Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I mean, that's such a dumb argument. Even excluding Asian immigration, the difference in population from mainland states to Tasmania is only going to grow and grow over time, Tasmania will fall further behind, do you not understand this?
I disagree that it is dumb argument. I think it is highly relevant. You would argue that it is a good idea to open a pizza shop in Springvale, just because there are more people moving there - even though the majority of people moving there will never eat pizza. Raw numbers are great, but it is more important to have a population that actually has an interest in your product. Tasmania still has the highest participation level of any state, despite recent declines. The state's passion for the game is exactly why a team will be a great and instant success.

Last edited:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I disagree that it is dumb argument. I think it is highly relevant. You would argue that it is a good idea to open a pizza shop in Springvale, just because there are more people moving there - even though the majority of people moving there will never eat pizza. Raw numbers are great, but it is more important to have a population that actually has an interest in your product.

I mean would you open a pizza restaurant in a suburb that is growing MUCH faster in raw numbers in terms of people who don't eat pizza AND those that do? Or one which is getting (relatively) smaller and smaller (with less economic wealth) over time?

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I mean would you open a pizza restaurant in a suburb that is growing MUCH faster in raw numbers in terms of people who don't eat pizza AND those that do? Or one which is getting (relatively) smaller and smaller (with less economic wealth) over time?
I would open one where my target demographic is. I would definitely NOT open one just because an area's population is growing. I hope you are not in business.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would open one where my target demographic is. I would definitely NOT open one just because an area's population is growing. I hope you are not in business.

How do you still not get this basic point? That target demographic is growing faster TOO. Why can't you get this into your skull? EVERYTHING is growing faster.

Are you underrating the cynicism of the AFL administration with so many clubs that cant pull a crowd on their own at home?

11 home games in Tas is an opportunity for tourism.
Clubs that have below average crowds are either situated in key growth areas or contribute significantly to the broadcast rights by playing the vast majority of their games as Fox exclusives in their home market.

Which category does a Tasmanian team with below average crowds fall in? Definitely not the former, very unlikely to be the latter. Thus it would seem Tassie's best chance of getting a team is to follow the path of the other non-Vic heartland teams: get a proper stadium and don't have below average crowds.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
How do you still not get this basic point? That target demographic is growing faster TOO. Why can't you get this into your skull? EVERYTHING is growing faster.
I understand your point - it is obvious. I just don't agree. For example, over 2020 and 2021, with very little overseas immigration, Tasmania's population grew at a much faster rate than the mainland. So, my point remains valid.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I understand your point - it is obvious. I just don't agree. For example, over 2020 and 2021, with very little overseas immigration, Tasmania's population grew at a much faster rate than the mainland. So, my point remains valid.

Before you were talking about raw numbers, have you gone back to percentages now because it suits your argument better?

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
So Tasmania’s population in raw numbers is growing faster than the mainlands then? Interesting
My first post in this topic today remains valid - most mainland population growth is from immigrants who are unlikely to follow AFL, and that any perceived disadvantage the Tasmania has from having less immigration (historically, not recently) should not be a factor in whether they should have a team. The rest is you talking in circles.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
My first post in this topic today remains valid - most mainland population growth is from immigrants who are unlikely to follow AFL, and that any perceived disadvantage the Tasmania has from having less immigration (historically, not recently) should not be a factor in whether they should have a team. The rest is you talking in circles.

We’re talking in circles because you constantly change the goal posts every post because what you’re posting is stupid.

The mainland is growing faster than Tasmania, fact, and you keep arguing that.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Clubs that have below average crowds are either situated in key growth areas or contribute significantly to the broadcast rights by playing the vast majority of their games as Fox exclusives in their home market.

Which category does a Tasmanian team with below average crowds fall in? Definitely not the former, very unlikely to be the latter. Thus it would seem Tassie's best chance of getting a team is to follow the path of the other non-Vic heartland teams: get a proper stadium and don't have below average crowds.

