Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they added 40 000 members in a year?[No]
As per my post #1419, the AFL have said (probably the first time it has ever provided any details on this) in 2018 there are c.50,000 Tasmanians living in Tasmania, who are members of AFL clubs.
The 91,000 figure, originally provided by C. Wilson which T. Lane alludes to, is "... the number of Tasmanians who are currently paid up members of AFL clubs". AFAIK, no details have been provided how this figure was obtained.

This 91,000 figure seems amazingly high, if it was only for people living in Tasmania.
A possible explanation for the 91,000 is it also includes:-

. Tasmanians living on the mainland who are members of AFL clubs.
. Tasmanians living in Victoria who are MCC members (members nominate the AFL club they support)
. kids on the mainland or Tasmania who are in Auskick
(My understanding is that, since Auskick costs about $90 and includes free entry to a few AFL games, these Auskick nos. are included in the total club membership nos. Kids nominate which AFL club they support)

As per my post #1419, the AFL have said (probably the first time it has ever provided any details on this) in 2018 there are c.50,000 Tasmanians living in Tasmania, who are members of AFL clubs.
The 91,000 figure, originally provided by C. Wilson which T. Lane alludes to, is "... the number of Tasmanians who are currently paid up members of AFL clubs". AFAIK, no details have been provided how this figure was obtained.

This 91,000 figure seems amazingly high, if it was only for people living in Tasmania.
A possible explanation for the 91,000 is it also includes:-

. Tasmanians living on the mainland who are members of AFL clubs.
. Tasmanians living in Victoria who are MCC members (members nominate the AFL club they support)
. kids on the mainland or Tasmania who are in Auskick
(My understanding is that, since Auskick costs about $90 and includes free entry to a few AFL games, these Auskick nos. are included in the total club membership nos. Kids nominate which AFL club they support)

I said way back I couldn't follow the 90k figure. It just seemed way over the odds to me.
evn at 50k

IMHO it renders membership numbers as unreliable in this context.

So does this apply to current clubs too?

Indeed, why I aways go to the dollars, remember the report on supporters (the Swans top of the pops).

I think the AFL numbers relevant to Auskick would be readily available for the Tas bid, whether the AFL gives the Tas bid access is a different matter. The hard numbers are there.

I said way back I couldn't follow the 90k figure. It just seemed way over the odds to me.
evn at 50k
When you consider north and hawthorn have close to 20 thousand members in Tasmania just between them I don’t find it unrealistic at all you also have to remember the afl have pretty much has no competition whatsoever down here from the other codes like the other states do !

The Tasmanian pledge website discontinued signing up new pledges about 2 weeks ago, after getting 64,232 signees (FTR, despite me posting regular updates of the site, I'm not amongst them, as I'm not part of the intended target audience of potential members) -

The Tasmanian pledge website discontinued signing up new pledges about 2 weeks ago, after getting 64,232 signees (FTR, despite me posting regular updates of the site, I'm not amongst them, as I'm not part of the intended target audience of potential members) -

Just as a matter of interest, I heard (on the grapevine, over a nice local Pinot actually,;)) that agreement has been reached over the NBL push.

Thats fantastic news IMO. No details over how much, when & what for was 'forthcoming'. One more bottle wasn't going to increase the info flow. ;)

I'd suggest it'd be the $20-$30mil to get the DEC up to modern specs, modern seating, modern scoreboard & other technologies, modern chagerooms, toilets, food outlets, corporate stuff etc etc, even a roof without holes. So the capacity should remain at about 5k. Then the Wilkinsons point development time line & expectations, even the originally promised $10mil for decent community basketball centre. All together over $200mil.

This puts some pressure on the AFL for a sound decision, soon.

If they prefer the Tasmanian cabbage patch approach of the last 50years, then I'd hope the State pollies would dump the Carpetbaggers. If the they want to play, then pay for it yourself is the opinion of many here already,

I hope that doesn't happen but we can't continue as we are, its killing our footy & the money is a wasted on renta-clubs. We need to get some equity in the game we've supported for so long.

The tas afl tasforce will hand the business case to the government within days,unfortunately the details will not be released to the public until early next year,but im hearing the case is a very strong case indeed.

Just as a matter of interest, I heard (on the grapevine, over a nice local Pinot actually,;)) that agreement has been reached over the NBL push.

Thats fantastic news IMO. No details over how much, when & what for was 'forthcoming'. One more bottle wasn't going to increase the info flow. ;)

I'd suggest it'd be the $20-$30mil to get the DEC up to modern specs, modern seating, modern scoreboard & other technologies, modern chagerooms, toilets, food outlets, corporate stuff etc etc, even a roof without holes. So the capacity should remain at about 5k. Then the Wilkinsons point development time line & expectations, even the originally promised $10mil for decent community basketball centre. All together over $200mil.

This puts some pressure on the AFL for a sound decision, soon.

