Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It goe

In a way yes the afl have always looked at Tasmania as a market they will always have what did fat Andy say Tasmanian’s already play football

Just focusing on the afl comp and not factoring in ethics etc, the afl was right to go with Gold Coast and gws. Footy has taken great strides since, especially in qld.

But as I said earlier, tassie 19 makes so much sense. So much.

The afl could get it done completely on their terms and have the tassie govt underwrite costs. I think if it doesn’t happen it’s a missed opportunity. I also think it’s a missed opportunity for the people of tassie not pushing harder in 2021. I understand your cynicism but people power could change the outcome this time I feel.

Just focusing on the afl comp and not factoring in ethics etc, the afl was right to go with Gold Coast and gws. Footy has taken great strides since, especially in qld.

The afl could get it done completely on their terms and have the tassie govt underwrite costs. I think if it doesn’t happen it’s a missed opportunity. I also think it’s a missed opportunity for the people of tassie not pushing harder in 2021. I understand your cynicism but people power could change the outcome this time I feel.

Yep the Tasmanian people should push harder in 2021 including stating right now - Hawthorn and North Melbourne will no longer be paid by the Tasmanian taxpayer until there is a commitment for a Tasmanian AFL team.

It is cynical to state that the people of Tasmania should continue to subsidise North and Hawthorn.....parasites.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Since when did/do the AFL take any notice of other people?

Examples would be appreciated.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep the Tasmanian people should push harder in 2021 including stating right now - Hawthorn and North Melbourne will no longer be paid by the Tasmanian taxpayer until there is a commitment for a Tasmanian AFL team.

It is cynical to state that the people of Tasmania should continue to subsidise North and Hawthorn.....parasites.
I think the public are really starting to show they are not overly interested in these FIFO teams if the crowds are anything to go by too.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Bit harsh on the clubs. But I agree with the sentiment.

It’s either one more deal for vic clubs, st kilda will probably be added, in the lead up to tassie 19. Or afl says no and the fly in model is dead 5 years earlier.

Just think Tasmanian could be making a better case to get what the footy public mainly wants. Tassie 19.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
There is a distinct lack of people power in Tasmania pushing for team. No coordinated effort, no banners, no marches, no Facebook group, no membership. No one pushing besides the zPremier and a couple of journalists. How badly to the Tassie people actually want this?

There is a distinct lack of people power in Tasmania pushing for team. No coordinated effort, no banners, no marches, no Facebook group, no membership. No one pushing besides the zPremier and a couple of journalists. How badly to the Tassie people actually want this?

Fairly sad attempt at trolling.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Fairly sad attempt at trolling.
Not at all. I am a massive supporter of a Tas team. But we hear nothing about what people are doing there to make sure this happens. When Canberra wanted GWS games they got 3000 people to sign up as members as a show of support. Think they had to pay $50 which was refundable should Canberra not have been allocated any GWS games. People power works.
Surely the club should have already been formed, and they should be signing up paid members. If they could get 20k survey it would help the cause.
Perhaps I should have framed it as a question to those people living in Tasmania. What is happening down there? Is there a co-ordinated effort? Is it a topic of conversation on talkback radio?

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Harsh.
Please see the above post and tell me what the people (not the Premier) is actually doing there to make sure this happens. We have heard nothing.

Its in the hands of the AFL. Awaiting Carter to have his say.

I have no idea what you expect to see. People are voting with their feet. That's a statement in itself.

9000 to see Hawks & North yesterday.

12000 to see the Q clash. That too is a statement.

A bigger one was Richmond v GWS. 18700. Where were the other 80,000 Richmond 'fans'????

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I have no idea what you expect to see. People are voting with their feet. That's a statement in itself.

A bigger one was Richmond v GWS. 18700. Where were the other 80,000 Richmond 'fans'????
It will be great to see what the Carter report comes up with,sadly the AFL will take very little notice of it but hopefully the state government can get some things out of it to increase our chances of a team in 10 or 15 years when the AFL actually wants to expand.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

No doubt Hawks have run their race in Launceston.
Stupid to have the Q clash during NRL Magic Rnd in Brisbane. It is the biggest sporting carvival north of the Murray. What do you think that 18k @ Richmond says?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
No doubt Hawks have run their race in Launceston.
Stupid to have the Q clash during NRL Magic Rnd in Brisbane. It is the biggest sporting carvival north of the Murray. What do you think that 18k @ Richmond says?

Richmond? I don't know, except that it must say something to Richmond supporters & the AFL. I mean its indoor so the weather wasn't an excuse.

The comment made is for Tassie to support the FIFO games. I guess the implication is to show somehow that it could/would earn us a team of our own.

Clearly that is crap. It always has been.

But what do the crowd figures for Q clash & Richmond games show?

Any suggestions? Anyone?

It certainly can't hurt the Tasmanian bit situation. We clearly haven't got much opposition. ;)

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Richmond? I don't know, except that it must say something to Richmond supporters & the AFL. I mean its indoor so the weather wasn't an excuse.

The comment made is for Tassie to support the FIFO games. I guess the implication is to show somehow that it could/would earn us a team of our own.

Clearly that is crap. It always has been.

But what do the crowd figures for Q clash & Richmond games show?

Any suggestions? Anyone?

It certainly can't hurt the Tasmanian bit situation. We clearly haven't got much opposition. ;)
I think Hawks crowds are still reasonable considering Covid restrictions and they were both bottom placed teams,I think Hawks will stay but North will be replaced by the saints or one of the other three teams pushing for Tassie games.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Hawks crowds are still reasonable considering Covid restrictions and they were both bottom placed teams,I think Hawks will stay but North will be replaced by the saints or one of the other three teams pushing for Tassie games.

I wasn't aware of any covid restrictions still limiting numbers?

Did apply apply to the Q clash or Marvel Stadium for Richmond v GWS?

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The guy assessing Tassie's AFL bid is in town talking to several high profile Tasmanians including the premier about our case. Part of his time is also been spent looking at potential stadium sites in Tasmania,I look forward to hearing what he comes up with.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The guy assessing Tassie's AFL bid is in town talking to several high profile Tasmanians including the premier about our case. Part of his time is also been spent looking at potential stadium sites in Tasmania,I look forward to hearing what he comes up with.

Either way, It would be nice to hear what he finds or decides.

I hope not another Gil, ie says one thing, but then does the opposite.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Colin Carter has said that Tasmania's current stadiums are perfectly fine for our own team and he has loved seeing the big enthusiasm Tasmanians have for their own team.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Colin Carter has said that Tasmania's current stadiums are perfectly fine for our own team and he has loved seeing the big enthusiasm Tasmanians have for their own team.

Why did he bother coming down? Sure it was nice to see him, but why? Pinot noir & Crayfish?

So Who were the stake holders he spoke to? AFLTas? ie AFL employees in Tasmania. The Premier? Why not just use the bloody telephone?

They already play AFL at 2 grounds. They've had at least 2 recent reviews of football here. A parliamentary review. Gil's steering committee in 2018.

FFS make a decision & get on with whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back