Secondary Tasmanian Teachers/Schools

Oct 20, 2007
The Juc!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC member
Just posting to get some views on Tasmanian schools and if anyone can give first hand views of teaching/school conditions in the various schools.

I have been having a debate with my nephew who is in the last steps of securing a teaching job in Tassie for 2010. I have heard through some sources that there is a big difference in conditions between the state schools, private, catholic, anglican, etc... that is in regard to employment conditions. Is this so? I do hear that wages are roughly on par.

Are there any teachers out there in these areas that can confirm or shut my concerns down?

volcboy

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Just posting to get some views on Tasmanian schools and if anyone can give first hand views of teaching/school conditions in the various schools.

I have been having a debate with my nephew who is in the last steps of securing a teaching job in Tassie for 2010. I have heard through some sources that there is a big difference in conditions between the state schools, private, catholic, anglican, etc... that is in regard to employment conditions. Is this so? I do hear that wages are roughly on par.

Are there any teachers out there in these areas that can confirm or shut my concerns down?

I moved to Tassie this year to teach in a private school, having worked as a permanent teacher in a state school in Vic previously. It has been a good move for me - the pay scale in Tas is 'shorter' than in Vic, so I got a significant effective pay rise (plus a little extra for being at a private school). I would have moved to the state system, but the way employment is handled centrally is poor - I would have had to take a contract position for at least 12 months and had little or no say on which school I worked at.

I work closely with a Tassie teacher who moved out of the state system this year after holding a senior position at a local state school. He left because he was tired of the issues going on at his school, not because of the kids. Teachers at state schools are currently voting en masse to reject the current senior (11-12) reforms being pushed through by the Labor state government. David Bartlett stated this week that he would push ahead with reforms regardless of what teachers thought and go to the next state election (early next year) pushing the same policies.

On the upside for your nephew, I love living in Tasmania - best place in the country to live IMO. Don't tell anyone though - we don't want it getting too crowded down here :):thumbsu:

Oct 20, 2007
The Juc!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC member
Thanks for your post, the info is great.

I think my nephew will like Tassie, it seems that living in country is not big stretch or too far from the regional cities.....not quite like Victoria!

The state school system seems a little messy and typically bureaucratic, which is no surprise but it seems like the private system is a little more organised, as it should be.

Is your private school of any denomination or is it simply a private enterprise? I have got recent news from my nephew that the catholic system (or a big catholic school in Launceston??) is pretty decent in the way of pay and conditions, no forced transfers, top sporting facilities/results/orientation, good culture, etc.

Thanks for your response, it all helps!:thumbsu:

Back