If they prefer the Tasmanian cabbage patch approach of the last 50years, then I'd hope the State pollies would dump the Carpetbaggers. If the they want to play, then pay for it yourself is the opinion of many here already,

I hope that doesn't happen but we can't continue as we are, its killing our footy & the money is a wasted on renta-clubs. We need to get some equity in the game we've supported for so long.
Yeah I’ve herd similar things great news will be team in the nbl this time next year You have to give Larry kestleman credit the guy moves fast and is extremely well organised makes gill and co at the afl look like absolute amateurs still remember being at the last devils game I didn’t think we would ever be back so will be great for Tasmania!

ABC TV Back Roads Program - Queenstown. 2016 Series 1 Episode 7

Some video of the "hardmen" playing on the famous gravel oval in Queenstown, isolated western Tasmania. Grass wont survive playing AF, due to the heavy winter rain.
"You have to learn how to roll (ie never fall on your hands or knees, only biceps- my words)". Two games require 6 balls, then they are discarded- worn out!

There is also incredible beauty as the steam train goes through the rainforest (16 minutes 20 seconds - 18 mins. 15 secs.). The Tasmanian wilderness is a tourism magnet, & is booming.

(Click on Queenstown- the footy coverage is from 5 minutes 15 secs. - 7 mins. 50 secs.)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmania is certain to have nbl team shortly with a deal on the dec to be signed shortly,it will be interesting to see if this puts pressure on the afl to give tassie a team.They risk losing thousands of kids to basketball once this is up and running,with the business case to be handed to government in the coming days,it will be interesting to see some of the details once they release it to the public.

ABC TV Back Roads Program - Queenstown. 2016 Series 1 Episode 7

Some video of the "hardmen" playing on the famous gravel oval in Queenstown, isolated western Tasmania. Grass wont survive playing AF, due to the heavy winter rain.
"You have to learn how to roll (ie never fall on your hands or knees, only biceps- my words)". Two games require 6 balls, then they are discarded- worn out!

There is also incredible beauty as the steam train goes through the rainforest (16 minutes 20 seconds - 18 mins. 15 secs.). The Tasmanian wilderness is a tourism magnet, & is booming.

(Click on Queenstown- the footy coverage is from 5 minutes 15 secs. - 7 mins. 50 secs.)
I been going to Tassie since the late 1960's and have always wondered why it wasnt a more popular tourism destination as the natural beauty of the place is just stunning.Stayed at Queenstown a couple of times over the years and it is a very unique place and driving through those denuded bald mountains is surreal.

Now if they can afford a successful AFL team is another matter.
Just because 90,000 have an AFL memberships dosent mean they will all ditch their current AFL team for a Tassie one and as we have now seen starting an AFL team from scratch is no an easy matter and costs 10 of millions of dollars as per GWS and GC.

I been going to Tassie since the late 1960's and have always wondered why it wasnt a more popular tourism destination as the natural beauty of the place is just stunning.Stayed at Queenstown a couple of times over the years and it is a very unique place and driving through those denuded bald mountains is surreal.

Now if they can afford a successful AFL team is another matter.
Just because 90,000 have an AFL memberships dosent mean they will all ditch their current AFL team for a Tassie one and as we have now seen starting an AFL team from scratch is no an easy matter and costs 10 of millions of dollars as per GWS and GC.
Even if half of the 90K stick with their existing teams, it won't matter in the ling term - the next generation will all be Devils fans. And crowds will be high either way - you will have 15K Devils members at each game plus 5K+ Hawks/Pies/Tigers/Bombers, etc. Every game except v other expansion clubs will sell out.

The Tasmanian Taskforce Bid will almost certainly have a Business Plan that requires significant & permanent Tasmanian govt. funding for a Tasmanian 19th team (The AFL will probably want some assurances from the Tas. govt. that a minimum level of govt. funding will be permanent).

For Tasmanian political & economic efficiency reasons, the Tas. govt. must produce a plausible Business Case, independently vetted & supported, that precious taxpayer funds will be more than recovered by strong & increasing AFL match tourism nos. from the mainland- mainly from Victoria.

SMH S. Wright 15.12.19

Metropolitan-wide "Melbourne is driving national economic growth...with forecasts it will challenge Sydney (in future decades- my words) as the Australian economy's most important city...During 2018-2019, the Melbourne economy alone accounted for 40 per cent of Australia's total growth...Melbourne GDP lifted by 4 per cent. Sydney grew by 2.6 per cent".

This Melbourne booming GDP trend will be welcomed by the Tas. govt., Tas. Opposition ALP & the Bid Team- & probably the AFL.

The ABS most recent estimate is that Melbourne will be a megapolis of c. 9,000,000 in 2050 (it is now almost 5,200,000). There will be greatly increasing nos. of tourists from stressed out, heavily congested (& probably more polluted) Melbourne wanting a holiday in beautiful Tasmania- which solidifies & reinforces the Tas. govt. ongoing 19th AFL team investment.

As it is only c. a 1 hour, very cheap return flight from Melbourne (or overnight passenger & car ferry), many more Victorians will regard Tasmania as almost "Greater Southern Victoria"- & a very easy, great place for a holiday/footy trip.

EDIT:

SGS Economics Partner T. Rawnsley states it is "pretty plausible in the next 10-15 years Melbourne would become the largest economy in the country".

