Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonatopia

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just what the AFL needs another team.

They’re out of their ******* minds if they bring in a 19th.

The talent pool is shallow enough as it is.
Rubbish.
Football talent is exceptional, even at 1st grade suburban level.

The skill level now compared to the 1950's is on a different scale, yet, even with 30% of the current population, VFL footy was drawing crowds of over 100k.

Your argument is a furphy.

Tonatopia

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm all for a tassie team but i already think 18 teams is too much, the competition was best at 16. If it goes to 20 it will be near impossible for some clubs to ever win a flag.
Good point.
Have you considered an open National Divisional Competition.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Former Geelong president investigating Tassie's afl bid has raised major concerns about our bid including our small population, it will be interesting to see he's final report in mid July.

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Former Geelong president investigating Tassie's afl bid has raised major concerns about our bid including our small population, it will be interesting to see he's final report in mid July.
Awkward argument coming from a Geelong president, a city with half our population.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Well, let's see. The bid itself is not publicly available

If the bid
-makes a number of ambitious "assumptions"
-places any significant proportion of the risk on to the AFL

Than I would think an negative appraisal is likely

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well, let's see. The bid itself is not publicly available

If the bid

Than I would think an negative appraisal is likely
The case that the Tasmanian task force worked on is available.

Tonatopia

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Check out some of these 'findings' from the report;

Core Findings;
2. The AFL is not seeking a 19th team to add to the competition. Admission to the League requires a ‘special majority’ of clubs to back a new entrant. It is unlikely any consideration of a new team would be considered outside of a subsequent broadcast deal, with the earliest opportunity at this time being possibly 2025.
- What a sham

3. Current CEO Gillon McLachlan has perhaps been clearest in his advocacy for Tasmania but equally has raised questions about:
3.1 Its ability to financially support 11 home games;
- Maybe think about abolishing the mandatory 95% Salary Cap payment?
3.2 Its capacity to work without a ‘unified’ Tasmania behind it;
- Obviously the dynamics between Launceston and Hobart isnt working.

7. As an independently viable 19th team, Tasmania provides the AFL with the opportunity to recalibrate, restructure, add a 20th club or even return the League to 18 teams based on the fact a number of clubs today are financially challenged and dependent on AFL underwriting.
- This is how the AFL works. Soulless. ie, we are looking at sacrificing Nth Melbourne for the greater good, instead of looking at a Div2. Pure Corporate Ideology, and far removed from grass roots authenticity.

9.2 Based on current trends, AFL will cede being Tasmania’s favourite sport by 2030 and the AFL risks conceding a key heartland state and market dominant position.
- No s**t. Thats what happens when the AFL continues with their disrespectful arrogance, and fails to accept different models.

11. Female participation levels in the State have enjoyed significant growth in recent years – inflating the perceived growth in playing numbers – as has the number of Tasmanian women playing with existing AFLW teams.
- Who cares. This aligns with their corporate 'inclusive' ideology, which will amount to nothing but wasted time and money. Trying to build up womens footy into a spectator sport is more ridiculous than the idea of 1 team, 2 cities.

11.1 AFL Tasmania and by extension the AFL itself is perceived cynically by the Tasmanian football community.
- Coz the AFL are using the wrong model, and not looking at Hobart and Launceston as seperate viable teams in a National Divisional Comp.

7. Based on the advice provided to the Taskforce by the AFL, Australian Football League Players Association (AFLPA), community consultation and the fact that most of the playing roster, presently, would be from the mainland states, Hobart would be the likely team base.
- And when Hobart build their 'new' stadium, Launceston will get nothing, and the AFL invests with the Launcestons and then rips their heart out. Soulless Corporate thinking.

"One brand and hopefully getting unity and putting a bid together. It's not going to be in the next couple of years, but at least there is a pathway and a
plan there.”
- Basically, there is no unity, and there is no pathway, UNTIL there is Two teams, and Div2 National League, and open markets.

But still, the AFL and the Football community will fail to see the blatant obvious, and continue banging their heads against the wall by 'Blindly' Following the NFL model, and not seriously look at the European model.

The European model is how we can make this happen, and quickly, where everyone (Hobart and Nth Tas residents), are happy.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The case that the Tasmanian task force worked on is available.

I've had a look at it and can confirm it does both of these things

There is no guarantee that the AFL and existing clubs would be better off commercially with Tasmania having a team in. This report essentially assumes they will on some really simplistic bases. From my cursory look, it does not even consider the large number of reasons why this might not be so.

