Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is precisely an appeal to sentiment.

I do support a Tasmania team - it needs to be guaranteed or quasi guaranteed though

And I think the whining directed at the AFL is way off the mark
Why do you support a Tasmanian team?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How about for once, the AFL takes the first step. Or how about I reverse this. If the AFL wanted goodwill here for a day like this, then perhaps they should have treated this state with a lot more respect than they have.
The AFL is doing just fine without Tasmania's goodwill, mostly thanks to Queensland.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Going to a 19th team is a big step, it's not the sort of decision the AFL will take lightly. In fact, I doubt it will happen, but there was a small window there for Tassie to put its best foot forward, and it didn't step up.
Now a Northern state which already is favoured by the AFL, will continue to be favoured over Tassie.
If there was no real good reason previously to look favourably upon Tassie, there's even less good reason now.
I'm not sure why any one would see it any other way.

You really think so?

If so, & the AFL was really that petty & unprofessional then it wouldn't matter what we did or didn't do.

So the Premier showed some guts & told them to FK off. We had nothing to lose.

If he said yes, the AFL would walk all over us again, for no gain, again. The Premier would have had to go against his advice & thus lose huge credibility with the electorate.

Just remember, it was the AFL who announced the games in Hobart BEFORE the Premier had decided whether to allow the boarder to be open or not. IF he'd said yes, it would have looked like he had been bent over by the AFL.

Politically I don't think he had any option but to say no. Whether the advice was to open or not, he couldn't allow it to look like the AFL could dominate him.

The AFLs arrogance was there for all to see. Stupid.

I think he acted on medical advice anyway, but we'll never know.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its actually based on a business case. But don't let that upset your train of thought. ;)

Its funny really. The AFL are the self appointed 'the keepers of the game' when it comes to the old VFL teams, but not, it seems, to anyone else.
Little ray of sunshine, aren't you? Is this a tacit admission from you that Tasmania has nothing to offer in financial and commercial terms?

I'm not as harsh on Tasmania as that. I think there is a financial argument to make, and it would be heavily boosted by a state government that demonstrates it is prepared to back AFL games even in trying circumstances. That's the image they could have projected, of a government willing to work with the AFL and commit to financial support of a team for the long haul. An opportunity was missed there.

But by all means, go follow the NBL instead if you're so cynical and bitter.
What you mean we should have demonstrated our support of interstate afl teams I’m pretty sure the 90,000 paid up afl club members in Tasmania does thatand helped the Afl in a time of need when they have done absolutely nothing to help Tasmanian football

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Going to a 19th team is a big step, it's not the sort of decision the AFL will take lightly. In fact, I doubt it will happen, but there was a small window there for Tassie to put its best foot forward, and it didn't step up.
Now a Northern state which already is favoured by the AFL, will continue to be favoured over Tassie.
If there was no real good reason previously to look favourably upon Tassie, there's even less good reason now.
I'm not sure why any one would see it any other way.
An absolute garbage post from someone that is obviously very ill informed on the current situation in Tasmania and the football situation over the last couple decades down here

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I somehow dont think they are.
The AFL is doing just fine without Tasmania's goodwill, mostly thanks to Queensland.
im sure if the afl had spent a couple hundred million in Tasmania over the last decade like they have in Queensland we would have been more then happy to help them as well I notice you don’t mention this in any posts though trying to compare the two situations is ridiculous . You’re starting to become a broken record when it comes to commenting on Tasmanian threads almost troll like 👎

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's almost like the moronic insistence of some Tasmanian football advocates to obsess over the investments in the far more populous expansion states and characterise it as zero-sum is bound to attract advocates for those states into threads like this :drunk:
So you think the afl have done a good job since they have taken over running Tasmanian football 7 years ago ? Do You think the afl have made a fair financial contribution to Tasmanian football when compared to other states? And do you think the Tasmanian government or Tasmanian people owed it to the Afl to help them out ?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well this seems a massive jump from the comment I just responded to but I'll answer your questions

So you think the afl have done a good job since they have taken over running Tasmanian football 7 years ago ?