Last edited:
The Tasmanian Taskforce Bid will almost certainly have a Business Plan that requires significant & permanent Tasmanian govt. funding for a Tasmanian 19th team (The AFL will probably want some assurances from the Tas. govt. that a minimum level of govt. funding will be permanent).

For Tasmanian political & economic efficiency reasons, the Tas. govt. must produce a plausible Business Case, independently vetted & supported, that precious taxpayer funds will be more than recovered by strong & increasing AFL match tourism nos. from the mainland- mainly from Victoria.

SMH S. Wright 15.12.19

Metropolitan-wide "Melbourne is driving national economic growth...with forecasts it will challenge Sydney (in future decades- my words) as the Australian economy's most important city...During 2018-2019, the Melbourne economy alone accounted for 40 per cent of Australia's total growth...Melbourne GDP lifted by 4 per cent. Sydney grew by 2.6 per cent".

This Melbourne booming GDP trend will be welcomed by the Tas. govt., Tas. Opposition ALP & the Bid Team- & probably the AFL.

The ABS most recent estimate is that Melbourne will be a megapolis of c. 9,000,000 in 2050 (it is now almost 5,200,000). There will be greatly increasing nos. of tourists from stressed out, heavily congested ( & probably polluted) Melbourne wanting a holiday in beautiful Tasmania- which solidifies & reinforces the Tas. govt. 19th AFL team investment.

As it is only c. a 1 hour, very cheap return flight from Melbourne (or overnight passenger & car ferry), many more Victorians will almost regard Tasmania as "Greater Southern Victoria"- & am easy & great place for a holiday/footy trip.

Immigration/population growth of itself creates economic growth. Sydney & Melbourne get the vast bulk of these arrivals. Without this growth its said the Australian economy wouldn't be growing at all!!

Interestingly Tassie, Hobart in Particular is getting a population boost from people leaving the rat race & the increasing hot weather.

That's creating a problem with huge rises in house prices, rents & housing shortages.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the AFL will take much notice of the NBL push. Its bound up with the $200mil development proposal on Wilkinsons point. It Dovetails Mona just up the road/river.

It'll be up to the proposal coming from the Task force/Government & the AFL's footy politics.

SMH S. Wright 15.12.19

The ABS most recent estimate is that Melbourne will be a megapolis of c. 9,000,000 in 2050 (it is now almost 5,200,000). There will be greatly increasing nos. of tourists from stressed out, heavily congested (& probably more polluted) Melbourne wanting a holiday in beautiful Tasmania- which solidifies & reinforces the Tas. govt. ongoing 19th AFL team investment.

As it is only c. a 1 hour, very cheap return flight from Melbourne (or overnight passenger & car ferry), many more Victorians will regard Tasmania as almost "Greater Southern Victoria"- & a very easy, great place for a holiday/footy trip.

SGS Economics Partner T. Rawnsley states it is "pretty plausible" Melbourne's economy could overtake Sydney in 15 years.

They must make sure it doesnt rely on gov funding for too long,that is only bound to cause long term problems with people not supporting government funding.With the 2 major corporates from the mainland and 2 local corporates rumoured to be signed up to sponsor the team, we need to do our best to attract more sponsers and we will also get money out of memberships and media rights.

They must make sure it doesnt rely on gov funding for too long,that is only bound to cause long term problems with people not supporting government funding.With the 2 major corporates from the mainland and 2 local corporates rumoured to be signed up to sponsor the team, we need to do our best to attract more sponsers and we will also get money out of memberships and media rights.
The Vic Govt support F1, the payback does not flow into Govt pockets, the tennis ...

Remember WA has a history of $uoporting Aussie Rules & a justification for the new stadium /taxpayer dollars is tourism.
Both Tas & WA keep Supercar racing in their States with that approach.
AFL footy gets Fed taxpayer money, its not a problem per se.
Yeah spot on the old saying you need to spend money to make money like what happens with the Supercars and afl the money it costs the government to bring these events each year is massively returned with the extra visitors and dollars brought into the local economy the f1 in Melbourne is a great example of this !

The Government have always justified the FIFO spend on economic grounds.

Getting some equity with your own team they have much better grounds for supporting a team. How much support is the issue.

I guess the Taskforce will thrash that out.

Remember WA has a history of $uoporting Aussie Rules & a justification for the new stadium /taxpayer dollars is tourism.
Both Tas & WA keep Supercar racing in their States with that approach.
AFL footy gets Fed taxpayer money, its not a problem per se.

well it was justification for part of it, the rest was Subiaco needing a major rebuild/upgrade. (see also Adelaide Oval and Football Park)

well it was justification for part of it, the rest was Subiaco needing a major rebuild/upgrade. (see also Adelaide Oval and Football Park)

I guess the Subiaco site had a limited ability to be upgraded& Perth has grown greatly over the last 30 yrs.

The city needed a decent venue to cater for that growth, & attract other large events to the city. That's what governments all over the world try to do.

Both Adelaide & Perth have done well with their new facilities.

York Park needs a make over. We're stuck with Bellerive Oval where it is, difficult access etc. It'll be interesting to see how these grounds change if an AFL team is forthcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back