Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do it for the kids: - State league best pathway to AFL
By MARTIN AGATYN
space.gif

A STATE league is the best way to get more young Tasmanians drafted to the AFL, Burnie Dockers coach Justin Plapp said yesterday.
He said promising young footballers in regional leagues such as the NTFL faced little prospect of getting drafted and serious consideration should be given to returning to Statewide football.

The Dockers coach was commenting on Tasmania's poor showing in Saturday's AFL draft, in which only one player from the State was picked up - Hobart's Tom Collier, by the Brisbane Lions.

Plapp, a former St Kilda player, was also a junior development coach for AFL Tasmania, and last year coached an elite training group which will form the nucleus of this year's State under 16 side.

"If we don't have a Statewide league some time in the future in place, these kids won't get drafted from regional footy," Plapp said.

However, he was quick to point out this was his own personal view as a junior development mentor and not as coach of a club which may or may not want to be part of a re-vamped Statewide league.

"The last Tasmanian to be drafted directly from the NTFL was Grant Birchall, from Devonport to Hawthorn - and that was six years ago," Plapp said.

"But he is an outstanding player and he also played with the Tassie Mariners - he's will go on to a 200-game AFL career."

Plapp said a Statewide league was needed to develop the game in Tasmania and create a higher standard of football.

"I'm not saying when it has to happen, whether it's next year, 2009, or five years down the track," he said in an obvious reference to AFL Tasmania's 2009 plan.

"But it needs to be seriously looked at - we are at a definite disadvantage compared to other states where they have one main league or a Statewide competition," he said.

Plapp said Tasmania's poor showing in Saturday's AFL draft could also be put down to several other factors, including the fact that is was simply a "light" year for Tasmania and the Tasmanian Devils had a poor year in the VFL.

"Last year, with four draftees, was exceptional by comparison," he said.

"These things go in cycles and there were a lot of taller kids in other States this year, plus some teams went for recycled players from other clubs who have experience, rather than youth."

Plapp said despite Saturday's result, there was still a chance several Tasmanian youngsters could be picked up in the AFL's pre-season rookie draft on December 11.

"No doubt a few boys would have been disappointed on Saturday, but I've been talking to people mixed up in the AFL draft and they tell me there's still some hope," he said.

Plapp said former Strahan boy Aaron Joseph, Launceston's Tom Bellchambers and Hobart's Brodie Miles were still slim chances to get picked up.

"Tom Collier was always going to get drafted - he was an outstanding prospect and has stood out for a few years now," Plapp said.

While this year may have been lean, Plapp said the future could be a little brighter.

"The group I was involved with this year, who will be under 16s next season includes several excellent draft prospects, so in a few years we could see more boys getting picked up," he said.
http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/other/youngster-hits-104-against-men/1093300.html

It was good to see on the news tonight a couple more employees for AFL TAS, I was worried that they were not expanding as they have done in prevoius years.At the current rate by 2020 they will have more employees, than there are players in Tasmania.

