Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Those of us who support a team in Tas should not be drawn into criticism of Gold Coast/Giants expansion as a if its one or the other - the decisions to expand in rugby country are about the growth of the game nationally.

Tassie should get a team & that team should be at the expense of a team in Melbourne just as Gold Coast should be a relocated licence - you dont need to be Einstein to know a 16 team comp would be a higher standard comp than 18 teams as 2012 will demonstrate.

To those who put the Melbourne clubs ahead of the national comp :thumbsdown:

But not at the expense of history and compassion.

West Aus took it for the national comp, so did SA, suck it up buttercup, wallowing in the parochial glory of yesteryear, rustbucket stuff ... you'd be under the illusion that a state based comp premiership is equal to an a national comp title.
Muddle headed wombats ...

Port supporters/Bombons supporters/East Freo are entitled to be proud of their achievements in state based comps ...

To those who put two Q teams and two NSW teams ahead of the National comp :thumbsdown:

U think Tasmania isnt going to be expensive? LOL. in 25+ years time they will be (comparatively) TINY compared to the rest of the comp, and with the footy department arms war they will be very very costly indeed.

GWS at least has the potential to grow into something of good size, in the process gaining the AFL huge profits from converting some of the NSW market (most or 2nd most important in the country).

Ur a fool if u think Tasmania will be cheap

U think Tasmania isnt going to be expensive? LOL. in 25+ years time they will be (comparatively) TINY compared to the rest of the comp, and with the footy department arms war they will be very very costly indeed.

GWS at least has the potential to grow into something of good size, in the process gaining the AFL huge profits from converting some of the NSW market (most or 2nd most important in the country).

You are trolling again

And what makes your opinion so much more valid than others?

Two teams in NSW and Queensland is about having games every week in those areas + local rivalry. TV pays for it. The comment made earlier about these two new sides having no relationship with a Tassie team is right - they are not either/or options as they were long term business investments.

I would love Tassie to have a team (Canberra too as the National capital). How to get there and it what form? For the next few years at least new teams will not be an option, so for now it is a couple of part time teams or a relocation if someone gets into big trouble. I think if the Giants bomb big time (they might) then they will relocate to Canberra.

That leaves a failed Melbourne team - but I cant see it. Maybe more North games is the most Tassie can expect for the next few years. However, if North don't invest the time and effort into the Hobart market that will fail too. It will not be a reflection on Tassie, it will be a reflection on Norths lack of commitment if it happens. I hope North really put the effort in, it could be good for North and for Hobart.

Two teams in NSW and Queensland is about having games every week in those areas + local rivalry. TV pays for it. The comment made earlier about these two new sides having no relationship with a Tassie team is right - they are not either/or options as they were long term business investments.

I would love Tassie to have a team (Canberra too as the National capital). How to get there and it what form? For the next few years at least new teams will not be an option, so for now it is a couple of part time teams or a relocation if someone gets into big trouble. I think if the Giants bomb big time (they might) then they will relocate to Canberra.

That leaves a failed Melbourne team - but I cant see it. Maybe more North games is the most Tassie can expect for the next few years. However, if North don't invest the time and effort into the Hobart market that will fail too. It will not be a reflection on Tassie, it will be a reflection on Norths lack of commitment if it happens. I hope North really put the effort in, it could be good for North and for Hobart.

As said, I agree with the long term strategy of the CC/GWS move. Both wont be easy given current economic circumstances. The long term strength of any club or code is reliant on its supporters. Sponsors & TV are very important but its the supporter who puts his hard earned across the turnstyle & his (or her:D) bum on the seat that is the real measure of the health of the club or code.
With hawks & roos we have two rentaclubs. They are here simply for the money. This is NOT good for the long term health of the game in Tasmania, nor the AFL IMO.
Its the difference between having equity in your own home or just paying rent. The owner is more likely to care for what he owns & invest in it. The renter would think twice about investing money & emotion into what he rents simply because with rentals you can be turfed out at anytime.
Thank you:D

I have to say, I love my Aussie Rules but I'm not a big fan the AFL as an organisation. Being originally from NSW and now living in QLD, I think it's great that there is more opportunities for supporters to attend games. Rivalries are great for the game too. But the AFL props up the QLD and NSW clubs almost every year, because there simply isn't the following for the sport in these two states. If you look at the current membership figures, you will see that these four sides have the four lowest membership figures (before you say, that's because these sides are at the bottom of the ladder, I realise this and Sydney were finalists but are still only 1K up on Brisbane). I can see that the AFL has viewed expansion into these areas as having a 'higher ceiling' in terms of profit. However, the majority of people in the northern states, just don't follow Australian Rules. Tasmanians love their football and I would argue that they would follow a team regardless of where it was located, be it Hobart, Launceston or anywhere else. It's just dumb, the AFL is more about turning a profit, than providing a spectacle to the supporters. Unfortunately it won't change until the current administration is gone.

