, bro' - a billion people who don't give a toss about our silly little game. Market size is important, but so is a culture of supporting football. Tasmania has roughly the same population as the Gold Coast but the difference is that they actually care.

The whole financial viability argument is frankly nonsense - this will be a team heavily backed by a state government. The team will not have any problems getting local industry support either. It doesn't mean they are going to be a global juggernaut but it will ensure the team's long-term sustainability.

The main issue is player retention and that's not an easy issue to fix. But it shouldn't in itself disqualify a club from being formed, as other clubs are already facing the same problem. It might be a structural issue with free agency that the league might have to address.

If they do it right people will take em on as a second team and go and watch if they get subsidised membership and ticket prices for the first 5 years like GC and GWS did.
What?
Its quite common knowledge that ticket prices at metricon are crazy high. Most of the empty seats you see are $50 and higher. This aint the mcg where you can just roll up and pay GA and sit in a good seat

Like what?
Look I'm just assuming that most young men like getting pissed, getting on the gear and banging beautiful young women.

Assuming this is true, it makes sense that a city of 1.3 million will have more of that to take part in than a city with 200,000, (especially when that 200,000 are a bit older).

... Genuinely curious what sort of lives people lived where that's hard to reconcile?

Yeah but there's nothing in the CBD.

If you're a famous athlete surely you'd want to enjoy that wealth and privilege... Hobart's hardly the most vibrant city in the world.

Just my opinion but I reckon you'd struggle retaining players.

Lol, if this were the case then four clubs in Adelaide and Perth would have zero players. Not to mention Geelong.

I'm all for a tassie team, the one thing I DON'T want to see is a blind view that it represents the state.

The AFL is NOT state of origin footy, it's a professional comp with teams competing for a premiership. Nothing more, nothing less.

In saying that it's difficult to see the taswegians viewing it as anything else.

Just remember IF the "Tassie Devils" win the cup it's NOT for the state it's for their team.

The business case looks viable, support is already there - no reason why not.

All this talk of "diluting talent". FFS is 40 odd people gonna make any difference to a population of 25 million?

Extra teams is NOT diluting the potential of talent out there. There are literally 100's of thousands of juniors playing footy.

If anything it's the soft society making original coaching methods unpopular from a social perspective, there's your issue - not another 40 something players.

Fitzroy were a foundation club of the competition without 100 years history in the league yet the AFL got rid of them due to their financial woes.

And HQ have conceded since that was probably not a good idea, lost a lot of supporters from the game. Even though it was not possible to avoid.

Can the Tassie team just be based in one city (Hobart), with an eye towards maybe bringing in a second Tassie team in 20+ years time when the AFL eventually goes towards divisions with smaller number of teams per league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I'm just assuming that most young men like getting pi**ed, getting on the gear and banging beautiful young women.

Assuming this is true, it makes sense that a city of 1.3 million will have more of that to take part in than a city with 200,000, (especially when that 200,000 are a bit older).

... Genuinely curious what sort of lives people lived where that's hard to reconcile?

Oh yeah, all AFL listed players are on the binge and the omo every weekend and sharing their cod piece with every aspiring superficial bimbo.

Umm, in case you don't know AFL listed players can't / aren't allowed to do these things.

Your player retention argument based on this premise is very thin.

Saints or North

Let's ask each of their 100k + supporters how they feel about that. Don't imagine it'd be positive.

If either of these teams were not viable they would not be in the league. They're not a gc or gws that HQ are hell bent on them being the moniker to grow the game in rl territory.

Lol, if this were the case then four clubs in Adelaide and Perth would have zero players. Not to mention Geelong.
Perth is around 10 times the population of Hobart. Incredibly stupid to think a city that supports 2 million people would have the same nightlife as ******* Hobart :tearsofjoy:.

Especially when you consider the median age of Hobart is 7 years older.

Oh yeah, all AFL listed players are on the binge and the omo every weekend and sharing their cod piece with every aspiring superficial bimbo....

Umm, in case you don't know AFL listed players can't / aren't allowed to do these things.
Please show me the rules that say AFL players aren't allowed to share their "cod piece".

Also my argument re: player retention isn't simply that Hobart doesn't have lots of bars and girls (thought it obviously doesn't, compared to other cities).

You can't do that in Tasmania?
Have you actually been there?

Let's ask each of their 100k + supporters how they feel about that. Don't imagine it'd be positive.

If either of these teams were not viable they would not be in the league. They're not a gc or gws that HQ are hell bent on them being the moniker to grow the game in rl territory.

That's fine then. Like I said in my I itial post, if they don't want to do that, I don't want to see them do this.

How does the TSL end up tying into this?

Because Tassie will have a VFL team, and and AFL team. It'd be a bit strange for Tasmania's state league to feed into Victoria's state league, which feeds into Tasmania's AFL team.

There isn't but to suggest that getting on the juice and rolling greenbacks for snortin omo is an accepted regular practice for AFL listed players is ridiculous.
You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think AFL players aren't getting loaded.

That's fine then. Like I said in my I itial post, if they don't want to do that, I don't want to see them do this.

And they won't, if it was viable to do so HQ would've done so already - given their hell bent intention of making the comp "national".

In fact on more than one occasion they've tried and failed, there's only two instances where they've succeeded the South move to Sydney and the Bris take over of Fitzroy - lost a lot of supporters from the game in the process.

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think AFL players aren't getting loaded.

I'm sure some are from time to time, but you make it sound like footy players act up like Pines residents (no offence to the good folk of Frankston North) and have habitual issues and they won't play in Tassie because of the "lack" of the "fast" life.

Seriously, you're kidding yourself if you believe that the bulk of players are regularly going on benders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back