Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another factor that may come into play is the position of the Gold Coast Suns in the 2020s. Not at all saying they should be relocated, because they won't, but rather their draft rights and priority picks. Obviously as we saw during the Suns/Giants expansion period the draft the year the expansion teams come in, they have quite ridiculous access to draft rights, especially in the top 10. So say Gold Coast (or even GWS) are a bottom 4 team in ~2023 and the AFL are still pumping in money into the expansion clubs of 2011/12, then surely they wouldn't want to compromise the draft so that they suddenly have 2 clubs right at the bottom, with limited amounts of picks, nor would they want Gold Coast - a team they've invested so heavily in - stuck at the bottom for even longer. Ideally, they'd want Gold Coast hovering around 10-12th and on their way up, not having to rely on the draft to rebuild again. A mix of having an expansion team and the AFL still trying to keep the Suns afloat probably would turn the AFL off for a little bit.
If GC have not improved by 2024, the pressure will be on to merge with a Vic battler so that Tassie come in as the 18th team. Fitzroy 1996 in reverse, with a Vic club taking over GC.

If GC have not improved by 2024, the pressure will be on to merge with a Vic battler so that Tassie come in as the 18th team. Fitzroy 1996 in reverse, with a Vic club taking over GC.

Pressure from who? No one at the AFL or club land would ever seriously consider this, and I'm sure the clubs involved would vehemently object to it.

I still think the Gold Coast Gropers was the name they should have gone with, they would be a premiership winning team by now with a non-knock-off-nba name and a giant Fish as their logo.

Even this would have been better...

Image result for gold coast guards afl guernsey

According to all the expansion numties its a generational thing and the suns have a free ride to be an absolute basketcase for the next 20-30 years there tracking fine according to them 😂

According to all the expansion numties its a generational thing and the suns have a free ride to be an absolute basketcase for the next 20-30 years there tracking fine according to them 😂
The challenge for the Suns is to get their act together off-field, with the right personnel and culture, in order to retain their players and thus become competitive on-field. They have had some decent sized crowds in the relatively rare moments of being competitive in past seasons and should do well in the future, providing they get it right off-field.

Anyway, back on topic (as the fortunes of the Gold Coast is really completely unrelated to the Tasmanian bid and ought not be conflated thus), the pledge has passed the 10,000 mark, so it's passed 20% of its target -

the pledge has passed the 10,000 mark, so it's passed 20% of its target -

Which is surprising, given that the media outlets only posted the link behind paywalled articles

Huh, could have sworn there was an entire region north of Perth city, must be just a giant hole in the ground then.
Joondalup on the outer north, suburb has a population of 9000, the region has a population of 49000 with the majority already West Coast Eagles fans. West Perth FC moved to the area in 1994, after the Eagles were already in the AFL, Not sure it’s a great catchment area.

Fremantle has a long history in the WAFL way before West Coast was entered into the competition. East Fremantle 1897 and South Fremantle 1900 had 36 premierships between them and a huge supporter base before West Coast entered the competition. These supporters is why Fremantle region got a football club into the AFL

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh, could have sworn there was an entire region north of Perth city, must be just a giant hole in the ground then.

Yeah and they are all WC fans. It's a fairly new area that is expanding. There isn't any unrecognized following there. No one is thinking "man, I wish north of perth was represented in the AFL" as there isn't any long historical roots there. Joondalup wasn't even a recognized as an urban center till the 80s, and before that, it was basically just dirt.

Perth and Fremantle are the only places in populated WA that have long enough histories and big enough populations to warrant AFL inclusion. The only other area that even comes close would be Kalgoorlie in the far East of WA, but good luck getting players to move there.

Last edited:
Yeah, I spoke to quite a few people on the weekend who watch AFL football and none of them were aware of the petition. It's going to take a while to get people aware enough to sign it in big numbers.
The pledge will need a fair amount of follow-up publicity, be it in the Tasmanaina papers, TV, radio and social media, in order to push the numbers along.

Last edited:

Joondalup wasn't even a municipality until 1998. It is nothing more than a expansion of Perth suburbia.

On the other hand Fremantle was founded in the 1820s and was historically a separate city to Perth with two WAFL clubs. The Dockers also had a strong Claremont connection with their initial squad and benefit from the Swan River giving them a clear region of Perth to represent.

Joondalup coming would be a West Coast Eagles-lite (even the mascot is similar, Falcons) .... "accidental" right place, right time formation of the club....

The club could work long term, but doubt it's worth it or needed, but will depend if the AFL are more keen for a 10th game per round
and not having to deal with the bye.

Don't see any other market in Australia that could support an "emergency" expansion club in the near term other than Perth3.

Guys - there's a thread about a possible '3rd Western Australian Club' in 'The Footy Industry' sub-forum, so suggest the WA discussion be taken over there.

Meanwhile, back on things Tasmanian, the pledge has ticked over 11,000 -

The bid team will need to organise a lot of follow-up sustained publicity to get to the 50,000 target.

Guys - there's a thread about a possible '3rd Western Australian Club' in 'The Footy Industry' sub-forum, so suggest the WA discussion be taken over there.

The bid team will need to organise a lot of follow-up sustained publicity to get to the 50,000 target.

I just messaged the Examiner about the pledge's link being hidden behind a paywall. I know that the're truly just a Fairfax puppet, but I thought there was some integrity left.

Not good enough.

An AFL poll in 2015 showed 78% support for a Tasmanian team in the AFL. That went nowhere with the AFL suits. So, why get carried away with another newspaper 'poll'. I mean its not even seen by the majority of people, & we've been 'told' to support things before which was just ended up as con jobs.

maybe give it time to build. I still recon so many people wont bother with just another call to 'crawl' to the AFL.

Already some of my footy mates have said FKem. if we get a team, we'll join then. Otherwise they can stickit up their arzez.

I think we've jumped enough hoops over 150yrs without this sort of BS.

I just messaged the Examiner about the pledge's link being hidden behind a paywall. I know that the're truly just a Fairfax puppet, but I thought there was some integrity left.

Not good enough.
The Examiner has never had "integrity". They still behave as though Edmund Rouse was alive and King of Tasmania. Oh, and they've been sold twice since Fairfax was a thing. Nine bought Fairfax, and have already sold the regional papers.
And The Mockery isn't any better.

The Examiner has never had "integrity". They still behave as though Edmund Rouse was alive and King of Tasmania. Oh, and they've been sold twice since Fairfax was a thing. Nine bought Fairfax, and have already sold the regional papers.
And The Mockery isn't any better.

The media don't have our best interest at heart?! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back