TAS Tassie... happening?

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I know there's plenty of threads elsewhere but this is starting to sound serious. And Caro certainly has a direct line to Gil.

"No longer if but when"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...for-a-tasmanian-afl-team-20190322-p516mb.html

Key:

- The Tasmanian government is rallying a powerful group of corporate and sporting heavyweights charged to transition Hawthorn and North Melbourne out of the island state and to establish its own AFL club by 2026.

- The AFL is privately endorsing the project, which is being driven by Tasmanian Treasurer Peter Gutwein.

- League chief Gillon McLachlan has emerged as a cautious advocate for a historic Tasmanian AFL licence, unofficially advising Premier Will Hodgman as his government puts together the charter for the project group with a view to gaining entry into the national competition by 2026.

- The AFL advice is that the state would require at least 50,000 members and an initial commitment of $40 million to enter the league.

- Tasmania boasts 91,000 members across the 18 AFL clubs and contributes an estimated combined $10 million to the Hawks and the Kangaroos.

- Framework for 2026 almost finalised:

/ 50,000 members
/ A capital commitment of $40 million
/ A unified Tasmanian football community
/ AFL-standard venues
/ Increasing the Australian rules talent pool from junior ranks through to double-figure representation in the AFL
/ Designing a "respectful" exit strategy for Hawthorn and North Melbourne

It won't happen tomorrow, but sounds like this is very much on.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Amazed by the 91k members stat. You'd have to like their chances of getting 50k for a local side.

Govt is already contributing $10m, it's just going to North and Hawthorn.

They already have two home grounds at AFL standard.

Need some more corporate support, and to get some kids coming through to the league.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Where does North Melbourne go after this?
Darwin? Cairns? Newcastle? Albury? back to Canberra with GWS going Sydney full time?

It’ll be interesting to see what North and Hawthorn do. Will they just bring those games back to Melbourne? Will they look at another location, that could get some AFL footy?

Jul 30, 2012
Just behind you...
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tassie
I would love to see a team in Tassie; but I genuinely think the biggest issue is going to be player retention.

It's a beautiful place, but how many AFL players are going to want to live there?

48 minute flight to Launny from Tullamarine, it ain't that far.

Will be good for Tassie and they will get a heap of support for their team that they truly have as their own.

Crowds and membership numbers for a team they can actually call their own will not be a problem at all IMO.

Choosing between Launceston and Hobart for the most home games ( Training Base and team HQ etc ) will be the biggest obstacle and those 2 cities hate each other from what i am told from a few mates that are from Tassie.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Will be good for Tassie and they will get a heap of support for their team that they truly have as their own.

Crowds and membership numbers for a team they can actually call their own will not be a problem at all IMO.

Choosing between Launceston and Hobart for the most home games ( Training Base and team HQ etc ) will be the biggest obstacle and those 2 cities hate each other from what i am told from a few mates that are from Tassie.
The Tassie cricket side plays out of Hobart. I presume cricket folks from Launceston still support Tasmania in the Shield.

So I don't reckon the location of the footy team's main base will be a major stumbling block.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
I would love to see a team in Tassie; but I genuinely think the biggest issue is going to be player retention.

It's a beautiful place, but how many AFL players are going to want to live there?
nail. head.

everyone wants a team in tassie, but the players wouldn't wanna stay there.

The Tassie cricket side plays out of Hobart. I presume cricket folks from Launceston still support Tasmania in the Shield.

So I don't reckon the location of the footy team's main base will be a major stumbling block.

Hope not and Tassie deserve their own team the whole state can call their own.

It is a beautiful part of our great country. :thumbsu:

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
because its freezing in winter.
there is f all to do in terms of entertainment. If you're in nature and hiking and camping its a different story.

I love tassie and I love hobart, but if you get offered similiar money to your job in Melbourne it'd be a pretty easy decision.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
because its freezing in winter.
there is f all to do in terms of entertainment. If you're in nature and hiking and camping its a different story.

I love tassie and I love hobart, but if you get offered similiar money to your job in Melbourne it'd be a pretty easy decision.
Everyone's different, some will like it, some won't. You can say the same about any of our cities. I don't think your concerns are valid, but hopefully we will get to see.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
As a young AFL player with a fair bit of coin, what would be the attraction of living full time in Hobart/Launceston over Melbourne, Sydney, Perth ect?
I hear the Gold Coast is an awesome place for young cashed-up types. The Suns must have awesome player retention.

Oh wait...

Back