Tasmanian Football League - Name A Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh and while we're at trying to line up the old SWL and the TFL, i'd have loved to have seen Derbashire try and play on Todd Spearman in his prime. A good as Derba is, he'd never have lasted a quarter on Spearo.

Oh and while we're at trying to line up the old SWL and the TFL, i'd have loved to have seen Derbashire try and play on Todd Spearman in his prime. A good as Derba is, he'd never have lasted a quarter on Spearo.

I reckon you're spot on with that call :thumbsu:
I can just imagine some of the tactics Spearo would've employed on Derba to put him off his game lol.
Not only that, but Spearman was a genuinely good player too.

RE: Plapp - I dunno about anyone else but I always thought he was too one dimensional.
Good up forward, good mark of the football and a good kick, but not much use anywhere else around the ground.
Can't say I can remember him playing anywhere else for the Dockers but FF.

I can just imagine some of the tactics Spearo would've employed on Derba to put him off his game lol.

RE: Plapp - I dunno about anyone else but I always thought he was too one dimensional.
Good up forward, good mark of the football and a good kick, but not much use anywhere else around the ground.

When you kick 100 goals (or 90 odd at the least) at 19 years of age in your first full season out of TAC football you tend to get played within a kick of the big sticks, particularly when it's your best position!!!!

Kingpin, can you recall the old North CHB line of Brand, Spearman and Squirel Ryan? Now that was scary. When i moved to Launceston from the country to further my education, Squirel took me under his wing as a 16/17 year old at the Retreat Hotel. And what an education that was! I also played with Spearo later on at Uni/Mowbray (before he was completely drug %$$#%^) and the bloke was a marvel. He used to be paid a carton of beer for every training run he turned up to. He was still reasonably fit and was still pumping the weights at the time as well. One memorable day in a prelim final against the tamar cats he showed what he was capable of by completely dominating Ashley Couts, who was on the Geelong list and was studying at the Maritime college. Spearo was (and maybe still is I haven't seen him for years) a pretty nice bloke, and he'd tell you about why he never played AFL (his attitude) and was really self effacing about his ability. But god help anyone who picked a fight with him, or crossed him in the streets of Launceston in the early hours of a Sunday morning.

The Big H said:
Kingpin, can you recall the old North CHB line of Brand, Spearman and Squirel Ryan? Now that was scary. When i moved to Launceston from the country to further my education, Squirel took me under his wing as a 16/17 year old at the Retreat Hotel. And what an education that was! I also played with Spearo later on at Uni/Mowbray (before he was completely drug %$$#%^) and the bloke was a marvel. He used to be paid a carton of beer for every training run he turned up to. He was still reasonably fit and was still pumping the weights at the time as well. One memorable day in a prelim final against the tamar cats he showed what he was capable of by completely dominating Ashley Couts, who was on the Geelong list and was studying at the Maritime college. Spearo was (and maybe still is I haven't seen him for years) a pretty nice bloke, and he'd tell you about why he never played AFL (his attitude) and was really self effacing about his ability. But god help anyone who picked a fight with him, or crossed him in the streets of Launceston in the early hours of a Sunday morning.

Brand & Spearman yes, can't recall Ryan off the top of me head though.
Brand & Spearman both had those cold, serial killer eyes that made John Wayne Gacy look like 'an affable Irishman' in comparison.
I've heard despite his reputation, Brand was a pretty decent fella just you never took liberties with either him or Spearman or they would carve you up bigtime.
I even remember Spearman in his days at Glenorchy (pre-Statewide League) and he had a bit of rep there.

The Flood said:
When you kick 100 goals (or 90 odd at the least) at 19 years of age in your first full season out of TAC football you tend to get played within a kick of the big sticks, particularly when it's your best position!!!!
Yeah that's right, but what I'm getting at is, you know what they're like at AFL clubs with having players playing in all different positions on the ground?
For example, the TFL's highest ever goalkicker Wayne Fox (1049 goals in his TFL career) being drafted to Footscray where he played predominantly as a backman.
No doubt there'd be others like that.
Don't get me wrong, I thought Plapp was sensational, young kid straight out of the TAC Cup and kicking 98 in his first year in TFL footy in a grand final side.
I just thought at the time that if he went to the AFL, he might need to learn a few other tricks (other than just being in front of the sticks) for him to last at that level for a long period of time.
I thought he was going to be a good new find at Richmond there for a bit, developed into a cult hero among the fans, did pretty well but then they cut him which was a shame because I would've loved to have seen him developed a bit more.
Certainly a better performed player than many I've see get drafted from here over the years :thumbsu:

Any1 know what Wayne Weederman is doing with himself these days??

I'm not sure about now, but he was coaching West Adelaide in the SANFL for awhile there.
Westies weren't performing well and he got the boot/stood down partway through the season, I can't remember if it was this year or 2007 that he got out of Westies (this year's gone so quick I've lost track of everything ;))
He was on the commentary team now and then in the ABC television's SANFL coverage when Westies had the Bye from what I remember.

