State Tasmanian Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Faulkner not named in either the Shield 13 or 2nd XI team, so looks like no 4 day cricket for him this year, or for the rest of his career. I don't think he'd warrant a Tasmanian contract if he wasn't playing for the Hurricanes.
Faulkner not named in either the Shield 13 or 2nd XI team, so looks like no 4 day cricket for him this year, or for the rest of his career. I don't think he'd warrant a Tasmanian contract if he wasn't playing for the Hurricanes.
I thought his out injured,I'm sure he will still have a lot of cricket for Tassie left,why do you think it may be the end for him playing for Tasmania?

I thought his out injured,I'm sure he will still have a lot of cricket for Tassie left,why do you think it may be the end for him playing for Tasmania?
Faulkner hasn't played a Shield game for Tasmania for about 3-4 years as his knee can't back up over multiple days of bowling and fielding. He played ODI cricket for Tasmania 12 days ago so can't see how he is injured.

Can anyone read this paywalled article about the next Shield side

TASMANIAN SQUAD: Matthew Wade (c), George Bailey, Gabe Bell, Jackson Bird, Alex Doolan, Jake Doran, Caleb Jewell, Riley Meredith, Alex Pycroft, Sam Rainbird, Charlie Wakim, Beau Webster

Silk broken arm.

Great win for Tassie v Vics.

SA up next away, and Paine will be available so I assume Doran will drop out. They'll likely include a spinner or two in the extended squad, but assume they will just use Webster as their spinner.

I think McDermott may be unavailable for the game beginning monday, as the last T20 is Friday night. Sounds like Silk will be about for at least a month.

Silk
Doolan
Wright
Wade
McDermott
Doran
Paine
Milenko
Bird
Bell
Meredith
I’d bring Rogers in for Doran there and bat Paine at 6. Rogers has put together a string of games without injury at grade level. His form isn’t brilliant but they need him in the side and at his form from 2017/18.

Gonna bump this. Any idea on the squad (probably around 18 players) heading over to SA? I'd go with:

Batsmen: Doolan, Doran, Jewell, McDermott, Paine, Silk, Wade, Wakim, Webster, Wright
Bowlers: Andrews, Ellis, Freeman, Bell, Meredith, Bird, Rogers, Rainbird

McDermott
Silk
Wright
Wade
Webster
Paine (+)
Andrews
Ellis
Bird
Bell
Meredith

Gonna bump this. Any idea on the squad (probably around 18 players) heading over to SA? I'd go with:

Batsmen: Doolan, Doran, Jewell, McDermott, Paine, Silk, Wade, Wakim, Webster, Wright

McDermott
Silk
Wright
Wade
Webster
Paine (+)
Andrews
Ellis
Bird
Bell
Meredith
Think it was reported the other day that Wade is sitting out the first couple of games to spend time with family. Leaves that batting line up looking pretty thin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it was reported the other day that Wade is sitting out the first couple of games to spend time with family. Leaves that batting line up looking pretty thin.
Probably means Doolan will open and McDermott bats at 4

McDermott
Silk
Wright
Wade
Webster
Paine (+)
Andrews
Ellis
Bird
Bell
Meredith

Siddle?

It's the shield to start the season too right?

Doolan
Silk
Wakim/Webster/Ward
McDermott
Doran/Wright
+Paine
Webster/Andrews
Siddle
Ellis/Bell
Bird
Meredith

If Wade is unavailable something like that I guess. Could pick about 15 different batting line ups and wouldn't be able to guess it. Wade aside you have about 8 of them at about the same level so selection would just come down to their pre season form.

Mycricket have posted a 16 man squad for the Tigers 1st match on Sat.

Suspect may lineup something like this:

Silk
Doolan
Wright
McDermott
Wakim
Webster
Paine
Siddle
Ellis
Bird
Meredith

Bell, Rainbird, Andrews, Doran, Ward (rookie)

Contracted players not named: Wade, Neil-Smith, Pyecroft, Rogers, Jewell

Mycricket have posted a 16 man squad for the Tigers 1st match on Sat.

Suspect may lineup something like this:

Silk
Doolan
Wright
McDermott
Wakim
Webster
Paine
Siddle
Ellis
Bird
Meredith

Bell, Rainbird, Andrews, Doran, Ward (rookie)

Contracted players not named: Wade, Neil-Smith, Pyecroft, Rogers, Jewell
I'd be surprised if Andrews didn't play. You need a front line spinner better than Webster in SA. Especially at local grounds. Probably drop Wakim for it

Statistics over the last two Shield seasons:

Bell: 15 games, 52 wickets at 27.57
Meredith: 13 games, 47 wickets at 28.72

Meredith has a slightly higher average, and a much worse economy rate, but a superior strike rate and a higher wickets per match ratio. All in all it isn't a clear cut choice either way, to say otherwise is dumb

Statistics over the last two Shield seasons:

Bell: 15 games, 52 wickets at 27.57
Meredith: 13 games, 47 wickets at 28.72

Meredith has a slightly higher average, and a much worse economy rate, but a superior strike rate and a higher wickets per match ratio. All in all it isn't a clear cut choice either way, to say otherwise is dumb

Career comparison:

Wickets/AvS/REcon
Bell (22 matches)83 @ 24.8550.62.94
Meredith (16 matches)51 @ 31.7852.63.62

Anything else?

Career comparison:

Wickets/AvS/REcon
Bell (22 matches)83 @ 24.8550.62.94
Meredith (16 matches)51 @ 31.7852.63.62

Anything else?

So Bell should get the nod on the back of what he did more than two seasons ago? Righto champ

Seriously though it is not a clear cut call at all. I probably do think Bell is a SLIGHTLY better bowler at this stage of his career, but with Bird and Siddle locks I would probably lean to Meredith as he has extra pace to offer a point of difference. Of course there is a chance they will both play, definitely think they will go in with four seam options

If you are picking 4 quicks then I don't see the point in picking 4 that are basically exactly the same, right armers bowling 130ks, so would pick Meredith personally. I wouldn't be comfortable going in with Andrews as a frontline bowler but suppose is possible if the pitch is going to take spin.

Meredith, Stumps Day 2:

19 overs
1 maiden
1/96
Econ: 5.05 runs an over

Bring in Gabe Bell already.

Unsurprisingly, our batting has let us down again.

It's a terribly weak batting lineup.

What happened to the days when Tassie could produce its own quality batsmen by the way?

Yeah Meredith was poor (from what I saw anyway, watched a lot more of SA v WA)

But that doesn't make your claim about their respective recent Shield records any less inaccurate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back