Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to 16 a side, less congestion, less players on a list (-4 per club), less money spent of player salaries and those 70 odd players can be split into the two new clubs. That being said i would prefer a victorian club relocated to stay at 18 as once you get too many clubs it means more teams stuck in the wilderness at the bottom of the ladder for longer.

Clubs would cut their good players, no, only the duds.
There is a cute idea that the new clubs would get a priority pick of the duds.
16 a side :thumbsu:

It looks it will be a long time before we get a team if you look at the response from the AFL today.It is obvious the AFL have little interest in a Tassie team and it will probably take a change of ceo before it is ever considered.

It looks it will be a long time before we get a team if you look at the response from the AFL today.It is obvious the AFL have little interest in a Tassie team and it will probably take a change of ceo before it is ever considered.
We should go all in on an A League team. The 8 million dollars we spend on Hawthorn and North would go a long way.

We should go all in on an A League team. The 8 million dollars we spend on Hawthorn and North would go a long way.

I'm sure the 23 interstate visitors that an A League game would attract would go a long way to recouping that money.

They'd be better off funding an NRL club if they want to go down the spite route.

So....was it all a bluff by the premier? Will they have the balls to withdraw all funding to Hawthorn and North?

I hope he goes through with it.

So....was it all a bluff by the premier? Will they have the balls to withdraw all funding to Hawthorn and North?

It would be great to see him stick to his word but it would be a very unpopular decision in Tassie so it is very unlikely to happen unfortunately.

I'm sure the 23 interstate visitors that an A League game would attract would go a long way to recouping that money.

They'd be better off funding an NRL club if they want to go down the spite route.

They dont have to spend it anywhere is more the point.
I can see Tas working with Kennett to stick it up the AFL/Gil in a rejigged deal with the Hawks.

They dont have to spend it anywhere is more the point.
I can see Tas working with Kennett to stick it up the AFL/Gil in a rejigged deal with the Hawks.
It looks like the Saints are looking into playing games here so the Hawks may get the boot.

He has to now otherwise nothing will ever change with the afl cancel both deals take back the running of all Tasmanian football locally fund it ourselves that way they have absolutely nothing over us anymore

It would be great to see him stick to his word but it would be a very unpopular decision in Tassie so it is very unlikely to happen unfortunately.
Don’t know about unpopular people are not overly happy about giving 8 million in tax payers money to interstate clubs anymore

It looks like the Saints are looking into playing games here so the Hawks may get the boot.

North or the Saints would be preferred AFL options. Tas has the money, they have the whip hand If they use it. Having the AFL tell them what to do with their taxpayer money cant be an option.

Looks like the AFL have now committed to a year long review. To be completed just after the 2022 fixture will come out. Funny that.

It's like something out of Yes Minister.
Yet they have had our business case for a year and now need another year for their own review,just another delay tactic because they don't want tell Tassie they don't want a team here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

36-people-on-a-field victorian bushleague will be irrelevant in a few decades anyway. Go the Jack Jumpers :)

r753792_1296x1296_1-1.jpg

36-people-on-a-field victorian bushleague will be irrelevant in a few decades anyway. Go the Jack Jumpers :)

r753792_1296x1296_1-1.jpg

Gutwein has thrown money at the Jackjumpers (I'm relatively happy as basketball tragic and also want investment in grassroots hoops) almost like he is sticking his finger up at Gil.

Do not believe we (Tasmanian taxpayers) should continue to fund North and the Hawks.

Good luck to the premier who stops AFL footy being played in Tasmania.

Ridiculous post - would North be here besides the money? It is not the Premier stopping AFL footy being played here it is the AFL

He will be considered a legend down here. Most people are backing him to be strong on this.

Yep vast majority do not see the sense of paying millions of $s to an interstate footy team to play here and would agree it is time to actually pull the pin on subsidising the AFL.

Yep vast majority do not see the sense of paying millions of $s to an interstate footy team to play here and would agree it is time to actually pull the pin on subsidising the AFL.
Subsiding your tourism industry. That's why you do it.

If he pulled the pin on North and the Hawks at the end of this year, it's a decision of his government, not the AFL. And when tourism operators start getting shirty as their income declines, they would be best to remember that.

Our current premier is probably the most popular in our history do you think his worried about loosing a couple votes from north and hawthorn supporters

Next minute

‘But I’m tots fine with the Tasmanian government throwing a lifeline to my very little, broke football club’

Double standard much?

Just hope they don’t bail again (like 2006) and go back to the afl for another guarantee (like 2008) :)

Well it definitely looks like it could be the end of Hawthorn and North in Tasmania with the Premier confirming this afternoon no contracts will be signed until we have a date set on Tassie entering the league.This may not be known for at least a year but the contracts need to be signed very soon,I think not resigning these contracts is the best thing Tasmania can do.

Next minute

‘But I’m tots fine with the Tasmanian government throwing a lifeline to my very little, broke football club’

Double standard much?

Just hope they don’t bail again (like 2006) and go back to the afl for another guarantee (like 2008) :)
Na mate I will leave the begging for Jeff Kennett I have no interest in st kilda selling any games we have finally got a decent team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back