Conversely, it is unambiguous that the state of Tasmania would benefit enormously from having an AFL team. The estimate of the direct contribution to the state of $110m PA is almost 3 % of Tasmanian GSP

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Darwin is about to release it's bid for a AFL team,it will be interesting to see if the AFL takes their bid more seriously than ours.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Darwin is about to release it's bid for a AFL team,it will be interesting to see if the AFL takes their bid more seriously than ours.

What do you mean?

I'm sure the Darwin bid only happens if Tasmania does. A solid Darwin bid if anything marginally improves Tasmania's chances.

Like I said above, the problem with the Tassie bid is it makes the same mistakes that have been made historically. It fails to acknowledge

-that benefit / cost to the afl is uncertain and just as likely less than 1
-that the financial risks should therefore sit with the Tas and federal governments

...in so doing it serves up a s**t sandwich to the afl

Tonatopia

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
What do you mean?

I'm sure the Darwin bid only happens if Tasmania does. A solid Darwin bid if anything marginally improves Tasmania's chances.

Like I said above, the problem with the Tassie bid is it makes the same mistakes that have been made historically. It fails to acknowledge

-that the financial risks should therefore sit with the Tas and federal governments

...in so doing it serves up a sh*t sandwich to the afl
Darwin has a smaller population than Nth Tasmania.

I'd love to understand peoples logic.

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What do you mean?

...in so doing it serves up a sh*t sandwich to the afl
Well the AFL has never taken Tassie seriously,most people in Tasmania have always said that.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well the AFL has never taken Tassie seriously,most people in Tasmania have always said that.

....which actually just makes it worse to the extent that's the case

The privately owned NBL got $80 odd million effectively gifted to it's ends in exchange for a franchise. Something that will provide the smallest fraction of the economic, social and cultural benefits of an AFL club. The amount of money is probably the equivalent of fully funding the costs of the privately owned NBL franchise for 15 years.

It is possibly more accurate to say that the Tasmanian government has not taken what's needed for an AFL team seriously

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The biggest game in years for Tassie this weekend rolls into Launceston,I'm looking forward to it and they are expecting a sell out crowd.I hope it doesn't take any lime light away from the game in Hobart though because that is a good game too and hopefully we get a good crowd there as well.It will be great if Tassie gets a team and we regularly get to see big games like that because you can see going by last weekends crowd what people want to.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The suns president has come out saying a Tassie team can never happen and Tasmania would only get 3 of the teams presidents votes.In other news the Hawks vs Essendon game is close to a sell out in Launceston which shows what happens if the big teams play in Tasmania but unfortunately it is taking all the lime light off Norths Hobart game that is also a decent game and I worry about the attendance for that game.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
The suns president has come out saying a Tassie team can never happen and Tasmania would only get 3 of the teams presidents votes.In other news the Hawks vs Essendon game is close to a sell out in Launceston which shows what happens if the big teams play in Tasmania but unfortunately it is taking all the lime light off Norths Hobart game that is also a decent game and I worry about the attendance for that game.
I’d imagine there’s a few presidents that hate the idea of another club president speaking for them. As for the entry if clubs see it’s a small financial improvement for them they’ll vote yes. That’s all that counts for them. If it’s even a small loss for them they’ll say no. Each club may see it from a totally different view point than the GC president. As for North’s game in Hobart I think north’s days as a fifo is almost over. The politicians as all politicians do will want to be seen to have had a win for the people so they’ll want change no matter what happens.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The suns president has come out saying a Tassie team can never happens and Tasmania would only get 3 of the teams presidents votes.In other news the Hawks vs Essendon game is close to a sell out in Launceston which shows what happens if the big teams play in Tasmania but unfortunately it is taking all the lime light off Norths Hobart game that is also a decent game and I worry about the attendance for that game
I’d imagine there’s a few presidents that hate the idea of another club president speaking for them. As for the entry if clubs see it’s a small financial improvement for them they’ll vote yes. That’s all that counts for them. If it’s even a small loss for them they’ll say no. Each club may see it from a totally different view point than the GC president. As for North’s game in Hobart I think north’s days as a fifo is almost over. The politicians as all politicians do will want to be seen to have had a win for the people so they’ll want change no matter what happens.
The North ceo said the other day they are very keen to resign the Tassie deal and the government has said the same so I think it will happen but hopefully we can ask that more decent games are played here in the next deal.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A good test for Tasmania this weekend with two games in one weekend,we know the Launceston game is sold out now we need a solid Hobart crowd.We need to show the AFL how passionate we are about AFL by attending games, would hope for 7000 minimum for the Hobart game which would be reasonable considering the circumstances.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another low crowd in Hobart last night showing that people are clearly sick of the FIFO model and it was a free game for North members but more Brisbane lions supporters were in attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back