Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I’m for a Tasmanian team but if it’s going to work the following thing must be put into place to avoid another Gold Coast Suns embarrassment.
1.The club should be for its first 10 years %100 Privatly owned then after that only %51 Privatly owned then members own the rest.
2.The team to be called Hobart with a nickname to be called what ever.
3.All games in the AFL season including Finals to be played in Hobart.
4.All games to be played in a new stadium with a proper roof on it.
5.For the First 3 years you need to play the following clubs Collingwood,Richmond and Essendon as Home games in Prime Time in the First 5 Rounds as they need to fill a new stadium from the start as they is no point putting The Suns,GWS or my club in there as early season Home games maybe 2nd half of the season for those clubs.
6.As for current grounds in Hobart and Launceston use them for the pre season only.
The case calls for half the games to be played up in Launceston but Hobart is clearly the most logical place to base it and it could never be called Hobart something because then the people up here in the north won't support it. The north south divide is huge in Tasmania and that is why it must be called Tasmania something,I'm in the north but personally don't care if it's Hobart but I know how bad people are up here when it comes to that rubbish.

Well I’m for a Tasmanian team but if it’s going to work the following thing must be put into place to avoid another Gold Coast Suns embarrassment.
1.The club should be for its first 10 years %100 Privatly owned then after that only %51 Privatly owned then members own the rest.
2.The team to be called Hobart with a nickname to be called what ever.
3.All games in the AFL season including Finals to be played in Hobart.
4.All games to be played in a new stadium with a proper roof on it.
5.For the First 3 years you need to play the following clubs Collingwood,Richmond and Essendon as Home games in Prime Time in the First 5 Rounds as they need to fill a new stadium from the start as they is no point putting The Suns,GWS or my club in there as early season Home games maybe 2nd half of the season for those clubs.
6.As for current grounds in Hobart and Launceston use them for the pre season only.
1. Why? Funding is already available.
2. Why? Everyone is happy with Tasmanian Devils FC
3. Why? Launceston crowds for footy are just as strong
4. New stadium is great but what they have is already equal with GWS. Hobart same rainfall as Melbourne so why a roof? Tassie people are used to their own weather.
5. Yep
6. See 4. They will get at least one new stadium and the other refurbished.

1. Why? Funding is already available.
2. Why? Everyone is happy with Tasmanian Devils FC
3. Why? Launceston crowds for footy are just as strong
4. New stadium is great but what they have is already equal with GWS. Hobart same rainfall as Melbourne so why a roof? Tassie people are used to their own weather.
5. Yep
6. See 4. They will get at least one new stadium and the other refurbished.
A roofed Stadium in Tasmania is required more in Hobart than Melbourne considering it is a fair bit colder than Melbourne's mild year round climate.They built a roofed stadium In Dunedin New Zealand and it did wonders for crowd attendances.

A roofed Stadium in Tasmania is required more in Hobart than Melbourne considering it is a fair bit colder than Melbourne's mild year round climate.They built a roofed stadium In Dunedin New Zealand and it did wonders for crowd attendances.
Dunedin's has an average max of 9 in July, Hobart 12 and Melbourne 14. So, Hobart is more like Melbourne than Dunedin. Plus, Dunedin also gets more rain, which is what the roof if for. A roofed stadium does not have heating. Still gets cold inside Marvel. Stadiums do not need a roof. Heck, the the USA almost all football stadiums have open stands with no cover.

Dunedin's has an average max of 9 in July, Hobart 12 and Melbourne 14. So, Hobart is more like Melbourne than Dunedin. Plus, Dunedin also gets more rain, which is what the roof if for. A roofed stadium does not have heating. Still gets cold inside Marvel. Stadiums do not need a roof. Heck, the the USA almost all football stadiums have open stands with no cover.
Yes you are right about a roofed stadium not having heating but it definitely makes it not as cold and you cut the wind out as well which get rid of wind chill.

