Tas Tasmanian Election 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

What's wrong with Hare-Clark? Seems to me that it reflects the electorate's wishes better than most systems.
This, + the Robson rotation seem alright. Gives the voters some recourse when the parties put up some hack at the top of their ticket
Hare-Clark is great in theory but it relies very heavily on voters knowing the individual candidates.

That’s fine in Tasmania, where you have one MLA for every 16,000 voters - candidates can get out in the community and meet a fair chunk of the electorate with old fashioned retail politics. It’s much more difficult in NSW, where the number is more like 57,000 - let alone federal divisions of 100k+.

In big electorates it’s hard for anyone except perhaps the sitting member to generate a significant personal vote, which means you would likely see a Hare-Clark system operating in practice a lot more like the Senate does - party voting, sitting members being re-elected by default, little individual MP accountability.

For that reason I think as a system it will continue to be restricted to small elections like TAS, ACT and local councils, where I agree it works pretty well (albeit with much of the population not really understanding how)

Last edited:
The final numbers from yesterday in Clark appear to be completed primaries, excluding pre-polls and postal votes. And another beauty of Hare Clark is that we won't have a clue about preferencing until mid next week, because run-off votes end up being worth a fraction of a vote and obviously they can't know the fraction til numbers a final.

Antony's suggestion that the numbers would come back to the Libs seemed right - they're over 1.9 of a quota now. You'd think they'd get that 0.1 from the Shooters, and preference leakage from tree tories. And even if they don't, if Hickey is one of the last eliminated, her preferences will get the Libs over the line (assuming 5 quotas haven't already been reached before her elimination)

So it's almost certain the Libs get to 13 and a majority. And if Kristie Johnson is the independent that takes the vote, despite being a brand newbie, they'll even have an independent speaker to install (given that Johnson is a left-leaning indi, which probably makes her less dangerous to them in the speakers chair, especially if the Brooks thing is ongoing.).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know if anyone will provide any type of outcome in terms of guilty or not guilty - it’s two pretty damning concepts of workplace sexual harassment and unwanted sexual advances.

Toxic mud like that sticks forever

dont need a conviction to be guilty. if he comes out of this looking likely, he should be gone

Crazy that these old blokes in senior positions continue to hit on junior employees barely out of their teens, and then act surprised to find out that maybe the girls felt slightly coerced

I’d have thought people would have got the hint about 20-30 years ago

I don't reckon there being accusations against him would come as a huge surprise to anyone who has met him. One of those guys that just gives off creepy vibes that are so attracted to politics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back