It wont change whichever administration is in... business is about profits. If the AFL didnt care about profits they would be in big trouble and much much smaller than they are now.

Its a mutli billionaire dollar industry, and u cant run it successfully using ur heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wont change whichever administration is in... business is about profits. If the AFL didnt care about profits they would be in big trouble and much much smaller than they are now.

Its a mutli billionaire dollar industry, and u cant run it successfully using ur heart.

Then why do they continue with so many teams based in Melbourne that continually struggle for support?

I have to say, I love my Aussie Rules but I'm not a big fan the AFL as an organisation. Being originally from NSW and now living in QLD, I think it's great that there is more opportunities for supporters to attend games. Rivalries are great for the game too. But the AFL props up the QLD and NSW clubs almost every year, because there simply isn't the following for the sport in these two states. If you look at the current membership figures, you will see that these four sides have the four lowest membership figures (before you say, that's because these sides are at the bottom of the ladder, I realise this and Sydney were finalists but are still only 1K up on Brisbane). I can see that the AFL has viewed expansion into these areas as having a 'higher ceiling' in terms of profit. However, the majority of people in the northern states, just don't follow Australian Rules. Tasmanians love their football and I would argue that they would follow a team regardless of where it was located, be it Hobart, Launceston or anywhere else. It's just dumb, the AFL is more about turning a profit, than providing a spectacle to the supporters. Unfortunately it won't change until the current administration is gone.
Good post, the AFL has enough money to prop up these new milkers. They will always use their coffers to follow an agenda. Tasmania suffers because of ego's etc. Too late for common sense now, they are on a path. Lucky for GWS & GC the money is in abundance.

Good post, the AFL has enough money to prop up these new milkers. They will always use their coffers to follow an agenda. Tasmania suffers because of ego's etc. Too late for common sense now, they are on a path. Lucky for GWS & GC the money is in abundance.

Good post you think, I reckon its sad, SAD because there is little to NO understanding of the real world.
I'm all for a Tassie club & it should involve reducing the # of clubs in Melbourne - they are in the so called footy heartland & afdter a 100 years plus cant turn a profit. I dont support relocation, take the franchise off the Melbourne club & give it to the Taswegians.

For real.

Good post you think, I reckon its sad, SAD because there is little to NO understanding of the real world.
I'm all for a Tassie club & it should involve reducing the # of clubs in Melbourne - they are in the so called footy heartland & afdter a 100 years plus cant turn a profit. I dont support relocation, take the franchise off the Melbourne club & give it to the Taswegians.

No, I get that Tasmania doesn't have the projected growth figures of NSW or QLD and that the AFL is a business, who's main objective is to turn a profit.
I just think the AFL has some bad information on the support for the two new franchises. They'll make money when they win, that's how all of the northern state's sporting teams work. These two states are full of bandwagoners. From what i can see, Tasmanians would hang around, through good and bad times, even if it's only for the fact that they have been without a top flight team for so long. I agree with your statement regarding relocation. Take the license off of a Melbourne side. From what I read Tasmania doesn't want a relocated North or Hawthorn.

No, I get that Tasmania doesn't have the projected growth figures of NSW or QLD and that the AFL is a business, who's main objective is to turn a profit.
I just think the AFL has some bad information on the support for the two new franchises. They'll make money when they win, that's how all of the northern state's sporting teams work. These two states are full of bandwagoners. From what i can see, Tasmanians would hang around, through good and bad times, even if it's only for the fact that they have been without a top flight team for so long. I agree with your statement regarding relocation. Take the license off of a Melbourne side. From what I read Tasmania doesn't want a relocated North or Hawthorn.
The AFL is a not for profit organization is it not? So it's main objective is certainly not to turn a profit.

It would be interesting to look at the AFL's constitution, to see what its stated objectives actually are.

The AFL is a not for profit organization is it not? So it's main objective is certainly not to turn a profit.

They might call themselves that because all their profit goes back into grassroots and the clubs ect ect, so they still are just as eager for money as any other company to grow/strengthen the game

They might call themselves that because all their profit goes back into grassroots and the clubs ect ect, so they still are just as eager for money as any other company to grow/strengthen the game

Then why do they support so many 'unprofitable' ventures like some of the continually struggling clubs in Melbourne? They could go back & play VFL footy where they came from.
The move into Western Sydney is a long term strategic endeavour. They would have done a lot of study on that one. The Gold coast is a shiny object & has long hypnotised all sorts of sports. I hope the Suns make it. Interesting to see if the soccer GC franchise will keep going for much longer.
Footy has been played & supported in Tassie for nearly as long as Victoria. We've been kicked in the face by Victorian footy administrators for nearly as long.
Having to buy cast off matches from struggling AFL clubs is an embarrassment for the AFL IMO. Its a very poor look for a so called professional organisation.

