Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The AFL's response to T20 franchise cricket taking off: "meh, Hurricanes shmurricanes"

The AFL's response to the JackJumpers' 10k TV viewers: "omg we must do something to stop this juggernaut!"
I think you underestimate how many kids in Australia play footy and basketball these days.

The point still stands - more competition in the local marketplace generally decreases your penetration until you commit to full-time representation. Now the AFL has to compete with two local professional sporting teams and the NBL season runs all the way up until June so this is direct competition, as opposed to the Hurricanes only playing games in the AFL off season.

If the locals of Hobart have choose between attending a North Melbourne v Port Adelaide game at Blundstone Arena or watching the JackJumpers play a finals match at the Hobart Arena, do you think everyone chooses football or is there a decrease because the local basketball team is having a successful season? Footy will always win out for certain fans but don't underestimate state/city pride that comes with supporting a team based in your local area.

I think you underestimate how many kids in Australia play footy and basketball these days.
I haven't made any estimation, accurate or otherwise. I have read the estimations of various sources though.

I think you overestimate the relevance any of that has with regards to what I said.

The point still stands - more competition in the local marketplace generally decreases your penetration until you commit to full-time representation. Now the AFL has to compete with two local professional sporting teams and the NBL season runs all the way up until June so this is direct competition, as opposed to the Hurricanes only playing games in the AFL off season.

If the locals of Hobart have choose between attending a North Melbourne v Port Adelaide game at Blundstone Arena or watching the JackJumpers play a finals match at the Hobart Arena, do you think everyone chooses football or is there a decrease because the local basketball team is having a successful season? Footy will always win out for certain fans but don't underestimate state/city pride that comes with supporting a team based in your local area.
So you're saying if Tasmania had its own AFL team, attendance at AFL matches in Tasmania would increase? You have just blown my mind.

Btw North Melbourne playing in Hobart is about tourism dollars. If it was about maximising attendance of the locals, they wouldn't be playing Port Adelaide there. This has been explained many times.

You also brought up Hawthorn which has nothing to do with North's NGA academy and the JackJumpers Next Stars pathway into the NBA. Very strange posting...

Pathway to the NBA lol.

If a kid in Tassie is NBA quality, they'll have made it on the radar whether the Jack Jumpers existed or not.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Depends on capacity of the stadiums at the moment they are both around 20k at that number every game would be a sell out obviously they will get redeveloped though
Sell outs against the big teams and 10 to 15 thousand against the small teams is more realistical.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
That's only four times a year though
The team would only play in each of Hobart or Launceston five or six times. Each match will be sellout in the first season. Crowds will dip the next few seasons until they start winning games, but people are severely underestimating how strong the crowds will be.
Hawks averaged crowds of 15K for 15 years, mainly playing against low drawing opponents. A Tassie team will obviously draw even better.

Last edited:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The team would only play in each of Hobart or Launceston five or six times. Each match will be sellout in the first season. Crowds will dip the next few seasons until they start winning games, but people are severely underestimating how strong the crowds will be.
Hawks averaged crowds of 15K for 15 years, mainly playing against low drawing opponents. A Tassie team will obviously draw even better.

Jeez you’d hope so! Can’t see a Tasmanian team having much success as over time tassys population and economy will continue to fall further behind the mainland.

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
Jeez you’d hope so! Can’t see a Tasmanian team having much success as over time tassys population and economy will continue to fall further behind the mainland.
Another s**t comment from Kappa, another quarter where Tasmania is the best performing state in the economy relative to population. I'm yawning at this stage.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Most mainland population growth is from asian immigration which is unlikely to increase attendance or participation significantly. Not a factor.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
No I did not say that. What I said is in my post, just above yours.

You said "its not a factor".

Does that mean that the mainland's population isn't growing faster than Tasmania's? Or that more people in their regions isn't good for clubs? Even excluding Asian immigration.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stadium deals are going to be very important leading up to the AFL decision next year according to our AFL working group,I look forward to seeing what the deals will include.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
You said "its not a factor".

Does that mean that the mainland's population isn't growing faster than Tasmania's? Or that more people in their regions isn't good for clubs? Even excluding Asian immigration.
No it doesn't mean the mainland's population isn't growing faster than Tasmania's. Just that the bulk of that growth has little interest in AFL, so it should not be a factor in whether or not Tasmania should have a team.
No it doesn't mean that more people isn't good for clubs.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Stadium deals are going to be very important leading up to the AFL decision next year according to our AFL working group,I look forward to seeing what the deals will include.
Any word on whether the plan is still to expand/upgrade Launceston to 27K for season 1, then work out what to do about Hobart down the track?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I haven't made any estimation, accurate or otherwise. I have read the estimations of various sources though.

I think you overestimate the relevance any of that has with regards to what I said.

So you're saying if Tasmania had its own AFL team, attendance at AFL matches in Tasmania would increase? You have just blown my mind.

Btw North Melbourne playing in Hobart is about tourism dollars. If it was about maximising attendance of the locals, they wouldn't be playing Port Adelaide there. This has been explained many times.

Are you underrating the cynicism of the AFL administration with so many clubs that cant pull a crowd on their own at home?

11 home games in Tas is an opportunity for tourism.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any word on whether the plan is still to expand/upgrade Launceston to 27K for season 1, then work out what to do about Hobart down the track?
I haven't heard anything recently but they have the Stadium trust set up now that has that as one of the planned projects along with a smaller upgrade of Blundstone.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
No it doesn't mean the mainland's population isn't growing faster than Tasmania's. Just that the bulk of that growth has little interest in AFL, so it should not be a factor in whether or not Tasmania should have a team.
No it doesn't mean that more people isn't good for clubs.

I mean, that's such a dumb argument. Even excluding Asian immigration, the difference in population from mainland states to Tasmania is only going to grow and grow over time, Tasmania will fall further behind, do you not understand this?

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Hawks attract a lot of tourists to the North.
Yes, but that is the only place we have played (until now). I have been, but aside from the game, you can't get out of Launceston quick enough. Hobart on the other hand is brilliant for 2 - 4 days.
I hope the find a decent spot to build a mini Optus in Hobart. 36K with steep stands and 4k drop in seats meaning it is FIFA compliant - get some Federal funding for our upcoming World Cup hosting bid. Reckon Hobart could average around 25K-30k once they start winning a few games.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, but that is the only place we have played (until now). I have been, but aside from the game, you can't get out of Launceston quick enough. Hobart on the other hand is brilliant for 2 - 4 days.
I hope the find a decent spot to build a mini Optus in Hobart. 36K with steep stands and 4k drop in seats meaning it is FIFA compliant - get some Federal funding for our upcoming World Cup hosting bid. Reckon Hobart could average around 25K-30k once they start winning a few games.
That sounds great, I would happily travel down from Scottsdale if that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back