Just one Tassie pick in AFL draft
AFL Tasmania's decentralised system and weak local competitions have resulted in only one Tasmanian being picked up in yesterday's AFL draft -- and the state's major footballing body is taking full responsibility.
Mariners, Devils and Lauderdale key defender Tom Collier was the only Tasmanian name read out yesterday, going to Brisbane with pick 25, while the likes of Launceston's Tom Bellchambers and Glenorchy duo Brodie Moles and Aaron Joseph were overlooked.
AFL general manager Scott Wade said he was not surprised by the lack of locals selected, but hoped a few more might get picked in next month's rookie draft.
"It would have been nice to get more, but we are probably disappointed we haven't given Tom Bellchambers the best chance to get drafted," Wade said.
"And when I say we, I mean us as an organisation. We have to take some responsibility for not giving the guys the best opportunity."How about make that full responsibility, sooner you and your egos are replaced the better!
It tops off an annus horribilis for Tasmanian football, which saw the Devils collect their first wooden spoon and Tasmania lose to Queensland in the first representative game since 1999.
The last time Tasmania only had one player drafted was back in 2001, when Port Adelaide selected Barry Brooks with pick No.15, while even the Northern Territory and non-Australian Rules states New South Wales and Queensland had more players selected than Tasmania yesterday.
Wade said the lack of draftees also came from the standard of regional competitions, which was why AFL Tasmania was pushing for a revamped statewide league starting in 2009.
"If Tasmanian football fans don't realise now you won't get drafted by playing NTFL and SFL footy, then they will never realise it," he said.Seemed to get drafted alright before the inception of you clowns
"It is an enormously competitive environment and Tom Collier played one TAC Cup game, he played in the national championships in which he didn't dominate, but he played exceptional VFL footy. There is no doubt Tom Collier's VFL experience didn't do him any harm.
"Tom Bellchambers, he's a 200cm-plus guy and in hindsight, the program we had in place last year didn't do him any favours."
"He dominated the NTFL grand final, he played exceptionally good footy but it doesn't count for anything when young players are trying to get drafted.
"The quality of the competition is not good enough."
It is for this reason AFL Tasmania will base the Devils program in Hobart next season and is setting up a Centre for Excellence program at Bellerive Oval.
"We have to give our young players a better chance than we gave Tom Bellchambers, Aaron Joseph, Alex Grima, Jaye Bowden and those guys," Wade said.
"That is why we announced recently that Bellerive Oval will be the centre for excellence because there is a lot of young people in Australia who work a lot harder than some of our boys."Um, not sure what the message is here Wade.

Has anyone on here considered whether the likes of Bellchambers, Joseph, Bowden, Grima, Cornelius (Collier probably excluded) would have got a game with the Devils circa a few years ago when they were a finals football outfit.

None of them would have. Not even close. Unlike what occurred this year when AFLTas had the arse hanging out of their pants and no other choice but to play the kids and try and salvage something from the year and justify their existence.

Is anyone stupid enough to think that the Devils might have compromised winning finals back then to expose some/all of these kids to put them on the golden pathway to the AFL like they continually spout about.

Again not a snowflakes chance in hell. Wade and co. are masters at spin-doctoring and moving the goalposts depending on how the Devils are performing at the time.

As I have repeatedly stated - they were not too concerned with the standard of the SFL back when the Devils were a finals outfit and filling Bellerive with good crowds. They couldn't have given a toss as they basked in the glory and if anything the standard of the SFL was considerably worse back then. It is only now when the Devils are cellar dwellers that they need to shift blame and use diversionary tactics to draw attention away from the atrocious job they have done administering and managing the Devils.

Absolute jokers.

Kingpin:
They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, and not just from us, from our fathers, and from our fathers' fathers.
Tigerfan:
And from our fathers' fathers' fathers.
Kingpin:
Yeah.
Tigerfan:
And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers.
Kingpin:
Yeah. All right, Tigerfan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?!

From what I used to read on the Kangaroo and Geelong boards they may have something to say about that too: Cameron Thurley. His name still comes up in threads like 'worst draft ever'

cameron thurley ............ you have got to be kidding!

he is one of the better draft picks if you ask me , a bloke who was drafted as a mature age pick and performed on the big stage 12 times, was regarded as one of the best kicks for goal whilst at geelong and if leigh harding had injured his knee a week earlier than he did cameron would of in my eyes held on for another year at the roos.
he has actually played the game at the highest level,
Heath Neville never played - dont blame him he was picked and tried his best , wasnt good enough and he was delisted, but i bet he didnt go over there for a holiday, he will be a better player now than when he left.

alex gilmour never played - ( but he is stil a good player non the less )
in fact you will see him play a significent role in the devils team this year as he did when playing for coburg through out his stint at richmond.

when talking about "the worst draft pick" dont aim it at the players , there all trying to get a game, what about some direction in the comments going to the clubs that picked these people in the first place, they have "invested" in these players on the basis of them thinking he is better than jo blow down the street, shouldnt they then be critised for their role in the draft?

i ask you !

