Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I remember the first thing Tassie cricket won was the ODD Gillette cup final at the TCA in 1979, beating WA. About 12000 squished into the place. We were smashed!! Beer cans flying everywhere. Rolled down the hill into the first pub we could find. I think it was the Red Lion Hotel. Its a wonder I can remember anything. It was a eeeeuuuuuuggge day for the boys!!! I can remember the game & struggling over the fence, Cascade Pale can in hand!!, to crowd in front of the old members stand & chanting for Flat Jack Simmonds who captained Tassie. :sunglasses:
Yeah my dad still talks about that game would have been a great atmosphere with that many people there I played a fair bit of junior footy up there was a horrible ground to play on you couldn’t see from one wing to the other it went up like a mound in the middle someone told me they have recently fixed the surface up !

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tasmania has received a dreadful AFL draw for next season,I can see a number of the games getting below 10000.The AFL will no doubt use this as evidence to show Tassie can't support a team,the sooner North and Hawks stop playing in Tassie the better,very concerning times ahead for AFL in Tasmania.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tasmania has received a dreadful AFL draw for next season,I can see a number of the games getting below 10000.The AFL will no doubt use this as evidence to show Tassie can't support a team,the sooner North and Hawks stop playing in Tassie the better,very concerning times ahead for AFL in Tasmania.

Maybe. If they did the media will tear them to shreds. Most of the games wouldn't get a crowd in Melbourne.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe. If they did the media will tear them to shreds. Most of the games wouldn't get a crowd in Melbourne.
The Tasmanian footy public are all over the poor fixture,they have demanded big changes to the deals that will be renegiated in 2021.The mercury editor has said they need to demand more for the games or the teams must return their games to Melbourne.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
What averages crowds do you reckon a tas team would get?

Tassie is a footy state. One would expect to fill the grounds for the traditional clubs. Perhaps less so for the newer clubs.

We'd like to see some ground development. We have no idea of what those would be.

I'd suggest Boot park could build on the hill area so maybe could max out at 25k.

Pork Park needs a lot of work so a basically new ground could be 27k quite easily. Its more likely to get a lot spent on it for the previously mentioned political situation here.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Tassie is a footy state. One would expect to fill the grounds for the traditional clubs. Perhaps less so for the newer clubs.
I'd suggest Boot park could build on the hill area so maybe could max out at 25k.
Pork Park needs a lot of work so a basically new ground could be 27k quite easily. Its more likely to get a lot spent on it for the previously mentioned political situation here.
Given the TFL GF crowds of 24,413 & 24,963 in 1970 & 1979 respectively (when Hobart's population was much smaller), do you consider

1. your 2 ground capacities are too low?

2. 30,000 should be the minimum capacities (Geelong wanted 36,000 at Kardinia Park, but had to settle for 34,000. Anecdotally, IMO, few travel from Melb. to attend games in Geelong)

3. there would be majority political support (excluding the NIMBY's) for adjoining streets to be reclaimed for Bellerive expansion on the hill side, and directly adjoining houses on these streets be reclaimed & demolished?

Also, a ban on private car parking within 1 km on game days near Bellarive, with buses using/ parking on all these streets, including Clarence St (Shuttle buses from the Hobart CBD & other areas to run continuously, to take fans to & from Bellerive)

4. Tas. should aim for a larger (30,000 min.), packed cauldron atmosphere to enhance the "footy experience" & culture for AFL players already there, & desire to remain there; & to better attract out-of-contract mainland players to want to move to the Tasmanian "cauldron"?

5. as many more fans can be packed in to similar standing room areas (cf. seats), to increase the capacity, both Hobart & Launy should have at least 8,000 standing room areas also (for total ground capacity of 30,000 min.)?

Many (but not all) adult males actually enjoy/prefer the packed, standing room experience- this "ol' time footy experience" could actually be promoted as Tasmania's "point of difference" & be a magnet for mainlanders to want to enjoy the ol' time footy experience

6. that the AFL is likely to want to see a "firm" commitment from Tasmanians for their 19th team, by a minimum no. prepaying an amount for membership in 2020?
And if so, what should this minimum no of fans be, & the amount be (fully refundable, if no team eventuates)? $100?

