Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. SMH 27.3.19

I have just seen this SMH prediction that Melb. will overtake Sydney's population by 2026 (much sooner than I was aware). Melb. had net growth of 119,421 people in y/e 30.6.18. It now has c. 5,2000,000- so could be c. 6,000,000 in 2026.
The ABS, sadly for Melb., predicts 9,000,000 by 2050.

Because of such major growth occuring in Melb., it will help Tasmania's business case for a team.
It's Bid is relying on significant & permanent State govt. financial support- which can only be justified (economically & politically) by large nos. of footy tourists coming from Melb./Vic. for an AFL trip to Tasmania. These Melb. tourist hordes should provide a permanent net economic gain for Tasmania.

The bigger Melb. becomes, & more quickly, the larger the pool of stressed tourists wanting to escape the Melb. congested rat-race: many for an easy trip to stunningly beautiful Tasmania.

2. PM S. Morrison will bring forward $3.8 billion of infrastrucure spending- designed to provide a stimulus to the economy, which many are predicting might otherwise slide into a recession.

Will stadia upgrades also be included in such spending?
If so, the Tasmanian Bid may be assisted, since significant upgrades to Hobart & Launceston will be required (up to 30,000 capacity at both?).

Last edited:
The Age P. Ryan 5.1.20

Hawthorn never mentions the declining status of male GR AF in Tasmania- probably because it is too embarrassed at the GR & Draft AF disaster that has occured there, as it happily extracts c.$4,000,000 pa from the Tas. taxpayer.

For the first time in 50 years (excluding 1975 & 2004), HFC will have no Tas. player listed in 2020. HFC previously feasted on many good/great Tas. players, for its great benefit.

Ryan also states
"...momentum continues to build for the state to have a stand-alone team...there are expected to be calls in 2020 for a provisional licence to be granted".

On 3.12.19, T. Lane accused, in the Tas. govt Legislative Council, HFC of campaigning against Tas. having its own team. Tas. govt. pays HFC & NMFC $8.5 m. pa to play in Tas.
See post#1419 above for the link- then click on twitter 5.12.19 "Hawthorn's Shirtfront Response to Tim Lane"

Last edited:

The Age P. Ryan 5.1.20

Hawthorn never mentions the declining status of male GR AF in Tasmania- probably because it is too embarrassed at the GR & Draft AF disaster that has occured there, as it happily extracts c.$4,000,000 pa from the Tas. taxpayer.

For the first time in 50 years (excluding 1975 & 2004), HFC will have no Tas. player listed in 2020. HFC previously feasted on many good/great Tas. players, for its great benefit.

Ryan also states
"...momentum continues to build for the state to have a stand-alone team...there are expected to be calls in 2020 for a provisional licence to be granted".

On 3.12.19, T. Lane accused, in the Tas. govt Legislative Council, HFC of campaigning against a Tas. having its own team. Tas pays HFC & NMFC $8.5 m. pa to play in Tas.
See post#1419 above for the link- then click on twitter 5.12.19 "Hawthorn's Shirtfront Response to Tim Lane"

Speaks volumes for all the 'work' done in Tasmania by Hawthorn.

The 'work' done at the Tasmanian state Treasury that is.

The Age P. Ryan 5.1.20

Ryan also states

On 3.12.19, T. Lane accused, in the Tas. govt Legislative Council, HFC of campaigning against Tas. having its own team. Tas. govt. pays HFC & NMFC $8.5 m. pa to play in Tas.

If you want to go down the emotive "ripping off the taxpayer" argument then it should be pointed out that the Tasmanian govenment itself happily extracts 100s of millions pa from the mainland taxpayer.

If you want to go down the emotive "ripping off the taxpayer" argument then it should be pointed out that the Tasmanian govenment itself happily extracts 100s of millions pa from the mainland taxpayer.

The deal that the Hawks have with Tas has been defended by Govts of both colours, bit like the GP ... must be something in it?

The time has come for Tas to do its own thing !!

So South Australia shouldn't have 2 AFL clubs then? Certainly NT should never get one either then. Maybe WA should have 4 teams by your logic.

