Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Herald Sun had a story talking about the AFL making 40 million out of the grand final and said some of the money would likely go into Tasmania's AFL bid. I honestly can't see the AFL using some of the money on a Tassie team when they don't really have any concrete plans for a Tassie team.

Outtatym

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Herald Sun had a story talking about the AFL making 40 million out of the grand final and said some of the money would likely go into Tasmania's AFL bid. I honestly can't see the AFL using some of the money on a Tassie team when they don't really have any concrete plans for a Tassie team.
Why are you so negative about everything and things that havent even happened?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The article I can see doesnt say that, just that if the AFL breaks even this season, it will help alleviate financial concerns leading up to any expansion.

The AFL has also put off an AFL club vote on an expanded competition until around August next season.

The league said recently it would not be financially prudent to make a decision on Tasmania’s bid for a stand-alone team this year with $700 million in lost earnings from clubs and the AFL over the pandemic.

But a break-even result this season for the AFL and a return to strong profits next year would ease club concerns about profitability as they voted on a 19th team.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why are you so negative about everything and things that havent even happened?
I'm pretty positive with most things in life but most people in Tasmania have a pretty negative view on Tassie's chances of getting a team considering how the AFL has constantly knocked a Tassie team back.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The article I can see doesnt say that, just that if the AFL breaks even this season, it will help alleviate financial concerns leading up to any expansion.

Ok understood
Negativity and misquoting seem to be Mr taswegians favourite things.
I think you will find a large amount of people are negative about Tasmania's chance's of getting a team because they have been given so much hope we would get a team from the AFL in the past and then see it not happen.

Outtatym

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm pretty positive with most things in life but most people in Tasmania have a pretty negative view on Tassie's chances of getting a team considering how the AFL has constantly knocked a Tassie team back.
I understand as a Tasmanian you have been burnt a few times but fmd it's like you are cheering for them to reject you so you can have a whinge. Just relax mate it's a long process but it will happen eventually

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I understand as a Tasmanian you have been burnt a few times but fmd it's like you are cheering for them to reject you so you can have a whinge. Just relax mate it's a long process but it will happen eventually
Fair enough,i guess I need to change my mindset,I'm only in my twenties so it's not as if I don't have plenty of time.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough,i guess I need to change my mindset,I'm only in my twenties so it's not as if I don't have plenty of time.

Some of us are older. We maybe don't have so much time. ;)

Remember, footy isn't a matter of life or death. its far more important than that!!!

Anyway, pointless worrying when we have no control over it.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

I can generally forecast what the AFL are up to and if they are up to something dodgey. If the Tasmanian team wasn't favoured in-house you would have Caroline Wilson and the likes being the mouthpiece as to why it isn't viable in the media. Also you wouldn't have Gills mate Alastair Clarkson appointed as a Tasmanian new team representative. If the AFL didn't want this it would have been snuffed out already via a targeted media campaign pushing strongly against it. I agree it is intentionally being delayed but that is smart business as making big decisions during a pandemic isn't sensible. Also they know to get somebody like Clarkson involved assists in getting all the other clubs to vote yes.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The Tas. economy, for the 7th Quarter in a row, leads all the other States for general economic growth, in % terms.
It is also performing very well in population growth, in relative % terms (Raw pop. growth nos. OK also).

These economic performances, which are expected to continue in the near term at least, are propitious for its chances of becoming the 19th AFL club.

The Tas. economy, for the 7th Quarter in a row, leads all the other States for general economic growth, in % terms.
It is also performing very well in population growth, in relative % terms (Raw pop. growth nos. OK also).

These economic performances, which are expected to continue in the near term at least, are propitious for its chances of becoming the 19th AFL club.
It's a CommSec valuing of various indicators, of which Tasmania's biggest strength is "relative population growth", not overall economic growth in terms of GDP or whatever. The "relative population growth" is occurring in large part because of no immigration to the rest of the country obviously because of the international border closure. It's hardly sustainable or a reflection of Tasmania's strength in non-pandemic times, and it's pretty meaningless either for or against one way or another.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. The Mercury J. Bresnehan 5.11

In an NBL pre-season comp. held in Tas., all 12 games have been nearly sold out.

