Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth Wildcats stomp everyone and get sellouts from time to time - basketball is hardly WA's no.1 sport.

Suspect basketball and soccer are similar in that they're junior participation sports when it comes to an Australian context.

Perth Wildcats stomp everyone and get sellouts from time to time - basketball is hardly WA's no.1 sport.

Suspect basketball and soccer are similar in that they're junior participation sports when it comes to an Australian context.
Yeah I don’t think you realise how much people down here are completely done with helping keep fifo clubs afloat and the hate that is building towards gill and the AFL . Larry kestleman is buying the entertainment centre in Hobart and the surrounding land and spending 150-200 million on re developing it he stated it’s a huge opportunity to get in before the other codes

Outs- Suns (omitted).

Ins- Devils (debut).
Yepp! Suns are a waste of time and based in a place full of retirees, itinerants and tourists. No disrespect. The Q Clash is a non-event and I cannot see Queenslanders ever embracing AFL like Tasmanians. It is a slap in the face to Tasmanians that there is no team in AFL Tasmania, and I don't counct Hawthorn or North

Yepp! Suns are a waste of time and based in a place full of retirees, itinerants and tourists. No disrespect. The Q Clash is a non-event and I cannot see Queenslanders ever embracing AFL like Tasmanians. It is a slap in the face to Tasmanians that there is no team in AFL Tasmania, and I don't counct Hawthorn or North
I'm with you on the Qclash, does zero for me, I get more excited for clashes with the big Melbourne clubs, that could change if the Suns ever come good though.

I'd be confident that a Tassie team would find enough sponsorship and members to be a success on and off field, I also think they'd need a bigger stadium, could Blundstone capacity be expanded?

Outs- Suns (omitted).

Ins- Devils (debut).
Move Suns license to Tasmania thread No. 476.

I can't see the AFL moving us after putting money into the money into the joint.
Big news down here today with NBL looking like having a team in place here within 2 years with and Larry kestleman stating he will make basketball the number one sport in town any one think this might get the AFL moving ??
They moving the team from the NZ NBL over the Oz NBL?

I can't see the AFL moving us after putting money into the money into the joint.

No it wont be happening, just my opinion, I don't think the Suns should have ever been bought into the competition, the Suns wont be going anywhere or away now, the AFL would never admit defeat.

The idea that one sport doing well does not mean there is an opening for a different sport.
Many BF posters believe junior participation numbers equate to future bums on seats at the highest level, I dont.

Kestleman puts his own money up, he'll make it work - AFL footy is more ego driven at the highest level IMHO, bureaucracy central.

Support your team Taswegians, pack games out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think so buy the sounds of it kestleman himself will own the club to begin with like he did with Melbourne United and the bullets once it’s up and running smoothly he will look to find a new owner

Heart says yes but my head says no. It would be great to have a Tassie team but there's only about 500K people there with limited future growth so is it even financially viable.

The most viable option might be to re-locate a Melbourne based franchise so you can try and encapsulate the existing fan base but that's a difficult move to pull off.

Heart says yes but my head says no. It would be great to have a Tassie team but there's only about 500K people there with limited future growth so is it even financially viable.

The most viable option might be to re-locate a Melbourne based franchise so you can try and encapsulate the existing fan base but that's a difficult move to pull off.

And yet how many great AFL players have come from that 500K supporter base? Geelong has the same population area and they are one of the most successful teams in the comp on and off the ground. More than enough to keep a good team afloat even if you just have them based in Hobart. They would only be playing 11 games there a season. With North and Hawks playing games down there they already nearly play that many anyway, why not just their own club?

I also don't think they would have problems attracting players because the state loves the sport and would be all over the players just like SA and WA. There is absolutely no reason there shouldn't be an AFL club there other than the AFL worrying about filling their pockets and taking the sport overseas to countries that simply don't care about it. It's a disgrace and an insult to Tasmania and the people who love the game.

And yet how many great AFL players have come from that 500K supporter base? Geelong has the same population area and they are one of the most successful teams in the comp on and off the ground. More than enough to keep a good team afloat even if you just have them based in Hobart. They would only be playing 11 games there a season. With North and Hawks playing games down there they already nearly play that many anyway, why not just their own club?

I also don't think they would have problems attracting players because the state loves the sport and would be all over the players just like SA and WA. There is absolutely no reason there shouldn't be an AFL club there other than the AFL worrying about filling their pockets and taking the sport overseas to countries that simply don't care about it. It's a disgrace and an insult to Tasmania and the people who love the game.
I clearly said I support the idea but the AFL isn't going to greenlight it if there isn't a profit to be made. The money they need to sink into it will need to generate a healthy return in the long run.

I'd love a Tassie and NT team but I'm being realistic.

I clearly said I support the idea but the AFL isn't going to greenlight it if there isn't a profit to be made. The money they need to sink into it will need to generate a healthy return in the long run.

I'd love a Tassie and NT team but I'm being realistic.

and how exactly can they argue that Gold Coast is generating them money? That club is bleeding money like a stuck pig.

and how exactly can they argue that Gold Coast is generating them money? That club is bleeding money like a stuck pig.
Th Gold Coast area is one of the fastest growing populations in the country so they wanted to exploit that long term. It's not a short term money spinner.

Th Gold Coast area is one of the fastest growing populations in the country so they wanted to exploit that long term. It's not a short term money spinner.

half of the residence that call Gold Coast home don't actually live there. If they do they are either old retired people or care little about sport or AFL. The figures they use to warrant a team there are false as all the other codes have found out. Yes it might one day in the future provide something but they would've wasted so much money in the mean time getting to that point it wont be worth it.

Big news down here today with NBL looking like having a team in place here within 2 years with and Larry kestleman stating he will make basketball the number one sport in town any one think this might get the AFL moving ??
No. The AFL doesn't give a toss about a divided market with under 2% of national GDP; and even less in media rights money. Even if they lost the state completely - a highly unliekly prospect, the NBL Devils didn't make a dent last time - it wouldn't matter to them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back