Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No I never said that I said a shift from Blundstone as in something that’s closer to the city, public transport & can be upgraded to atleast 30k. I favoured the Showgrounds redevelopment that Michael Kent tried to get up years ago but alas that ship has sailed. I lean towards KGV as I’ve stated before and outlined why I prefer it.
I also agree that KGV would be great but I honestly don't know where the minimum 500 million would come from for a stadium, probably best to stick with Blundstone to start with and maybe look at a new stadium down the track if Blundstone Arena no longer as the capacity to cope.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I also agree that KGV would be great but I honestly don't know where the minimum 500 million would come from for a stadium, probably best to stick with Blundstone to start with and maybe look at a new stadium down the track if Blundstone Arena no longer as the capacity to cope.

The KGV redevelopment proposal was/is, from what I understand, loosely based on the Carrara/Metricon stadium upgrade, but as you state financing this project makes this a pipe-dream - unless someone like Twiggy Forrest suddenly becomes interested to spend some of his loose change; The 'Forrest KGV Oval'...

Also note the Carrara upgrade cost around $150M about 10 years ago, Forrest probably has that in the ashtray in one of his cars...!!!

Last edited:

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
That’s what they’ll do but the biggest issue with that is governments will want to kick the can down the road so it really never gets done. Metricon cost 144 million in 2011 so even if we double it I don’t see how a stadium will cost 500 million unless your factoring in major, and I mean enormous, infrastructure rebuilds.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The code is national, no doubt.

But I don't see how you can consider the AFL competition to be national without, at minimum, all six states having competing sides.

It's certainly a national competition in terms of mainland Australia though.

We all understand the current set up is compromised as is the appetite for change. 9 teams in one city says it all.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s what they’ll do but the biggest issue with that is governments will want to kick the can down the road so it really never gets done. Metricon cost 144 million in 2011 so even if we double it I don’t see how a stadium will cost 500 million unless your factoring in major, and I mean enormous, infrastructure rebuilds.

My amount was probably over the top,I think the way it could be done in the medium term would probably be a joint partnership between both levels of government and the AFL but I can't see the latter coming to the party unfortunately.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
My amount was probably over the top,I think the way it could be done in the medium term would probably be a joint partnership between both levels of government and the AFL but I can't see the latter coming to the party unfortunately.
I can see several federal & state governments having big budgets spends to stimulate spending after the world eventually starts to open up.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

Agree, good luck getting anything other than best wishes from the AFL!
Note, the Qld Government were a major financier for the Carrara upgrade allocated from their 2018 Commonwealth Games hosting budget.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I can see several federal & state governments having big budgets spends to stimulate spending after the world eventually starts to open up.

The problem for stadiums is the upkeep costs & how often the facility is utilised. In a one team State that'd be 11 AFL games under the old & outdated home & away template.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
It's half of what Hawthorn and North get for home and away games
No it is the same. Hawks extra cash comes from being the main sponsor, ticketing, etc. Adds up to around $4m. North’s total is less due to Tas not being their main sponsor and smaller crowds.
AFL will pocket another $500k from ticket sales for each final.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
No it is the same. Hawks extra cash comes from being the main sponsor, ticketing, etc. Adds up to around $4m. North’s total is less due to Tas not being their main sponsor and smaller crowds.

And the same is token.

These are AFL finals not North Melbourne versus gold coast

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Note, the Qld Government were a major financier for the Carrara upgrade allocated from their 2018 Commonwealth Games hosting budget.

And the AFL kicked in as well for Carrara

What the AFL would be offering is for a Club in the biggest sporting competition in the country based there in perpetuity. A club that the Carter report established would almost certainly cost more than it will bring in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Actually, the AFL is the only league that has put substantial funds into stadium upgrades (unlike the NRL or A-League who have never contributed a cent to any stadium) e.g. in the example you gave, yes, the Qld gov't provided the largest sum, followed by the Feds, but the AFL still contributed $13.3 million -

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

So who picks up the tab for the stadium, e.g gates ...

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
And the AFL kicked in as well for Carrara

What the AFL would be offering is for a Club in the biggest sporting competition in the country based there in perpetuity. A club that the Carter report established would almost certainly cost more than it will bring in.

THe AFL are familiar with that business model.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
THe AFL are familiar with that business model.

Pretty sure to some extent or other, the AFL signature on a long term commitment has been critical to a lot of oval stadium investment across the country (whether or not it has come with an upfront contribution which it often has)

It may be that Perth Stadium is the only major oval stadium build / rebuild in the last few decades that did not commence with a signed on AFL commitment.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Pretty sure to some extent or other, the AFL signature on a long term commitment has been critical to a lot of oval stadium investment across the country (whether or not it has come with an upfront contribution which it often has)

It may be that Perth Stadium is the only major oval stadium build / rebuild in the last few decades that did not commence with a signed on AFL commitment.

