Tasmania Tasmanian AFL Team, could it happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Government's havent helped to fund every stadium that the AFL plays in? And the Tasmanian Government isn't directly funding every AFL game down there?

So you missed or ignored my point about sharing facilities? About the priorities of infrastructure funding?
I said nothing about not playing A-league. Dont be so defensive.

Once again soccer want a massive handout for themselves. The two biggest national sports share facilities at Bellerive Oval.

Soccer could quite easily coexist at NHO at a lot less cost.

Its just amazing what shyte politicians come out with. I guess its not their money & gets them in the news.

Given the importance of so many other projects here, like cable car, light rail, Road infrastructure redevelopment, ageing water supply & sewerage systems, Macquarie point redevelopment etc etc.
Wouldnt just be soccer which would benefit. The rugby codes would benefit greatly, even on a ground roots level. The sad fact is, if a Tassie team drew an A league team in the FFA Cup, the game would have to be hosted on an Oval(York or Boot) because we dont have a stadium with strong enough lights for TV coverage.

Oval grounds are poor places to watch these sports and highly unsuitable long term. Bellerive especially with its cricket pitch. NHO is unique due to its size. but it is from the 1940's and perhaps it will be cheaper to just completely rebuild a new stadium.

We dont have a facility capable of hosting any credible high-level rectangular sports. We will never get the chance to host the Socceroos, Wallabies NRL, super Rugby matches etc etc. Plus, if done right, it can overtake the DEC as the hosting facility for concerts and other events. and it will actually be in the city, a unique situation for Hobart entertainment infrastructure. Of course, it would still need a regular professional team playing there for half a year for it to be even worthwhile but that requirement wasnt really required for York and (to a much lesser extent) Boot Park.

If this bid fails, and chances are it will, then this potential money earmarked will go towards probably upgrading/replacing the DEC and towards the NBL bid when that gets serious.

Last edited:
So you missed or ignored my point about sharing facilities? About the priorities of infrastructure funding?
I said nothing about not playing A-league. Dont be so defensive.
Cable Car will never be built. would be great if it did and would get my full support over anything else in this city.

Hobart traffic problems wont be fixed with light rail. No, it will only be fixed when they make a detour around the city for the people of Kingston to go to Launny/Glenorchy. but due to geography, that will be decades away, if ever and cost a lot.

water is always a problem. Tas Water was meant to fix that.

We have 12 senators, 5 HORs(which per captia is higher than any other state). they cant threaten organisations. But they are mighty useful in getting money from Canberra. :p

EDIT: didnt want to make a new post. But an A-league side would share York Park as its northern base for 2-5 (?) games a season. But you cant do that with Bellerive long term due to the cricket.

Last edited:

Cable Car will never be built. would be great if it did and would get my full support over anything else in this city.

Hobart traffic problems wont be fixed with light rail. No, it will only be fixed when they make a detour around the city for the people of Kingston to go to Launny/Glenorchy. but due to geography, that will be decades away, if ever and cost a lot.

We have 12 senators, 5 HORs(which per captia is higher than any other state). they cant threaten organisations. But they are mighty useful in getting money from Canberra. :p

EDIT: didnt want to make a new post. But an A-league side would share York Park as its northern base for 2-5 (?) games a season. But you cant do that with Bellerive long term due to the cricket.

I think you are miss informed re these projects.

Also cricket will be played at York Park. Almost certainly by next summer.

Do you have a problem with a-league playing at NHO? It already has a first rate surface. It wouldnt need a lot doing to it

My mistake, a week out!
My posts to you were 18.2 (464) & 21.2 (479)

The comments, of course, were not legally binding -but they were made by AFL CEO's & have moral weight. People have a right to believe they were genuine.
The 12 Tas. Senators, if sufficiently aggrieved by the AFL, COULD act in unison against it. Would the AFL want to risk such an tactic against it by these senators? Would the AFL want to infuriate the Tas. Govt.also? How would the AFL regard Tas govt support for an A League team being established there -a repeat of Canberra c. 80's?
Surely the AFL would prefer these 12 Senators have a favourable disposition to the AFL.

