Local Tasmanian Womens Footy - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...n/news-story/6d0f10a4e4a892559742e938fb761f61

THE push for a Tasmanian team in the AFLW has received a big boost with Susan Alberti saying she will put her considerable influence behind the campaign.

Dr Alberti is the inaugural ambassador for the AFLW competition, was vice president of the Western Bulldogs and is one of Australia’s leading businesswomen and philanthropists. And she is a fan of Tasmania having a side in the national women’s football competition.

“I would love to see Tasmania with a team. We’ve got some of your wonderful players playing in our teams,’’ she said.

“You just have to keep lobbying hard, get the talent and the resources and then why not?”

AFL chief executive Gill McLachlan this month said he hoped Tasmania would have a team in the AFLW competition “sooner rather than later”, but when the bidding for licences opened last year Tasmania was blocked from applying because the AFL limited submissions to existing clubs.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/fdac83f7f4f9833c9ace8b97f23403e0

AFL Tasmania won’t be hiding any of its best talent from the AFLW draft, even with the state to enter a combined team with North Melbourne in 18 months time.

Five Tasmanian players — Loveth Ochayi (Tigers), Launceston trio Daria Bannister, Georgia Hill and Courtney Webb, and TSLW leading goalkicker Jacinta Limbrick (Clarence) — hope to have their names read out by an AFLW club on Wednesday for the second season of the competition.

Bannister, a tough inside midfielder, is considered the state’s top prospect.

AFL Tasmania football development manager Leigh Elder said it would be tough for all the girls to get selected as there was likely to be only 16 live picks from the Victorian clubs, where the Tasmanian players have nominated in playing.

“My preference would be the five that are ready to go on top of the four we have, I hope they all get picked up and get that 12 months experience in a high performance culture so they come away better,” Elder said.

“I’d love to see Loveth get an opportunity because she will learn so much being in that high performance model.

“She will come back a better footballer, a better athlete and a better person for it. We hope that’s the case.”

Ochayi turned heads at the recent AFL draft combine finishing top 10 in four tests.

The 18-year-old said she had spoken to some clubs but had no idea if she would be selected.

“I haven’t tried to think about it too much, it is a bit nerve wracking but hopefully it all goes well,” Ochayi said.

But she was confident she could have an impact at the highest level if selected.

“I’m a very quick learner and very adaptable. So clubs can definitely teach me the positions they are looking for. I’m very fit and athletic so I think that is a good step up.”

Those who miss out can still be selected as a free agent or in the rookie draft.

Female GR AF is having strong growth in Tasmania since 2017- & it will be given a further major boost with Tasmania joining the female, elite Victorian U18 NAB League, on a full time basis, in 2020.

I assume they will only win a few games- but the girls will see the elite skill & fitness standards that are required. Professional expectations & training will be established.

Unfortunately, Tas. male GR AF is still poor, re regd. club nos. & standards- but it, also, is starting to be rebuilt, after many years of neglect.

It is very likely the Tasmanian 19th team Bid will demonstrate a Tas. team is financially sustainable, & Tas. will join the AFL c. 2025.
This will provide a major boost to the demoralised GR AF, excitement for AF in general, & the Tas. elite pathways in particular. An AFL team will enable Tas. to fight back against the huge growth of soccer & basketball player nos. in Tasmania.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An historic day for Tas. female AF in particular, & Tas. AF in general, when the Tas. female U18 side plays its first game, as a regular competitor, in the Vic.based elite female NAB League. They will play the Oakleigh Chargers at Nth Hobart Oval. The size of the crowd will be interesting.

There will be many thrashings- but, hopefully, the Tas. Devils will show improvement through the year.
There were only 7 under-age girls' teams in Tas. only 4 years ago! The 3 elite squads train in Hobart, Launny & the NW- the photos below are for each squad.
Female jnr & snr AF, however, is now having strong growth in Tas.

Photos & articles on the team are fromThe Mercury, The Examiner & The Advocate 5.3.20.
Behind a paywall- can anyone open, & post here.

Last edited:
Women’s footy in Tasmania has gone from strength to strength in the last few years and as more women get involved the more hidden talents are uncovered.
While there were a host of established star female footballers throughout the state at the start of season 2021 we have pulled together 53 of the lesser known names in women’s grassroots footy who came from the clouds this season and made massive improvements to make a name for themselves as players to watch in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back