The Barnett Government werent noted for crossing the t's ....

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
Then you need to understand what constitutes a fail.

So let's start off -
firstly the Tasmanian Turtles/...or Tasmanian Tigers....or whatever they are called - they will need a whole range of draft concessions.

(Here we go again)//rolls eyes.

So instead of your team getting pick 1-6 for being in the bottom 6 of the ladder, you will instead get pick 15 as the Tasmanian team needs all the good picks to "start up".
On top of that, they will need the best picks for the following year, and the year after that. So let's say your team getting pick 4 might have been a gun player - Dustin Martin equivalent let's say - oops. That could have resulted in your team going from 15th on the ladder to 9th and 5th and onwards...but oh well! that player is now at the Tasmanian Tigers. Not to worry. It's "for the good of the game."

Then let's say the Tasmanian team isn't winning games...does the AFL then sink money into them, spend millions on making them competitive as they have with the Gold Coast?

Maybe they get extra room in the salary cap, maybe draft concessions etc so that they can beat other crap teams around them. We have seen this model already.

The pie (finals) is too small and not enough teams are getting to eat some of the cake as it is. If they include a Tasmanian team - let's hope it is an existing team that wants to go there. If that's the case then I have no problem with a Tasmanian team (as long as they don't get concessions). The pie just isn't big enough to go around....

or alternatively get rid of the Gold Coast team. The AFL won't do that as they see a big fat cheque at the end of the Gold Coast rainbow. The amount of people living in the Gold Coast is large enough to make it a permanent feature. Expect the money to be funnelled there until they are successful.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
One thing I can see happening is once tassie gets an AFL side pretty much straight away they’d get an AFLW side and I can see extra funding becoming available to value add to facilities via this extra funding.
Yep. Reckon the AFLW might start a year or two earlier than the men.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
So let's start off -
firstly the Tasmanian Turtles/...or Tasmanian Tigers....or whatever they are called - they will need a whole range of draft concessions.

So instead of your team getting pick 1-6 for being in the bottom 6 of the ladder, you will instead get pick 15 as the Tasmanian team needs all the good picks to "start up".
On top of that, they will need the best picks for the following year, and the year after that. So let's say your team getting pick 4 might have been a gun player - Dustin Martin equivalent let's say - oops. That could have resulted in your team going from 15th on the ladder to 9th and 5th and onwards...but oh well! that player is now at the Tasmanian Tigers. Not to worry. It's "for the good of the game."

Then let's say the Tasmanian team isn't winning games...does the AFL then sink money into them, spend millions on making them competitive as they have with the Gold Coast?

Maybe they get extra room in the salary cap, maybe draft concessions etc so that they can beat other crap teams around them. We have seen this model already.

The pie (finals) is too small and not enough teams are getting to eat some of the cake as it is. If they include a Tasmanian team - let's hope it is an existing team that wants to go there. If that's the case then I have no problem with a Tasmanian team (as long as they don't get concessions). The pie just isn't big enough to go around....

or alternatively get rid of the Gold Coast team. The AFL won't do that as they see a big fat cheque at the end of the Gold Coast rainbow. The amount of people living in the Gold Coast is large enough to make it a permanent feature. Expect the money to be funnelled there until they are successful.
Tas just needs to look at what GWS did. The draft was only impacted to a significant degree for one season. That will pass. No an issue. Clubs will have five years to plan. Also we have free agency now so it should be easier for Tassie to add players.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
So let's start off -

A rather ignorant take given that unlike NSW and specifically QLD, Tasmania are a traditional footy heartland with a state league being founded in 1879.

I can't be faaarked listing all the current players or the huge list of former Brownlow medalists/Coleman medalists and other past champions but please note these include current Blues players Levi Casboult/Liam Jones and past icons such as Peter Jones/Brett Crosswell.

Absolutely shameful of the AFL to grant operating licenses to GWS and the Suns ahead of a traditional AFL state that has been in constant decline for decades.

It's just criminal former clubs and leagues I played for and in (during the late 70's and 80's) are now defunct, with the remnants of one my former clubs (founded in 1905) now stored in four boxes in a mates garage...

This allowed to take place while the AFL morons try to sell the game into 'new markets' such as QLD where the locals are still a little confused by the no offside rule and the reason for two extra conversion posts...

Tassie Devils.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Examiner news paper has got another article that further increases the North South divide in this site. The politicians here in Tasmania keep talking about how the North South divide is no longer a problem in Tasmania but I see clearly by all the media up here in the north that is clearly not the case. I can see this definitely causing problems for Tasmania's AFL chances and I believe this needs to stop, people up are in the north need to realise this can not be done without the South and that comes from a Northerner.We need to work together to make this happen because any obstacles put in its way will derail everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back