(IMO, the current poll of 59,000 signatures is not absolutely conclusive evidence of undeniably strong support. Many mainlanders have also signed it- a signature on its own is, arguably, "nothing". The AFL is likely to seek, in 2020, some financial commitment to membership- 40,000 members, paying up-front $100?)

7. the Tas. govt. and/or Fed govt. will desire firm financial pre-commitments from Tas. fans (as point 6)- before it is decided to spend, possibly, hundreds of millions $ to upgrade Bellerive & York Park to c. 30,000 each?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Given the TFL GF crowds of 24,413 & 24,963 in 1970 & 1979 respectively (when Hobart's population was much smaller), do you consider

2. 30,000 should be the minimum capacities (Geelong wanted 36,000 at Kardinia Park, but had to settle for 34,000. Anecdotally, IMO, few travel from Melb. to attend games in Geelong)

3. there would be majority political support (excluding the NIMBY's) for adjoining streets to be reclaimed for Bellerive expansion on the hill side, and directly adjoining houses on these streets be reclaimed & demolished?

Also, a ban on private car parking within 1 km on game days near Bellarive, with buses using/ parking on all these streets, including Clarence St (Shuttle buses from the Hobart CBD & other areas to run continuously, to take fans to & from Bellerive)

4. Tas. should aim for a larger (30,000 min.), packed cauldron atmosphere to enhance the "footy experience" & culture for AFL players already there, & desire to remain there; & to better attract out-of-contract mainland players to want to move to the Tasmanian "cauldron"?

5. as many more fans can be packed in to similar standing room areas (cf. seats), to increase the capacity, both Hobart & Launy should have at least 8,000 standing room areas also (for total ground capacity of 30,000 min.)?

Many (but not all) adult males actually enjoy/prefer the packed, standing room experience- this "ol' time footy experience" could actually be promoted as Tasmania's "point of difference" & be a magnet for mainlanders to want to enjoy the ol' time footy experience

6. that the AFL is likely to want to see a "firm" commitment from Tasmanians for their 19th team, by a minimum no. prepaying an amount for membership in 2020?
And if so, what should this minimum no of fans be, & the amount be (fully refundable, if no team eventuates)? $100?

(IMO, the current poll of 59,000 signatures is not absolutely conclusive evidence of undeniably strong support. Many mainlanders have also signed it- a signature on its own is, arguably, "nothing". The AFL is likely to seek, in 2020, some financial commitment to membership- 40,000 members, paying up-front $100?)

7. the Tas. govt. and/or Fed govt. will desire firm financial pre-commitments from Tas. fans (as point 6)- before it is decided to spend, possibly, hundreds of millions $ to upgrade Bellerive & York Park to c. 30,000 each?

Funny how 1970 saw record crowds at the MCG & North Hobart Oval.

I don't like standing room areas at sports stadiums. Modern crowds like the comforts. Seating & the big replay board are mandatory.

I think expecting people to fork out money before they get a team is somewhat belittling & would just create more mistrust of the 'mainland' AFL. Its not necessary anyway. The task force would have shown/or not, the financial bona fides to the AFL when decision time arrives.

Whatever happens, I'd like to see the end of the FIFO teams Awks & Norf. If the AFL say no, then footy can just die here. We'll become a cricket, basketball & soccer state. If the AFL CGAF, why should we.

I think we've copped enough crap from the AFL. Its put up or fkoff IMO.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Funny how 1970 saw record crowds at the MCG & North Hobart Oval.

I don't like standing room areas at sports stadiums. Modern crowds like the comforts. Seating & the big replay board are mandatory.

I think expecting people to fork out money before they get a team is somewhat belittling & would just create more mistrust of the 'mainland' AFL. Its not necessary anyway. The task force would have shown/or not, the financial bona fides to the AFL when decision time arrives.

