Tasmania Tasmanian AFL Team, could it happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
and in 20/30 years when GWS is pulling 30K (like Sydney is) and Tas is still only getting 20K?

Better tell the AFL. west Sydney stadium cant hold 30k. and they are letting the Olympic stadium go

They'd be very very happy if they got 20k PAYING customers by then

Way to miss the point.

Who do you think has a better chance of increasing their crowds?

A Tas team drawing roughly 10% of the locals each week, or a GWS team drawing 0.3%?

Nice way to find a flaw with tassie having significantly more solid support and crowd.

How much $$$ will the potential bring in each week?

There's really no commercial reason for Tassie to get a team, Tassie TV ratings are strong so it won't add anything to the broadcast rights, crowds won't be strong given the distance between the 2 main city's, and they would have all sorts of trouble with player retention because it's a shithole.

The 'state' doesnt need to own anything. It doesnt even own its own state league. TSL clubs are owned by their members.
Perhaps 'ownership' as a metaphor to locals supporting the team with memberships, sponsorships & attendances. Its that personal support, 'taking ownership' of their own team. Thats the best model for a possible club here.
A 'relocated club' would find that model harder to achieve for a generation or 3. Their is no real 'ownership' of Hawthorn. Most people buy a membership only as a means of cheaper tickets. The same, if not more so, for North Melbourne.
This was my point. Not as a direct ownership but the ''ownership'' by the fans towards a specific image which they can switch allegiances to.

There's really no commercial reason for Tassie to get a team, Tassie TV ratings are strong so it won't add anything to the broadcast rights, crowds won't be strong given the distance between the 2 main city's, and they would have all sorts of trouble with player retention because it's a shithole.

Shithole! Geez mate you live in the city with the terrorists, not me.

Yeah probably a bit harsh, I meant for your average AFL player.

And no, I don't live in Melbourne.

Yes it was & quite wrong. Small doesnt automatically mean shithole. Its often the opposite in fact. So where do you live? Im quite happy to say where I live. & Ive also lived in Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane for work. Everywhere has good & not so good aspects to them.

Yes it was & quite wrong. Small doesnt automatically mean shithole. Its often the opposite in fact. So where do you live? Im quite happy to say where I live. & Ive also lived in Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane for work. Everywhere has good & not so good aspects to them.

I'm in Benalla ATM, but I've been around, especially in NE vic, Myrtleford is my favourite place, but it wouldn't be if I was young and on an AFL list.

Nice way to find a flaw with tassie having significantly more solid support and crowd.

How much $$$ will the potential bring in each week?

You don't think that the AFL looks at these things long term?

Potential brings in nothing for now...Like most investments, it takes time to generate returns.

Personally, I think they should have held off on GWS/GC until Sydney/Brisbane showed they were able to stand on their own, but the AFL decided to double down it's bet on those markets because they look decades ahead, and commit hundreds of millions to those states on the belief that growing the support base is for the good of the game.

Tasmania on the other hand would also require a continual, albeit smaller, subsidy to operate and the longer term outlook would have been that that sum would grow.

So choose between..
big investment, likely to decrease as time goes on.
and
small subsidy, likely to increase as time goes on.

Better tell the AFL. west Sydney stadium cant hold 30k. and they are letting the Olympic stadium go

They'd be very very happy if they got 20k PAYING customers by then

Curious how any mention about Tas grounds having capacity of 20k gets immediately told that they can be expanded, while GWS & GC's grounds, which were built with expansion in mind (lots of empty space) are somehow unable to be changed.

I'm sure the AFL would be disappointed if in 30 years GWS was only getting 20K crowds (except maybe in bad years..if the AFL lets them have any).

Curious how any mention about Tas grounds having capacity of 20k gets immediately told that they can be expanded, while GWS & GC's grounds, which were built with expansion in mind (lots of empty space) are somehow unable to be changed.

I'm sure the AFL would be disappointed if in 30 years GWS was only getting 20K crowds (except maybe in bad years..if the AFL lets them have any).

I'm sure over that time there will be the odd season where we are merely scraping into the top 8.

Aren't there plans to expand GCs ground for the comm games anyway?

Your last point suggests you agree this cant happen for the northern teams without confected success. but even if they did, there wouldnt be enough success to go around the four teams at any given team, which would mean nothing left over for the other 14.

Take now, we have fairly good success in NSW, but Qld is a basket case. And only one team is close to paying its way

Do you think clubs would suddenly be in favor if another team came in?

If it's someone else's home game, then yes.

You don't hear too much opposition to Thursday night football because most games are played outside of Victoria. Start playing North v interstate opposition and wait for the whining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't there plans to expand GCs ground for the comm games anyway?

Your last point suggests you agree this cant happen for the northern teams without confected success. but even if they did, there wouldnt be enough success to go around the four teams at any given team, which would mean nothing left over for the other 14.

Take now, we have fairly good success in NSW, but Qld is a basket case. And only one team is close to paying its way

Yes...That's partly why I have issues with the AFLs strategy in those states.

I understand the goal in putting those teams there (growing the game as a whole), but the means (perverting the integrity of the competition) seem counter productive.