Also, the Tas. Jackjumpers membership, with a maximum of 4k allowed (due to current Derwent Stadium constraints), already has 3500 members.

(Basketball & soccer GR comp. nos. are booming, & are at record levels in Tas. - the magnificent, new Derwent Centre being built will probably turbocharge basketball in Tas. Elite male pro Tas. cricket is thriving, "punching well above its weight"- & Tas. is overrepresented in pro national cricket teams now.

Conversely, due to AFL neglect & no Tas. AFL team, demoralised & disillusioned GR AF male comp. nos. have had a major decline in the last decade- with small male comp. growth since 2019).

"JACKJUMPER fans have swarmed on tickets to the NBL Blitz preseason basketball tournament with almost all games now “sold out”.

themercury.com.au
THE old Derwent Entertainment Centre will be unrecognisable when Tasmanians get their first look at the JackJumpers and the $66 million
"

2. Excellent, long interview by T. Elliot Radio 3AW 774 with Tim Lane 18.8.21, on why Tas. should have its own, 19th AFL team; & producing many champions & stars again would be of great benefit to the AFL.

Lane said "The game in Tas. is in an appalling state, & it will only get worse" , unless Tas. joins as the 19th team- fans are only excited by elite play, & only want to see their own Tas. team in the elite AFL comp.

It's a CommSec valuing of various indicators, of which Tasmania's biggest strength is "relative population growth", not overall economic growth in terms of GDP or whatever. The "relative population growth" is occurring in large part because of no immigration to the rest of the country obviously because of the international border closure. It's hardly sustainable or a reflection of Tasmania's strength in non-pandemic times, and it's pretty meaningless either for or against one way or another.

The CommSec national economic index is widely quoted in the MSM, & is well regarded- it cannot be dismissed.

Tas. was having strong economic growth in the last few years, best % increase of all the Aust. States- & before the pandemic.
The good economic & population is likely to continue.

4. The Age J. Wylie 18.8.21

J. Wylie, awarded the Order Of Australia AM (Australia's highest civic award), is a leading Australian investment banker, formerly Head of Corporate at Lazard, & head of the MCG Trust.

He provides strong arguments on why a Tas. 19th team would be good for the AFL, & AF overall- ie not just in Tas.

Interestingly, in a word that will move away from fossil fuels in the next 30 years, he states that Tas. will be a major economic beneficiary of this transition, with its "clean, green Tasmania" very strong commercial potential ( & much more hydro power, that the undersea cable exports to Vic.).

In the Melbourne MSM, support for an imminent Tas. 19th team in the AFL is almost overwhelming.

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. The Mercury J. Bresnehan 5.11

In an NBL pre-season comp. held in Tas., all 12 games have been nearly sold out.

Also, the Tas. Jackjumpers membership, with a maximum of 4k allowed (due to current Derwent Stadium constraints), already has 3500 members.

(Basketball & soccer GR comp. nos. are booming, & are at record levels in Tas. - the magnificent, new Derwent Centre being built will probably turbocharge basketball in Tas. Elite male pro Tas. cricket is thriving, "punching well above its weight"- & Tas. is overrepresented in pro national cricket teams now.

Conversely, due to AFL neglect & no Tas. AFL team, demoralised & disillusioned GR AF male comp. nos. have had a major decline in the last decade- with small male comp. growth since 2019).

"JACKJUMPER fans have swarmed on tickets to the NBL Blitz preseason basketball tournament with almost all games now “sold out”.

themercury.com.au
THE old Derwent Entertainment Centre will be unrecognisable when Tasmanians get their first look at the JackJumpers and the $66 million
"

2. Excellent, long interview by T. Elliot Radio 3AW 774 with Tim Lane 18.8.21, on why Tas. should have its own, 19th AFL team; & producing many champions & stars again would be of great benefit to the AFL.

Lane said "The game in Tas. is in an appalling state, & it will only get worse" , unless Tas. joins as the 19th team- fans are only excited by elite play, & only want to see their own Tas. team in the elite AFL comp.