1. I have given my explanation (re the 3 AFL sources that the 9th game pw is worth between $54m. -$60m. per annum for the AFL; & why Tas. will join the AFL c. 2025) in my very detailed posts above- # 725, 874, 937, 1250, 1351 & 1372.

I believe these annual AFL benefits quoted include, also, indirect financial benefits received each year for the addition of GC & GWS.
Apart from the extra broadcast rights $ for the 9th game, other financial benefits are:-
. GC & GWS themselves attract direct private sponsorship $ (IIRC, c. $12m. pa, each)

. addition of very valuable, new AFL stadia on the GC & GWS funded by state govts.

. extensive, valuable extra free MSM AFL coverage in Qld. & NSW

. vast GR growth/extra AFL players drafted from NSW & Qld.; extra GR facilities paid for by local govts. etc.
(creation of GC & GWS have directly contributed to these- & would be VERY expensive for the AFL to emulate, if GC & GWS had not been created)

The quality of the recruitment goldmine has declined (but not the population, which is currently a record 540,000) because Tasmania does not have its own elite team (with the attendant tribalism etc.) & proper elite pathways. Tas. fans in Tasmania, similar to AF fans around Australia, only want to follow the elite competition.

Without its own elite team, AF in Tasmania could not defend itself against the depredations of the VFL & AFL.

For this reason, & others, A. Demetriou (in 2008, & again in 2019) & G. Mc Lachlan (several times, including recently) have both said (paraphrasing) that, when expansion occurs next, Tasmania will probably be the next team to join. Former Commission Chairman R. Oakley has also said in 2019 Tasmania, as a 19th team, should join the AFL.
I will again ask you: what do you know that they don't?
(When I put this same question to you previously in other Tas. threads, you did not respond to this question. Later, your pathetic answer to this question was that Demetriou & McLachlan were both publicly "lying" in their views that Tasmania would probably be the the next team to join, on expansion).

Tas. now produces far fewer champions & star players (a description not applicable to many current players drafted from Tasmania). Tas. is overrepresented in the AFL Hall OF Fame & AFL Team Of The Century.
On actual nos., much fewer Tas. players are being drafted in recent times.

Professional cricket thrives in Tasmania, & a NBL team will almost certainly start soon in Tas. Strong support for its own AL team.

How do you explain that it is only in Tas. that:-

. even though it is an heartland state, its Drafted player nos. recently have collapsed?

. male GR AF competition nos. are in significant decline?
And why is it the only state that has a GR AF long term decline in comp.nos., simultaneously with a long term boom in GR soccer & basketball comp. nos.?

. even though it is an heartland state, soccer & basketball regd. GR nos. are threatening GR AF (and even though Tasmania has, relatively, very few immigrants from soccer-playing nations)?

. raw attendance nos. at AFL matches are in significant decline?

Also
2. The Tas. 19th Team Bid case (to enter c. 2025) is, wisely, based on "It needs to add something to the AFL".
And demonstrating a sound business case that the Tas. team is financially sustainable. Bid team member E. Stewart has publicly expressed confidence in the Bid's financial soundness, good corporate support etc.

Tasmania is not arguing for any other AFL team to be removed, of for mergers.

3. I hope a decision is made soon on the Bid- & I hope Tasmanians don't get robbed again (similar to what happened to this sad Tasmanian case)

https://twitter.com/tasaflteam?lang=en

(go to the twitter on 12.1.20)

4. "Sitting on the precipice of history, it's a frightening time for Tasmanian footy".

B. Godfrey, Bid Team Chairman said

. "It will allow them to see and engage with their local heroes (my emphases) as demonstrated with the expansion teams, participation will rise".
The Tas. Bid is wisely using GWS to support its case- AF has had a participation boom in Sydney's WS (which formerly was barren for AF) & the ACT- & Draft nos. have grown strongly.

. the team colours will be the traditional "myrtle, primrose & magenta".

So basically, you want it to be true, therefore you'll claim it as fact.

Gotcha.

1. SMH 27.3.19

I have just seen this SMH prediction that Melb. will overtake Sydney's population by 2026 (much sooner than I was aware). Melb. had net growth of 119,421 people in y/e 30.6.18. It now has c. 5,2000,000- so could be c. 6,000,000 in 2026.
The ABS, sadly for Melb., predicts 9,000,000 by 2050.