Tas is heartland quite different to development States (NSW & Q).

The problem for our game is what was a nursery of elite footballers has 'dried out', essentially from neglect since the AFL tried to take control of the game nationally. It is unique in our game & needs to be treated accordingly.
The games scheduled in Tas need to be a priority not a dumping ground.

The games scheduled in Tas need to be a priority not a dumping ground.
If your ground is a dump, it will be treated like a dumping ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jeez you’d hope so! Can’t see a Tasmanian team having much success as over time tassys population and economy will continue to fall further behind the mainland.
. Had the best performing economy in the country for the past 6 quarters place is booming at the moment. Our cricket teams have never had a drama being successful in national competitions were not the Gold Coast champ

No because without the sport being relevant in the state, they wont be playing basketball.

But basketball was growing massively BEFORE tha Jack Jumpers lobbed right?

Mate, if Luc Longley can be found in Perth in the early 90s, a Tassie kid wwith NBA talent will be spotted in the 2020s regardless of whether the JJs exist or not.

To be clear: the Jack Jumpers are great. Tassie should have its own standalone AFL team.

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
But basketball was growing massively BEFORE tha Jack Jumpers lobbed right?

Mate, if Luc Longley can be found in Perth in the early 90s, a Tassie kid wwith NBA talent will be spotted in the 2020s regardless of whether the JJs exist or not.

To be clear: the Jack Jumpers are great. Tassie should have its own standalone AFL team.
Wikipedia says he was recruited from Perth Wildcats... He wasnt just playing basketball in his lunchbreak at school. Having a pro team in the state is going to increase participation, give oppurtunities for those already participating to access better coaches, and helps retain talent in the state, and will also be good for the local bball leagues with better facilities.

I know I hadnt seen a game of basketball before the JJs first game.

There's only one non-youth development player on the JackJumpers that's a Tasmanian. NBL is a pretty high standard of basketball in a global professional context, and there's plenty of Aussies who are good enough to play Division I college ball that aren't good enough to play NBL. If you're a half-decent basketballer, you've already geared yourself up to play college, national junior championships, etc. You've already accepted travelling and moving around as part of your life, and you're going to accept that. The opportunity to "stay home" is kind of irrelavent for basketball.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Wikipedia says he was recruited from Perth Wildcats... He wasnt just playing basketball in his lunchbreak at school. Having a pro team in the state is going to increase participation, give oppurtunities for those already participating to access better coaches, and helps retain talent in the state, and will also be good for the local bball leagues with better facilities.

I know I hadnt seen a game of basketball before the JJs first game.

Bit more to the Longley story, his father Ric was at the end of his own career when the Wildcats joined the NBL & he represented them in its inaugural year 1982.
I think Rick played a few 2nds games for Claremont in the WAFL.

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Yeah you guys are right, interest in basketball in Tasmania was super high and couldnt get any higher before the Jackjumpers were started. The Jackjumpers will have zero impact on interest and participation in basketball in this state and the quality of the coaching and exposure to high performance programs that young Tasmanian basketballers will get... just like how there were heaps of Queensland and NSW Aussie Rules players in the highst level of that sport before Brisbane and Sydney joined. Those clubs made zero impact at all in their respective states.

Throughout our history every kid in Tasmania with the athletic profile to play basketball all chose basketball over the other sports like AFL even though nobody really cared about basketball. It's just magic. If you are good or could be good at basketball, you just instantly are, dont even need to have seen the game before or have any exposure to coaching and talent pathways.

Honestly we could get rid of the NBL entirely and just have kids play junior basketball at school if they feel like it and Australia would produce the exact same number and quality of international level basketballers :thumbsu:

Yeah you guys are right, interest in basketball in Tasmania was super high and couldnt get any higher before the Jackjumpers were started. The Jackjumpers will have zero impact on interest and participation in basketball in this state and the quality of the coaching and exposure to high performance programs that young Tasmanian basketballers will get... just like how there were heaps of Queensland and NSW Aussie Rules players in the highst level of that sport before Brisbane and Sydney joined. Those clubs made zero impact at all in their respective states.