Whatever happens, I'd like to see the end of the FIFO teams Awks & Norf. If the AFL say no, then footy can just die here. We'll become a cricket, basketball & soccer state. If the AFL CGAF, why should we.

I think we've copped enough crap from the AFL. Its put up or fkoff IMO.
Yeah I agree I think our state government is actually being smart for a change what we’re doing is forcing the afl to show there hand if we put up a business case that’s strong then 2025is a more then fair time frame for a team if they come out with there usual crap about maybe in the future then it’s time to walk away spend fifo money on our own state league!

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I agree I think our state government is actually being smart for a change what we’re doing is forcing the afl to show there hand if we put up a business case that’s strong then 2025is a more then fair time frame for a team if they come out with there usual crap about maybe in the future then it’s time to walk away spend fifo money on our own state league!

I doubt they'd spend money on a state league for footy, or soccer or netball or basketball for that matter.

They will weight up the benefits of NBL, Aleague, Super netball, BBL & AFL at the top level & invest as they see fit & as opportunity arises.

Community sport isn't in that picture I'm afraid.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

[/QUOTE
Would average 25,000 th

Would average at least 25,000 thousand from day 1 both stadiums hold around 20,000 upgrade to 30,000 seaters honestly think we could push 40,000 members from the start
The AFL has stated it will require 50000 members from day 1.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I doubt they'd spend money on a state league for footy, or soccer or netball or basketball for that matter.

They will weight up the benefits of NBL, Aleague, Super netball, BBL & AFL at the top level & invest as they see fit & as opportunity arises.

Community sport isn't in that picture I'm afraid.

Tas pay to get Supercars round & thats only about exposure IMHO.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL has stated it will require 50000 members from day 1.

Where was that?

Even so, how can anyone require that? On day one (by definition:)), they'd already have a team. ;)

The AFL Task force would most likely have the necessary business objectives in front of mind. They could only estimate things like expected memberships.

The AFL could have an expectation on stadium facilities & capacities. Maybe.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I think expecting people to fork out money before they get a team is somewhat belittling [No] & would just create more mistrust[?] of the 'mainland' AFL. Its not necessary anyway.[Debatable] The task force would have shown/or not, the financial bona fides to the AFL when decision time arrives.
1. The Tas. govt., &, probably the Fed LNP govt., may be considering spending hundreds of millions $ to provide 2 major upgrades (to c. 30,000 capacity each?) to Bellerive & York Park.
The AFL will also need to spend millions $ in Tas. for several years initially, on Tas. entry into the NAB League U18 comp. & VFL entry etc.- to raise Tas. elite standards prior to AFL entry c. 2025.

It is very reasonable, to protect the taxpayers' funds (& ENHANCE the chances of success for the Tas. 19th team bid), to seek 40,000 minimum pre-paid membership commitments of $100 each (fully refundable if Bid does not succeed).
Why would Tasmanians &/or the Tas. govt. fear such a reasonable request by the AFL?

It is in everyone's interest that a 40,000 membership target (on an ongoing basis) be considered as reasonable & achievable.

After the Task Force formally presents its bid, & if the AFL finds it meets its KPI's & agrees, in principle, to an imminent entry for the Tas. 19th team, there is nothing objectionable to the AFL advising the Tas. govt. & Tasmanians
"Achieve 40,000 minimum $100 membership pre-commitments in 2020, then we will guarantee entry into the AFL, c.2025".

2. A new AFL General Manager position (which will also become part of the AFL Executuive, reporting directlty to it) is being created from 2020- this position will oversee Docklands Stadium development. DS will become a separate Business Unit of the AFL, implying significantly increased revenues are expected from DS.
The AFL wants DS (which will soon have a $265,000,000 redevelopment- mainly external areas, more entertainment options etc.) to become a 7 x 24 hr, 365 day pa entertainment precinct.

As per my above posts #1126 & 1187, & comments by Ch.7's M. Stevens that there will be more Thurs. night games in the future- & these games are likely to become the marquee games of the week, supplanting Fri. night- is the change to Docklands' status related to Tas. joining the AFL? ...jungle drums?

