Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ken HAll for SFL

Kenny would have to be a "players player" I reckon and wow can he kick a ball. I would even say he boots it longer than Anthony Cole!

Now there we go we could have a segment each week on Tassie Footy Trivia like who is the longest kick in Tassie Footy history?

Scott Wade, Anthony Cole, Ken Hall,

Dont ya just love it.
A couple I have seen would be of course Mark Browning, could regularly roost it 70+.
Saw him kick a point from FB/CHB at Kingston in practice match in the late 80's - everyone there just stood around going :eek:
An obscure one, but Ricky Rattray could certainly latch onto one.
Rattray was the '78 NTFA Medallist from Scottsdale and transferred down to play for Glenorchy, and was in the 1980 final against Hobart playing at FB on Paul Courto, then when the game was all over and Hobart was 51-points in front Colin Tully moved him off Courto to FF and he kicked the last three.
Wade was a great kick of the football definately.
Robbie Dykes was another who could get great distances with his kicking too.
The old folks (and not just Hobart supporters) swear by Mal Pascoe as the longest kick in the 50's and 60's era.

A couple I have seen would be of course Mark Browning, could regularly roost it 70+.
Saw him kick a point from FB/CHB at Kingston in practice match in the late 80's - everyone there just stood around going :eek:
An obscure one, but Ricky Rattray could certainly latch onto one.
Rattray was the '78 NTFA Medallist from Scottsdale and transferred down to play for Glenorchy, and was in the 1980 final against Hobart playing at FB on Paul Courto, then when the game was all over and Hobart was 51-points in front Colin Tully moved him off Courto to FF and he kicked the last three.
Wade was a great kick of the football definately.
Robbie Dykes was another who could get great distances with his kicking too.
The old folks (and not just Hobart supporters) swear by Mal Pascoe as the longest kick in the 50's and 60's era.

What about 2 past Glenorchy players in the great Roland Curley and Richard Douglas they were two fine kickers of the Sherrin or the Ross Faulkner back in those days.
Then New Norfolk and William Leitch Medalist Ricky Hanlon could roost a drop punt... Hobart's Dale Hall could kick a ball....

Barge you havent had to much to say about the signing of Claremonts assistant coach Zac Clayton who was New Norfolks best back if not the best in the league . Also talking to a bloke in the know out at Claremont who said Martin & Braslin who would be both very handy players in this league could also be Claremont bound.

Kenny would have to be a "players player" I reckon and wow can he kick a ball. I would even say he boots it longer than Anthony Cole!

Now there we go we could have a segment each week on Tassie Footy Trivia like who is the longest kick in Tassie Footy history?

Scott Wade, Anthony Cole, Ken Hall,

Dont ya just love it.

Duff

Ricky Hanlon was a fair kick of the footy.

Current Hobart Player Steven Youd kicked a goal from an OOF at North Hobat, btw the Interchange area in an U18 GF against Channel. Youdy was 16 at the time.

Kingpin is spot-on few players, even in the AFL have consistantly kicked as long as Browning. At training at the TCA on night Browning and Mick Winter were kicking barrels to each other from about 10 m in from the goal square at each end.

Barge you havent had to much to say about the signing of Claremonts assistant coach Zac Clayton who was New Norfolks best back if not the best in the league . Also talking to a bloke in the know out at Claremont who said Martin & Braslin who would be both very handy players in this league could also be Claremont bound.

Didn't realise I had to trumpet the arrival of every Claremont recuit, Gus!

If Zac can play as well for Claremont as he has played for the Eagles then he will be very, very handy!

Hadn't heard of Bras making the move up there.

PM me with the name of your source and we may possibly talk some more.

On the topic of longest kicks, Wilbur35 will back me up here, few will ever match the late, great Craig Carr!

One of the most prodigious kicks of a football we will ever see and passed away before the age of 18!

Ricky Hanlon #44 for me. Huge kick and a very impressive style. Jumped way up in the air when kicking. Even wore Basketball style football boots due to his bad ankles.
I believe he may be running junior football in Northern Australia.
Footy was great back then, probably because their was more media coverage, more interest, more rivalry, big name AFL players etc etc.

The football community

How sad is this.

I was filming a game between Brighton and Nth Hobart last year @ Pontville and Ken Hall was playing as the Devils had a bye.

He made it look all too easy and really made me think about how close he must have been to cracking AFL and how much difference there is from VFL to SFL.

Anyway, he took a mark on the 50 and with a slight breeze behind him I said to the Brighton under 17 boys behind me "He'll kick this post high".

He did. I said "He's just awesome hey, great player".

Brighton Boys - "Who is he"?

