Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Travis and Sam will lead our work, Travis having recently played a crucial leadership role in ensuring the last two AFL and AFLW seasons were successfully navigated throughout the Covid pandemic and Sam, previously holding key leadership roles across Game development and our growth in NSW, will solely focus on this project, ensuring we have a preferred position to take to the AFL Club Presidents next year (All emphases mine)”.

Using NSW & Tas to grow HQ management is questionable .... its similar to Gold Coast home games being played in China/Darwin.

My first post in this topic today remains valid - most mainland population growth is from immigrants who are unlikely to follow AFL, and that any perceived disadvantage the Tasmania has from having less immigration (historically, not recently) should not be a factor in whether they should have a team. The rest is you talking in circles.
I did this about 6 months ago. Save yourself the pain. Talks about growth rate in Tasmania compared to the mainland, but doesn't want to use percentage as measurement. You know, the metric that growth is measured in, in almost any context? Have fun rofl

My first post in this topic today remains valid - most mainland population growth is from immigrants who are unlikely to follow AFL, and that any perceived disadvantage the Tasmania has from having less immigration (historically, not recently) should not be a factor in whether they should have a team. The rest is you talking in circles.
I maintain many South Asian and East Asian immigrants could be drawn to the game with the right outreach programs. But it isn't going to just happen due to them becoming absorbed into the dominant culture the way it did for Greek and Italian immigrants. The AFL hierarchy need to make a real effort on that one.

I maintain many South Asian and East Asian immigrants could be drawn to the game with the right outreach programs. But it isn't going to just happen due to them becoming absorbed into the dominant culture the way it did for Greek and Italian immigrants. The AFL hierarchy need to make a real effort on that one.

Kids playing the game at school was a big driver for post war (WW2) migrant families. The talented sports person usually can turn their skills to multiple sports, see ;) Sam Kerrs hip & shoulder to a pitch invader.

Sam Graham was formerly in charge of AFLNSW/ACT- where he attracted praise for the major growth of GR AF nos. in NSW & ACT under his reign.
He is fully aware of the power of tribalism, & the impact of having one's own local elite team & local elite pathways; & how the Swans & GWS have been a massive contributor to AF growth in NSW & ACT.

Graham was promoted to AFL HQ in 2020.
It will be very advantageous for Tas., therefore, that he will be one of the 2 joint representitives from the AFL HQ assessing the merits of adding a Tas. team as the 19th club.

(Scroll down to point 2)

Yes.

I find it very strange that the big majority of sports' fans readily acknowledge the huge importance of tribalism/GR emotional connections for the progress of their local elite team & sport- but many claim these 2 factors are not relevant to the significant decline in male GR AF in Tasmania.
Absolute madness that the afl are letting Travis Auld have anything to do with potential expansion the bloke made a terrible mess setting up the suns.

This thread is always entertaining, but the suggestion that NBL is a high standard of basketball on a global scale takes the cake. 😀

This thread is always entertaining, but the suggestion that NBL is a high standard of basketball on a global scale takes the cake. 😀
Well champ it must be a reasonable standard comp and be pretty well regarded around the world when you have first round draft picks coming here to play instead of college and Europe

I read an article that said around 8k was there for one of the days, is that wrong?
I read an article that said Collingwood have the record for the most grand final losses in the history of the AFL. Is that wrong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've played in plenty of GFs, when near on all other clubs were mothballed. Dont hear anything about the mothballed clubs.
I think if you mothball 27 grand finals you should lose your AFL license. That's about as valid an opinion as crowd attendances at an old boring sport, in a dead rubber, in the middle of a pandemic being a basis to question Tasmania's entry into the AFL.

I read an article that said around 8k was there for one of the days, is that wrong?
Hang on, your posted asking what the crowds were, when you already new. So boring. Once again, there is this thing called cOVID, which means that many who bought tickets could not go because they are sick, or in iso, or don’t want to catch it.
Your anti Tassie schtick is really, really, really boring. Come up with something new or interesting.

I think if you mothball 27 grand finals you should lose your AFL license. That's about as valid an opinion as crowd attendances at an old boring sport, in a dead rubber, in the middle of a pandemic being a basis to question Tasmania's entry into the AFL.

You genius, on GF day 2021, there were 16 clubs in mothballs. The Bulldogs lost, the mothballed clubs were no chance, my mob were no chance, only the Bulldogs & D's were a chance. Trying to slag the losing team on GF day is a step below pathetic.

Hang on, your posted asking what the crowds were, when you already new. So boring. Once again, there is this thing called cOVID, which means that many who bought tickets could not go because they are sick, or in iso, or don’t want to catch it.
Your anti Tassie schtick is really, really, really boring. Come up with something new or interesting.

You said there were 10.5k there each day, was this a lie?

You genius, on GF day 2021, there were 16 clubs in mothballs. The Bulldogs lost, the mothballed clubs were no chance, my mob were no chance, only the Bulldogs & D's were a chance. Trying to slag the losing team on GF day is a step below pathetic.
I struck a nerve with facts. Interesting... :rolleyes:

According to the above they had 9002, 8711 and 8088. I'm not sure what restrictions were in place but if it is the 10500 mentioned earlier they have had 90%, 87% and 80% capacity across the three days. That seems pretty good to me.

You said there were 10.5k there each day, was this a lie?
giphy.gif

According to the above they had 9002, 8711 and 8088. I'm not sure what restrictions were in place but if it is the 10500 mentioned earlier they have had 90%, 87% and 80% capacity across the three days. That seems pretty good to me.

Thanks for the facts, shame the poster earlier couldn't post them.

It's an okay turn out, 8000 is super small for a once in a lifetime opportunity of watching the Ashes.

The AFL certainly wouldn't be happy with 8000 crowds... You'd have to DOUBLE that at least for them to even sustain an AFL team.

Last edited:
Thanks for the facts, shame the poster earlier couldn't post them.

It's an okay turn out, 8000 is super small for a once in a lifetime opportunity of watching the Ashes.

The AFL certainly wouldn't be happy with 8000 crowds... You'd have to DOUBLE that at least for them to even sustain an AFL team.
The first three days were sold out with 14000 cap but sadly after it sold out Covid hit the state which meant thousands had to go into isolation and many more chose not to go due to the fear. I heard many people saying they couldn't go now due to this,it is the presales you need to look at and not the end attendance that was significantly affected by Covid that hit the state just before the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back