Tasmanian AFL team

Remove this Banner Ad

Slartibartfast

Premiership Player
Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I just hope Gil is not still stalling and something concrete comes out of the current discussions . That is my worry.
The AFL is not sincere and they know the answer now to “is tassie going to get a side”

baldandbroke

AFKA-OOTC
Oct 17, 2020
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, complete Whats.In.It.For.Me situation. How does it help Gil? Does it help the big Vic clubs in any way?

It is not a discussion or decision based in what is best for the game ... or what is best for Tassie.

Look back at how the Eagles, Crows and Power got into the AFL - basically saved a failed product from going bust. Was the only way they were going to "include" us in their reindeer games.

I'll cross my fingers but fully expect a new "plan" to include more North games until they are the pseudo Tasmanian team. North just hired someone in Tasmania to increase the "local connections".

HPKS

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought I would start a thread here to discuss the current bid for a afl license. Without the trolls who have overtaken the main board thread
Not a bad idea. You’ll at least have a better moderator here I’d imagine unlike on the footy industry board that would destroy any good conversations. It’s why he’s hating a thread on the MB.

The thing that stands out to me with a tassie bid getting up is we should see better junior development, more involvement from a community level, better professionalism at a local level, basically a better structure.

jj15

Senior List
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Not a bad idea. You’ll at least have a better moderator here I’d imagine unlike on the footy industry board that would destroy any good conversations. It’s why he’s hating a thread on the MB.

The thing that stands out to me with a tassie bid getting up is we should see better junior development, more involvement from a community level, better professionalism at a local level, basically a better structure.
We won’t see any of those things. The AFL will eat up the local comps, there will be less volunteers and less players. Yes maybe more kids will play until the age of realising they aren’t good enough and then will just watch AFL games rather then involve themselves with a local community club. This happens already but would be worse with an AFL team

Tasmanian saint

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Let me guess wookie?

HPKS

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
We won’t see any of those things. The AFL will eat up the local comps, there will be less volunteers and less players. Yes maybe more kids will play until the age of realising they aren’t good enough and then will just watch AFL games rather then involve themselves with a local community club. This happens already but would be worse with an AFL team
Depends how the restructuring is embraced. Change has to happen imo because atm footy is dieing a very slow death down there.

It will never ever go back to what it used to be just like every league throughout Australia. Embrace the change and make it work for you.

Gersman

Senior List
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
What's the point of an AFL team?
The base underneath is almost completely dead.
Too late now. And the rest of the presidents don't want 19 teams in it. Not enough talent anymore.

fumbler

Pick 54: Big Onions
Jun 28, 2012
Cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Eddie is on the right track with his rant about what needs to be done to get a Tassie team by 2028 except for mostly what he said.

No matter where or who or what gets the money for the backing the whole state needs to get behind them (and the relocated Taswegians also), who really cares where they are located as long as they make you feel like you are a part of it.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to see a Tasmanian team running around in their own state instead of a team that's done nothing since playing down there and another team use it to prop themselves up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad