Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The City Of Melbourne Gross Local Product has been estimated at over $100.3 billion in 2018- which is greater than the Gross State Product of Tasmania, NT & ACT combined, $96 billion.
The City of Melbourne LGA represents the CBD, Docklands, St Kilda Rd, Southbank, East & West Melb., Parkville, Carlton & parts of Sth Yarra, Flemington, Nth Melb., Pt Melb. & Kensington.
It should be noted that there are very large areas around Docklands, Fisherman's Bend & Nth Melb. awaiting redevelopment from obsolete industrial use- mainly medium-high rise residential & office development.

This factor will support Tasmania's bid to join the AFL. Due to Melbourne's proximity (c. 1 hour flight, or overnight car ferry) & economic strength, it can be expected there will be very strong football tourism nos. from Vic. visiting beautiful Tasmania to have a footy trip- which underpins the economic case for the Tas. govt. to financially back the team.

The Tasmanian bid, & the team's future prosperity, will benefit from Tasmania being regarded, defacto, as "Greater Southern Melbourne". It will enjoy the benefits of Melb.'s/Victoria's economic & population boom.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The City Of Melbourne Gross Local Product has been estimated at over $100.3 billion in 2018- which is greater than the Gross State Product of Tasmania, NT & ACT combined, $96 billion.
The City of Melbourne LGA represents the CBD, Docklands, St Kilda Rd, Southbank, East & West Melb., Parkville, Carlton & parts of Sth Yarra, Flemington, Nth Melb., Pt Melb. & Kensington.
It should be noted that there are very large areas around Docklands, Fisherman's Bend & Nth Melb. awaiting redevelopment from obsolete industrial use- mainly medium-high rise residential & office development.

This factor will support Tasmania's bid to join the AFL. Due to Melbourne's proximity (c. 1 hour flight, or overnight car ferry) & economic strength, it can be expected there will be very strong football tourism nos. from Vic. visiting beautiful Tasmania to have a footy trip- which underpins the economic case for the Tas. govt. to financially back the team.

The Tasmanian bid, & the team's future prosperity, will benefit from Tasmania being regarded, defacto, as "Greater Southern Melbourne". It will enjoy the benefits of Melb.'s/Victoria's economic & population boom.

I think Tasmania in general will be part of the Sea/tree change that people seek when they tire of the 'commute' thing. The trick will be to have enough of the sort of jobs that will keep more young people here, or attract them as a work & lifestyle choice.

The article shows that the City area of Melbourne has a lot of Business, Government, Education & Research organisations that will attract professional type people. The total of jobs at some 460k is way over the city areas population of about 140k.

I've no doubt that having all clubs play here, Launy one year & Hobart the next, will attract a lot of footy tourists. Likewise people here will continue to fly to Melbourne for AFL games.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SEN Melb. Radio A. Maher R. Murphy program 18.11

L. Kestelman, NBL owner, interviewed.

The NBL is obtaining strong crowds in Aust., & had a record, national crowd of 17,514 in Sydney on Saturday.
Its Aust. ratings are still very low- but had 2,000,000 Facebook USA viewers for 2 NBL games last week (I'm not sure if these are unique viewers, average viewing time etc., value $).

He said the NBL is the 2nd best BB league in the world, after the NBA, & wants to add a few more teams In Aust.
He said, when asked if the NBL wanted to introduce a team in Tasmania
"Absolutely, we've been working at it for the last 9 months". He said Tasmanians are keen to have another professional team, the NBL has been working closely with the Tas. govt, but wants improvements in the Hobart DEC, for an Hobart Basketball stadium.

(click on 18.11 L. Kestelman interview: then go to 6 minutes 29 seconds to 7 mins. 30 seconds)

Basketball & soccer participation nos. are booming in Tasmania, mainly due to VFL/AFL carpetbagging of its best AF players, & general AF neglect.
The AFL has strong competition for a professional team- which, if the NBL is successful, would turbocharge Tas. GR basketball nos. further.

Last edited:

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
SEN Melb. Radio A. Maher R. Murphy program 18.11

L. Kestelman, NBL owner, interviewed.

The NBL is obtaining strong crowds in Aust., & had a record, national crowd of 17,514 in Sydney on Saturday.
Its Aust. ratings are still very low- but had 2,000,000 Facebook USA viewers for 2 NBL games last week (I'm not sure if these are unique viewers, average viewing time etc., value $).

He said the NBL is the 2nd best BB league in the world, after the NBA, & wants to add a few more teams In Aust.
He said, when asked if the NBL wanted to introduce a team in Tasmania
"Absolutely, we've been working at it for the last 9 months". He said Tasmanians are keen to have another professional team, the NBL has been working closely with the Tas. govt, but wants improvements in the Hobart DEC, for an Hobart Basketball stadium.

(click on 18.11 L. Kestelman interview: then go to 6 minutes 29 seconds to 7 mins. 30 seconds)

Basketball & soccer participation nos. are booming in Tasmania, mainly due to VFL/AFL carpetbagging of its best AF players, & general AF neglect.
The AFL has strong competition for a professional team- which, if the NBL is successful, would turbocharge Tas. GR basketball nos. further.
Its all up to the Government regarding a NBL team. They have to pay 1.5mil per year plus upgrade the DEC to the cost of $20-$100 mil. (and perhaps the Silverdome). Part of that funding has already been pledged by the government regarding a new stadium for basketball in an election(can't remember how much or which level of government)

The government have played their cards close to their chest. personally, I fearing the worst. They just don't seem that eager. One can not discount Larry and the property development side of him. He wants to buy the DEC/area around the DEC as well and build shops around the DEC. A lot of tough talks and negotiation going on. The good news regarding any development is that the Glenorchy City Council owns it, and not Hobart City Council.

For me, it is a no-brainer. Hobart needs a new entertainment centre and this has a basketball team attached to it to make sure it isn't a white elephant like the current one is. The current one is simply too old to entice acts to it and has no current tenant. It costs rate payers money. But Hobart needs a centre like the DEC.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its all up to the Government regarding a NBL team. They have to pay 1.5mil per year plus upgrade the DEC to the cost of $20-$100 mil. (and perhaps the Silverdome). Part of that funding has already been pledged by the government regarding a new stadium for basketball in an election(can't remember how much or which level of government)

The government have played their cards close to their chest. personally, I fearing the worst. They just don't seem that eager. One can not discount Larry and the property development side of him. He wants to buy the DEC/area around the DEC as well and build shops around the DEC. A lot of tough talks and negotiation going on. The good news regarding any development is that the Glenorchy City Council owns it, and not Hobart City Council.

For me, it is a no-brainer. Hobart needs a new entertainment centre and this has a basketball team attached to it to make sure it isn't a white elephant like the current one is. The current one is simply too old to entice acts to it and has no current tenant. It costs rate payers money. But Hobart needs a centre like the DEC.
I haven't heard any talk of them potentially requiring 100 million,allthough if they increase the capacity to 10000,which is been looked at they may require that sort of money.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Theirs a lot of politics in spending money on sport. Many people want the cash thrown into the health 'black hole'. They don't realise the Hospital problem is more administrative than anything else. State Hospitals need a broom put through them to clear out the bureaucrats clogging up the pipes.

The DEC needs an upgrade. Council have done nothing except put buckets under the leaks. Local Government is pathetic.

I don't think it needs/will get a capacity increase. 5400 Basketball capacity would probably have to do, as an increase would cost the real big bucks.

This State Government promised $9mill I think. It is for a community facility, 4-5 courts. Apart from Kingston, the rest of them about the place are near derelict.

The silverdome also needs work done. The court is ok, the changerooms etc need a makeover, just like the DEC does.

The real money will need to be spent on Pork park & Boot Park. the bulk of any spend will be at Pork park, for obvious reasons.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. This BF link has some very good commentary on the impressive rise of the NBL, & includes much detailed NBL information from the recent The Australian. See post #1629.

The Australian states :-
. " A 10th team is slated for Tasmania".