Because of such major growth occuring in Melb., it will help Tasmania's business case for a team.
It's Bid is relying on significant & permanent State govt. financial support- which can only be justified (economically & politically) by large nos. of footy tourists coming from Melb./Vic. for an AFL trip to Tasmania. These Melb. tourist hordes should provide a permanent net economic gain for Tasmania.

The bigger Melb. becomes, & more quickly, the larger the pool of stressed tourists wanting to escape the Melb. congested rat-race: many for an easy trip to stunningly beautiful Tasmania.

I am in awe.

With grasping of that quality, you must have gathered a huge pile of straws by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tas. bid team has indicated the team will play in the traditional state jumper- one of the most iconic & attractive of the traditional AF jumpers. It will be great to see its return.
It has primrose yellow (for the map), myrtle green (mid green, for the jumper) & magenta (a reddish purple for the"T", & on the trims).

Some good, close-up images of the Tas. jumper back & front. The first photo is closest to the original- but without a no. on the front, or as many logos.

Tas. had 2 wins against Victorian state teams (1960, without Baldock being selected- injury; & 1990), & was competitive in several other games. Also defeated WA & SA state teams c. 4 times.

Tasmanian teams also formerly played against VFL teams in pre-season practice matches. Either as a Tas. state team; or sometimes a Tas. Premiership team alone (eg 1972 Sandy Bay played St Kilda, 1971 Grand Finalist).

Due to the decline in Tas. AF, there would be thrashings now.

Last edited:
The Tas. bid team has indicated the team will play in the traditional state jumper- one of the most iconic & attractive of the traditional AF jumpers. It will be great to see its return.
It has primrose yellow (for the map), myrtle green (mid green, for the jumper) & magenta (a reddish purple for the"T", & on the trims).

Some good, close-up images of the Tas. jumper back & front. The first photo is closest to the original- but without a no. on the front, or as many logos.

Tas. had 2 wins against Victorian state teams (1960, without Baldock being selected- injury; & 1990), & was competitive in several other games. Also defeated WA & SA state teams c. 4 times.

Tasmanian teams also once played against VFL teams in pre-season practice matches. Either as a Tas. state team; or sometimes a Tas. Premiership team alone (eg 1972 Sandy Bay played St Kilda, 1971 Grand Finalist).

Due to the decline in Tas. AF, there would be thrashings now.

I like the idea of a proposed Tassie AFL team wearing a predominantly Green jumper.

IMHO though, I dont agree with any team wearing old state jumpers.

I think they should be either worn by legitimate state teams vs other state teams, or left to posterity if no more state games are played.

Going by that logic wa and sa fans would've stuck with the wafl and sanfl - they didn't, they jumped on board wc and Ade and later Freo. Port already had support.

Not the same logic at all.
I’m not saying the tassie fans will stick with their state league clubs but it’s possible they will mostly stay with their AFL clubs.
A national Comp isn’t new like it was back then anyway.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m not saying the tassie fans will stick with their state league clubs but it’s possible they will mostly stay with their AFL clubs.

Then explain how Tas fans will differ.

Then explain how Tas fans will differ.

Differ from what?

The WA and SA fans came in at the beginning of Nationalising the competition and so didn’t already have a rusted on club they followed in the national comp, for the most part.

The national comp has been going on long enough now the fans everywhere have their clubs in it. Which is why both the Giants and Suns were a generational plan as fans based in those cities already had clubs and the majority didn’t jump onto their new local club. We would be selling out Giants stadium every week if they did.

Will that happen to Tassie? It’s a possibility, We will find out either way soon enough I’m sure.

Last edited:

Flawed logic coming from someone that doesn’t have a great understanding of the history of the sport no offence the vfl/afl was not new been around for decades when west coast Adelaide came in a lot of people in those states already followed one of the traditional vfl clubs as well as a local wafl or sanfl club its funny when I make a comment like you just have on one of the gws expansion threads I get labeled a troll or a broken record does that title fit for you as well I mean you have commented about support thing numerous times

Flawed logic coming from someone that doesn’t have a great understanding of the history of the sport no offence the vfl/afl was not new been around for decades when west coast Adelaide came in a lot of people in those states already followed one of the traditional vfl clubs as well as a local wafl or sanfl club its funny when I make a comment like you just have on one of the gws expansion threads I get labeled a troll or a broken record does that title fit for you as well I mean you have commented about support thing numerous times

Get off the high horse with that entitled garbage.

