Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
There are collectively about 45 people in those cities not retired or on welfare. How would they support AFL teams?

Also, good luck sending virile young football players to Darwin and Cairns.

Even Tasmania will likely only succeed if they train out of Melbourne and just fifo down for games.
Nah, Hobart is awesome. Player retention is only an issue when the club has a poor culture. Won’t be a problem in footy mad Hobart. They just have to be smart with recruiting like Geelong and draft lots of county boys. List profile by season 10 could be 20 x local Tasmanians, 10 x country Vic, 10 x elsewhere. No one is flying in and out. That is even more ridiculous that the three division proposal.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
We cannot be so dismissive about player retention, it's a real issue.
We might all enjoy Hobart and Lonnie as adults, but as a teenager?
There is a reason why so many teenagers flee Tassie, and once retired, many of the football greats from Tassie never return.
Having said that, in recent years, Tassie has managed to reverse its declining population, so I'm thinking in 10 years time, Hobart will probably be ready for an AFL team.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
There is a reason why so many teenagers flee Tassie, and once retired, many of the football greats from Tassie never return.
Having said that, in recent years, Tassie has managed to reverse its declining population, so I'm thinking in 10 years time, Hobart will probably be ready for an AFL team.
and of course dangerfield, cameron, rohan etc have returned home to the likes of moggs creek for the shining bright lights of the city

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

It may well be true that Tassie is growing, but it was still growing at a slower rate than the rest of the country (pre covid of course). Given that, it's hard to see how it will be in a better position in 10 years than it is now.
Even the covid figures you'd have thought Tassie would have picked up a heap of the exodus out of Victoria. But they all went to Queensland.

That's not to say Tassie shouldn't get a team, just that I don't think it's getting any easier.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
One, you get drafted where you get drafted. By the time your first contract is done, you are no longer a teenager.

Two, You go where the jobs are. AFL players have a job of an AFL player. And that is a big determination on if you stay at your club. Brisbane Lions didn't change location from 2017, when they kept losing players, til now, when they are able to get the best players. Its culture and environment did, which enticed players to stay.

Three, Hasnt stopped heaps of cricketers from coming down to play down here. Sure, some have gone back, others have stayed long term and made a life in Hobart. Everyone is different. Some people like the slower lifestyle. Some people like the big city. Some like not getting recognized, some would love it. Some might have a job, others don't.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Nah, Hobart is awesome. Player retention is only an issue when the club has a poor culture. Won’t be a problem in footy mad Hobart. They just have to be smart with recruiting like Geelong and draft lots of county boys. List profile by season 10 could be 20 x local Tasmanians, 10 x country Vic, 10 x elsewhere. No one is flying in and out. That is even more ridiculous that the three division proposal.
Yeah, lets just say I doubt it.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Teenager flee Tassie for job opportunities. The AFL players will have a job. Football great stay in Melbourne for two reason - many will meet and marry a Melbournite, and because there is no AFL team/industry/jobs in Tassie!!!

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
There are collectively about 45 people in those cities not retired or on welfare. How would they support AFL teams?

Also, good luck sending virile young football players to Darwin and Cairns.

Even Tasmania will likely only succeed if they train out of Melbourne and just fifo down for games.
giphy.gif

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It will interesting to see what happens with the North deal next season because without the money the gov gives North for these games they would be running at a big loss. I think the government either needs to demand more from the deal in the way of better quality of games with at least two of the big Melbourne teams playing here or they just scrap the deal and put the money into trying to establish our own team.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It will interesting to see what happens with the North deal next season because without the money the gov gives North for these games they would be running at a big loss. I think the government either needs to demand more from the deal in the way of better quality of games with at least two of the big Melbourne teams playing here or they just scrap the deal and put the money into trying to establish our own team.

Clearly if we get a team, thats where the investment will go.

Otherwise I recon they will rotate clubs who wish to FIFO for $$$$ & for their local supporters.

North have clearly run their race here. Their desperation for money is getting embarrassing. They should go home & look after their own patch in Melbourne, before they're kicked out.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A new entity is to take ownership of both Tasmania's stadiums and one of the first things that the entity will investigate is putting a roof on one of the stadiums.The stadium that should really get a roof is Blundstone but it would be tricky to install a roof there I would of thought allthough not impossible, interesting to see what comes out of this.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
A new entity is to take ownership of both Tasmania's stadiums and one of the first things that the entity will investigate is putting a roof on one of the stadiums.The stadium that should really get a roof is Blundstone but it would be tricky to install a roof there I would of thought allthough not impossible, interesting to see what comes out of this.

A good move to have the use of the facilities under 'one roof' so to speak. hehehe!!!

As far as a roof goes, I think it a waste of time.

We get relatively little rain. Wind however can be an issue at both grounds.

More so at Boot Park. Even there putting an extension on the eastern side of the members building would reduce that problem a fair bit.

Ideally a new arena would be nice. As much as I'd like an inner city venue, if it were to happen I think the cheapest option with the best access would be KGV.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Many of the greats don't return.

They went over at 18-20 years of age.

Got married, had kids.

Kids go to school. Players settled with family. Started career or coach.

What would one expect?.

Some did come back & stay. Baldock. Hart. Hudson did for a while but the call of family in Melbourne with his sons footy & family. Hudson started a new career.