. "Participation levels in Australia have more than doubled in the last 3 years, making it the second highest participation sport in Australia".
This statement is misleading/ incorrect. "Participant" might be defined as a person who only played once in the last 12 months- but, there is no doubt that GR BB participant nos. are rising strongly in Tasmania: & male GR AF comp. nos have been in along term decline there, due to AFL neglect of Tasmania.

This link is about the background to the 2,000,000 USA Facebook viewers for 1 or 2 recent NBL games. Apparenty, Facebook nos. are very unreliable- since simply anything that appears on your feed is counted as 1 " viewer". They don't include a person actually viewing the scrolled item, for how long etc.?

2. The AFL Tassie- United We Stand web pledge appears to have stalled at under 61,000 in the last 2 weeks.
This is disconcerting, as the nos. must be considered "rubbery": it is simply easy to sign the pledge, without any upfront financial commitment.

An "acceptable" no., IMO, would have to be 100,000+, but is it likely to reach at least 100,000+?

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. This BF link has some very good commentary on the impressive rise of the NBL, & includes much detailed NBL information from the recent The Australian. See post #1629.
It states " A 10th team is slated for Tasmania".

This link is about the background to the 2,000,000 USA Facebook viewers for 1 or 2 recent NBL games. Apparenty, Facebook nos. are very unreliable- since simply anything that appears on your feed is counted as 1 " viewer". They don't include a person actually viewing the scrolled item, for how long etc.?

2. The AFL Tassie- United We Stand web pledge appears to have stalled at under 61,000 in the last 2 weeks.
This is disconcerting, as the nos. must be considered "rubbery": it is simply easy to sign the pledge, without any upfront financial commitment.

An "acceptable" no., IMO, would have to be 100,000+, but is it likely to reach at least 100,000+?
The pledges have passed 63000 now

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The pledges have passed 63000 now
1. I stand corrected- thanks for the latest figure. I still regard c. 63,000 as disappointing, since the Pledge has had massive publicity in Tasmania.
I always assumed the Pledge would obtain 100,000+ signatures, such was the passion for AF in Tasmania.

A Deloitte expert P. Liggins (linked earlier by me) has stated, c. 10.10, that such "pledges" might actually result in between 20-50% only of the signatures actually taking out a membership; & also said the AFL would have scepticism about the significance of the pledge nos.

The Tas. & Fed. govts. might also have scepticism since they might be considering spending hundreds of millions $ on upgrading Bellerive & York Park to c. 30,000 capacity each. Since there will be only be 11 AFL games pa, divided between the 2 venues, the taxpayer must be protected- & proper due diligence on the potential crowd nos. etc need to be conducted.

If the rubbery web Pledge can't reach at least 100,000 in the next 6-12 months, then creating a 19th team in Tasmania might be in jeopardy; ditto, spending massive amounts of taxpayer funds increasing the capacity to c. 30,000 in both Hobart & Launy.

IMO, the Tas. govt should seek initial financial commitments from 40,000 members for the team- $150 for a Hobart membership, $125 for Launy (fans informed both fully refundable if the bid does not proceed). This is not much money for fans to show their passion to have their own team: only a coffee a week for c. 40 weeks.

2. The Fed. govt will bring forward $3.8 billion of infrastructure spending- including $1.8 billion in the next 2 years.

Door opens for Bellarive & York Park upgrades?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
You may suggest a financial commitment. I doubt that's been done anywhere else. I'd just confirm the publics view of the AFL.

I understand Tasmania currently has more AFL club memberships than some AFL clubs do.

I think that shows the Tasmanian Bona Fides in so far as following the AFL goes.

I don't think membership will be an issue. The task force is focussing on the business case as I understand it. That makes more sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
You may suggest a financial commitment. I doubt that's been done anywhere else.

Never been done in the way suggested, nor should Tasmania be the first to do so.

I don't think membership will be an issue. The task force is focussing on the business case as I understand it. That makes more sense to me.

