Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I fully support a team in Tasmania, but I think that 19 teams in the league is a stretch and further dilution of playing and coaching resources.
How does that account for multiple state league players getting drafted this year and several others being unlucky to miss out due to list size reductions? How does it account for the players and coaches who have recently lost their jobs due to list size reductions and soft cap cuts? Or the higher participation rate in Queensland and NSW over the past decade?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
How does that account for multiple state league players getting drafted this year and several others being unlucky to miss out due to list size reductions? How does it account for the players and coaches who have recently lost their jobs due to list size reductions and soft cap cuts? Or the higher participation rate in Queensland and NSW over the past decade?
A lot of players drafted are often not good enough, and it shows up in time. I just think dilution of the product once list sizes are back to normal in a few years (which they likely will be by the time a Tassie team as a 19th licence got added) is overall a poorer spectacle.

It's a simple numbers game, 19 teams vs 18 teams, there's only so much top end talent to go around.

I'm not against a Tassie licence, the opposite, get it done. I just don't want it to be a 19th team as opposed to an 18th licence based on an adjustment. I know that adjustment isn't likely, but it doesn't change my view that all things considered I think it would be better for the comp.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A lot of players drafted are often not good enough, and it shows up in time. I just think dilution of the product once list sizes are back to normal in a few years (which they likely will be by the time a Tassie team as a 19th licence got added) is overall a poorer spectacle.
That's a big assumption. What if clubs find they do just fine with a smaller list and the AFL keeps the number of players where it is? Has the product lost quality in the time since Gold Coast and GWS joined? How do you quantify that as a measure, because plenty of people will have opinions either way?

It's a simple numbers game, 19 teams vs 18 teams, there's only so much top end talent to go around.
What makes you so sure there isn't enough talent at present?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I fully support a team in Tasmania, but I think that 19 teams in the league is a stretch and further dilution of playing and coaching resources.
We already diluted the talent by so many expansions. In itself it is not a big enough negative compared to the wonderful positive of finally have a true club from Tasmania represented in this league. Also the 19th team is not as big an issue for fixturing now they tend to program a lot more Monday games. At the moment we have 18 clubs times 2 having byes across 24 weekends/rounds. So 36 byes across 24 weeks. 38 byes across 24 weeks is not really a major problem given we have 36 already.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
We already diluted the talent by so many expansions. In itself it is not a big enough negative compared to the wonderful positive of finally have a true club from Tasmania represented in this league. Also the 19th team is not as big an issue for fixturing now they tend to program a lot more Monday games. At the moment we have 18 clubs times 2 having byes across 24 weekends/rounds. So 36 byes across 24 weeks. 38 byes across 24 weeks is not really a major problem given we have 36 already.

Really? The Nations population has grown. Despite the investment in elite player development, when have we ever had enough quality players?

Never, because people always moan about it & expect everyone who pulls on a boot to be a champion. Its never happened in the past & it never will in the future.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Go to 16 a side, less congestion, less players on a list (-4 per club), less money spent of player salaries and those 70 odd players can be split into the two new clubs. That being said i would prefer a victorian club relocated to stay at 18 as once you get too many clubs it means more teams stuck in the wilderness at the bottom of the ladder for longer.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone hear Kennett on local Tasmanian radio this morning? Haven't heard a bloke yell so much. He was having a go at the author of the last report in to Tas having a team as having a conflict of interest as he has interests in tourism business here ohhh the irony.

Does Kennett have any conflict of interest when giving his opinion - he does not want a team here as this would stop Tas from funding Hawthorn.

Nobody takes Kennett seriously on anything. He’s just a dial-a-quote. Best ignored.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Go to 16 a side, less congestion, less players on a list (-4 per club), less money spent of player salaries and those 70 odd players can be split into the two new clubs. That being said i would prefer a victorian club relocated to stay at 18 as once you get too many clubs it means more teams stuck in the wilderness at the bottom of the ladder for longer.
Agree 100% about 16 a side and it would save at least $20 million PA but I fear the AFL is too stupid/pigheaded to do it anytime soon.I also think 19 clubs is a foolish idea!

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Tasmanian Bombers sounds good to me. Not sure how Tasmania feels about that.

The Tassie Hawks?

Two things here:

1. Kennett knows the Tasmania days are over with the current agreement. The Tas government will have other priorities with a weakened fiscal position post COVID and a deal like this to support tourism looks more like a luxury every day. Attendances have been decreasing year on year, so the locals are voting with their wallets too.

2. If Kennett really tried to lead a relocation of the team, the members would have him out on his ear very quickly.

Two things here:

1. Kennett knows the Tasmania days are over with the current agreement. The Tas government will have other priorities with a weakened fiscal position post COVID and a deal like this to support tourism looks more like a luxury every day. Attendances have been decreasing year on year, so the locals are voting with their wallets too.

2. If Kennett really tried to lead a relocation of the team, the members would have him out on his ear very quickly.

Pure theatrics from Kennett, he does not give a rats about Tas.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Still think a 24 team, 2 division comp is the way to go.

Proper AFL reserves, each list would need to be about 60 players. Stack the teams full of under 25yos and pay them $80k each. Bottom 4 (Div 1) relegation, Top 4 (Div 2) promotion system.

Div 1 plays a top 5 finals series over 4 weeks, Div 2 plays a top 4 finals series over 3 weeks. Gives both divisions a proper Saturday grand final in clean air. Div 2 can be played at the home of the highest team, Div 1 stays at the MCG for tradition.

6 new teams, pick from:
*Hobart
*Launceston
*Canberra
*NQLD
*Auckland
*SA3
*WA3
*NT/Darwin

Melbourne needs a smaller "boutique" stadium for Bulldogs/North/Saints. E-gate would have been perfect. Hawthorn/Carlton/Essendon to move all home games to Docklands. Leaves the MCG to the 3 true/historic tenants, Melbourne, Richmond and Collingwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back