If this is not an example of how un-united the football community is and the fact that many people really don't know much about others from other leagues and clubs then I'm seeing it wrong.

Bring on "The Southern Footy Show" where everyone will finally have a voice and recognition granted.

One of the comps we are looking at running (apart from mark and goal of the year) is the SFL muscle man bench press comp.

Any takers or tips?

I reckon that bloke with the tatts from Sorell reserves may be a chance.

Played a good game in the Grand FInal.

Duff

]

Ricky Hanlon #44 for me. Huge kick and a very impressive style. Jumped way up in the air when kicking. Even wore Basketball style football boots due to his bad ankles.
Footy was great back then, probably because their was more media coverage, more interest, more rivalry, big name AFL players etc etc.
Great player to watch growing up was Ricky its a shame kids dont have heroes in the local game anymore, like the Danny Lings, McQueen Bros, Jamie Dennis and Paul Dacs. The media and AFL Tas have alot to answer for. The Mercury is just a bad take off of the Herald Sun, they should look at the Examiner and see how they have big articles on all grades and leagues of local sport. Yes people love the AFL but the powers to be would be surprised what a little media for local sport would do to attract sponsors and the like for struggling clubs. Duff the footy show would be a great start, keep pushing it.

Ricky was my favourite player as a kid, he used to come to my school and take clinics.

Was a top bloke and always had time to talk to anyone, loved watching him play bursting of half back and kicking it a mile.

I have been told that Cresswell has been in touch with Benny Cousins and he is very keen on joining the Devils next year. Apparently a deal has nearly been done.

I have been told that Cresswell has been in touch with Benny Cousins and he is very keen on joining the Devils next year. Apparently a deal has nearly been done.

I heard he had signed for Meekatharra Saints in country WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They may as well get Daniel Chick as well... The Hobart nightlife would never be the same, make the devils players' behaviour look pedestrian...

How much more entetaining could the night life get?........Steven Lawrence is coming if Gehrig comes, Lawrence Angwin wanted to come but Cressa said no mate.

Re: The football community

Bring on "The Southern Footy Show" where everyone will finally have a voice and recognition granted.

One of the comps we are looking at running (apart from mark and goal of the year) is the SFL muscle man bench press comp.

Any takers or tips?

I reckon that bloke with the tatts from Sorell reserves may be a chance.
Played a good game in the Grand FInal.
Duff

You mean Craig Moore? He hurt himself in the first quarter and didnt do much for the whole game! or Owen Bowering - (I can't remember if he had tattoos), Bowering had a brilliant game against the one and only sperm whale from down Cygnet way - Jamie Direen. - Dunno about these two being strong men!, Big boys yes - but strongmen - that is up for debate.:D

Guess if we have that strong men competition you are keen on, we will find out!:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I was talking with an old New Norfolk stalwart today and he tells me they have lost a lot of players to other clubs, what is going on in the valley. Players mentioned were Clayton, Martin,McCulloch,Lamb,Rainbird,Hodge,Booth,Smith,Wilson, King,just to name a few.

Just wondering if there are any potential footballers in the North-west on here?..

If you have had year or so off football, are new to the area, or just want to have a kick, sing out!..

Devils no haven for Cousins AFL Tasmania 'definitely not interested' in fallen star -http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/other/devils-no-haven-for-cousins-afl-tasmania-definitely-not-interested-in-fallen-star/1090701.html

I wonder how many teams have been linked to cousins...just about every team out of the AFl I would think....

On the topic of players moving, one defection I cannot believe hasn't made it on to here is that of Superstar goalkicker Ben Van Kraanen from North Hobart to Hobart, no doubt on the back of promises made by his ex team mate and new coach Todd Lewis.

Haven't heard of his? Let me paint a picture for you, one nameless ex team mate called him a "Poor man's Robbie Devine!"

Anyone closer to League Headquarters care to comment on this young gun?

On the topic of players moving, one defection I cannot believe hasn't made it on to here is that of Superstar goalkicker Ben Van Kraanen from North Hobart to Hobart, no doubt on the back of promises made by his ex team mate and new coach Todd Lewis.

Haven't heard of his? Let me paint a picture for you, one nameless ex team mate called him a "Poor man's Robbie Devine!"

Anyone closer to League Headquarters care to comment on this young gun?

Isn he that shortish fat boy with a big stumpy head? From down Oatland's way?

Looks like the "Pathway to the AFL" for Wade and Co. didn't work very well this year which they will probably blame the alliance for. With the ten or so interstate recruits touted for next year it's not going to be much different. Callinan and the Grimas missed out but look to be staying in S.A. Gherig redrafted for the Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back