The financial modelling by Eslake & others showed the financial strength of having a team in Tasmania, playing in Hobart & Lonny.

It is in AF's interest, & the AFL's DIRECT interest, obviously, to revive the Tas. production line of champions & many great players which existed until the 90's -or are you indifferent to the plight of Tas. football?

Your analogy does not make sense- keep the WHOLE Tas. population "on side"for AF when the next decision is made to expand the comp. (probably in 10-20 years)

OK, A reply to those 2 posts...one word...Source?

They are useful for that...Tasmania isn't the handout state for nothing.

But that largely comes from the independents...The likes of Harradine and Wilkie have justified their seats with pork barreling for a long time. The major parties (and even the greens) tend to follow the party line however.

I think you are miss informed re these projects.

Also cricket will be played at York Park. Almost certainly by next summer.

Do you have a problem with a-league playing at NHO? It already has a first rate surface. It wouldnt need a lot doing to it
The traffic situation is my opinion.

as for the cable car, until i see a shovel turning the dirt over......... All that is happening now is the same thing which has been happening for the last 50 years or so.

I liked NHO from the NRL match earlier this month. If the Geelong bid is going to play down at Kardinia Park or South at Lakeside; then there shouldnt be a problem with NHO. they are the same configuration give or take. dont get me wrong. I would love an AAMI Park type stadium. Rectangular sports in Rectangular Stadiums enhance the viewing experience. but if that can't happen, then NHO should do.

But NHO was old in the 1970's. It is well past its use by date and would need a mountain of work. It might be easier and less inconvenient to just build a whole new stadium and make it a world-class stadium which NHO could never really be. The only way this stadium will work is if they build it not just for the soccer team. it has to be something beyond just that.
They are useful for that...Tasmania isn't the handout state for nothing.

But that largely comes from the independents...The likes of Harradine and Wilkie have justified their seats with pork barreling for a long time. The major parties (and even the greens) tend to follow the party line however.
True, the party senators wouldnt do much. but more ears in the party rooms of Canberra is always good a good thing. And we are always likely to get a Lambie due to how the senate works and our place as an Australian State.

And with 4 of the 5 HoR seats changing sides in the last decade(The North more so), then we always will get some good pork coming our way.

It is an advantage over a city of similar size(say GC or even Canberra). not a game changer, just an advantage

NHO is nearly 100 years old. The ground had a $1.5mill ground revamp 3 years ago. The surface is pretty near perfect. Sure it needs a few amenities & upgrade to changerooms. But at a much less cost than some rectangle field to cater for how many people? & how many games?
A new ground for an unknown situation of crowds & games is a very dubious outlay of big $$.

NHO is nearly 100 years old. The ground had a $1.5mill ground revamp 3 years ago. The surface is pretty near perfect. Sure it needs a few amenities & upgrade to changerooms. But at a much less cost than some rectangle field to cater for how many people? & how many games?
A new ground for an unknown situation of crowds & games is a very dubious outlay of big $$.

All true, and probably quite reasonable.

But if they want to attract an A league team, they probably need more than that.

As with the AFL, the question the A League would be asking is what would a Hobart/Tas team do for their competition and 'we'll do it on the cheap' wont get their hearts fluttering and inspire confidence in the long term financial strength of the club and the commitment of it's backers.

All true, and probably quite reasonable.

But if they want to attract an A league team, they probably need more than that.

As with the AFL, the question the A League would be asking is what would a Hobart/Tas team do for their competition and 'we'll do it on the cheap' wont get their hearts fluttering and inspire confidence in the long term financial strength of the club and the commitment of it's backers.

You really are anti Tasmania arent you. You're also an A-league expert too then.

