Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
TASMANIAN ENTRY INTO THE AFL C. 2025 APPEARS ALMOST CERTAIN
(See also my posts # 874 & 937, which include, also, the many vast indirect benefits for the AFL) )

1. This retweeted
. 12.10.19 Herald Sun Melb. Poster Tassie Devils into AFL, great caricature.
Melb. Herald Sun, with numerous pro Tas. 19th team articles, is pushing strongly for a Tas. 19th team c.2025; & it has also argued very forcefully in its Editorial for a 2025 Tas. AFL team entry, c. 8 weeks ago.

. 25.10.19 The full transcript from The Age, quoting the Fed. LNP Sport Minister R. Colbeck

Tasmania has been "taken for granted too long..." & is "ready for its own club"..."who has given his backing to the Hodgman-government backed Task Force"; & why he believes Tas. should have a team, & refers to willingness by Fed. govt. to contribute to stadium "major infrastructure".

2. Tasmanian AFL Team tweet 10.10.19
"There are currently 90,000 Tasmanians who are members of AFL clubs".

The AFL said in 2018 (interestingly, for the first time, AFAIK) that there were c. 50,000 people living in Tasmania who are AFL members.

About 5 months ago in the Tasmania Talks podcasts (R. Fontyn), Task Force Bid member Errol Stewart said, paraphrasing

. there are about 50,000, 60,000, 70,000 or more Tasmanians who are currently AFL club members- he did not clarify.
These higher figures (ie over 50,000) probably refer to estimates of the total no. of Tasmanians around Australia (ie inc. expats) who are AFL club members.

3. The Courier Ballarat A. Holmes 24.10

Tas. AFL Team Task Force member E. Stewart said "Building a new stadium in Hobart had not been considered".
The proposed Macquarie Point stadium has, also, no support from the Tas. govt. as it is "...not part of the Master Plan for Macquarie Point...".

Both Hobart & Launceston will both definitely host games, with a 6/5 split. York Park capacity would need to be upgraded from its current 21,000 capacity.

(AFAIK, the Task Force has not formally stated where the team should be based- common sense dictates it would be Hobart).

4. Tasmania Talks Podcast Rick Fontyn host. 11.10.19

Errol Stewart said

. Re private financial backing for the Bid team "...I'm sure there's good corporate support..."; & "...a lot of high net worth individuals..." are also backing the Bid

. Re previous alleged deep nth./sth divisions in Tas AFL bids "We've put to bed we're not divided, to the AFL...that was one of the excuses...".

. "There's a relatively good chance now (my emphases)" Tasmania will get into the AFL by 2025.

. "It's possible an AFLW team could enter before an AFL team" ie before 2025.

. "The migration out of Tasmania has mainly been to Melbourne in the last 50 years...These Tasmanians would watch Tasmania play in away games in Melbourne". This additional expat Tas. support attending Tas. away games in Melbourne would add value for the AFL.

.The Bid submission will be delivered to the AFL Commission in 2020, & the Task Force would strongly request a clear reply from the Commission in 2020.

5. ABC 7.30 Report C. Clarke

. B. Godrey Task Force Bid member said

"We're going to build a model that's not seeking handouts...There's 100,000 keen expat Tasmanians living in Melbourne, and we have never tapped them... for membership...".

. Alistair Lynch said

"Well you look through just the AFL Hall Of Fame, or the AFL Team Of The Century as a small piece, you see so many Tasmanians in these teams, and when you look at per capita as well, I think its probably the richest (my emphases) source of talent around Australia".

. Tim Lane said

"When I was a kid (1960's- my words), Tasmania was about just as strong a football a state as Western Australia and South Australia, and now they are eons apart".

Last edited:

I see the access to KGV as being the 2nd best option. I did see a study done years ago about KGV which identified thousands of car parking options within that short 5-10min walk. If KGV was developed I'd recon between that & MONA, they would build the light rail system.
I can see this being an easier political sell. Especially if an NBL team comes to DEC, or an A-League team comes to the ground next door, Glenorchy can really position itself as the sporting capital and get a lot of the necessary infrastructure built.

I can see this being an easier political sell. Especially if an NBL team comes to DEC, or an A-League team comes to the ground next door, Glenorchy can really position itself as the sporting capital and get a lot of the necessary infrastructure built.

Its not 'my' best option, but I see it as 'the' best option considering cost, politics & opportunity. The cost is minimised as the ground could be built into a 25k-30k stadium relatively easily. The politics would/has defeated a waterside stadium in Hobart. The opportunity comes from the position near the DEC, Showgrounds, Brooker Hwy, Bus mall, Mona & the proposed light rail.

Ps, Tas won't get an A-league team anytime soon. They need a rectangular stadium. We ain't got one anywhere near good enough. They'd need $100mil for one.

Its not 'my' best option, but I see it as 'the' best option considering cost, politics & opportunity. The cost is minimised as the ground could be built into a 25k-30k stadium relatively easily. The politics would/has defeated a waterside stadium in Hobart. The opportunity comes from the position near the DEC, Showgrounds, Brooker Hwy, Bus mall, Mona & the proposed light rail.