Where are they now?
Just as a matter of interest below are most of the names drafted since 95 beside them are the number of AFL games played. How many returned to the State and continued playing or made a name for themselves elsewhere? Fill in the blanks
'95
Adrian Burdon Carlton/S.A
'96
Daniel McAllister - 5
Leigh Brockman - 12 S.A
Mark Harwood - 30
Gerrard Bennerr - 32 S.A
Russel Robertson - 205
'97
Brodie Holland - 154
Justin Wood - 7
'98
Brady Rawlings - 158
Peter Street - 77
Luke Speers
Kurt Heazlewood
'99
Danny Roach - 1
Brad Green - 166
Patrick Wiggins - 12
'00
Simon Wiggins - 89
'01
Barry Brooks -10
'02
Jason Laycock - 42
Luke Shackleton - 1
'03
Billy Morrison
Alex Gilmour
Cameron thurley - 12
'04
Jesse Wells
Andrew Lee
Justin Sherman
'05
Grant Birchall
Sam Lonergan
Michael West
What about Tim Hazell? Did he not get drafted to Hawthorn in 1998 or 99? Played a couple of games from memory, might have kicked a couple of goals also?

cameron thurley ............ you have got to be kidding!

he is one of the better draft picks if you ask me , a bloke who was drafted as a mature age pick and performed on the big stage 12 times, was regarded as one of the best kicks for goal whilst at geelong and if leigh harding had injured his knee a week earlier than he did cameron would of in my eyes held on for another year at the roos.
he has actually played the game at the highest level,
Heath Neville never played - dont blame him he was picked and tried his best , wasnt good enough and he was delisted, but i bet he didnt go over there for a holiday, he will be a better player now than when he left.

alex gilmour never played - ( but he is stil a good player non the less )
in fact you will see him play a significent role in the devils team this year as he did when playing for coburg through out his stint at richmond.

when talking about "the worst draft pick" dont aim it at the players , there all trying to get a game, what about some direction in the comments going to the clubs that picked these people in the first place, they have "invested" in these players on the basis of them thinking he is better than jo blow down the street, shouldnt they then be critised for their role in the draft?

i ask you !

Would have to agree their cobba, at the end of the day he can still say he played leagu footy which is alot more then most can say who write on this site, including me!

thurley wasnt that bad, who could forget the running back with the flight of the ball mark.

i agree you cant blame the blokes who got drafted, blame the clubs. hell if i got drafted id be over their in a second, smashing birds and living it up!

i still stand by that western bulldogs pick 19 in the 05 draft of wells was putrid

Would have to agree their cobba, at the end of the day he can still say he played leagu footy which is alot more then most can say who write on this site, including me!

thurley wasnt that bad, who could forget the running back with the flight of the ball mark.

i agree you cant blame the blokes who got drafted, blame the clubs. hell if i got drafted id be over their in a second, smashing birds and living it up!

i still stand by that western bulldogs pick 19 in the 05 draft of wells was putrid

yes hands down Jesse Wells is by far the worst tasmanian based on football ability at the time drafting ever.
he cant play
the others mentioned have ability, wells does not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only Tim Hazell listed in the National Draft '99 on Wikepedia is said to have come from Southern Districts in the Northern Territory.

That may have been Southern Districts Cats, in the TSFL (or whatever the league was called shortly before extinction). Anyway, why wasn't Riewoldt on that list, everyone seems to think he is Tasmanian (he left shortly after I towelled him up while playing for the Kingston Tigers Black under 8 side against his Sandy Bay Seahawks)... And Tom Davidson, he was here until he was 15...

Good to see Wingnut training with the Tiges, hopefully this time common sense prevails...

That may have been Southern Districts Cats, in the TSFL (or whatever the league was called shortly before extinction). Anyway, why wasn't Riewoldt on that list, everyone seems to think he is Tasmanian (he left shortly after I towelled him up while playing for the Kingston Tigers Black under 8 side against his Sandy Bay Seahawks)... And Tom Davidson, he was here until he was 15...

Good to see Wingnut training with the Tiges, hopefully this time common sense prevails...
Yeah he played for the Southern Districts down here. Went to school in the south of the state. Went ok in the few games he played but wasn't given a real good chance.

Wikepedia is wrong!!

Where are they now?
Just as a matter of interest below are most of the names drafted since 95 beside them are the number of AFL games played. How many returned to the State and continued playing or made a name for themselves elsewhere? Fill in the blanks
'99
Danny Roach - 1
'02
Luke Shackleton - 1
'03
Billy Morrison

Tell ya what, and it pains me to say it, Collingwood would have to be hard pressed to get done for worst Tasmanian draft pick.