Agree, the business case is key and membership will follow from that.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I haven't heard any talk of them potentially requiring 100 million,allthough if they increase the capacity to 10000,which is been looked at they may require that sort of money.
They want 18-20 million to upgrade the dec there’s no plan to expand it to 10,000 stadium 5000 capacity will be fine they just plan on modernising the current one the 100-200 million dollar figure is what Larry kestleman is planning on spending on the property development next to the stadium that’s his own money nothing to do with the government

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you think the afl have done a good job developing football down here over the last couple decades do you ?? 😭

Probably not all up. I highly doubt it is all the AFL's fault either

I certainly don't think the basketball's grass roots are growing in Tasmania due to "AFL carpet baggers". That's nuts

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
1. I stand corrected- thanks for the latest figure. I still regard c. 63,000 as disappointing, since the Pledge has had massive publicity in Tasmania.
I always assumed the Pledge would obtain 100,000+ signatures, such was the passion for AF in Tasmania.

A Deloitte expert P. Liggins (linked earlier by me) has stated, c. 10.10, that such "pledges" might actually result in between 20-50% only of the signatures actually taking out a membership; & also said the AFL would have scepticism about the significance of the pledge nos.

The Tas. & Fed. govts. might also have scepticism since they might be considering spending hundreds of millions $ on upgrading Bellerive & York Park to c. 30,000 capacity each. Since there will be only be 11 AFL games pa, divided between the 2 venues, the taxpayer must be protected- & proper due diligence on the potential crowd nos. etc need to be conducted.

If the rubbery web Pledge can't reach at least 100,000 in the next 6-12 months, then creating a 19th team in Tasmania might be in jeopardy; ditto, spending massive amounts of taxpayer funds increasing the capacity to c. 30,000 in both Hobart & Launy.

IMO, the Tas. govt should seek initial financial commitments from 40,000 members for the team- $150 for a Hobart membership, $125 for Launy (fans informed both fully refundable if the bid does not proceed). This is not much money for fans to show their passion to have their own team: only a coffee a week for c. 40 weeks.

2. The Fed. govt will bring forward $3.8 billion of infrastructure spending- including $1.8 billion in the next 2 years.

Door opens for Bellarive & York Park upgrades?
Normally like your post mate but you’re a bit of the mark on a few things here the pledge number will have very little bearing on weather we get a team or not doesn’t matter how high or low it is if anything I think the bid team are using it more as a information grab if we do get a team theywill already have a heap of people’s contact details on file and as for people having to pre pay memberships to show passion that’s silly no one is going to do that because why should we have to gws, and the suns didn’t have to neither have any other team that’s ever come into the comp it’s insulting if they expect that and as for the crowds we have shown from the fifo games were we have averaged similar numbers to gws and the suns and that’s watching teams that have zero connection to Tasmania for a local team the numbers would increase massively and no government would upgrade either stadium unless we had a guarantee of a license and that’s fair enough!

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They want 18-20 million to upgrade the dec there’s no plan to expand it to 10,000 stadium 5000 capacity will be fine they just plan on modernising the current one the 100-200 million dollar figure is what Larry kestleman is planning on spending on the property development next to the stadium that’s his own money nothing to do with the government
I saw an article with Larry Kestelman talking about one of the options being looked at is to increase capacity to 10000,I know the development around Wilkinson's point is to cost 200 million or so, One of Hobart's music promoters has always said the Dec should of been built to hold that many,so they can attract more of the big name bands,why not take this opportunity to do it right now.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I saw an article with Larry Kestelman talking about one of the options being looked at is to increase capacity to 10000,I know the development around Wilkinson's point is to cost 200 million or LPso_One of Hobart's music promoters has always said the Dec should of been built to hold that many,so they can attract more of the big name bands,why not take this opportunity to do it right now.
The DEC really did itself proud when the lights went out on the Red Hot Chilli Peppers...

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

I certainly don't think the basketball's grass roots are growing in Tasmania due to "AFL carpet baggers". That's nuts

It's the politics of FIFO, added to the 'Footy in the North & cricket in the South' rubbish. The dismantling of school footy. The lack of AFLTas activity in the schools to replace it. The lack of help to junior associations.