Ps, Tas won't get an A-league team anytime soon. They need a rectangular stadium. We ain't got one anywhere near good enough. They'd need $100mil for one.

Can they do what they did in Perth, took over an Oval that had been developed (as in big grandstand 1950s style) as an WAFL ground (East Perths home ground) & turned it into a rectangular field.

Can they do what they did in Perth, took over an Oval that had been developed (as in big grandstand 1950s style) as an WAFL ground (East Perths home ground) & turned it into a rectangular field.
Good point. Hard to say where they could do that. Inner city we have the TCA, North Hobart & Queenborough Oval( almost no parking there). Maybe take over the Rugby ground at Cornelian bay?
Anyway, that's their problem. I wouldn't bother with it. Cricket Footy & Basketball is enough for me. ;)

What ground next door are you talking about ?? if it’s the kgv soccer ground that you mean that’s not even a full size fifa pitch there not allowed to hold ffa cup matches there the grounds also surrounded buy houses

What ground next door are you talking about ?? if it’s the kgv soccer ground that you mean that’s not even a full size fifa pitch there not allowed to hold ffa cup matches there the grounds also surrounded buy houses

I'm certain its full size. Its a synthetic pitch which is why no games with A-league teams are played, so I'm told. They've had cup games on it. I watched South Hobart play a Canberra team a few seasons ago. Lately its been Devonport playing in the cup so they play at home, Valley Road.

Several big name sponsors have been secured for tassies AFL team,this is big news for the bid and will definitely help build a strong case.
Yeah I’ve herd two major sponsors have been signed two large national level company’s will be announced soon as well as a number of minor sponsors so much for the no corporate support everyone craps on about afl are slowly running out of excuses 👍

Yeah I’ve herd two major sponsors have been signed two large national level company’s will be announced soon as well as a number of minor sponsors so much for the no corporate support everyone craps on about afl are slowly running out of excuses 👍

I don't think anyone questioned the ability of the team to get major sponsors - the national appeal of the AFL will see to that. It's selling 100 corporate boxes at $50k a pop that will be the challenge.

I don't think anyone questioned the ability of the team to get major sponsors - the national appeal of the AFL will see to that. It's selling 100 corporate boxes at $50k a pop that will be the challenge.
A lot of people have made comments about there not being enough large company’s based in Tasmania to gain sufficient sponsors this proves them wrong there’s been times when the smaller vic clubs have gone with out major sponsors and struggled to find them so it’s a great sign we have been able to sign two major ones With out even having a team yet as for the corporate boxes both Blundstone and Utas stadiums will have to upgrade and expand there corporate sections but the corporate boxes they currently have are already booked out for all the hawthorn an north games another good sign I think people on the main land still like to look at Tasmania as a country town I think everyone will be massively surprised buy the level of support there will be should the state get a license it will embarrass the afl when compared to how little support gws and the suns have got so far!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think Cadbury would sign on. Can't have any alcohol sponsorship on the jumper, so that rules out Cascade and Boags.

Any other large companies based out of Tassie?

Plenty of people have questioned the ability to get major sponsors. Multiple posters have mentioned it throughout this thread and in historic threads on this issue.

You would think Cadbury would sign on. Can't have any alcohol sponsorship on the jumper, so that rules out Cascade and Boags.

Hydro and TT line that currently sponsors North are two other potential Tasmanian sponsors.

A lot of people have made comments about there not being enough large company’s based in Tasmania to gain sufficient sponsors this proves them wrong there’s been times when the smaller vic clubs have gone with out major sponsors and struggled to find them so it’s a great sign we have been able to sign two major ones

For how much?

Didn’t know that I’ve never heard that you couldn’t have alcohol sponsorship on ship on jumpers? Bit strange one of the AFL main sponsors is CUB brewery

Boags & Cascade are separate companies that are now owned by Nathan Lion & CUB respectively. (Boags Premium & Cascade Pale Ale being 2 of my faves :))
Many companies that operate or are based here are owned outside the state. That doesn't mean they wouldn't sponsor the AFL team as a business opportunity, & to contribute back to the community.
For instance, the Farrell family from Sydney, who control Tasmania's poker machines, bought the last state election for the Libs so as to keep that control. So they owe a favour or two.
Their are quite a few local companies like Voss construction, Incat, Tassal, Petunia seafoods etc etc that one could look to I guess. plenty of outside owned companies like Cadbury, Nyrstar, Norske Scog paper conglomerate etc.
I guess the Task Force will winkle a few out. ;)

Norske Scog paper conglomerate

Not suggesting its necessarily relevant, but its closing the Albury mill.

I see Matthew Richardson saying it'll be 2025. Also commented on Jack Riewoldt saying he'd think strongly about returning to be part of a Tassie team.

I think he'd be a great addition to start a team off. He's certainly grown up since his initial childish & petulant behaviour in the AFL.

He's grown into a real leader, thankfully for himself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back