Tassie football in crisis (again)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also a piece from Premier Hodgman saying the AFLs actions have not been good enough. That equates to tough talk from him. ;)
Weak Willy Hodgman! He was weak as piss when he was president of the SFL and did nothing.
Wasn't he the longest serving Opposition Minister in either Tasmanian or Australian Parliamentary history? Because he weak and never stood up for anything.
Got elected to his second term as Premier the other week after doing nothing for four years only because ALP and the Greens have a massive stench about them and ran Tasmania into the ground on their watch which people won't forget anytime soon.

Like any bully they go missing when things get dinkum. They didnt shove North to the Gold Coast, but they support them to raid the purse of the Tassie taxpayer.

The representatives of the "Tassie taxpayers" actually invest in a business proposition that returns a 165% profit to the state and it's businesses.

The representatives of the "Tassie taxpayers" actually invest in a business proposition that returns a 165% profit to the state and it's businesses.

Indeed & thats an argument why the State should have its own team. The money North reap should be staying in Tas.

Indeed & thats an argument why the State should have its own team. The money North reap should be staying in Tas.

Yeah, but they get to watch north. Why would they care about local footy?

Staggered to hear Burnie looks at an 8 hour bus trip (in toto round & back) to play in Hobart.

Hark back to WA 50+ years back:
In 1963, Claremont initiated a scheme whereby some of its key players, notably Alan Mycock, Brian Fairclough, Vern Orr, Ian Brayshaw and Des Leo were flown to Perth from various country centres each Saturday. The scheme endured for several years and undoubtedly made an important contribution to the club's 1964 ...
australianfootball.com › Articles

Couple of more than handy footballers there.

Staggered to hear Burnie looks at an 8 hour bus trip (in toto round & back) to play in Hobart.

Hark back to WA 50+ years back:
In 1963, Claremont initiated a scheme whereby some of its key players, notably Alan Mycock, Brian Fairclough, Vern Orr, Ian Brayshaw and Des Leo were flown to Perth from various country centres each Saturday. The scheme endured for several years and undoubtedly made an important contribution to the club's 1964 ...
australianfootball.com › Articles

Couple of more than handy footballers there.
yeah, our state leagues is actually a state league, not a capital league like most other places. We have(had) as many teams outside of Hobart than within.

Travel can be done if the players are well compensated as others have said. There is no travel drama for the NW teams for soccer or netball and yet the states biggest code doesnt have a males NW team in its biggest comp.......

yeah, our state leagues is actually a state league, not a capital league like most other places. We have(had) as many teams outside of Hobart than within.

Travel can be done if the players are well compensated as others have said. There is no travel drama for the NW teams for soccer or netball and yet the states biggest code doesnt have a males NW team in its biggest comp.......

Understand Bob, just that I had never considered the travel involved, ignorance on my behalf - its sure relevant & the caretaker of our game should address & pay for whatever plane does the job, not some KingAir ..

These are the distances between Hobart CBD and each State League venue used in either the TFL Statewide League or the current TSL.

West Park Oval (Burnie): 327km
Devonport Oval (Devonport): 281km
Windsor Park (Launceston): 207km
UTAS Stadium (Nth Launceston): 202km
Youngtown Oval (Sth Launceston): 194km
Huonville Rec. Ground (Southern Cats): 38km
Boyer Oval (New Norfolk): 36km
Richmond Rec. Ground (Clarence): 27km
Snug Park (Sandy Bay): 25km
Lauderdale Oval (Lauderdale): 19.5km
Kingston Twin Ovals (Tigers FC): 14km
KGV Park (Glenorchy): 8km
Blundstone Arena (Clarence): 7km
Queenborough Oval (Sandy Bay) 3.5km
North Hobart Oval (Nth Hobart): 2.5km
TCA Ground (Hobart): 1.7km

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan admits there's no easy way to solve Tasmania's footy crisis and boost the state's junior participation levels.

The League boss on Wednesday met local league and government figures during a whirlwind trip to the state, which recently lost two teams from its top competition.

He announced Carlton coach Brendon Bolton and AFL legend Nick Riewoldt would form part of a 'steering' committee, tasked with analysing the state of the game in Tasmania.

"We want Tasmanian talent competing at every level," McLachlan said.

"Today is a strong start for footy to progress in one of our founding states.