Then why do they support so many 'unprofitable' ventures like some of the continually struggling clubs in Melbourne? They could go back & play VFL footy where they came from.
The move into Western Sydney is a long term strategic endeavour. They would have done a lot of study on that one. The Gold coast is a shiny object & has long hypnotised all sorts of sports. I hope the Suns make it. Interesting to see if the soccer GC franchise will keep going for much longer.
Footy has been played & supported in Tassie for nearly as long as Victoria. We've been kicked in the face by Victorian footy administrators for nearly as long.
Having to buy cast off matches from struggling AFL clubs is an embarrassment for the AFL IMO. Its a very poor look for a so called professional organisation.

Because if they removed those clubs they would have less games meaning less tv rights money, plus they would lose supporters and anger many more. Plus they have the capacity to expand well beyond what tasmania does. For instance the western suburbs (bulldogs region) is the fastest growing in melbourne so in 10 years they could easily be much much bigger, whilst tasmania is not growing anywhere near as fast.

Its not embarrassing or a bad look. Noone apart from an angry tasmanian would ever say this is embarrassing for a team to play some home games in tasmania. Even thugly league trolls just shrug and go... so? Tasmania wants footy, teams want money. WOW who woulda thought? no idea how u can say its unproffessional as well, ur just sour obviouslly and its clouding ur judgement.

Because if they removed those clubs they would have less games meaning less tv rights money, plus they would lose supporters and anger many more. Plus they have the capacity to expand well beyond what tasmania does. For instance the western suburbs (bulldogs region) is the fastest growing in melbourne so in 10 years they could easily be much much bigger, whilst tasmania is not growing anywhere near as fast.

Its not embarrassing or a bad look. Noone apart from an angry tasmanian would ever say this is embarrassing for a team to play some home games in tasmania. Even thugly league trolls just shrug and go... so? Tasmania wants footy, teams want money. WOW who woulda thought? no idea how u can say its unproffessional as well, ur just sour obviouslly and its clouding ur judgement.
Tasmania want footy and instead get the slops. Which is all that Hawthorn and North playing down there is. Why do I say that? Because the arrangement is not giving the majority of the population anything of interest to go along to watch. Tell me this - as a Collingwood supporter, if you were living in Tasmania, how often would you rush along to watch Hawthorn play Fremantle, or Port Adelaide, etc before you got bored by it all? Once? Twice?

And yet people like you are telling the Tasmanian population in essence that they should be happy with being this being dished up to them and furthermore be thankful for it. Despite the fact that the vast majority of the population don't support North, Hawthorn or the non-Victorian sides they invariably play down there.

For all the aspersions you cast on others here ("angry Tasmanians", ffs give me a break) you are even worse. You don't even live in the place, you never have from what I gather and yet you are here professing to know it all when it comes to what Tasmanians want, what is best for them, why they can't and don't deserve a side and so on. And you make it worse by continually professing to speak in terms of facts when the vast majority of what you write is opinion.

Now, the fact that Tassie doesn't have its own side isn't your fault. Football Tasmania, which should be standing up for the game there, is a disgrace. The general Tasmanian population's apathy towards demanding its own side is shameful. And don't get me started on the Tasmanian government. But people like you don't help at all, by constantly talking down a Tasmanian side to the point of it being an obsession, when you could do the opposite. Talk about a glass half-empty guy.......:rolleyes:

And yet people like you are telling the Tasmanian population in essence that they should be happy with being this being dished up to them and furthermore be thankful for it. Despite the fact that the vast majority of the population don't support North, Hawthorn or the non-Victorian sides they invariably play down there.

For all the aspersions you cast on others here ("angry Tasmanians", ffs give me a break) you are even worse. You don't even live in the place, you never have from what I gather and yet you are here professing to know it all when it comes to what Tasmanians want, what is best for them, why they can't and don't deserve a side and so on. And you make it worse by continually professing to speak in terms of facts when the vast majority of what you write is opinion.

Now, the fact that Tassie doesn't have its own side isn't your fault. Football Tasmania, which should be standing up for the game there, is a disgrace. The general Tasmanian population's apathy towards demanding its own side is shameful. And don't get me started on the Tasmanian government. But people like you don't help at all, by constantly talking down a Tasmanian side to the point of it being an obsession, when you could do the opposite. Talk about a glass half-empty guy.......:rolleyes:

U continue to put words into my mouth i never said to suit ur point... im not saying they should be happy with the football that they get, just said purely and simpley they asked for football and they got some football, so how is it an embarrassment? thats what i said so how about u take it for what it is and not change it to suit urself.

Its fairly obvious what tasmanians want, their own team. all ive said is my opinion as to why GWS/GC are far better options than Tasmania, also i've numerously stated i would like to see a tasmanian team in the future. but u think because i've listed points as to why a tasmanian team isnt the best option now i hate tasmania and then u come out and attack me. This is a thread to discuss a tasmanian team, so im sorry for putting my opinion which is different to urs, im clearly borderline obsessed on a team that doesnt even exist. (maybe im just bored coz its off season).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back