A Tas. 19th team will create 11 extra H & A games pa, & 11 new time slots will have to be found.

And probably many more games to be played at DS, at the very lucrative Prime Time Thurs. night time slot?
(Weekend daytime games at DS will probably cease, their time slots being taken 11 times pa by Tas. playing its home games in Tas.)

3. As an incentive for Tasmanians to achieve the 40,000 min. membership tally, they can be promised that Tas. home games will play this inspirational video on the big screens at Bellerive & York Park before all Tas. home games.

It's grouse.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I have just seen this July 2019 official Vic. govt. higher forecast of its estimate of Victorian pop. growth. By 2056, Vic. is estimated to have c. 11,200,000 population, averaging 125,000 state net growth pa (Most growth will be in Melb., with a pop. of c. 9,000,000 in 2056- horrific!). See pg 7.

As I assume, due to larger economies of scale, airfares will be cheaper (in real terms, taking into account inflation) between Melb. & Tas., there will certainly be considerably more people taking the more regular 1 hr flights between Melb. & Tasmania. Many might consider Tasmania "Greater Southern Melbourne, GSM"; & it will become, economically at least, more "integrated" with the Melbourne megapolis.

Many more Vic. AFL fans will seek to escape, in future decades, the congested, polluted "rat race" of Melb. for a relaxing footy tourism trip to beautiful Tasmania. This will be very beneficial for the Tas. tourism economy, for the Tas. govt., & for the Tas. AFL team attracting larger home crowds. This should assist the chances of Tasmania getting its own team by c. 2025.

The c. 11,200,000 Vic. pop. (& Melb. 9,000,000) by 2056 reduces even further any chances (already very unlikely) of a Melb. AFL team merging, or relocating to anywhere. Melb.'s greatest pop. growth is occurring in the nth, NW, & western suburbs, where land is relatively "cheap" (particularly good news for Footscray & NMFC).

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have just seen this July 2019 official Vic. govt. higher forecast of its estimate of Victorian pop. growth. By 2056, Vic. is estimated to have c. 11,200,000 population, averaging 125,000 state net growth pa (Most growth will be in Melb., with a pop. of c. 9,000,000 in 2056- horrific!). See pg 7.

As I assume, due to larger economies of scale, airfares will be cheaper (in real terms, taking into account inflation) between Melb. & Tas., there will certainly be considerably more people taking the 1 hr flight between Melb. & Tasmania. Many might consider Tasmania "Greater Southern Melbourne, GSM"; & it will become, economically at least, more "integrated" with the Melbourne megapolis.

Many more Vic. AFL fans will seek to escape, in future decades, the congested, polluted "rat race" of Melb. for a relaxing footy tourism trip to Tasmania. This will be very beneficial for the Tas. tourism economy, for the Tas. govt., & for the Tas. AFL team attracting larger home crowds. This should assist the chances of Tasmania getting its own team by c. 2025.

The c. 11,200,000 Vic. pop. (& Melb. 9,000,000) by 2056 reduces even further any chances (already very unlikely) of a Melb. AFL team relocating, to anywhere. Melb.'s greatest pop. growth is occurring in the nth, NW, & western suburbs, where land is relatively "cheap" (particularly good news for Footscray & NMFC).

I've noted a lot of articles on the growth of Australia & particularly its bigger cities.

The policies that currently apply may change as the pressures & problems of sprawling city growth becomes apparent.

Whatever Governments do, their will be growth. Its effects on quality of life, transport efficiencies are some of the bigger the concerns. It seems many people will seek a 'sea change' or 'tree change'. So regional areas are expected to see change as the cities become less attractive to many.

The growth of Melbourne will affect AFL clubs. But the problem is the bigger clubs will benefit most, as they always have done. So the smaller clubs may just get relatively smaller. So less clubs in Melbourne may be the best outcome, or maybe just more games in the regions, Ballarat, Bendigo, Albury etc.