Maybe not for the most part, but I think trying to park all the blame on the AFL is ridiculous.

Do You think the afl have made a fair financial contribution to Tasmanian football when compared to other states?

I think the comparison between Tasmania and the expansion states is a silly one.

And do you think the Tasmanian government or Tasmanian people owed it to the Afl to help them out ?

They don't but when you are desperate for a club, and the benefits of having a Tasmanian club overwhelmingly flow to Tasmania (not the AFL competition), it is fair to say you haven't done yourself any favours.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well this seems a massive jump from the comment I just responded to but I'll answer your questions

Maybe not for the most part, but I think trying to park all the blame on the AFL is ridiculous.

I think the comparison between Tasmania and the expansion states is a silly one.

They don't but when you are desperate for a club, and the benefits of having a Tasmanian club overwhelmingly flow to Tasmania (not the AFL competition), it is fair to say you haven't done yourself any favours.

The AFL today announced the gutting of more jobs, development & admin from Tasmania, back to Melbourne.

The Tasmanian Sports Minister stated she hadn't been told so the Government is not happy.

I note the NEAFL is effectively defunct. GWS, Swans, Lions & GC will play in some comp to replace the VFL. So much for a Tassie VFL team anyway. It again just shows what BS comes out of Gil's gob.

So once again the AFL becomes only interested in HQ wages & Vic football & the economic benefits for Victoria.

Hopefully the Tas Gov will reduce payments to Hawks & Norf next year in line with the already paultry investment in football ripped away by the retreating VFL.

Ooops I meant AFL. Maybe:huh:

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Type 'The Mercury'.

Just a link would have done.

TASMANIA’S talent pathway will be run out of Melbourne’s AFL House with the abolishment of the state’s talent pathway manager – a move that has brought the ire of the State Government.
It is one of several Tasmanian roles that have been changed or lost following the AFL’s nationwide restructure partly announced on Monday.

The position was previously held by Craig Notman, who was in the job for one year following the reintroduction of a Devils full-time program to the under-18s NAB League.

It is understood this position will be replaced by a combined talent manager/Devils coaching role.

Notman and current Devils coach Cameron Joyce – who was only appointed this year but didn’t get to coach a game due to the shutdown – have both been asked to apply for the one role.

The position would be directly answerable to Melbourne, and not incoming Head of AFL Tasmania, Damian Gill, who starts in the new role on November 1.

Last year Notman as the previous talent manager reported to both AFL House and outgoing AFL Tasmania chief executive Trisha Squires.

Tasmanian Sport and Recreation Minister Jane Howlett said the Government, which contributes about $500,000 a year to AFL Tasmania, was kept in the dark on the changes to the talent pathway structure and was not impressed.

“The Government was not consulted about this important change,” Howlett said.

“I will seek more information from the AFL about the impact of this decision on Tasmanian football and our emerging talent.

“It would be unacceptable if this has any detrimental impact on Tasmanian football and its emerging young male and female talent.”

There is also uncertainty about the future of the TSL general manager’s position, previously held by Carl Saunder.

AFL Tasmania’s community football manager’s role, held by former Tasmanian cricketer and Cricket Tasmania cricket operations manager Andrew Dykes, is also understood to have been made redundant.

Tasmania’s three regional talent managers, Mathew Armstrong (south), Nathan Warren (north) and Jamie Hayward (north-west) have all retained their positions.

Across Australia, 20 per cent of roles within the AFL have been affected.

All state chief executive officer positions have been replaced with state “Heads” focusing more on community football, growth in participation and development of facilities.

Squires will be relocating north to become Head of AFL Queensland as part of the restructure.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
If the government wants to organise football then it should have done so. It worked for WA.
I recon it will happen soon going buy the Tasmanian governments comments in the media since it seems there getting more annoyed buy the day with the afl apparently they weren’t even told prior to the announcement buy the afl about the change in structure down here that’s two ceo,s in 4 years promoted interstate talk about instability things are going from bad to worse under there leadership!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back