Tasmanian Football League - Name A Player

Remove this Banner Ad

:D:D:thumbsu::thumbsu: well done Moocher

Kingpin's old favourite! Ambrose Macdonald, a villainous looking hardnut that would have scared the living daylights out of the current mob of orange men!
Hahaha!
Good old Kevin "Ambrose" McDonald!
Had a terribly hard upbringing that fella, footy was his big thing in life, don't think he became a senior footballer 'til he was about 25 and unfortunately had a hair-trigger temper which got the better of him, strangely after his exploits in the 1986 Grand Final for Sandy Bay and the belting he gave Kim Excell he was running around for Campbell Town (I think it was) the next season in the Northern Amatuers before he went inside.
Geez, imagine how the young blokes of today would cope with the likes of Ambrose McDonald, Darren Winter, Dale Whish-Wilson, Tony "Tatts" Brand, Greg Farquahar, Todd Spearman, Tim Deacon, Andy Goodwin, David Rhys-Jones, Brenton Tapp and the list goes on - there'd be a mass exodus to the Old Scholars or the SFL or something :D

Far out footy was different back then, no wonder the crowds were so good, there was genuinely always action going on everywhere!

PS: I've started doing a lot of research in my spare time at the State Library on the league back in the '80's for Wikipedia.

1980 TANFL Winfield Statewide Cup - Click here
1983 TANFL Season - Click here
1984 TANFL Season - Click here
1986 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
1987 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
1988 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
1989 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here
1990 TFL Statewide League Season - Click here

Hahaha!
Had a terribly hard upbringing that fella, footy was his big thing in life, don't think he became a senior footballer 'til he was about 25 and unfortunately had a hair-trigger temper which got the better of him, strangely after his exploits in the 1986 Grand Final for Sandy Bay and the belting he gave Kim Excell he was running around for Campbell Town (I think it was) the next season in the Northern Amatuers before he went inside.
Geez, imagine how the young blokes of today would cope with the likes of Ambrose McDonald, Darren Winter, Dale Whish-Wilson, Tony "Tatts" Brand, Greg Farquahar, Todd Spearman, Tim Deacon, Andy Goodwin, David Rhys-Jones, Brenton Tapp and the list goes on - there'd be a mass exodus to the Old Scholars or the SFL or something :D

Far out footy was different back then, no wonder the crowds were so good, there was genuinely always action going on everywhere!

PS: I've started doing a lot of research in my spare time at the State Library on the league back in the '80's for Wikipedia.

You forgot about your own Tony Marchant! They didn't call him Boots for nothing didn't they! :eek:

Anyone have a copy of the 86 granny (Seagulls/Pies) on DVD available? In fact also interested in any Sandy Bay games anyone might have available right up until their exit from the league. Particularly any games covered that were played at Queenborough.
Shoot me a PM if you have any, so the thread doesn't get clogged and we can negotiate a price etc for your time.

Cheers.

You forgot about your own Tony Marchant! They didn't call him Boots for nothing didn't they! :eek:

Yep Boots Marchant and Brendan Walsh are another two :thumbsu:
I remember Boots and Tony Brand punching the s**t out of one another over the boundary fence and falling into the crowd at York Park in 1989 or 1990 right in front of the old Cameron-Tyson Stand! :cool:

Anyone have a copy of the 86 granny (Seagulls/Pies) on DVD available? In fact also interested in any Sandy Bay games anyone might have available right up until their exit from the league. Particularly any games covered that were played at Queenborough.
Shoot me a PM if you have any, so the thread doesn't get clogged and we can negotiate a price etc for your time.

Cheers.
The ABC Television sports department here in Hobart should have relevant copies of what you're after there John :thumbsu:
I believe it costs about $50 for a DVD of a match, at least, that's what they charged our Old Players & Officials to copy the entire 1980 TANFL Grand Final onto DVD.
So give them a ring at the ABC during the week :thumbsu:

Ambrose Macdonald,Todd Spearman , Spider kLINE AND sCOTT wALKER OF North Hobart and Triabunna fame not the Burnie Hawks and Yolla Scott Walker ?

Guy Grey (his beard made him look hard), David Giles, Darren Winter ( could always get in the right spot to clean you up), Paul Dac, Michael Schulz, Andy Goodwin ( Super tough ), Jock Macgregor, Rattray (Nth Hobart he was crazy), Dale Whish-wilson ( players would run away from him), Dale Hall, Wayne Weedaman, Byron Howard, Ian Gardam ( Hard as nails).

Scott Walker from Nth told me that he always use to play on the other one from Burnie.

All the guy's mentioned ran straight at it.

Agree with the above list except for Guy Grey you have to be joking on this one..had good skills old Chalky but does not belong in the list of hard men..

Agree with the above list except for Guy Grey you have to be joking on this one..had good skills old Chalky but does not belong in the list of hard men..

True....he only use to scare other teams because he could turn a game in five mintes if not closely checked

Speaking of hard men what about Robbie Wright played the game hard for the Burnie Hawks ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha!

1990 TFL
Hahaha!

What about Gary Henderson and John ( Herbie) Mundy.

Shane smith ,devonport,
Andy goodwin devonport ,richmond
Ricky brown ,devonport
Podge mcgurk ,devonport,
Troy davies ,devonport.
Matthew langmaid ,devonport
Toad lee devonport
Chris dell devonport
Brett sherriff devonport
Goodwin was a warrior great inspirational coach toughest bloke i ever played with and most would say the same.i had a great couple of years under him.great times

Alan Giffard. Played one game with the Bears in 1987, and was at South in 1989, until he left midseason in 1990. He was a regular customer when I was working at Bullet Video in Newstead in 1989. Never seen anyone who could scoop up a ball at ground level in the Youngtown mud like him...exceptionally skilled...

Is Tim Oldenhof still playing football?

For you north west boys - what happened to Paul Gaby? - did he take off with Peter German a few years back and never came back (?)
I played against Tim when I was at devonport and played with him when he came up to southport ..ripper bloke

James 'Lois' Lane - Hobart.
Played for Hobart until 1996 and has resided in London for several years now.
Was at the 1980 & 1990 Premiership reunion last year. Still looks the same.

Darren Perry - North Hobart & Hobart.
Very good footballer, started at North Hobart as a young bloke played in premierships with them, crossed to Hobart in 1992 and played a season with the Tigers before heading back across to North.
Played for Hobart against North in the '92 Grand Final and played quite well.
Works for Steps Employment in Hobart nowdays.
Darren perry absolute champion 🏆 lucky to have played with him in 96

'Teflon' Tim Deacon?
Big bloke, getting reported almost every week, named 'Teflon' because they could never make any charge stick.
The umpires came into the rooms before the game a few times and pulled Andy and myself aside and said that we tackle and hit with too much vigor and we need to tone it down . Goodas just looked with a sly smile and set let's go nothing's changed .I didn't go round wacking blokes and if I did they would of deserved it .7 reports got done once !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back