Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The business case for a tasmanian AFL team will be delivered to the state government by the second week of December,although the details will not be released to the public until the new year.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably be half redacted as 'in confidence'. ;)

Must be due for the Wilkinsons point/NBL decision about then too. :)
The nbl chief is due to meet with the premier tomorrow,hopefully a decision not too far away,if we don't have a decision by years end we have to wait another year before entry.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The nbl chief is due to meet with the premier tomorrow,hopefully a decision not too far away,if we don't have a decision by years end we have to wait another year before entry.

I think its now or never, for both sports.

The NBL is easier as it combines the commercial development complex at Wilkinsons point. The DEC desperately needs an upgrade anyway so, to most of us, it makes good sense to do the deal & get the NBL team, a redeveloped DEC & the $200mil associated development with it.

The AFL is a bit different. Its the overall economics on both sides, plus the AFL's own footy politics.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think its now or never, for both sports.

The NBL is easier as it combines the commercial development complex at Wilkinsons point. The DEC desperately needs an upgrade anyway so, to most of us, it makes good sense to do the deal & get the NBL team, a redeveloped DEC & the $200mil associated development with it.

The AFL is a bit different. Its the overall economics on both sides, plus the AFL's own footy politics.
The Tasmanian government have said because of the amount of money required,they may need some money from the federal government,if this happens it will hold everything up,because the federal gov won't give money easily.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Tasmanian government have said because of the amount of money required,they may need some money from the federal government,if this happens it will hold everything up,because the federal gov won't give money easily.

They gave a heap ($100mil)to Townsville for their new stadium, NQS. Townsville is a marginal seat.

That sort of money wouldn't be 'wasted' in a place like Hobart which has an independent & a labourite in the two seats concerned. Launceston's seat is marginal LNP so its 'in the race'.

Sounds Cynical I know, but its a fact.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. No Tasmanian was drafted in the 2019 main Draft. These are snapshots of the AFL incompetence & neglect that have led to the decline of GR AF in Tasmania- & its dysfunctional elite pathways.

"A Tasmanian AFL team in the boys' backyard would be the ultimate circuit-breaker"

2. In 2016, The Age E. Quayle, an expert on players in the the elite U18 National Championships, said

"...in Tasmania that while kids in the northern states are benefiting from the heavily resourced, (AFL!)club-based Academy (my emphases) programs, theirs have been neglected and are falling behind at pace".

Quayle also wrote re the views of A. Sanders, the Tas. State Academy coach
"...the gap is widening because his boys have access to LESS of most things the northern kids now get: FULL TIME coaching staff, long term development programs, other resources, games together and the insight to AFL players' (my emphases) lives that the (nthn.) Academy players get such a good glimpse of".
(It is very rare that AFL Tasmania officials will publicly admit any direct or implied criticism of the AFL/its systems, re Tasmania).

It should be noted that AFL draft nos. declined from ACT/NSW in the decade prior to 2012, even though there were generic AF Academies there- but when the Acadmies were rebranded to GWS Giants & Sydney Swans (including their colours) with stronger links to the AFL Clubs, the Academy & Draft nos. began to rise significantly.
Stronger AFL team "emotional & tribal" connections with the GR will always bear fruit- ditto Tasmanian team.

4. The Age S. McClure 21.11

Other MSM writers are saying it is very likely G. Mc Lachlan will depart the AFL at the end of 2020. Mc Clure wrote

"Brendon Gale, who is the favourite for the role of AFL boss when Gill Mc Lachlan moves on...Gale is seen as the overwhelming front runner to replace Mc Lachlan".

As Gale has indicated he supports a 19th team being established in Tasmania, if he becomes AFL CEO, the Tasmanian Bid will be considerably enhanced.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
No Tasmanian was drafted in the 2019 Draft. These are snapshots of the AFL incompetence that has led to the decline of GR AF in Tasmania- & its dysfunctional elite pathways.
If Tasmania had its own AFL team, & proper elite pathways were established, Tasmanian players would have the same "encouragement" & opportunities as other states.

In 2016, E. Quayle, an expert on players in the the elite U18 National Championships, said

"...in Tasmania that while kids in the northern states are benefiting from the heavily resourced, club-based Academy (my emphases) programs, theirs have been neglected and are falling behind at pace".

About 3 years ago I remember the Tassie u18's played the Swans academy here in Hobart. It was noted that the NSW boys had coaches with more AFL experience & a bigger budget than Tasmania's entire football pathway, including the State league.

What hope?

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
ON 25.10, outgoing NRL Chairman P. Beattie was quoted in The Australian as in favour of the NRL expanding to 17 teams after 2023, with a 2nd team being added in Brisbane.
Ditto new NRL Chairman P. V'Landys who was quoted by P. Badel in the Courier Mail 30.11. Badel wrote, re the NRL '"While mindful of the AFL threat in Queensland...", it wants to ensure that Qld. remains strong in State Of Origin (only 15% of NRL players are eligible for Qld.).

Whilst a 17th NRL team in Queensland is not relevant as to whether the AFL decides Tasmania should enter the AFL as the 19th team, it is interesting that both comps. are currently considering if it's feasible & "desirable" to expand with an odd no. of teams.

