Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
theres plenty of events, sports, shows, galleries etc to do. we arent consistently rated in the top few cities in the world for nothing.

i know that theres some great stuff around adelaide, but i doubt everyone is going to the barossa every other weekend.

So they have the same things, just less of them. It is a smaller city, but which has all the usual amenities.

I'd be up the Barossa a fair bit :). That & the Coonawarra have pretty well the best reds. ;)

surely adelaide or perth could sustain another team. freo is self sustaining afaik, and the only reason port gets into trouble is because they were taking on an existing fanbase with people already loving/hating them.

Western Australia I can see having another team in the distant future that could steal members from the other two WA teams who are still on the waiting lists from game-access. In fact it would be pretty easy to call them "Perth" given the lack of a team called that.

But, I can't see Adelade having another team in the distant future given how poorly Port Adelaide were 10 years ago, maybe if the AFL Landscape in SA was the same as WA, you might consider a 3rd team but at the same time, where would the 3rd SA club be located and be called?

Would it Norwood or would it be an Cartel team similar to the idea before Port Adelaide entered the league?

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Western Australia I can see having another team in the distant future that could steal members from the other two WA teams who are still on the waiting lists from game-access. In fact it would be pretty easy to call them "Perth" given the lack of a team called that.

But, I can't see Adelade having another team in the distant future given how poorly Port Adelaide were 10 years ago, maybe if the AFL Landscape in SA was the same as WA, you might consider a 3rd team but at the same time, where would the 3rd SA club be located and be called?

Would it Norwood or would it be an Cartel team similar to the idea before Port Adelaide entered the league?

WA3 & Tas1. ;)

Perth Sandgropers. Tassie Wombats. Maybe :)

WA3 & Tas1. ;)

Perth Sandgropers. Tassie Wombats. Maybe :)

I think Tasmania will 99% be the 19th team no matter what happens.

The 20th Team will be either a 3rd WA Team based in Perth, or will be a Canberra-based Team IMO

Then we can have a league of 50% VIC Teams and 50% Interstate Teams which is heaps fairer then it is now.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Team 19: Hobart
Team 20: Launceston

Split the comp into two divisions of 10 teams each. Full promotion and relegation (bottom 4 Div 1 switch with Top 4 Div 2).

Team 21: WA3
Team 22: SA3

Divisions now 11 teams each, same 4+4 relegation system. Could Switch Launceston with WA3 if you wanted to spread out the new tassie teams.

Team 23: Auckland (or Cairns)
Team 24: Canberra

Divisions now 12 teams each. Div 1 plays Top 5 finals series, Div 2 plays Top 4 finals series. We now have the 22 game season that everyone craves and it's a full H+A season where everyone plays 11 games at home, 11 games away.

Would need to build a new boutique stadium in Melbourne, could be done at the junction, princess park, E-gate or the western oval

Split the comp into two divisions of 10 teams each. Full promotion and relegation (bottom 4 Div 1 switch with Top 4 Div 2).

Divisions now 11 teams each, same 4+4 relegation system. Could Switch Launceston with WA3 if you wanted to spread out the new tassie teams.

Divisions now 12 teams each. Div 1 plays Top 5 finals series, Div 2 plays Top 4 finals series. We now have the 22 game season that everyone craves and it's a full H+A season where everyone plays 11 games at home, 11 games away.

Would need to build a new boutique stadium in Melbourne, could be done at the junction, princess park, E-gate or the western oval

The only thing I worry though is where would the 3rd SA be located or be called as I don't think South Australia can handle a 3rd team geographically yet?

Would it be someone like Norwood entering or the formation of a Cartel Team for example instead?

Maybe as well instead of relegation its just 10-12 teams in 2 divisions and play it like the NFL/NBA do with two conferences for example and top 4-5 teams play in the finals similar to how the Super Bowl works in America.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Tas1 only. Population & finances permit one team, just.

I also think 20 teams would be enough for the fore seeable future IMO

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Independent Review of the AFL: M.Warner The Australian 6.1.21

Warner wrote that the Review will need to consider "...the shamefully neglected grassroots game".

(Scroll to post# 725)

This GR emphasis will, obviously, assist Tasmania's case for inclusion into the AFL.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Melbourne is about 550k per team. You would expect this figure to keep increasing in short order though, as Melbourne had the highest growth rate of any city in Australia before Covid. Even taking out international migration, Melbourne was a net gainer from internal migration whereas Sydney was losing people to it.