How was what I’m saying a troll or even having a go at Tassie?

I’ve state numerous times that the support for the expansion clubs would take time and would be generational, I think that’s probably what will end up being for the Tassie side as well because people already have clubs for the national comp.

Unlike when the Crows or Eagles came in and it was just state based competitions.

Hell even Freo took time to be where they are now popularity wise.

We've had this discussion a few times over the journey.;)

People will buy memberships, at least because its the cheapest way to see the footy.

I know people with NM & Hawk memberships here who bought them for that reason.

So I'd expect footy people to buy memberships for that reason alone. Even if their still rusted onto their old VFL/AFL clubs. People can walk & chew gum!

Geez, people might even get on board with a local AFL club of their own. You never know. ;)

I doubt you have any evidence for this comment- if you do, please produce it here.

Also, for those very few Tasmanians who might decide to only follow their current AFL club, it is virtually certain their kids will follow their own Tasmanian club.
I assume you accept the well known, & very universally accepted, principles of "footy tribalism"- & the need for many to be part of a self-affirming group.

My understanding is that there have been many opinion polls in Tasmania, showing a majority there wanted their own team in the VFL or AFL- & would be a fan of this new Tasmanian club.

Which is why both the Giants and Suns were a generational plan as fans[approx. how many] based in those cities already had clubs and the majority didn’t jump onto their new local club. We would be selling out Giants stadium every week if they did
Can you produce evidence of this- or is it only anecdotal/intuitive?

On the thread on a possible 3rd Sydney team, you were a broken record because you just kept repeating the same comment continuously that:-

. GWS should have had large crowds & independent financial success instantly.
. GWS is a long term expensive imposition on the AFL.
. Sydney's WS & ACT significant GR AF growth, since GWS was created in 2012, wasn't sufficiently important to justify its inclusion over Tasmania.

I suggested these unreasonable arguments could (unfairly) be used against a Tas. team- either before, or after after, it was created, to denigrate it. Be careful!

The Bid team will be using GWS promotion of significant GR growth in barren WS- as evidence of the huge benefits for AF if an area has its own AFL team.
And Tas. will enjoy similar significant GR & elite AF growth if it has its own AFL team!

Tasmania also deserves its own AFL team for religious reasons.

Adams later said he felt compelled to depart Melb. permanently, because he didn't believe in, or could abide by, this religion.
I hope we don't see Tasmanian religious refugees.

Last edited:
I doubt you have any evidence for this comment- if you do, please produce it here.

As I said it’s entirely POSSIBLE that the fans in Tassie would stay loyal to the national clubs they already have, I know it’s happened up here as have many mates who stuck solid with their original clubs down south.

Also, for those Tasmanians who might decide to only follow their current AFL club, it is virtually certain their kids will follow their own Tasmanian club.
I assume you accept the well known, & very universally accepted, principles , of "footy tribalism"- & the need for many to be part of a self-affirming group.

My understanding is that there have been many opinion polls in Tasmania, showing a majority there wanted their own team in the VFL or AFL- & would be a fan of this new Tasmanian club.

I’m sure there has been and it’s entirely possible they will. It’s also entirely possible that they stick solid with their current clubs and it’s a generational plan like other expansion clubs.

Can you produce evidence of this- or is it only anecdotal/intuitive?

Only that I know plenty of people who stuck loyal with their original clubs instead of jumping on The Giants, as such we have the AFLs generational plan.

You seem to think I don’t want a Tassie side. Nowhere have I said that, as I do and think it’ll happen soon. Just pointing out that it may not be a case of everyone jumping on board straight away and instead building a fan base for the club instead.

Imagine a train line between Hobart and Launceston. Wouldn’t that be fantastic. The economic feasibility and journey times would be a different matter. Games could be rotated between Bellerive and York Park.

Alternatively a purpose built stadium in Turnbridge, Ross or York Plains (ie roughly half way)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back