Throughout our history every kid in Tasmania with the athletic profile to play basketball all chose basketball over the other sports like AFL even though nobody really cared about basketball. It's just magic. If you are good or could be good at basketball, you just instantly are, dont even need to have seen the game before or have any exposure to coaching and talent pathways.

Honestly we could get rid of the NBL entirely and just have kids play junior basketball at school if they feel like it and Australia would produce the exact same number and quality of international level basketballers :thumbsu:
You do realise that the NBL is a privately owned competition with privately owned teams that's separate from Basketball Australia and its youth development programs yeah? Nobody's saying it's not broadly good for basketball in Tassie, just that there aren't fundamentally significant changes to the nature of teenage sports development in the state by its existence. Tassie previously had and will continue to field U18 and U20 nationals team. Tassie previously had and will continue to have NBL1 teams that play the Victorian teams that are senior extensions of the youth rep teams those clubs operate, and where the development has and will continue to occur. Are the JackJumpers running an Academy? Offering additional resources (other than the development player slots) to either the Tassie NBL1 teams or Tassie state junior teams? No?

Additionally, teenagers aren't good enough to play NBL anyway, short of a Josh Giddey good enough to be a top 10 NBA pick anyway. How does an unattainable NBL spot on the JackJumpers influence a 17-year-old anyway if they're still a few years away from being good enough?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
You do realise that the NBL is a privately owned competition with privately owned teams that's separate from Basketball Australia and its youth development programs yeah? Nobody's saying it's not broadly good for basketball in Tassie, just that there aren't fundamentally significant changes to the nature of teenage sports development in the state by its existence. Tassie previously had and will continue to field U18 and U20 nationals team. Tassie previously had and will continue to have NBL1 teams that play the Victorian teams that are senior extensions of the youth rep teams those clubs operate, and where the development has and will continue to occur. Are the JackJumpers running an Academy? Offering additional resources (other than the development player slots) to either the Tassie NBL1 teams or Tassie state junior teams? No?

Additionally, teenagers aren't good enough to play NBL anyway, short of a Josh Giddey good enough to be a top 10 NBA pick anyway. How does an unattainable NBL spot on the JackJumpers influence a 17-year-old anyway if they're still a few years away from being good enough?
Basketball has half the participants of soccer in Tas and less than Aussie rules... which has declined so much. I think you will see that go up a lot. Many Tasmanians like me will have never seen a game of basketball before the JJs. Having elite players in the state, a team to care about and promote the game in schools, and better facilities will be big. No current nbl player came up through the junior system in Tas. If JJs are successful, you will see that change a lot in 10 years.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Sam Graham was formerly in charge of AFLNSW/ACT- where he attracted praise for the major growth of GR AF nos. in NSW & ACT under his reign.
He is fully aware of the power of tribalism, & the impact of having one's own local elite team & local elite pathways; & how the Swans & GWS have been a massive contributor to AF growth in NSW & ACT.

Graham was promoted to AFL HQ in 2020.
It will be very advantageous for Tas., therefore, that he will be one of the 2 joint representitives from the AFL HQ assessing the merits of adding a Tas. team as the 19th club.

(Scroll down to point 2)

[Re GR basketball nos.] I think you will see that go up a lot. Many Tasmanians like me will have never seen a game of basketball before the JJs. Having elite players in the state, a team to care about and promote the game in schools, and better facilities will be big.
Yes.

I find it very strange that the big majority of sports' fans readily acknowledge the huge importance of tribalism/GR emotional connections for the progress of their local elite team & sport- but many claim these 2 factors are not relevant to the significant decline in male GR AF in Tasmania.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Yes.

