Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney 2GB Radio R. Greenwood Program- John Stanley filling in. Money Matters Program 4.9.19

In this podcast, J. Stanley, a RL fan & expert, & finance expert, speaks to GWS CEO D. Mathews.

Matthews told Stanley that the 9th game pw (created by entry of GWS & GC) "...9th game is valued at about $60,000,000 per year, so they're actually making money off the investment (ie AFL funding pa, for the 2 expansion clubs- my words)...".

I was not aware, prior to this podcast, of any AFL Executive ever specifying what the 9th game pw delivered to the AFL in Broadcast Rights $, & other funds- but now we know.
Does anyone know if an AFL executive has, before, ever publicly disclosed the specific value of the 9th game pw?

I have included this here- as it strengthens "the hand"/negotiating strength of Tasmania, seeking a 2025 entry into the AFL (& there will be the inevitable 20th team sometime later created).
By adding Tasmania as a 19th team (despite its small population, & not being an A Grade advertising market), its entry will directly contribute to a 20th AFL team in the future/10 broadcast games pw. Tasmania is significantly adding to AFL funds eventually.

(For GWS, go to 51 minutes 25 seconds mark)

I have included both,they are IDENTICAL. I'm not certain, however, how long each podcast will remain on their respective sites.

(then click on podcast of "Giants"- Dave Matthews Money News)

It is also my understanding that the GWS obtained significant support from sponsors, after they announced they intended to have an AFLW team. GWS has approx. $27,000,000 private sponsorship pa- & many sponsors value very highly "the female demographic", which can be advertised on a national level, through the AFLW. Tasmania, fast track your own AFLW team also!

Last edited:
It is also my understanding that the GWS obtained significant support from sponsors, after they announced they intended to have an AFLW team. GWS has approx. $27,000,000 private sponsorship pa- & many sponsors value very highly "the female demographic", which can be advertised on a national level, through the AFLW. Tasmania, fast track your own AFLW team also!

Netball team as well.

I saw a figure for GWS on Sports Iindustry AU which had the 2018 sponsorship figure at some $12mil. GC at $6.5mil.
Valid point. $27,000,000 straight sponsorship pa is too high. It comes, also, from other areas.
I was referring to CEO D. Matthews' comments from 3 minute - 4 minute 10 seconds mark of podcast. He said

"...$27,000,000 comes to us by sponsorship, by coterie group donations, membership, ticket sales, whole heap of things make it up...".

At 4 minute 45 seconds mark of podcast, D. Matthews said, re GWS, an 8 year old Club

"...we are already seventh out of eighteen clubs for commercial revenue...Swans are number one or two".

Re private sponsorship of GWS' AFLW team, & private sponsorship of GWS' Super Netball team, I don't know the financial details.
St Kilda (which is joining the AFLW in 2020), however, will receive private sponsorship for its AFLW team of c. $1,000,000 pa.

Last edited:
Macquarie Sports Radio John Stanley Money Matters Program - from last week.

In this podcast, J. Stanley, a RL fan & expert, speaks to GWS CEO D. Mathews.

Matthews told Stanley that the 9th game pw (created by entry of GWS & GC) is worth "...$60,000,000 per year, its more than paid for itself (ie AFL funding pa, for the 2 expansion clubs- my words)...".

I was not aware, prior to this podcast, of any AFL Executive specifying what the 9th game pw delivered to the AFL in Broadcast Rights $- but now we know.
Does anyone know if an AFL executive has, before, ever publicly disclosed the specific value of the 9th game pw?

I have included this here- as it strengthens "the hand"/negotiating strength of Tasmania, seeking a 2025 entry into the AFL (& there will be the inevitable 20th team sometime later created).

(then click on Dave Matthews Money Matters, podcast #6)

How much of the $27m was the AFL directing money there, and how much is genuinely new money brought in to the system?

Pure guess but I'd say 90% is AFL.

Did I listen to the boss of GWS talk about GWS ?

No.