I'm not sure about now, but he was coaching West Adelaide in the SANFL for awhile there.
Westies weren't performing well and he got the boot/stood down partway through the season, I can't remember if it was this year or 2007 that he got out of Westies (this year's gone so quick I've lost track of everything ;))
He was on the commentary team now and then in the ABC television's SANFL coverage when Westies had the Bye from what I remember.
Cheers mate, I know he's getting on abit but still would be able to play abit old Weeds I reckon

While he never really set the world on fire in the SWL, Damien Brown did towel up Michael Gardiner in a state game vs WA and then went on to be a premiership ruckman with Port Adelaide, as well as dominating in country footy leagues in Vic.

Plapps biggest problem was that he went from being a lead up ff with great hands in Tasmania to being an undersized ff or stay at home fp in the afl. Needed to have a team that would have played him like Carlton did with Brad Pierce. Similar size and types of players.
Pearce did smash a few at South Launy allright, good ponytail, him and Mark Colegrave must have had the same hairdresser, or not, back then ?

Too right , Spearo and Squirell very, very hard at it, Spearo actually played in the Tassie team that beat the Vics at Nth Hobart-good bloke, very tough, especially his forearm on your noggin !

Ok you footy experts who was the best player out of the Jackson Triples and why?

Ther was Grant Kent and Steven all played in the Statewide comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephen had a go. Limited talent.
Kent's career was cut short by injury but was probably more talented that Grant. Grant has been an excellent servant to Tassie footy - his longevity and performance at a high standard something to be respected

I'm not sure of his first name but he played at North Hobart and I think his name was Stephen Rattray? But he was hard bastard or nuts one of the other who played CHF, anyone got any info or remember him? and was that his name?

I'm not sure of his first name but he played at North Hobart and I think his name was Stephen Rattray? But he was hard bastard or nuts one of the other who played CHF, anyone got any info or remember him? and was that his name?

Yeah Stephen Rattray. Good player for North Hobart, played in three flags for them.
Got 16 matches for kicking Andrew Dunkley in the jatz-crackers during the '91 Grand Final, had earlier tried to punch him in the nads 3 or 4 times in different marking contests.
Came back and resumed with North after his long suspension, and starred in their '92 flag, turning the game back North's way when massive underdogs Hobart hit the front early in the final quarter of that game.
Was recruited by Hobart in 1996 and was about as much use as an arse pocket on a singlet.
Only played one decent game in his whole season up there, the first game against Sandy Bay.
Spent most of the second half of the season out injured with a broken finger or something and left over the summer.

I played on Rattray in his first game back after the incident at North Hobart Oval in the reserves. I was playing under 19's at the time and was told after finishing the U19's game to get to North Hobart and into the reserves through lack of players.

Was only a young fella and took a mark about 45m out in the thrid quater and he came in late and gave me one almighty smack in the back of my head. Got up and had a kick for goal and sprayed it out of bounds.

When I ran out and was told to go stand beside him I nearly Sh*t myself.

does anyone remember a player called rick franjic who played at south then longford and uni mowbray and i think a few others? i heard he still plays the game hed have to be 45 but is a scary bastard, played against him as a kid and seen him open up on a few blokes on a number of occasions.. anyone know who im talking about?

does anyone remember a player called rick franjic who played at south then longford and uni mowbray and i think a few others? i heard he still plays the game hed have to be 45 but is a scary bastard, played against him as a kid and seen him open up on a few blokes on a number of occasions.. anyone know who im talking about?

still running around old rick..more clubs than a golf set...wherever the money was rick would be there.
legendry for training/shopping around pre-season.
still built like a brick shithouse
have been on the end of one of his hits...ouch !!!

still running around old rick..more clubs than a golf set...wherever the money was rick would be there.
legendry for training/shopping around pre-season.
still built like a brick shithouse
have been on the end of one of his hits...ouch !!!

whos he play with now and does he still go alright? also heard he has a son whos a gun and coaches on the mainland or something

I played on Rattray in his first game back after the incident at North Hobart Oval in the reserves. I was playing under 19's at the time and was told after finishing the U19's game to get to North Hobart and into the reserves through lack of players.

Was only a young fella and took a mark about 45m out in the thrid quater and he came in late and gave me one almighty smack in the back of my head. Got up and had a kick for goal and sprayed it out of bounds.

When I ran out and was told to go stand beside him I nearly Sh*t myself.
Rat came from the West Coast originally and started with the Burnie Tigers in the NWFU\NTFL

Anyone know what happened to Glenn Johnston, ex North Launceston from late 80's early 90's. Brilliant player and sportsman in general who got drafted by Carlton, didn't make it, came back to North for a couple of years and then seemed to disappear altogether?

Anyone remember David Giles I think he came to Burnie from Clarence with Nick Taylor at the time in 93 where did he play before that and how did he rate as a player in the south also add Squizzy Taylor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back