Clearly kids see a lot of NBL & EPL type soccer, more then ever now on TV, Fox, YouTube etc. The local basketball send the SEABL men & ladies into schools & holiday programs. The 4 teams here have 2 US imports each, the kids love them. The FIFO teams did very little, mainly for the cameras.

Its a confluence of all these things, but mainly AFL neglect.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. SEN Radio T.Watson & G. Lyon program 21.11

Interviewed B. Gale, Richmond CEO , whom many MSM experts are predicting will possibly be the next AFL CEO (& some are predicting CEO G. McLachlan will depart at the end of season 2020). Re being CEO, T. Watson said "Your name often gets mentioned".

When asked about whether it is likely Tasmania will get its own, stand-alone team, Gale said
"I do, I do...not sure when...Tasmania has the right, the legitimate right...to have a team...it's a compelling argument...if the (AFL) industry wanted to make it a priority, we can...".

Re the Tas. Bid Team, Gale said
"they've got right of (sic) the economics...".

(go to 13 minutes 5 seconds to 15 mins- 30 seconds)

EDIT:

2. This link refers to the NBL new Tasmanian team bid: & also states re the NBL

"The Australian League, successfully playing off the booming (my emphasis) popularity of the NBA, which is enjoying record levels of Australian consumption and participation (my emphases)...There were a record 13 Australians in the NBA last season".

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
SEN Radio T.Watson & G. Lyon program 21.11

Interviewed B. Gale, Richmond CEO , whom many MSM experts are predicting will possibly be the next AFL CEO (& some are predicting CEO G. McLachlan will depart at the end of season 2020). Re being CEO, T. Watson said "Your name often gets mentioned".

When asked about whether it is likely Tasmania will get its own, stand-alone team, Gale said
"

Re the Tas. Bid Team, Gale said
"they've got right of (sic) the economics, it's not just footy...".

(go to 13 minutes 5 seconds to 15 mins- 30 seconds)

Good to see Gale not anti, interesting use of the term 'the collective AFL industry' - what do the Commissioners do these days.

Whether or not Gale gets the gig post Gil, wont impact the Tas decision IMHO.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

No it’s not all the AFL fault but over the last decade some of the things they have done down here is mind blowing google rober
I saw an article with Larry Kestelman talking about one of the options being looked at is to increase capacity to 10000,I know the development around Wilkinson's point is to cost 200 million or so, One of Hobart's music promoters has always said the Dec should of been built to hold that many,so they can attract more of the big name bands,why not take this opportunity to do it right now.
yeah 10,000 would be great for getting concerts ect but the way the dec was built I imagine it would be v
It's the politics of FIFO, added to the 'Footy in the North & cricket in the South' rubbish. The dismantling of school footy. The lack of AFLTas activity in the schools to replace it. The lack of help to junior associations.

Clearly kids see a lot of NBL & EPL type soccer, more then ever now on TV, Fox, YouTube etc. The local basketball send the SEABL men & ladies into schools & holiday programs. The 4 teams here have 2 US imports each, the kids love them. The FIFO teams did very little, mainly for the cameras.

Its a confluence of all these things, but mainly AFL neglect.
100 % agree I think people underestimate how important school football is it was madness to take it out of public schools in the nineties even the private schools are struggling to field teams now one thing you missed was the afl sending Robert auld Travis brother to be head of afl tas the guy had no experience in sports administration whatsoever that turned into a disaster losing the two northwest tsl clubs in his time and if a nbl club comes in soon that would have a huge impact on football down here look how popular the chargers were getting a couple years ago with the kids imagine what a nbl team could put some pressure on afl !

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good to see Gale not anti, interesting use of the term 'the collective AFL industry' - what do the Commissioners do these days.

Whether or not Gale gets the gig post Gil, wont impact the Tas decision IMHO.
I think it could definitely have an impact if gale got the top job I imagine we would have a lot better chance of getting a team with him then gill who is more or less a demitrio deciple who was dead against a Tasmanian team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back