Are you able to list the GWS sponsors who have never been AFL sponsors ?
Are you able to prove that 90% of the sponsorship monies were directed by the AFL?

Hell even any links suggesting it?

Matthews said in the podcast it was new money and not money taken from elsewhere.

Valid point. $27,000,000 straight sponsorship pa is too high. It comes, also, from other areas.
I was referring to CEO D. Matthews' comments from 3 minute - 4 minute 10 seconds mark of podcast. He said

"...$27,000,000 comes to us by sponsorship, by coterie group donations, membership, ticket sales, whole heap of things make it up...".

At 4 minute 45 seconds mark of podcast, D. Matthews said, re GWS, an 8 year old Club

"...we are already seventh out of eighteen clubs for commercial revenue...Swans are number one or two".

Re private sponsorship of GWS' AFLW team, & private sponsorship of GWS' Super Netball team, I don't know the financial details.
St Kilda (which is joining the AFLW in 2020), however, will receive private sponsorship for its AFLW team of c. $1,000,000 pa.

I hope any sponsorship of netball team should go back to netball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure. But Virgin and Maccas are big aponsors.
I don't think this is particularly relevant.

Hawthorn has Coca-Cola, McDonalds and Carlton Draught as sponsors in common with the AFL. Carlton has 3 common sponsors (Virgin, Gatorade, Chemist Warehouse). Richmond has 2. Collingwood and Essendon both have 1.

That's just from the big 5 Victorian clubs.

I don't see how GWS also having 2 in common is an issue. Even if the AFL is assisting them in finding sponsorship - why would this be a negative? I would argue it would be in the AFL and AFL clubs' best interests for the AFL to assist in the sponsorship process of their flagship investments.

It may of been the Premier comp but it wasn't the national comp. WA and SA football was much much bigger then and were watched.

Where as everyone watches the AFL now and has their teams in that comp.

Am not saying that Tassie won't be successful in the long run as have said many a time I'm all for them and think they will.

Just disagree with the narrative that all taswegians will jump on board straight off the bat.

Not disrespectful at all.
Proud to say Giants are my 1st club. Knew of the sport and the way it has grown. Kept an eye on the Tigers as I was a Balmain boy.
That doesn't change what I've said though.
The VFL was the premier comp...players from other states aspired to make it in the VFL...nobody of any note left Tassie to play in other states...not sure why people still don't understand this

Did I listen to the boss of GWS talk about GWS ?

No.

Are you able to list the GWS sponsors who have never been AFL sponsors ?

new money in the system doesnt have to be new sponsors either. It can be the same sponsors offering more money.

The AFL has a a lot of hands in assisting club sponsors to find clubs too. And not just GWS and Gold Coast.

lol no they dont.
Refer to my post #730 above. Re GWS, I said "$27,000,000 straight sponsorship pa is too high. It also comes from other areas".

D. Matthews said the $27,000,000 derives from "... sponsorship, coterie group donations, membership, ticket sales, whole heap of of things make it up...".
Do you agree with his comments?

Also, do you agree with D. Matthews' comments re c. $60,000,000 extra for the 9th team? Does this include extra broadcast $ for the 9th game, plus the various additions of private funding?
(The broadcast Rights alone were c. $2.5 billion over 6 years ie c. $417,000,000 pa)

Last edited:
Refer to my post #730 above. Re GWS, I said "$27,000,000 straight sponsorship pa is too high. It also comes from other areas".

D. Matthews said the $27,000,000 derives from "... sponsorship, coterie group donations, membership, ticket sales, whole heap of of things make it up...".
Do you agree with his comments?

No. The annual reports dont agree either. They simply dont have that money. And if they do, then both the AFL and GWS audited reports are wrong.

Also, do you agree with D. Matthews' comments re c. $60,000,000 extra for the 9th team? Does this include extra broadcast $ for the 9th game, plus the various additions of private funding?
(The broadcast Rights alone were c. $2.5 billion over 6 years ie c. $417,000,000 pa)

per annum? No i dont agree with that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back