QLD will pick up...GC has partly just had bad luck, and the money the AFL puts into development up there means the academies will start having an on field effect soon enough.

If Benalla had an AFL team with $10mill salary cap on offer you'd happily play for the Benalla bandicoots

Ask St Kilda about Seaford sometime. Evidently the players despised it.

In any case, its not that simple. You know its not that simple. Salary isnt everything, its also about opportunities, lifestyle, family, facilities etc etc

If it's someone else's home game, then yes.

You don't hear too much opposition to Thursday night football because most games are played outside of Victoria. Start playing North v interstate opposition and wait for the whining.

While I agree that non Vic teams getting the advantage of being the home team for such games would decrease the whining, the reason it was accepted was the timing...The were all after breaks (start of season, byes). The only exception being rnd17, where Sydney hosted Hawthorn, with Hawthorn having played the previous Thursday and Sydney on the Friday.

Bit hard to Schedule 11 Monday games that way.

Ask St Kilda about Seaford sometime. Evidently the players despised it.

In any case, its not that simple. You know its not that simple. Salary isnt everything, its also about opportunities, lifestyle, family, facilities etc etc

A bit tongue in cheek is all that was.
Seaford is a suburb. Hardly any go home factor their. Ive no idea about it as a facility.
Success & a good culture has a lot to do with player attraction. Brisbane 2000 v Brisbane 2016 being a case in point.
Lifestyle is touted as an attraction for the GC. It hasnt worked for any sport as yet.
GWS has the gift of quality players, AFL money & the opportunity of winning its first flag as an attraction.

Won't even support test cricket?
Blame CA, not us, why would you schedule cricket in Hobart in Novemer? It might be the most bipolar month on our calender.
It's 30 degrees today, it was 14 yesterday.
Jan-March is perfect weather here, seldom rains.
People will rock up for 3 hours of footy in the rain, a whole day of test cricket, the game that stops in the rain?
No.
Mate, I'm not referring to just last week ..... but the previous few test matches played at Bellerive. Numbers tell the story.

I remember when Tassie supported Sheffield Shield strongly in Devonport and Launceston but when it solely located in Hobart, the support declined quickly. Take a look at how many people watch Shield matches at Bellerive and you will see what I mean.

I will be interested to compare how the Noth experiment goes as opposed to Hawthorn at Launceston.

Mate, I'm not referring to just last week ..... but the previous few test matches played at Bellerive. Numbers tell the story.

I remember when Tassie supported Sheffield Shield strongly in Devonport and Launceston but when it solely located in Hobart, the support declined quickly. Take a look at how many people watch Shield matches at Bellerive and you will see what I mean.

I will be interested to compare how the Noth experiment goes as opposed to Hawthorn at Launceston.

Ok, well, some numbers perhaps?

I went to cricket at Devonport, Launceston & Hobart. The facities at Bellerive from 1986 onwards were far superior to the others.
Attendances fell away, like they did everywhere, in the 1990s. They dont play shield cricket at the G anymore for the same reason.
They wont play at Aurora because 4 day cricket needs Extra facilities. ODD & T20 are far more popular & Aurora would ok as a venue if the drop in wickets are up to scratch.

Apologies in advance if this was discussed earlier in the thread - I didn't look, but I've been following some of the narrative around a Tassie A-league licence

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...n/news-story/d732a4f7519d1948e53788826289b5da
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/07167ebca682bfc2ffd625f66a4bbdb3

Could this be a bit of an "up yours" to the AFL and, more to the point, IF the Tassie bid gets up, could it force the AFL to act?

Personally, I am for a Tassie team (but can completely understand why the AFL went with GWS and Gold Coast). Given AFL ownership of Etihad and the fact that Melbourne is the fastest growing city in the country, I think all 10 VIC clubs are more than safe now - so, barring a relocated GWS or GC failure, it would have to be a new team. Together with another team (as you would want to do it in pairs to avoid a bye) - but that is a discussion for another day/thread.

Personally, I am for a Tassie team (but can completely understand why the AFL went with GWS and Gold Coast). Given AFL ownership of Etihad and the fact that Melbourne is the fastest growing city in the country, I think all 10 VIC clubs are more than safe now - so, barring a relocated GWS or GC failure, it would have to be a new team. Together with another team (as you would want to do it in pairs to avoid a bye) - but that is a discussion for another day/thread.

Don't follow the soccer so did not comment or read the articles but in terms of AFL, I agree with your general thoughts with Melbourne population grown the thoughts of late 1980s and most of 1990s that 11 clubs in Melbourne could not continue and get down to about 8, I think are long gone. 10 clubs look like it will stay. Still not beyond possible with change of direction in club someone like North hop up and leave to another location as Kangaroos. Doubt it now though. I think it is best now Tassie get their own club from scratch just like Eagles, Power, Giants and Suns created. When is the question? I think if Perth population can keep increasing maybe there would be some chance in a decade that a Tassie team and another Perth club joined in similar period to take it to 20 clubs. Perth I believe is now over 2 million population so a third club I doubted only a few years ago I see as more realistic in medium to long term. Probably a lot closer than a 3rd club in Sydney. I see that as more like 30 years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back