State Tasmanian Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben McDermott (Qld) and Jackson Bird (NSW) head back to the mainland. Handy pick-ups for both States.

Completely understand us letting them go. McDermott seems cooked and while Bird is still a very good bowler we're unlikely to be competing for the shield title in his last few years so makes sense.

Has going back to NSW ever worked out for anyone? You'd only go back if you have something else lined up outside of cricket.
Depends what you mean by worked out. No one really moves back to NSW to further their cricketing career though. It's either because they're at the end of their career and want to move back home like Cowan or Bird or they've established themselves with Australia so know that moving back to NSW won't effect they're selection chances like Lyon or Zampa.

Siddle back to Victoria. That surprises me a touch - I thought Bird had gone cos Siddle had kind of taken his place.

Siddle back to Victoria. That surprises me a touch - I thought Bird had gone cos Siddle had kind of taken his place.
Siddle left before Bird

I'm sure I read ages ago that Siddle was leaving, ie this news isn't new.

Hi all,

Tassie losing Bird and Siddle means they lose a lot of wickets from their shield side. Who are the likely replacements?

Gabe Bell? what happened to him didn't play a game last season
Meredith will play more
Ellis availability?? might be a t20 player
Any youngsters?

Surprised they didn't try and poach one of the excess WA quicks

Yeah, he fibbed about it. He thought he had to.

Mark Ridgway figured they would never have picked him if they knew how old he really was.

When you’re a balding fast bowler getting interest from state selectors, 27 sounds a whole lot better than 33.

So when Ridgway moved from Victoria to Tasmania ahead of the 1993-94 Sheffield Shield season and started receiving calls from Tassie coach Greg Shipperd, he took six years off his age.

He knew the truth would come out eventually.

By the time a couple of teammates opened his wallet and read the date of birth on his driver’s licence, Ridgway was established in first-class cricket.

“Yeah, I got caught,’’ he says.

“They didn’t believe I was as young as I said I was, and they pinched my licence. I think it was Michael Di Venuto.

“It was too late by then. I could actually cash in on it. I’d been performing OK. So I could say, ‘You know what, I’m going OK for an old bloke, stick with me’.’’

They stuck with him right up until the 1999-2000 season when Ridgway retired. He was almost 40 and had taken more than 150 wickets for his adopted state.

Balding, sledging and swinging, Mark Ridgway was the life of the party.

Until life without cricket proved almost too much.

FULL STORY: bit.ly/46A5Xtl

South Aussie supporter here. Just wanted to say I reckon Webster is the most improved player in first class cricket over the past 18 months. I reckon he has an international future. Could take Maxwell’s spot once he retires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to imagine 2 captains who've done a worse job than Silk and Pierson today, but we're starting to look a really great shot for the final!

:mad:

I can't stand dumb batting, Wakim just handed his wicket over then. We really needed him and Jewell both still going in the morning.

I'm a touch disappointed that WA don't seem to be chasing the outright win. Given both teams' respective places on the ladder I thought it was a pretty fair target that the Tigers set, much as I wish we'd had a chance for a bowl yesterday.

Maybe WA think that, the way table currently sits, points saved against Tasmania is as good as points earned?

I'm a touch disappointed that WA don't seem to be chasing the outright win. Given both teams' respective places on the ladder I thought it was a pretty fair target that the Tigers set, much as I wish we'd had a chance for a bowl yesterday.

Maybe WA think that, the way table currently sits, points saved against Tasmania is as good as points earned?
A loss here means they miss with where Vic vs NSW is placed. A draw with Vic winning next week against Tassie draws them close to level with Tassie with a game to play.

Much rather Green get time in the middle rather than chase a poitless target which wasn't realistic at all, don't kid yourself there

A loss here means they miss with where Vic vs NSW is placed. A draw with Vic winning next week against Tassie draws them close to level with Tassie with a game to play.

But where do they end up if they successfully chase down 4.5 runs an over on a road? They're probably in the box seat to make it alongside Tassie.

Much rather Green get time in the middle rather than chase a poitless target which wasn't realistic at all, don't kid yourself there

What year are you living in? 4.5 runs an over on this pitch was eminently realistic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back