"We won't let Tasmanian football go without, but solutions are not easy and will take time."

There is growing concern among local fans the AFL is ignoring the grassroots football in the state at the expense of northern expansion and projects such as AFLX.

This season's Tasmanian State League (TSL) won't feature teams from the northwest region after Burnie and Devonport had pulled out.

McLachlan said the TSL had a "lack of relevance" for recruiters.

Increased funding and a conference system for the state league and a Tasmanian team in the NEAFL, VFL and under-18 TAC Cup are options that will be considered by the committee.

But those campaigning for Tasmania to have its own AFL team shouldn't hold their breath.

McLachlan said that won't be a possibility until after 2021 when deals with North Melbourne and Hawthorn expire.

"I'd love Tasmania to have an AFL team," he said.

"I think Tasmania deserves their own team, but I'm really real about the chances of having one."

McLachlan announced an immediate $200,000 injection to subsidise junior players' levies.

"Being able to get that small win, that's great for families and the talent program so there's no barriers for them to participate," newly appointed AFL Tasmania CEO Trisha Squires said.

Squires will be on the committee, chaired by McLachlan, which has a June 30 deadline to decide on a state-wide fix.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-21/committee-tasked-to-save-tasmania-crisis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understand Bob, just that I had never considered the travel involved, ignorance on my behalf - its sure relevant & the caretaker of our game should address & pay for whatever plane does the job, not some KingAir ..
all cool. People think Tassie is small and everything is close by but that is not the truth. Our wild west coast and central highlands are some of the most rugged terrains and untamed parts of the world. For that reason, the highway from Burnie to Hobart goes to Launceston first and then down to Hobart.

I always thought the people of the West Coast were the true nutters. Play on gravel at home and the shortest away trip is an hour an a half in Burnie area.

Problem solved in Tasmania, the AFL have formed a taskforce.
The AFL have decided that their trusted formula of having taskforces and meetings will resolve the issue.
All words no action as usual by the AFL. Great work again Gil.

That follows the old political ploy. Only appoint a 'task force' when you already know the outcome. ;)

Problem solved in Tasmania, the AFL have formed a taskforce.
The AFL have decided that their trusted formula of having taskforces and meetings will resolve the issue.
All words no action as usual by the AFL. Great work again Gil.

yeah I mean I too thought Gil was going to go down there today and personally, unilaterally do stuff.

Please.

He is going to arrange a meeting, powerful stuff. But you knew all this already.

This was always going to end in a committee of some sort before anything was done. You know that. Its how these things work. Its how they've always worked. It should be noted that -
  • The CEO of the AFL is himself chairing the committee.
  • The rest of the committee is Brendon Bolton, Nick Riewoldt, Trish Squires (current CEO of AFL Tas), Rob Auld (AFL development and former CEO of AFL Tas), Simon Laughton (AFL state league manager)
  • The Committee will report back on April 14th on its fix for junior talent pathways, Mclachlan will return to Tasmania to deliver that in three weeks time.
  • The Committee will report back on June 30th on its fix for the TSL.
  • The AFL provided immediate funding of $200,000 to subsidise the levies of all Tasmanian junior players selected in the AFL Tasmanian talent program.
References

$200,000 in to junior development and a future TAC side tabled. A good start.

In the meantime the Tasmanian leagues/clubs need to sort themselves out, and the pollies have to start talking business, rather than buck passing.

$200,000 in to junior development and a future TAC side tabled. A good start.

In the meantime the Tasmanian leagues/clubs need to sort themselves out, and the pollies have to start talking business, rather than buck passing.

$200k for the AFL's elite pathway. Thats good for the AFL at least. I guess its a form of 'trickle down'.

The AFL needs to sort out its own competition.

The overall structure of football needs a collaborative approach to sort out its problems.

Pollies did/do talk business. They probably demanded more meetings & footy tickets. :(

That follows the old political ploy. Only appoint a 'task force' when you already know the outcome. ;)

A bunch of people in Melbourne will fix it - thats why WA fights so hard to control their own destiny.

No doubt this body will be transparent with its constituency ie Taswegians, but i wont hold my breath.

They need a prominent Tasmanian to whip up some passion and set up for TAS19, a 2019 campaign for The 19th licence, to come in 2022. It would probably fail, but if Tas want a team then need a fully costed proposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back