Danny Roach was picked 12 picks before Brad Green when everyone was saying we were gonna pick Green.

Morrison was spoken of as being "Jonathan Brown like".

Now flat out getting a game for Port Melbourne.

Shackleton? Flat out getting a gig with the Devils!

They send me mad, Wilbur!

Where are they now?
'95
Adrian Burdon Carlton/S.A
'96
Daniel McAllister - 5
Leigh Brockman - 12 S.A
Mark Harwood - 30
Gerrard Bennerr - 32 S.A
Russel Robertson - 205
'97
Brodie Holland - 154
Justin Wood - 7
'98
Brady Rawlings - 158
Peter Street - 77
Luke Speers
Kurt Heazlewood
'99
Danny Roach - 1
Brad Green - 166
Patrick Wiggins - 12
'00
Simon Wiggins - 89
'01
Barry Brooks -10
'02
Jason Laycock - 42
Luke Shackleton - 1
'03
Billy Morrison
Alex Gilmour
Cameron thurley - 12
'04
Jesse Wells
Andrew Lee
Justin Sherman
'05
Grant Birchall
Sam Lonergan
Michael West

Does Rowan Andrews fit in here somewhere?? The poor bastard is footy's version of Bruce Reid. Hope he gets on the park this year....:thumbsu:

His a name that i haven't seen up there. Duncan O'Toole. He got drafted for reason i have no idea, come back and struggled to get a game with Latrobe! At least Poodle Wells could run, even though he had no heart and is still on the Transplant list, he had some sought of athletic ability to hang his hat on. Duncan could just sink piss and you know the rest!

I got another putrid draft aswell. Cale O'Keefe to carlton. Apparently they sent him home very quickly due to the amount of oil he was consuming before entering the training track.

You forget how good some of these guys were and the holes created in the teams when they were drafted(what pick they were before their names.)
'86
3 - Steven Febey, 11 - Jason Taylor, 14 - Scott Adams, 15- Andrew Wickham, 16 - Matthew Febey, 17- Trent Nicholls, 19 - Matthew Mansfield, 23 - Lyndon Dakin, 24 - Mathew Armstrong, 26 - Darrin Pritchard, 29 - Craig Walker, 33 - Simon Minton-Connell, 41 - Brett Jaffray, 42 - Anthony Loone, 50 - Alaister Lynch, 51- Andrew Herring.
'87
3 - Graeme Wright, 7 - Darren Davies, 12 - Grant Williams, 19 - Jamie Cox(Aus under 19's Captain same year), 27 - Brendon Gale, 42 - Tim Wilson, 44 - Bob Jones, 47 - Stephen McQueen.
'88
8 - Dion Scott, 14 - Stephen Byers, 20 - Adrian Fletcher, 22 - Paul Holdsworth, 25 - Colin Alexander, 34 - Daryn cresswell, 37 - Michael Strickland, 40 - Glen Johnson, 43- Daryl Griffiths, 48 - Scott Jordan, 53 - Michael Smith, 63 - Scott Davies, 67 - Peter Divenuto, 71 - Graeme Kettle, 73 - Stephen Walker, 77 - Nick Probert, 82 - Anthony Loone, 91 - Matthew Queen. Pick of the round Chris Grant at pick 105.

No records on Wikipedia for '89.

I got another putrid draft aswell. Cale O'Keefe to carlton. Apparently they sent him home very quickly due to the amount of oil he was consuming before entering the training track.

give him a break , trying to get a gig in that team at that time when Carlton the powerhouse that they were, he also had some cricketing ability in fact he in an under 15 carnival hit 3 x 100's for the week , there was another player you may know of , does RT Ponting ring a bell , he also hit 3 x 100's in the same carnival, but Cale hit more runs and had a better average than Ricky for the week.
hang your hat on that ?

i would!

give him a break , trying to get a gig in that team at that time when Carlton the powerhouse that they were, he also had some cricketing ability in fact he in an under 15 carnival hit 3 x 100's for the week , there was another player you may know of , does RT Ponting ring a bell , he also hit 3 x 100's in the same carnival, but Cale hit more runs and had a better average than Ricky for the week.
hang your hat on that ?

i would!

he would have to be the 90's version of shane watson wouldnt he. all rounder and just a sheer good looking man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back