Its certainly an interesting topic.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The AFL is not a bottomless pit, when it spends money it does not have, it runs a loss.

IF it needs to review it priorities, do it. It wont though IMHO.

No matter what Tas costs (within reason), tighten the belt & do it.

As I assume, due to larger economies of scale, airfares will be cheaper (in real terms, taking into account inflation) between Melb. & Tas., there will certainly be considerably more people taking the 1 hr flight between Melb. & Tasmania. Many might consider Tasmania "Greater Southern Melbourne, GSM"; & it will become, economically at least, more "integrated" with the Melbourne megapolis.

Many more Vic. AFL fans will seek to escape, in future decades, the congested, polluted "rat race" of Melb. for a relaxing footy tourism trip to beautiful Tasmania. This will be very beneficial for the Tas. tourism economy, for the Tas. govt., & for the Tas. AFL team attracting larger home crowds. This should assist the chances of Tasmania getting its own team by c. 2025.

The c. 11,200,000 Vic. pop. (& Melb. 9,000,000) by 2056 reduces even further any chances (already very unlikely) of a Melb. AFL team merging, or relocating to anywhere. Melb.'s greatest pop. growth is occurring in the nth, NW, & western suburbs, where land is relatively "cheap" (particularly good news for Footscray & NMFC).

How many players will be needed to fill the boots of an elite competition (7-800 players now), will it be 1000+, even more??

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL is not a bottomless pit, when it spends money it does not have, it runs a loss.

IF it needs to review it priorities, do it. It wont though IMHO.

No matter what Tas costs (within reason), tighten the belt & do it.

How many players will be needed to fill the boots of an elite competition (7-800 players now), will it be 1000+, even more??

I'd think their would never be enough A grade players to satisfy everyone anyway. supporters are ever demanding & critical. Its impossible to get 22 superstars in each team. Real superstar types are rare. they always will be.

The Oz population & the 'pathway' thing have really made more players available to the draft. Guys that suit the modern game.

Modern footy is more about running & endurance. If they can hit a target, well & good. It ain't like the old days when it was as much bash & crash & kick it a mile sort of stuff. I miss the older, straight up the guts, style of game. Maybe not the biff so much. ;)

I think the aim of this AFL group here would be to show the teams financial bona fides. It has to show a positive cost/benefit analysis for both the AFL & Government. That's the financial, social & political aspects of the exercise.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

As I assume, due to larger economies of scale, airfares will be cheaper (in real terms, taking into account inflation) between Melb. & Tas., there will certainly be considerably more people taking the more regular 1 hr flights between Melb. & Tasmania. Many might consider Tasmania "Greater Southern Melbourne, GSM"; & it will become, economically at least, more "integrated" with the Melbourne megapolis.

Unless Victoria's population growth is 10/18ths of Australia's total population growth, then the Melbourne market is getting more overrepresented, not less.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Unless Victoria's population growth is 10/18ths of Australia's total population growth, then the Melbourne market is getting more overrepresented, not less.[N0]
Melb. (which has 9/18th of the AFL's teams) is growing faster than all other Aust. capitals. It is one of the fastest growing major cities in the western world, & had net growth of 119,355 in y/e June 2018.

One can argue that it is overrepresented with AFL teams- but the AFL was created from the VFL, a glorious, irreplaceable multi-generational history since 1858. Melb. teams are extremely unlikely to ever agree to merge or relocate (but some will probably always want to take many home games pa to NSW, Qld & the NT).

Also, the AFL would not want to risk losing the massive support these Melb. teams provide. Raw & pro rata very high crowd nos., Ratings & Draft nos., political & commercial strength, cultural/historical hegemony for AF- & are the cash cow for the AFL's fully owned & very profitable DS.

My citing of Melb.'s growth to 9,000,000 by 2056 was not to justify its 9 AFL teams.
It was to demonstrate it is very likely that, in 2056, many more fans would visit Tas. to see their team play Tasmania. The bigger crowds from Vic. are an additional, economic validation for a new Tas. team (& larger stadia in Hobart & Launy).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back