The population didn't decline. It had periods of small & moderate growth all mixed up. Fairly typical of an island/region.

Lately most growth has been around Hobart.

Population, economics & good stadium deals are important. ;)

Passion, Tribalism & the right Coach is what creates the culture to support a team.

18 teams is already a stretch of the talent pool across the country. Finding another 40+ players is just going to make everyone worse than they are.

So even though a brand new Tasmanian team would be more receptive in Tasmania than a relocated team, it could hurt the league as a whole.

Plus. It doesnt add anything to the league.

So what I think Tasmanians want - Tasmania #19&

What I think the AFL wants - Tasmanian Kangaroos/Saints (St Kilda fans - your club is in a ****ed position, North Melbourne fans - You might be making a profit, but you're doing it off a shoestring budget. If you had some ambition like St Kilda, you'd overspend your means and be in their position. Thing is, if they turn the corner, crowds flock back and they clear that debt. You two are in the same situation, but have taken complete opposite ways at handling it.) Problem being that both are member owned. So how the **** do the AFL force it? Blackmail? Relocate or lose funding, go broke, and leave the league altogether. Would you rather be Fitzroy 2.0 or South Melbourne 2.0?

What I would personally do - Tasmanian Saints (Of the small clubs, they are the best supported down there), Canberra Bulldogs (You're the sacrifice I have to make for the betterment of the game, harsh on a club which is actually viable, but I ask again, would you rather be in the VAFA like Fitzroy, or interstate like Sydney?) and North Queensland Kangaroos, consolidate Collingwood/Hawthorn/Richmond/Essendon/Carlton/Melbourne at the MCG and sell Marvel Stadium to redevelopers - Note, Id also demand Thursday Night Football to become a permanent fixture as it'd be bs to have the MCG hosting Friday Night every week and ****ing over the rest of the country.

Yes - The Northern Territory is wanting a team. But lets be realistic here. That one will never work. It's the worst expansion option out there imho. Id' go Tassie #2, Sydney #3, Newcastle and Central Coast long before I even contemplated an NT side. NT is passionate enough to deserve games. But it doesnt have the means to support a club full time. It's not like Tassie where the 2 cities are close together. Cairns/Townsville (just avoid FNF, Sunday Twilight like the plague) offers ALOT more than Darwin imo.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
18 teams is already a stretch of the talent pool across the country. Finding another 40+ players is just going to make everyone worse than they are.

So even though a brand new Tasmanian team would be more receptive in Tasmania than a relocated team, it could hurt the league as a whole.

Plus. It doesnt add anything to the league.

So what I think Tasmanians want - Tasmania #19&

What I think the AFL wants - Tasmanian Kangaroos/Saints (St Kilda fans - your club is in a ****ed position, North Melbourne fans - You might be making a profit, but you're doing it off a shoestring budget. If you had some ambition like St Kilda, you'd overspend your means and be in their position. Thing is, if they turn the corner, crowds flock back and they clear that debt. You two are in the same situation, but have taken complete opposite ways at handling it.) Problem being that both are member owned. So how the **** do the AFL force it? Blackmail? Relocate or lose funding, go broke, and leave the league altogether. Would you rather be Fitzroy 2.0 or South Melbourne 2.0?

What I would personally do - Tasmanian Saints (Of the small clubs, they are the best supported down there), Canberra Bulldogs (You're the sacrifice I have to make for the betterment of the game, harsh on a club which is actually viable, but I ask again, would you rather be in the VAFA like Fitzroy, or interstate like Sydney?) and North Queensland Kangaroos, consolidate Collingwood/Hawthorn/Richmond/Essendon/Carlton/Melbourne at the MCG and sell Marvel Stadium to redevelopers - Note, Id also demand Thursday Night Football to become a permanent fixture as it'd be bs to have the MCG hosting Friday Night every week and ****ing over the rest of the country.

Yes - The Northern Territory is wanting a team. But lets be realistic here. That one will never work. It's the worst expansion option out there imho. Id' go Tassie #2, Sydney #3, Newcastle and Central Coast long before I even contemplated an NT side. NT is passionate enough to deserve games. But it doesnt have the means to support a club full time. It's not like Tassie where the 2 cities are close together. Cairns/Townsville (just avoid FNF, Sunday Twilight like the plague) offers ALOT more than Darwin imo.

Yes what Tassie want, which will work, & what the AFL want ( Tassie to sink, or accept a busted arse suburban club) are polar opposites.

I'm not sure of the outcome. I fear Gil's lack of guts or foresight will see him revert to his usual 'kick the can down the road' answer to everything. Or a 10 year plan with no progress markers.

Its not an answer anymore Gil..

No is an answer. Anyway. we'll see, eventually

I'm not so sure about the talent lacking. We had less people per VFL club 40 years ago than now we have people per 18 teams.

I think people demand more & more freakishly talented players to just appear for their club.

ie they'll never be happy.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Colin Carter yesterday presented his draft recommendations to the AFL chief for our own team,going to be interesting to see his opinion on the findings.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the AFL come out and kick the decision down the road after being presented with the Carter report:

Time to pull our money out of funding North Melbourne and Hawthorn.

Enough is enough.
The AFL presidents are voting on it later this year so surely we will get an answer this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back