Yes you are right about a roofed stadium not having heating but it definitely makes it not as cold and you cut the wind out as well which get rid of wind chill.
If the Tasmanian Gov't is willing to stump up the cash - and at reasonable, affordable rates - for an indoor stadium then fantastic - go for it. However, I doubt they'll do so. If they do, it'd be a great bonus - but it ain't any sort of necessity to get a Tasmanian team. A new SOTA Hobart stadium with roofing for spectators and an upgrade for Launceston should suffice.

They are not building an indoor stadium for six footy games and four BBL matches. Marvel is the only one in Australia and it gets six to seven times the use. It is not part of the discussion.

They are not building an indoor stadium for six footy games and four BBL matches. Marvel is the only one in Australia and it gets six to seven times the use. It is not part of the discussion.
I noticed they have talked about building a roof on one of the current two Tassie stadiums allthough I don't really see how they could put a roof on the current stadiums.

I agree, but I suspect any serious proposal would be a permanent roof (like in Dunedin) which would be significantly cheaper than the retractable roof at Docklands.

Which would need to be insanely high to still be suitable for cricket of course.

Anyone heard anything about the big meeting between the premier and Alistair Clarkson planned for this week or anything else?

I agree, but I suspect any serious proposal would be a permanent roof (like in Dunedin) which would be significantly cheaper than the retractable roof at Docklands.

Which would need to be insanely high to still be suitable for cricket of course.
Why? Hobart gets far less winter rain than Perth, for example. Why do people think a roof is even on the agenda? Just build a slightly larger Metricon. Two simple tiers, 32k. $320m. Easy.

Also, the area of an AFL oval is twice that of a Rugby pitch, so you can’t compare the costs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne chief believes tasmania won't get a team in the near future due to Covid and has little chance of getting the required votes, interesting times ahead for Tassie's AFL bid.

North Melbourne chief believes tasmania won't get a team in the near future due to Covid and has little chance of getting the required votes ...
These are his actual words -
"It's a shame about the timing," Amarfio said. "In any other time, in any other period, the vast majority of clubs would
be in absolute agreement that Tasmania deserves a team. The only thing that's holding that decision back is the timing.
I would love to see Tassie have their own team but we need to be financially prudent and do it in a process that makes sense so the industry can afford it
."

These are his actual words -
"It's a shame about the timing," Amarfio said. "In any other time, in any other period, the vast majority of clubs would
be in absolute agreement that Tasmania deserves a team. The only thing that's holding that decision back is the timing.
I would love to see Tassie have their own team but we need to be financially prudent and do it in a process that makes sense so the industry can afford it
."

Ok I made it sound worse but he definitely believes Covid is going to have an impact.

Ok I made it sound worse but he definitely believes Covid is going to have an impact.
This is why it is smart of Tassie not to rush this. By the middle of next season it should be apparent that footy is no longer COVID affected.

Last edited:
In breaking news the weakest Victorian team, who happens to play 4 games in Tasmania and has an AFLW franchise that plays games in Tasmania talks down Tasmanian expansion.

‘Always back the horse with vested interest, it’s the only one trying…’
. Exactly if the afl were actually serious about it north and hawthorn should have to sit out the voting process due to the massive financial conflict of interest they have

This is why it is smart of Tassie not to rush this. By the middle of next season it should be apparent that footy is no longer COVID affected.

TV rights revenue is reduced through to the end of 2022. Its going to take a little whle to recover financially from the losses, and clubs will expect to build back up to pre covid before money is spent on a new team.

TV rights revenue is reduced through to the end of 2022. Its going to take a little whle to recover financially from the losses, and clubs will expect to build back up to pre covid before money is spent on a new team.
That won't be a problem considering tasmania is expected to enter the competition sometime from 2026 to 2030.

. Exactly if the afl were actually serious about it north and hawthorn should have to sit out the voting process due to the massive financial conflict of interest they have
Both teams have indicated they fully support a Tassie team but whether that means they vote yes is anyone's guess considering no one knows who votes yes or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back