As has been discussed in this thread before, Geelong has plenty of supporters living in Melbourne also.

In Adelaide? A million things. Perth 3 or Canberra would be better options for the AFL.
Yes but 80% of Melbourne's growth is from China and India - so not necessarily growing the AFL pie. Recent immigrants (Africans aside) have not taken to footy like the Greeks, Italians and Croatians do in the 1960s & 70s.
Tasmania is very anglo which explains why they have the highest interest in AFL per capita.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
call them "Perth" given the lack of a team called that

Dont appear to have any knowledge of WA footy so:

The Perth Football Club, nicknamed the Demons, is an Australian rules football club based in Lathlain, Western Australia, currently playing in the West Australian Football League (WAFL).

Representing the south-east area of the Perth metropolitan region, the club currently trains and plays its home games at Lathlain Park *

The club was founded in 1899 ..... & won its first premiership in 1907.

* FYI Lathlain is the site of the Eagles newly built facility.

Dont appear to have any knowledge of WA footy so:

The Perth Football Club, nicknamed the Demons, is an Australian rules football club based in Lathlain, Western Australia, currently playing in the West Australian Football League (WAFL).

Representing the south-east area of the Perth metropolitan region, the club currently trains and plays its home games at Lathlain Park *

The club was founded in 1899 ..... & won its first premiership in 1907.

* FYI Lathlain is the site of the Eagles newly built facility.

Sorry I meant to say in the AFL not from other leagues like WAFL.

I also didn't know where to place the 3rd WA either so I went for the lazy option and called them Perth. Maybe Bunbary, Joondalup, Geraldton?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

I also didn't know where to place the 3rd WA either so I went for the lazy option and called them Perth. Maybe Bunbary, Joondalup, Geraldton?

Ask any West Australian who Perth is in footy terms, they know. These are the people that the dreamers believe are going to support, even join this club.

Why does it need a place name, because the others have ? Those dreary suburban names from the 1800s when location was relevant.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
North Melbourne and Hawthorn are scheduled to host four “home” matches each in Tasmania this season but the long-standing agreements are set to expire next year.

“We will not finalise the arrangements for the next contract with Hawthorn or North Melbourne until we have clarity from the AFL in terms of our own licence,” Premier Peter Gutwein said on Tuesday.

Things are getting real for North and Hawthorn - Tassie govt is holding them ransom.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory

Bunbury only has about 75,000 people, Geraldton even less with about 37,000.
One problem beyond that is....go to either of those two towns and you'll get a higher per person rate of people wearing Eagles gear than anywhere in Perth, heck you see people literally paint their entire cars in eagles logo's and colours. It can't be overstated just how much of a grip the Eagles have on the regional population of WA.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
North Melbourne and Hawthorn are scheduled to host four “home” matches each in Tasmania this season but the long-standing agreements are set to expire next year.

“We will not finalise the arrangements for the next contract with Hawthorn or North Melbourne until we have clarity from the AFL in terms of our own licence,” Premier Peter Gutwein said on Tuesday.

Things are getting real for North and Hawthorn - Tassie govt is holding them ransom.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Tassie business case is "Please give us $200m in additional funding over and above the handouts all cluns get, like you did for GWS and GCS".

Because that has really paid dividends.

First 5 picks in the draft and exclusive access to all out of contract players with an extra $2m salary cap and $2m soft cap too no doubt.
What a load of rubbish I suggest you read the business case the funding we would require is mid level less then some vic clubs and no where near what gws and the suns receive

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

So we should get Clarity in the next six months. Reckon clarity might be a provisional licence with no timeframe. Can’t see the committing to a date unfortunately.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I meant more generally in the level of bullshit.

How so?

Giants and Suns business cases were always generational. Said so on multiple occasions.

AFL went in with their eyes open on it.

Supposedly the Tassie deal is they won’t require extra above the tv distribution. Why wouldn’t it be taken at that? Are the guys running the Tassie bid known to be full of it?

Reckon clarity might be a provisional licence with no timeframe. Can’t see the committing to a date unfortunately.

I think the only way the AFL will allow a Tasmania team in their league would be if they create a suitable 20th team somewhere else in Australia
(WA3, ACT, NT) cause they won't want a league with 19 teams in it due to increased broadcasting & financial initiatives with having 20 clubs.

The only other alternative would be North Melbourne relocates to Tassie and become the Tasmania Kangaroos and then you could keep the 18 team model but the melts from the North Melbourne supporters would be massive on this forum if that ever took place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back