(see post #1751)

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
ON 25.10, outgoing NRL Chairman P. Beattie was quoted in The Australian as in favour of the NRL expanding to 17 teams after 2023, with a 2nd team being added in Brisbane.
Ditto new NRL Chairman P. V'Landys who was quoted by P. Badel in the Courier Mail 30.11. Badel wrote, re the NRL '"While mindful of the AFL threat in Queensland...", it wants to ensure that Qld. remains strong in State Of Origin (only 15% of NRL players are eligible for Qld.).

Whilst a 17th NRL team in Queensland is not relevant as to whether the AFL decides Tasmania should enter the AFL as the 19th team, it is interesting that both comps. are currently considering it feasible & "desirable" to expand with an odd no. of teams.

(see post #1751)
I'm not sure whether the AFL are considering adding another team,only time will tell on that one,but they have made no annoucement on that yet.

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haggers from a Perth sports radio station has indicated that a team in Tasmania will soon to be announced and the season will have less rounds.I wonder if this is true or is it just an assumption,he definitly sounded certain that the AFL are soon to announce a team in Tassie,only time will tell.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Haggers from a Perth sports radio station has indicated that a team in Tasmania will soon to be announced and the season will have less rounds.I wonder if this is true or is it just an assumption,he definitly sounded certain that the AFL are soon to announce a team in Tassie,only time will tell.

I hope he's right, but Hagdorn is usually about as reliable as a Lada with its engine missing. So I wouldn't pop the champagne corks just yet.

how many less rounds? was he talking 18 (play everyone once, one team has a bye each week), because that would be a fair whack on afl revenues.

Massive taxes?

TasAFL get something around $2mil. With at least 50k AFL members at say at a basic $100 each, that's about $5mil minimum to start with going the other way.

I see the club finances with the bottom few getting some large amounts to keep them afloat.

So apart from what we see in the club finances, what are these 'gains; from being in a larger market that Tassie wouldn't? Please explain.

I think it more likely Victoria has gained a lot out of the current set up. Certainly a massive amount more pro rata than Tasmania ever has.

Massive taxes....stadium deals that put money in the pocket of the AFL rather than the clubs. e.g. Roughly 50% of MCG revenue that goes to 'football' goes to the AFL, and given the clubs seem eager to play there rather than Docklands, that's probably worse.

I'd call that a fairly substantial AFL tax paid (only) by Vic (mostly Melbourne) based clubs.

The gains from being in a larger market (with more clubs) are usually referred to as economies of scale. Some costs can be shared. They also gain from additional crowds from the 'away' team being local.

I'm going to enjoy seeing Telsor absolutely spewing when the Tassie side enters the competition - followed by the inevitable decades of carping about why it should never have happened.

No, I'll be laughing at all of you trying to justify the awful financial reports and your efforts to explain that even though you wanted other clubs killed off for poor finances.

Mind you...I do admire your collective optimism about "when the Tassie side enters" considering you're currently pinning your hopes on applying for a provisional licence that hasn't been offered in the first place. You guys must have some really powerful kool aid. If I apply for a provisional position as Scarlett Johansson's boyfriend, can I also be that confident that it'll happen soon?

You guys seem to continually forget that, just as I would need to convince Ms Johannsson, any Tas bid would need to convince the AFL that it is not only good for THEM (a detail oft ignored here) but the best possible option for them. (and they're unlikely to be swayed by all the emotive crap that is 90% of the 'arguments' here).

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Massive taxes....stadium deals that put money in the pocket of the AFL rather than the clubs. e.g. Roughly 50% of MCG revenue that goes to 'football' goes to the AFL, and given the clubs seem eager to play there rather than Docklands, that's probably worse.

I'd call that a fairly substantial AFL tax paid (only) by Vic (mostly Melbourne) based clubs.

The gains from being in a larger market (with more clubs) are usually referred to as economies of scale. Some costs can be shared. They also gain from additional crowds from the 'away' team being local.

The money in the AFL pocket that keeps some old established clubs afloat you mean.

Again, the economies of scale seem not to apply to some Melbourne clubs.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
No, I'll be laughing at all of you trying to justify the awful financial reports and your efforts to explain that even though you wanted other clubs killed off for poor finances.

Mind you...I do admire your collective optimism about "when the Tassie side enters" considering you're currently pinning your hopes on applying for a provisional licence that hasn't been offered in the first place. You guys must have some really powerful kool aid. If I apply for a provisional position as Scarlett Johansson's boyfriend, can I also be that confident that it'll happen soon?

You guys seem to continually forget that, just as I would need to convince Ms Johannsson, any Tas bid would need to convince the AFL that it is not only good for THEM (a detail oft ignored here) but the best possible option for them. (and they're unlikely to be swayed by all the emotive crap that is 90% of the 'arguments' here).
Sorry, I got in first, you lose.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

That old chestnut, a market where supply exceeds demand .....cocked up stadium deals, thats not a tax ..
the MCC & AFL side by side at the trough.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
There's no way in hell the AFL or clubs would agree to that many fewer games.
Could a 19 round season (ie 27 less games) be offset in a media rights sense by 19 thursday night games?
and perhaps additional friday night final for what they call a wildcard game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back