I find it very strange that the big majority of sports' fans readily acknowledge the huge importance of tribalism/GR emotional connections for the progress of their local elite team & sport- but claim these 2 factors are not relevant to the significant decline in male GR AF in Tasmania.
Yeah exactly... what sport you are interested in and decide to play as a kid has absolutely nothing to do with the sports you are exposed to. And your ability to reach the top level has nothing to do with the quality of coaches, infrastructure, competition, and ability to retain talent in your local area. It's all just based on genetics and magic. Tasmania has no NRL players, not because there is almost zero interest and representation in rugby in Tasmania, but because we just dont have the right genes for NRL in Tasmania, only people born in QLD and NSW do. But for some reason we have good cricket genes in Tasmania, not because we have a professional team in the state, but because the god of cricket blessed our state with cricket genes. It all makes total sense :thumbsu:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Only 1 Tasmanian, S. Banks, was drafted (no. 29) in 2021- ironically from the same, very small rural local club, Woodsdale, as VFL/AFL legend R. Hart.

Banks said

" I grew up training and playing footy with the Woodsdale Footy Club on a little old paddock, pretty much.”

“For my home ground to now be the MCG, it’s a big step but it’s unbelievable. I can’t wait.”

1639780753685.png

Woodsdale FC oval

Tas. is greatly overrepresented, per capita, in the AFL Team Of The Century, & AFL Hall Of Fame- but Tas. Draft nos., in quality as well as quantity, have been poor in recent years, due to AFL neglect.

Furthermore, adding to Tas.'s Draft woes, all States are having difficulty in competing against the growing nos. drafted from Vic. private schools: an increasingly fierce private schools' "football war", where many private schools have an AF hard work/AF pursuit of excellence policy.
This achieves school "glory"; & also, importantly, helps promote their Old Boys (& quickly increasing Old Girls) growing no. of adult school teams in the VAFA...& networking.

It is my understanding that other "low level AF" private schools in Vic. have enviously noted this trend; &, also, that many fathers like to watch their private school daughters play AF, cf them playing other sports.

2. AFL Tasmania 24.11.21 said

"Earlier this year, AFL Tasmania embarked on its Football Futures Project to establish a long-term vision for football across the state...

AFL Tasmania’s plan from the start was to keep the project separate to the ongoing work around the AFL license submission, to set up community football for success irrespective of what transpires with the push for a team for Tasmania. What wasn’t anticipated at the time was that Tasmania would have clarity on when a decision would be made on whether an AFL license would be granted, expected at some stage in the back half of 2022 when the AFL finalises its club funding arrangements.

It’s become clear that it is in the best interests of the game to align both pieces of work and for AFL Tasmania to work more closely with the Tasmanian Government and the Tasmanian AFL License Taskforce, an approach which is endorsed by the Government and the Taskforce".

This unity of the various AF advocates in Tasmania is also a very welcome development- & improves Tas.'s chances of becoming the 19th AFL club, c.2025.

3. I found these AFL Tas. 24.11 comments interesting, re Tas.'s chances of becoming the 19th club.
I suspect the AFL wants the Tas. govt. to provide much more funding, & on a guaranteed, long term basis, for the their 19th club.

"All parties continue to undertake the steps recommended by the Carter Review, including investigating potential models, locking down Government funding for a potential team for Tasmania and stadia investment and the AFL would work through those with the Tasmanian Government ahead of putting a final position to club presidents for a decision.

“We are at a very important juncture in the continued assessment of modelling for a potential team in Tasmania and the announcement today reflects the importance it has within AFL head office,” AFL Chief Executive Officer Gillon McLachlan said.

“Travis and Sam will lead our work, Travis having recently played a crucial leadership role in ensuring the last two AFL and AFLW seasons were successfully navigated throughout the Covid pandemic and Sam, previously holding key leadership roles across Game development and our growth in NSW, will solely focus on this project, ensuring we have a preferred position to take to the AFL Club Presidents next year (All emphases mine)”.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back