The CommSec national economic index is widely quoted in the MSM, & is well regarded- it cannot be dismissed.

Tas. was having strong economic growth in the last few years, best % increase of all the Aust. States- & before the pandemic.
The good economic & population is likely to continue.

4. The Age J. Wylie 18.8.21

J. Wylie, awarded the Order Of Australia AM (Australia's highest civic award), is a leading Australian investment banker, formerly Head of Corporate at Lazard, & head of the MCG Trust.

He provides strong arguments on why a Tas. 19th team would be good for the AFL, & AF overall- ie not just in Tas.

Interestingly, in a word that will move away from fossil fuels in the next 30 years, he states that Tas. will be a major economic beneficiary of this transition, with its "clean, green Tasmania" very strong commercial potential ( & much more hydro power, that the undersea cable exports to Vic.).

In the Melbourne MSM, support for an imminent Tas. 19th team in the AFL is almost overwhelming.

Tickets to the preseason blitz were free of charge and I highly doubt My State bank arena is at 5000 capacity for the games.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Prof. P. Adams, Victoria University, 11.11.21 said (following the Federal Govt.'s 2050 Net Zero carbon commitment at the recent Glasgow Climate summit) that the Tas. economy would benefit most, in % terms, cf the other States, from the 2050 Net Zero carbon emissions policy.

Change in real state product by industry under net zero scenario, 2050

Centre of Policy Studies, November 11, 2021

Adams: "By state, Tasmania benefits the most under net-zero, having more hydroelectricity, forestry and wood products industry than other states as well as no coal-fired generation. Its real gross state product would be 4.9% higher than otherwise in 2050, and employment 11,600 higher".

Warning: Long Read

A growing economy assists the Tas. Businesss Case.

2. Mr Taswegian
Can you check your claim?
The article states the 12 NBL Blitz games were nearly "sold-out".

themercury.com.au
"

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. Prof. P. Adams, Victoria University, 11.11.21 said (following the Federal Govt.'s 2050 Net Zero carbon commitment at the recent Glasgow Climate summit) that the Tas. economy would benefit most, in % terms, cf the other States, from the 2050 Net Zero carbon emissions policy.

Change in real state product by industry under net zero scenario, 2050

Centre of Policy Studies, November 11, 2021

Adams: "By state, Tasmania benefits the most under net-zero, having more hydroelectricity, forestry and wood products industry than other states as well as no coal-fired generation. Its real gross state product would be 4.9% higher than otherwise in 2050, and employment 11,600 higher".

Warning: Long Read

A growing economy assists the Tas. Businesss Case.

2. Mr Taswegian
Can you check your claim?
The article states the 12 NBL Blitz games were nearly "sold-out".

themercury.com.au
"
Yes most free tickets given away, it's not actually a sell out though when tickets are free.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
oval version of this? fixed translucent roof
1637725542382.png

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
oval version of this? fixed translucent roof
View attachment 1286361

The problem with that is that it's unlikely to be able to host cricket....the roof would need to be twice that height which would make the whole structure cost prohibitive for a venue that would only host maybe a dozen major event days a year.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Dunedin stadium about 200mill NZ in 2010 docklands $450mill OZ in 2000 Oz dollar slightly bigger. If you want a roof, make it fixed

I’d suggest docklands cost 8-10 times more for not that great a capacity increase

just change the rules for indoor cricket. The sport ceased being serious years ago

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know it's early days but the Tasmania JackJumpers are officially undefeated in the NBL. It was a full house (4738) at the MyState Arena in Hobart last night and the JackJumpers were able to claim an 83-74 OT victory over the Brisbane Bullets in their NBL debut. Next up for the JackJumpers is another home game in Hobart against the Adelaide 36ers, who lost to Perth Wildcats last night. It's entirely possible Tasmania will start the NBL season 2-0.

The more this team wins, the more pressure will be heaped on the AFL to give them a licence. You can say what you like about the NBL being second rate but the sport of basketball is extremely popular amongst the younger generation these days and providing a local JackJumpers pathway into the NBA is far more appealing than whatever North Melbourne is doing in Tassie these days.

It's time to give Tasmania an AFL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back