Maybe you could enlighten us with what will happen with the Geelong vision of BBL & A-league? Also, hows the Geelong economy going. You seem to make lots of comments about that factor here. So give us your view on their economy then if you could. Maybe give us your diatribe on all that. Thanks.

that was just to replace that burnt out small stand back to its heritage listing state and finally fix the surface.

it needs a lot more work than that. there is a reason why no big grand finals are played at the ground nowadays. and because of its history, you cant just knock it down and replace it with something new. it would need a lot of careful work to make these old stands suitable for a professional team's headquarters.

without quotes, we are just guessing. but since the bid team has changed its plans for NHO; one must think that a new stadium altogether is a much better option and value for money than a NHO band-aid.

as for use............We would actually be in a national league. that is 10 or so games guaranteed. that is not counting potential ACL-/FFA/NRL/Super Rugby matches or other events. York and Boot park only have 13 games played on them each year. (5 BBL+1 Aussie game, 7 AFL, ignoring SS and local comps).

The Ryde street stand rebuild was covered by insurance. So no cost to HCC. The re surfacing has given the NHO the best playing surface one could want.
the NHO wouldnt need anywhere near as much spent on it to make it suitable for an A-league club, as against the cost of a new stadium.
If an A-league team started & failed, it would not leave a useless $30mill waste of a stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Ryde street stand rebuild was covered by insurance. So no cost to HCC. The re surfacing has given the NHO the best playing surface one could want.
the NHO wouldnt need anywhere near as much spent on it to make it suitable for an A-league club, as against the cost of a new stadium.
If an A-league team started & failed, it would not leave a useless $30mill waste of a stadium.

The place reeks of footy history, be a shame to see it go the way of Perth Oval http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=92

and what happens if it is successful? how long do you think it will last as an oval when for 8 months of a year it is used as a soccer venue.

and I completely disagree about the cost it will take for the oval to rebuilt to a professional standard.

i agree. if we get an A-league club, and we have to spend money on infrastructure, then there needs to be a long-term commitment from the FFA and the owners.

either way, it seems that we have to wait till the clubs/FFA stop fighting before we know what the real plans are. that could take decades on current progress.

The only footy history that counts is that of the old VFL clubs. Nothing else matters.

That's rubbish and you know it

Even the footy history on this site has plenty of non VF stuff.

Most people are not interested in history anyway, completely different to not caring

and what happens if it is successful? how long do you think it will last as an oval when for 8 months of a year it is used as a soccer venue.

and I completely disagree about the cost it will take for the oval to rebuilt to a professional standard.

i agree. if we get an A-league club, and we have to spend money on infrastructure, then there needs to be a long-term commitment from the FFA and the owners.

either way, it seems that we have to wait till the clubs/FFA stop fighting before we know what the real plans are. that could take decades on current progress.

Long term commitment would be a new one for A-league. Just ask Townsville & Gold Coast.

That's rubbish and you know it

Even the footy history on this site has plenty of non VF stuff.

Most people are not interested in history anyway, completely different to not caring

Oh do I !!

Its not the way I see it.

I think you need to look at the AFL. They seem only to write, talk, present & care about their own version of their corporate history. If their are other sites, it'd be no thanks to the AFL I'm sure.

Their actions & behaviors just reinforce that selfish view of Australian football they show. Their view of the game is all that counts.

Oh do I !!

Its not the way I see it.

I think you need to look at the AFL. They seem only to write, talk, present & care about their own version of their corporate history. If their are other sites, it'd be no thanks to the AFL I'm sure.

Their actions & behaviors just reinforce that selfish view of Australian football they show. Their view of the game is all that counts.

Yeah / nah

I don't agree with you, but I feel it is pointless to argue, your mind is made up.

you forgot Trevor on the end of 'whatever'

Just look up the AFL website for the history of Australian football. It speaks for itself.

Interestingly just recently the new AFL Tasmania GM Robert Auld, promoted from some cheese factory in Victoria buy his AFL big wig brother Travis Auld, has cancelled this years Tasmanian football Hall of Fame. Robert Shaw has called it disrespectful.
What do you think?

Just look up the AFL website for the history of Australian football. It speaks for itself.

Interestingly just recently the new AFL Tasmania GM Robert Auld, promoted from some cheese factory in Victoria buy his AFL big wig brother Travis Auld, has cancelled this years Tasmanian football Hall of Fame. Robert Shaw has called it disrespectful.
What do you think?

I no talk, cause i no win.

this one good.

http://australianfootball.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back