Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Most of them involve long term minimum games contracts
Everything is negotiable.

Anyway i think that is where it will land. 19th team. Bye every week. Thursday night game every week.
and it will be 20 game season with 10 home/10 away so there will be just 2 double up games.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Sure the MCG mandates 45 games a year, Adelaide Oval and Perth stadium require 22 home games a year - the ecomomics of these stadiums are built around it.
Im sure that players and coaches break contracts too nowadays.
money will talk and grounds will be compensated in one way or another.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It might be one event per team if it drops from 11 to 10 home games.

I was taking the pyss

The AFL would need to renegotiate several long term contracts from the weak negotiating position of having little to compensate with beyond poorer access terms

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
People underestimate just how important matchday is to AFL club revenues. The only way they're getting away with less home games is if they charge the same amount for memberships and corporate packages and more for single game tickets. And I reckon people won't cop that and crowds will reduce as a result.

Never mind 7 and Fox will be pissed off.

And just confirming, this is all about a Hagdorn report?

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. The Mercury 4.12

Hawthorn (& NMFC?) is challenging T. Lane's apparent views that Tasmanian c. $75,000,000+ total taxpayer funding for Hawthorn & NMFC would be more effectively spent (in terms of the Tasmanian AF Disaster) on improving & promoting GR AF & AF structures within Tasmania.

(behind a paywall- can anyone open?)

2. D. Barrett, who should have a good understanding of the AFL's current priorities as he is the main reporter on the AFL's own website, obliquely refers to the AFL's increased interest in expanding AF in Tasmania.

"While it was Gold Coast last time, it is Tasmania this time, when it comes to the AFL's geographical plans"

I think there is virtually zero chance of NMFC relocating to Tasmania. It is financially sound, & the members would overwhelmingly reject it (as they did when it was suggested that NMFC- when it had some major problems in 2008- should relocate to the GC).
Also, the Tas. govt. & fans want their own team, with a jumper having the famous map, & myrtle green, gold & primrose colours.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
1. The Mercury 4.12

Hawthorn (& NMFC?) is challenging T. Lane's apparent views that Tasmanian c. $75,000,000+ total taxpayer funding for Hawthorn & NMFC would be more effectively spent (in terms of the Tasmanian AF Disaster) on improving & promoting AF structures within Tasmania.

(behind a paywall- can anyone open?)

2. D. Barrett, who should have a good understanding of the AFL's current priorities, as he is the main reporter on the AFL's own website, obliquely refers to the AFL's increased interest in expanding AF in Tasmania.

"While it was Gold Coast last time, it is Tasmania this time, when it comes to the AFL's geographical plans"

I think there is virtually zero chance of NMFC relocating to Tasmania. It is financially sound, & the members would overwhelmingly reject it (as they did when it was suggested that NMFC- when it had some major problems in 2008- should relocate to the GC).
Also, the Tas. govt. & fans want their own team, with a jumper having the famous map, & myrtle green, gold & primrose colours.

I think (hope) the AFL would dismiss the self interest of both NM & Hawthorn in any decision they make.

I'm not so sure any Tas team should wear what was/is a purely state representative jumper.

I think a predominantly dark green jumper would be great. Maybe with some black or grey. Others may have a better view on that.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I think (hope) the AFL would dismiss the self interest of both NM & Hawthorn in any decision they make.

I'm not so sure any Tas team should wear what was/is a purely state representative jumper.

I think a predominantly dark green jumper would be great. Maybe with some black or grey. Others may have a better view on that.

The problem for the AFL is they may be asked to pick up the shortfall.
Imagine the Hawks without Tas being pushed to give pokies the sars (no Hawks fans I'm not criticising your very well run/professional club, reckon you've done a great job in Tas but its time to go).

Guernsey, loved all the State jumpers, shame WA has always had problems settling on one. IF the State jumper works for Tas, go for it.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. The Mercury 4.12

Hawthorn is attacking T. Lane over his criticism of it & NMFC. HFC is also claiming it is "...supporting community football" in Tasmania (but no details given)!

(then go to twitter 5.12.19, & click on "Hawthorn's Shirtfront Response to Tim Lane" article)

2. T. Lanes report to the Tasmanian govt. on 26.7.19 is an excellent summary of how Tasmanian AF has been severely damaged by the depredations of the VFL & AFL.
These historical wrongs can only be righted by it having its own team- so GR AF has the "necessary tools" & glamour to fight back, & challenge the booming, record soccer & basketball regd. player nos. in Tas.

Interestingly, Lane writes:-

. re C. Wilson, who "...revealed a figure which the naysayers would prefer remain hidden. It was this: the number of Tasmanians who are currently paid up members of AFL clubs is 91,000".
(Was this 91,000 figure really hidden until recently, by whom & why?
Also, the AFL revealed, for the first time AFAIK in 2018, c. 50,000 people living in Tasmania were AFL club members. Why the delay in releasing this crucial info.?)

. Footscray Chairman P. Gordon said, re the viability of a Tasmanian AFL team "There's now no economic case against it. The challenge for Tasmania is to ensure that the settings are in place to support the state's otherwise compelling arguments for an AFL team".

3. It has been previously reported that Tasmanian B. Gale, RFC CEO, is an overwhelming favourite to replace G. McLachlan as AFL CEO (who is likely to depart the AFL at the end of 2020)- but C. Wilson said that X. Campbell, EFC CEO, might be favoured by McLachlan, & might soon become Docklands Manager.
Gale appears to publicly support the imminent Tasmanian 19th team entry (see post #1321).

However, in good news for the Tasmanian Bid, The Age has reported that X. Campbell has informed EFC that he wishes to remain as EFC CEO, in a "long term decision".

(paywall)

4. The remote Kimberley region, sparsely populated, in NW WA is becoming an AFL recruitment phenomenon.
Halls Creek district, population 3000, has alone provided a total 9 AFL drafted players.

What comparisons & lessons can be drawn from it, when Tasmania gets its own team?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
4. The remote Kimberley region, sparsely populated, in NW WA is becoming an AFL recruitment phenomenon.
Halls Creek, population 3000, has alone provided 9 AFL drafted players.

What comparisons & lessons can be drawn from it, when Tasmania gets its own team?

Clearly must be because of the Kimberley team in the AFL right?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
. re C. Wilson, who "...revealed a figure which the naysayers would prefer remain hidden. It was this: the number of Tasmanians who are currently paid up members of AFL clubs is 91,000".
(Was this 91,000 figure really hidden until recently, by whom & why?
Also, the AFL revealed, for the first time AFAIK in 2018, c. 50,000 people living in Tasmania were AFL club members. Why the delay in releasing this crucial info.?)
So they added 40 000 members in a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back