Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need really start planning for a new stadium. We need to seriously look at where the best location will be for a stadium and whether it needs a roof or is just fully enclosed.
That's what the government's doing. They've allocated $1.25m to work out the details and funding. Work on this commences in July I believe.

What's people's confidence level like on getting a Tassie team?
Mine changes from week to week lol.
I was 60/40 on it happening, but I've swung to 40/60 now that Labor has decided not to back the stadium plan. I think that could really cost us. Need both sides of politics on side to have the best shot of getting in.

Very high. I think it would almost be a PR disaster for the AFL to let it get this far if they werent very supportive of getting us in.

The roof adds a huge amount to the cost. I think they just need to make it a sheltered stadium that keeps the wind out that you can get some days near the Derwent.

Totally agree, as long as they don’t use the sail type roofing like Adelaide Oval, which fail to block both the sun and rain.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was 60/40 on it happening, but I've swung to 40/60 now that Labor has decided not to back the stadium plan. I think that could really cost us. Need both sides of politics on side to have the best shot of getting in.
Yeah. If anything is going to get in the way it will be the local politics.

It is a tough sell to build a new stadium for 6 games a year. There needs to be more to it. What would happen to Boot Park? Does cricket move to the stadium. Concerts, festivals. Its a lot of money for still not much gain.

With the incoming loss of GST money, we just don't have a budget for one unless the federal government comes to play significantly

1% after today. Rockliff is not going to agree to 1 billion in funding for a team + stadium. Why?

1. Every short-sighted Tasmanian will rip him to pieces for spending that amount of money while we are in a housing and health crisis. Labor and Greens will oppose it.
2. The stadium being required (all of a sudden) is the AFL's poison pill. They don't want a standalone AFL team in Tasmania - never have, never will. That's why they support the current Hawks/Roos deal and pushed for North to play more.
3. Other clubs don't support it. 3 are on the record, more would be opposing it privately. What rebuilding club in the bottom 6 would want to to forgo early draft picks for the next 3-4 years? Further dilution of talent, without extra revenue.

When this inevitably falls over, kick the Hawks and Roos out.

On the politics, the current government will surely have at least until mid-2024 in office. I think that's far enough away that the commitments they could make would be secure enough when the bid is being decided upon this August.

I agree that the stadium doesn't need a roof. If they feel so strongly about it though maybe provision could be made for it could be added later once the team is established and the stadium begins to repay itself.

On the politics, the current government will surely have at least until mid-2024 in office. I think that's far enough away that the commitments they could make would be secure enough when the bid is being decided upon this August.

I agree that the stadium doesn't need a roof. If they feel so strongly about it though maybe provision could be made for it could be added later once the team is established and the stadium begins to repay itself.

I think the last part is a fallacy. Most stadiums costs blow out and maintenance is usually astronomical. USA is full of smaller, cheaper stadiums that will never 'pay for themselves'.

I think the last part is a fallacy. Most stadiums costs blow out and maintenance is usually astronomical. USA is full of smaller, cheaper stadiums that will never 'pay for themselves'.
A Tasmanian AFL team is projected to bring in more than $110m of economic activity each year, along with 300 new jobs. Its not just about the revenue of the stadium itself, its what an inner-city stadium brings to the tourism and hospitality industry.

A Tasmanian AFL team is projected to bring in more than $110m of economic activity each year, along with 300 new jobs. Its not just about the revenue of the stadium itself, its what an inner-city stadium brings to the tourism and hospitality industry.
They need to go back to the drawing board though and come up with a cheaper stadium because this proposed stadium will never go ahead in Tassie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get it right now and you’ll make it back for a long time to come. Tassie/Hobart made the same mistake by not going down the Showgrounds route in the mid nineties and got stuck with that thing over the river. The city, public transport to and from the ground is the future of stadia worldwide. Not In the burbs with sfa around it to do before or after a game. Christ what’s walking distance food wise from Bellerive oval? That fish & chip shop?

As for Bartlett of course he’s going to shoot it down. It’s the way the opposition get to oppose it without officially killing off the bid. Typical politics bs. And let’s not forget he’s also has links to an opposing sport.

No AFL side and money will most likely go to Basketball in Tassie instead of footy going forward. Let’s not forget he’s president of the Hobart Chargers. Vested interest I’d say
I don't think he is the president anymore. In saying that, he is very much a Labor and basketball man.

I almost prefer spending a lot less on York Park if they want a state of the art stadium and have 80% of the matches up North. Plus, more likely to get funding there due to Bass marginal status.

It just doesn't make sense to spend that much money in this current climate. oh well, there is a lot to play out.

1% after today. Rockliff is not going to agree to 1 billion in funding for a team + stadium. Why?

1. Every short-sighted Tasmanian will rip him to pieces for spending that amount of money while we are in a housing and health crisis. Labor and Greens will oppose it.
2. The stadium being required (all of a sudden) is the AFL's poison pill. They don't want a standalone AFL team in Tasmania - never have, never will. That's why they support the current Hawks/Roos deal and pushed for North to play more.
3. Other clubs don't support it. 3 are on the record, more would be opposing it privately. What rebuilding club in the bottom 6 would want to to forgo early draft picks for the next 3-4 years? Further dilution of talent, without extra revenue.

When this inevitably falls over, kick the Hawks and Roos out.
You do realise every state in Australia also have failing health systems don’t you blame the federal government not state. We spent over 500 million on extending the Hobart hospital to double the size . Tasmania are allowed to actually have a life as much ass any other state you know

You do realise every state in Australia also have failing health systems don’t you blame the federal government not state. We spent over 500 million on extending the Hobart hospital to double the size . Tasmania are allowed to actually have a life as much ass any other state you know
Yes, I realise this. That's why I said criticism would come from short-sighted Tasmanians.

Did you read comments on news articles during the election? Every announcement was greeted with - 'why spending money on this when the hospital needs it', etc, etc. Politicians won't risk their jobs for an AFL team.

Yes, I realise this. That's why I said criticism would come from short-sighted Tasmanians.

Did you read comments on news articles during the election? Every announcement was greeted with - 'why spending money on this when the hospital needs it', etc, etc. Politicians won't risk their jobs for an AFL team.
I wouldn’t be so shore I remember people complaining about us spending so much to rebuild the dec to get a nbl team was a waste of money ect you don’t hear those people complaining now do you . Once the stadium is built and people actually see the benefits it brings people will change opinions pretty quick

The AFL and the premier have formed a separate group from the taskforce to fast track the development of a new stadium. It will find a potential site for a stadium and work on getting it done as soon as possible.

I wouldn’t be so shore I remember people complaining about us spending so much to rebuild the dec to get a nbl team was a waste of money ect you don’t hear those people complaining now do you . Once the stadium is built and people actually see the benefits it brings people will change opinions pretty quick
one was for $60 mil which was a much-needed spruce up of an old relic with a guaranteed NBL team playing the majority of matches at it and can be used for loads of other entertainment options, something which was very needed for Hobart. It is also part of new development.

It is very different to a new (at least) $750 mil stadium when there is already a stadium that had money put into it recently. Plus, it wouldn't host all the matches and wouldn't be used anywhere near as much.

I just don't see the need or demand for it. For Gil to compare it to Adelaide or Perth is just not the same. Perth and Adelaide will host test matches, soccer friendlies and other sporting events. there is a demand for that on those cities. It won't happen to Hobart as there are already better options on the Mainland and this stadium wouldn't change that.

There needs to be a cheaper way of doing this, or it won't get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back